Masters Running

Kudos to the TN State Park Running Tour (Read 399 times)

I just had to tell all of you what a wonderful deal this is.  The Tennessee State Parks Running Tour begins in October and ends in March. To qualify for a year end award, you must run in a minimum of 5 races. (There are 20 altogether).  Each race is held at a different state park in TN and costs only $6 each.  As if that isn't enough of a bargain, you get to run on some of the most beautiful trails in west, middle, and east Tennesee.

Since I got injured in January, I was only able to complete the minimum 5 races, the last of which was last Saturday.  It was held at Fall Creek Falls State Park in Pikeville, TN, and if you ever get a chance to go it is beautiful. It is a 15k of hills, and the scenery, even in March, is incredible.

The final banquet/awards for the season is held that night.  The Kid and I got the package deal, which was a room at the inn, dinner and breakfast, all you could eat, for less than $70 each.  But here's the real kicker....everyone who managed to complete 5 races, no matter what place you came in overall got all the following goodies at the banquet:  a fleece jacket w/ a TN St. Parks logo on it, a heavy duty red gym bag, also w/ the logo, a license tag for your car, and a lovely colored certificate stating your overall place. (mine was 5th out of 7th in the Senior Grand masters).  Well worth the time and money to do this series if you are fortunate enough to live anywhere near Tennessee. Next year, my goal is to do the maximum of 10 races and come in first!  Those who place 1st are awarded an engraved plaque in addition to all the neat stuff above!  

wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like a wonderful race series, and at a great price!  How can they afford to do it so cheap?  It would be great if other states did something similar. Colorado has some wonderful state parks and I've run races in several of them.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

VERY cool helen//...........and it IS a beautiful StatePark

unless you get a room next to the geese

(don't ask)

buddy of mine JC Kelley was running that for Years............good guy, kinda tore up at the moment.

but this is a

Plus Race for Tennessee,

anyone that can should try it.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TW, our room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking the beautiful lake.  I can imagine that ground floor rooms might have a geese problem, but really, tell me the story!

Wildchild, I do NOT KNOW how they do this so cheaply.  The best part, which I left out, is that all the races are small, as in usually under 100. PLus there are a lot of us older runners.  There were three sharp competitors in the 70+ ladies, one of whom usually beats me!

And, since you've got me going, the Halloween race, which is one of the first ones....is a hoot as they give 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes. The Kid and I went as H1N1 and jogged around in ridiculous pig hats (you may remember the pix I posted) and we won first place, w/ a prize of $100!

PLus there are a lot of us older runners.

Ehem -  I believe that would be seasoned runners.  Congrats on the overall placement.

And nice shwag!!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...helen//.......the story is

Never Give Crappe' to the CheckIn Clerk

when

trying to get a room on your StateEmployeeDiscountCard

as Pickles

found out

when she did just that.

I hate

Geese

to this very day

and fatozzig is right, ''Seasoned'' is the word.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Fatozzig, I stand corrected.  Embarrassed

TW - you never cease to amuse/bewilder/fascinate me Roll eyes