Masters Running

December 26 Runs and Sugar Crashes (Read 480 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm doing something I almost NEVER do.....I'm NOT doing my run first....

I'm going to finish my coffee and run out to hit a couple "after-Christmas" sales....The blue iciciles we hang on the house are getting kind of faded.  I wanted to get some of those expensive LED light sets, but couldn't bear the thought of paying $40/strand.  At 50% off, I can afford them more easily.....

Plus, Target opens at 7am, and I need to exchange DD's new portable CD Player/Radio, since I somehow managed to snap the antenna off it getting it out of the box....

I took the plunge and weighed myself, too...

(sigh)

Now why did I do that? 

We're taking the kids bowling later, but I'll get a run in somewhere before that.  Tomorrow is the family gathering at my dad's house, the final big eat-fest.  Next week I can try to skim off some of the excess poundage I've put on this week.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Florida

Have a GREAT day, Holly!  Thanks for den mothering 40/40. 

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, I can post this morning....first time I have been able to in a long time because of my web tv setup - OMG, Holly choosing shopping over running (grins)....have fun Girl, and I know you will get your run in later - My running has been going well, but I needed to take a few days off because I have been over doing it lately. I got waaay behind my goal of 2000 miles for the year because of multiple issues that most of you all know about. But I am close enough, that between now and the end of the year I will reach my goal just fine. I did cycle around 4000 miles too this year, so that kept me in great shape when I couldn't run....lots of fun too, except for my crash (ouch) - I also have some good news....I hope. I think I have a new job that will be perfect for me. I got a call from a guy that heard about me, and is opening a new Collision Center. He is looking for the best manager he can find to run this Business, and he wants a person who he can just give a key and checkbook to and make it happen (which I am good at) This has been going on for weeks now with me competing with 58 other prospects. It is down to me and another guy, but after spending 6 hours with this Owner Thurs, he pretty much assured me that the job is mine. He is still waiting for our background checks to come back, and I have nothing to worry about there....except for some murder and robbery charge a while back (smiles)....Ok, that really isn't funny, but I am a goof ball - This new shop is about 45 minutes away, and that's not really to bad of a drive. And boy.....talk about a State of the Art Shop. My own big fancy office - Secretary already in place - Company Car - and I get to hand pick my own employees / Techs. But just for the record, as I can't get my hopes up too high - or your's either. There is a small chance the job could go to the other applicant, so I am being careful NOT to set myself up for a big let down, as that woudn't be the end of the world if I didn't get the job. I have a final meeting Monday which I think will be the day the decision will be made, so wish me luck. This shop is due to be completed in about 4 to 6 weeks, but there is tons that would need to be done before hand from the Manager setting things up - Ok, about time to get ready for my run. I haven't ran in a few days like I mentioned, so my legs feel good and hope for about 16 to 18 miles - Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and have a Great New year - And hope you enjoyed my big long paragraph.....(grins to TammySter, because she Luvs um) - TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hello everyone,

Its been really busy around here like with everyone else and my DW and I are awaiting the arrival of my son and DIL and of course our Grand Daughter in a few more days. 

Its been a good thing, being busy ,since I have not been able to run since last Sunday. My foot is feeling a lot better but not 100%. I have a feeling I may have a SF somewhere in there but the pain seems to move around.  That being said , I am still hopeful to be back at it soon. I think I may try a easy run on a treadmill Sunday or Monday if the pain continues to improve and I feel no pain running. Other than that I guess I will see a doctor next week if I feel the need.

Off to rent a carpet cleaner. If we are going to have a baby crawling around here for the nex few weeks i better get them cleaned up.

Good runs everyone

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hey look...Tim's back. Good luck with the new job prospect.

8.6 untimed and hilly miles...I cracked 1600 for the year this morning.

Now back to my regularly scheduled lethargy. Walt.

Happy day after Christmas everyone.

Holly, you get my award for the person with the most energy. I read your posts some days and think "how does she do all those things and still manage the time to do long runs?" You must take really good vitamins!  Sounds like your DD had a pretty nice Christmas - what did your DS have on his list this year?

Hi Tim! Good luck landing that new job. It sounds like the perfect situation for you - hope it all comes together and you have good news to report next week. You sure deserve it.

Twocat - nice pic of the beach yesterday, but stay out of the water! How much longer will you be "down under?"

It's cold and very icy here this morning after a couple of days of freezing rain/snow. I went to the Y and did 11 miles on the treadmill, 9:50 pace. Woo hoo! I went over the 1500 mile mark for the year and still have a week to go. Finished with inclined lunges and some core work.

We're celebrating our Christmas with the kids tomorrow. My boys had Christmas with their dad's family yesterday, and my DIL's family is celebrating today. I don't mind waiting until tomorrow, because then we'll have baby Will for the whole day, and it will probably take that long for him to open all the presents we got him!

Waiting for PDR and WRFB to post some pictures of baby Nate in his Christmas sleeper! PDR - hope your DOD is doing better. Any news on when he'll be released?

Have a good day good people.

Hi, all, and Merry Christmas.  Oh, well, I guess it's more like Happy Boxing Day, huh?

Christmas Eve was CRAZY - 45 minutes before godsons and their parents were to arrive at the shore house (a really old mobile home that's been covered in lots of snow for a week) for dinner, we realized that the pipes were frozen.  The boys' dad and I had to eat and get to church for our choir gigs, and the boys and their mom had to eat and get home (25 miles away) in time for Santa, so my mom and I quickly relocated to a Residence Inn about 15 minutes from our house.  It was nuts, but it was so much fun.  Mom had crocked the roast all afternoon and we had a full kitchen, so the meal came together easily once we got there.

Mom and I had been talking for weeks about how we didn't need to buy each other stuff for Christmas and that we'd like to do something "fun and different" together.  Little did we realize what that would turn out to be.

Stopped by the house yesterday and the water was working - hooray - and nothing seemed damaged.  We spent Christmas afternoon with the boys and their parents - my best friends - at their house and returned to our homes in PA by evening. 

Today everyone in my family is cooking part of Christmas/Boxing Day/St. Stephen's day dinner - I'm doing the turkey - and heading to my brother and SIL's new condo.  They just moved last week.  We all thought they were nuts for moving so close to Christmas, but I think the traveling Christmas Eve dinner was even more of an adventure. 

And my tree STILL isn't trimmed.  I might go with just lights this year . . . . . 

No run yesterday.  I was beat from the extra added craziness on Christmas Eve and it was still pretty icy and snowy in all of the NJ places that I could have run.  Of course, the Yaktraks were home in PA!  

It's raining today, but temps are in the high 40s, so I'm going out shortly to see whether I can still move under my own power after all of the over-eating in four counties in two states over the last 48 hours.  

Lost track of time with turkey-watching and more gift-wrapping, so did 45 minutes on the bike trainer.  A whole lot of sweating for what doesn't feel like much benefit, but a nice way to XT and not stress my tricky AT.

It's kind of cool that Christmas fell on Friday this year - feels more like a holiday weekend.  Hope y'all get to enjoy all of it!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Good morning all,  Holly good luck at the Battle of Shopping,  Tim best wishes on the job, Larry get the foot well.

Walt I can't believe you have time to schedule any lethargy, it's probably just your blood sugar crashing  

I felt like a cookie truck ran me over when I was sleeping but managed 5 miles this morning

Jlynne very nice that you get to do Christmas 3 times   

Eliz I agree that Christmas is great on Friday, I vote for making it Friday all the time,  I need a weekend to recover

Enjoy the recovery weekend!

ps.  I'm having a cookie with my coffee ( it's kinnda like the hair of the dog thing) 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Boxing Day! 

Holly, did your DD need a nap after opening her presents yesterday?    I actually had to wake my DD up at 9 am - my DH, my sister, and I all wanted to have breakfast and open presents and the D-teenager was still asleep, even on Christmas morning!

Hey TimBo!  Nice to hear from you, and I hope you get that job - it sounds like it would be perfect for you, and they will be lucky to get someone as hard-working as you.

Larry, Jeanne, and Beers, enjoy those grandchildren! Pictures, please!

I haven't run since Tuesday - way too cold and snowy.  I thought about it yesterday, but even after considering WWED, I said, NAW!  I'm gonna sit by the fire and read.  It only got up to 8° yesterday and it was windy - it would have sucked out there.  Today it's already into double digits, 16° at 10 am and not windy, so I may venture out, but it will be through unplowed windblown snow so I don't know how far I'll get.  I suppose I could go out to the rec center and run inside.  Anyway, I figure a few days off might let my leg heal up a bit.

We're going down to Denver this afternoon to visit my cousins, who have a new baby, then out to dinner and to see a performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - I got my sister tickets for Christmas.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hi to shadowrunner and ResurrectedRunner.  bike, it's good to hear from you.  I've got my fingers crossed for you on the new job. 

Nice long runs for rasmussen (with speedwork), mariposai, and jlynne (TM miles that got you over 1500 - congrats).

This morning, it was in the mid 20s with a little wind.  I got in 6 miles in enough under 60 minutes for a 9:57 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Good Luck with the job Tim...

4.5 miles with the club this morning, going to work soon...

Hope everyone had a great holiday...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Christmas Eve was CRAZY - 45 minutes before godsons and their parents were to arrive at the shore house for dinner, we realized that the pipes were frozen.  The boys' dad and I had to eat and get to church for our choir gigs, and the boys and their mom had to eat and get home (25 miles away) in time for Santa, so my mom and I quickly relocated to a Residence Inn about 15 minutes from our house.  It was nuts, but it was so much fun.  Mom had crocked the roast all afternoon and we had a full kitchen, so the meal came together easily once we got there.

OMG - I think I would have frazzled out, but you and your mom really handled this emergency with style!

Tim - excellent news!

7  recovery-paced miles for me today on legs that felt stiff and tired at the beginning, but not too bad by the end.  Hopefully I can get a good long run out of them tomorrow to help with the extra calories I am sure to take in at my dad's house.  Our family joke is that my SM puts a stick of butter into everything she cooks....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Can Go The Distance

Good Afternoon Runners,

Timbo, good to hear from you. It seems we have both come back to RA the same week! Good luck on getting that new job. Hope you had a good run this morning.

Holly, when I read your post it reminded me of an old Mervyns department store commerical here in LA where two women were standing outside waiting for the doors to open for the sale day. The one women keeps saying "Open, open, open..." I just pictured you waiting for the doors to open at Target.

I did a 15 mile LR this morning in 2:30:28 (10:02/mi) the goal was to be @10 so I was right on target. At the 1/2 marathon mark I was at 2:09, but the rest of the way is incline and uphill. The course I use is really beautiful. It starts out in the hills of Palos Verdes (if any of you have ever been to California and are old enough to remember Marineland, that is the area I live in) and then goes down to the Redondo Beach Pier. The first 13 miles are all down hill or flat, however the last two miles are the really killer. The last mile is almost straight up hill. I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it when I face the hill in the last mile of the Super Bowl 10k and when I run the Palos Verdes Marathon which is a really hilly course. I kept humming the "Rockey" theme to myself and made it through. This was the second week I have run this course and I was a little faster this week than last.

Well, thanks for listening and have a great day all.

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #3309

It took me a LONG time, but I can actually post again today (smiles) Most of the time when I click the reply button it loads - and loads - and loads, and then says "page is too big to be displayed" - I swear after I get this Job my first purchase is going to be a Lap Top Computer, where this will not happen....and I can work from home when needed - Thanks everyone for wishing me good luck.....that means sooooo much to me, more than Ya know - So very nice to see Bruce posting again, as you were missed my Friend... and nice long run too BTW - Carolyn is officially the slacker of the week. But just kidding as those temps and winds makes it tough (but wonder if "topless" may make it warmer out, grins) - I had a really Greta and fun run today. I had my mind totally set on my new job I hope, and all the things I need to do to prepare....was really cool thinking about that stuff again - 18.4 miles today - 2:55:43 - 9:33 ave pace. Boy, I really didn't know before hand that the roads would be so slick and icey....and geez did I over dress. It was 28 degrees when I started and sunny out, but it was super windy out with the wind chill at about 15.....prolly about the same for Holly. At mile 5 I had to take my gloves off, and my wind breaker which I tied around my waist. Then at mile 9 I turned around and then I was running into a VERY BRISK wind, and I put everything back on, and I was comfy. I was sweating soooo bad that my I-Pod ear buds got all plugged up, that I couldn't hear the music anymore. But I am really torn between listening to music while running, or not. I really enjoy it either way, so it's really not a big deal either way. - Hope everyone had a Great Day......and has a Great Night and Sunday - Your Good Fren TimBo....and a long paragraph, JUST for Tampster

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. a little Hope makes the running very nice!  Good luck Monday

Holly.. I've been running later lately which is new to me too. Two good things, it's alot warmer (often IRC) and it's good practice for Boston's late start.

Ran Tory and Sadie 2 miles in the neighborhood and then drove to the dirt trail (ATT).  There were runners, bikers, walkers and horse back riders using the trail but I was mostly alone for the 10 miles (9:33 pace).  Beautiful 50° shorts and tee!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova