Masters Running

Friday, November 12, Get-Ready-for-the-Weekend Runs (Read 389 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Enke – I feel exactly as you do re DS and DD – DS was mature enough for me to leave at home alone in 6th grade, but only recently have I let DD stay home with him on those occasional school-closed days, but for longer school breaks she goes to a sitter, and I ‘m pretty sure I won’t let DD stay home alone in the 6th grade – she’s just not trustworthy enough.

Deez4doyz – I don’t blame you at all for wanting to switch to a day position – those night rotations must play havoc with your sleep schedule.

Erika – you swore off spring marathons, but you’re going to do a February 50K?

Remember that article someone posted a couple months back that said that running doubles every other day, with a day off running in between, had something like 90% more benefit than running every day?  Whatever it was, it stuck in my mind, so I decided that, instead of running 1-3 miles this morning, I would run those miles last night to make Thursday a double and Friday a day off running.  What was strange was that, although I had run 10 miles in the morning, I felt great on my 5:30pm run.  My 2-3 easy-paced miles (10:00) turned into 6 miles, and I felt like I could have gone on for another few (except I’m supposed to be tapering, so I thought I’d better stop). 

So, rest day for my legs today, just some core and upper body weights.

The bosses are gone today to a seminar, and schools are out for conferences, so the other paralegal and I are both bringing our DDs to work.  Lots of drama to be expected......Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

524 am.  Out the door for 8 miles.  Then gotta take the kids to the carpool, my car to the shop (broken side view mirror, dead dash light), then talk to some teens about the flood.  All before work.  Off I go!

Tomorrow, to DC.  Who'd running with me there?  4 days of meetings, then back to Nashville for the final days of Monkey!  Where I will get to meet Holly S!!

I am ready for the quiet of Thanksgiving...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Trent, remember the thread you started about running barefoot helping your PF? I didn't go barefoot but i got a pair of flats, asics hyperspeeds. After 1 week, I've run in them 4 times for <10 miles but the PF has improved. First 3 runs on the TM but I took them outside for the first time today. after a bit of a slow start, I got going well and felt great. Good luck with the planning. some day I'd like to "run" the monkey.

3.46 miles 8:48 pace, chilly 36°

Mile 1: 9:23

Mile 2: 8:42

Mile 3  8:31

.46       8:21

Ran 7.7 yesterday afternoon 8:38 avg pace. Real nice late Fall evening. Sun, no wind, 40s. Just awesome.

Slo

Think leaving a 6th grader home alone after school for a few hours is concerning......try leaving your two teenagers home alone overnight ! DW and I are going to a retirement party and will likely be staying the night in my hometown. That will leave my DS (HS Senior) and our oldest DD home alone. We're shipping our youngest off to Grandma's.

We have spies

1hr 23 mins. 6 loops of moderate hills.

Looks like rain followed by some cold air.

Half day today at work. Enjoy the day !

Good news George----hopeful anyway and hope that PF is going, going, gone!

4 miles easy at 6:45 am, no watch, 27º and beautiful clear blue sky----great weekend weather ahead too.

Back atcha wannaberunner and I agree with jdmom3. A 3:00 or sub 3:00 is in your future and I think you are just starting to see what you can do with non-injured training. A 3:22 in NYC in your seond ever marathon. You go! Congrats to you and dreamless for great runs. Be good to your legs now.

Yesterday’s run in Central Patk was such fun. I love running there anyway and since much of the marathon "stuff" was still around, it was even more of a kick. I am thinking of running the NYC marathon again next year. That will make it 9 times since 1987. We’ll see. Met with a friend and client whose daughter runs for the number one in the nation girls cross-country team (Fayetteville-Manlius high school). They meet up with number two in the nation Saratoga this Saturday at the NY State meet and nervous but proud Dad talked strategy throughout the whole loop.

Great to see Mara[posai back and I need to save some uninterrupted time to read her report. I love reading aout all the race and meet up plans for 2011. I’d love to run a race further afield, but want to stay close to home so I can be around as much as possible for the kiddo’s events.

I travel for work enough as it is. My retirememt plan will include traveling for races all over the world for sure, but that’s years away!

Speaking of work---time for a string of conference calls. Hockey game tonight, spectating at the Western Mass x-c champs in Pittsfield tomorrow and another of the kiddo's hockey games, I am running a half-marathon on Sunday and going to another hockey game….it will be Monday after I blink a few times!

Is OBX this weekend lamerunner? I should go look. If so, GOOD LUCK!

dg....I am thinking that Boogie the beagle is teaching Sadie how to unwrap chocolate bars while hiding the evidence and Chester is showing her how to shed a whole sweater worth of fur in one shake. Lots of friends to frolic with now. Yesterday's posts made my eyes moist many times.

Good Luck with the drama Holly. Trent, you are in for a treat---Holly is awesome!

Leaving later today to spend a long weekend in AZ with my parents.  It so far away we don't get to see them often enough and the years are piling up.  Looking forward to seeing how they're doing - especially my Mom with her (recently diagnosed case of) emphysema.  Cry  Not fair.  Never smoked a single cigarette.

I'm hoping to get in some hikes and maybe a little trail run in the Red Rocks.  Never done a trail run and that sounds like fun!  I've been so frazzled for time this week that I'm not at all sure if I've packed right.  I just threw some things in and it's supposed to be quite chilly there.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Ojo

I have 10 and 12 year old boys that I leave home for short periods of time.  We are lucky enough to have a Stay at Home Alone class run by the police department that teaches them what to do in case of an emergency.  Most important was for them to learn was that in case of a fire, they should leave the pets and get themselves out of the house.  They are good boys and get along really well so I don't have to worry.

Very sluggish 8 miles this morning -- the extra 4 lbs I have put on recently are really starting to show.  I need to start refocusing on my eating especially since I have the Las Vegas HM in 3 weeks.

CNYRunner:  Jealous that you ran in Central Park -- so beautiful there this time of the year!

Good luck to those running this weekend!

Sara

MM #2929

This is a placeholder for later.  I had to get to work early this morning so my run has slipped to this afternoon on the TM at the gym - a shame because it is so nice out today.  Oh well, I will be back outside over the weekend, which is supposed to be super nice. 

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Byll.  That really is tough.  A local runner here died of lung cancer a couple of years ago.  He had never smoked even one cigarette and was a very fast and dedicated runner.  I hope your Mom is dealing well with the diagnosis.  My father was just diagnosed with prostate cancer and is undergoing hormone and then radiation treatments.  We are all praying it goes well and he pulls through. 

Envious of CNY getting run in lots of cool places, including Central Park!  Love the idea of spending your retirement traveling and running.  I hope I'm still going by then! 

Good luck to lame this weekend!  I think the weather will be nice. 

Once a runner . . .

Mariposai

I ran a few miles for DG!! last night. I am taking today off since I need to prepare my suitcase for an over night trip to attend a board meeting. 

Holly, I would be interested to read the article you mentioned.

TempoByll, have fun with your parents!

Ojo it is nice to see you here!

Good luck to Mrs. TriTramps

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Lots of activity and travel on board, it seems. 

Wannaberunner (most inappropriate name on this site!)--I finally took a look at your log for NYC.  Wow!  Grinning at mile 24 with that kind of pace; very nice.  Congrats.

George--very hopeful!

CNY--you run in elite company there

Bill--have a good visit; enjoy the running out there

Went to a pre-race dinner last night for DW's race, which featured a a talk by members of an  "all-transplant relay team."  Three guys who have each had a heart transplant (and more) who are doing the race as a team.  Pretty neat.  It's funny to overhear snippets of tri conversations like "...and then you're all set; you've only got the marathon left to do."    Ah yes, "only the marathon"!  Roll eyes

Easy 5.1 for me today with 3 miles on the beach. Smile

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

One of our neighbors is a police officer, whenever we left for a weekend trip or longer, we would just remind them that he'd be watching the house.   Worked like a charm.    One time our DD left her car parked down on the side of the culdesac and he wrote her up a fake ticket and a towing tag.   She was so scared to tell us about it ..... funny guy!

I should have gotten up to run as today is probably the last almost spring like day!   Oh well, I had too much to do to get ready for my craft show.    Heading out at noon until Sunday.  DD#1 is taking care of all the babies tomorrow night, DH will do it tonight.  I've never left them before!   This is like leaving your newborn baby for the first time.     Next run is planned for Sunday.

Happy Friday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

[[[[[[burger's mom]]]]]]

.........Bryson Canyon

is an EXCELLENT trailrun in the RedRockCountry.......one of my favorite places..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I would be interested to read the article you mentioned.

I wish I had bookmarked it, but all I remember is that it had something to do with recovery runs.  Anyone else remember?

{{Byll's Mom}}}  {{{JDMom's Dad}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I agree with Holly's sentiments. 

No running today - lifty steppy spinny stuff.

Big news - Long-Sufferring Mrs. PBJ just started the C25K this week!  A new runner is born!