Masters Running

Sun 4/13 - Taper madness and hair styles (Read 504 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all....I got up really early this morning for some reason, so I will start us out....thought I would be somewhat sore this morning, but I am not...cool Out for a long run after while, but enjoying just relaxing and reading up on all the posts right now. Hope everyone has a great day, no matter what you are doing....just make sure the hair is right. Ok Boston folk....take a big breath and relax....your on the home stretch!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi biketm It must be contagious. After my 35 kilometers yesterday, I am not sore at all either, feeling good and will do some light spinning. If running 35K is this easy I should do it everyday. Not. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good morning all, Woke up at 6 AM and watched the remainder of the London Marathon on-line on the BBC site. Wowsa…..they make it look so easy, just floating to the finish. I almost didn’t need my morning coffee (almost!). Ryan Hall didn’t win, but still looked so strong and hit a PR (2:06:16). Men’s winner was Martin Lel in 2:05:15 and for the Women, Irina Mikitenko in 2:24:14. And how about that 101 year-old Buster Martin? Need to add beer and cigarettes to my training plan Confused After all that I headed out at 7:00 AM for 7.4 miles in 57:39---42F and partly cloudy skies. I ran solo and without the iPOD for another visualizing run. Good run and feeling fine---“I own each stride, I own each stride, I own each stride”----today’s mantra. It’s been quite the sports weekend already---Sox over the Yanks yesterday and BC romped over Notre Dame to win the NCAA DI hockey championship. There’s an interview with Lance Armstrong in today’s Boston Globe magazine. He claims he’ll be happy if he can just break 3 hours rather than the 2:40 that so many of the rags have been proclaiming. Sandbagging or just afraid of Hermosaboy? I think it’s the latter! Off to fetch Granny soon with the hope that Tiger Woods can work some magic. Thanks for the enthusiastic lead off biketm! It’s all about the look….how would I look with red hair? Maybe some purple streaks……or maybe go the Aamos route…we’ll see Evil grin Enjoy the day friends, CNYrunner
          Wow! A bunch of upbeat Masters runners this morning. I guess I'll add to that theme ... This is the last day of the last big training week before taper starts. Today's plan was for a 20 mile progression run. I didn't sleep too great thinking about it. I'm always amazed I can run down to the corner let alone to the bloody beach and back. Anyway, I wanted to start out really slow, ease into a rhythm, run by feel only, and push it solidly the last 7 or 8 miles. Hopefully, I could run an MP mile (8:35 or less) the last mile. Mission accomplished. Here's my splits. Ready for taper and all systems are Go. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Wow, Bill. Impressive run this morning. You guys are so ready! Enjoy taper week. Tall - glad you're not feeling any effects from yesterday's fine effort. Just 4 miles for me this morning in 38:10. It's only 29F and real windy here this morning. But, it finally stopped snowing so we'll take our victories in small increments. At least the sun is out. For some reason, I feel really stiff and sore today. May try to get another run in later if it warms up a little. CNY Runner, my DH says Tiger is ready to make his move today. Going from 5th to 1st place never seems to be a problem for him. Enjoy your Sunday, everyone. Jeanne
              Bill....I've got to say those are really impressive splits. What dicipline and "feel for pace" you must have to get each mile just a bit faster than previous. Very nice.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger – wow! Awesome! 3.6 miles outside in 39 degrees and light rain (mile #3 at MP), followed by these intervals on the treadmill: (3 min. HMRP/1 min. recovery) x 10 plus 1.8 mile CD = 10 miles total This was a forced effort, on tired-feeling legs, and some of those recoveries included walking segments. I don't mean to whine, but I continue to be mystified by my pervading sproinklessness, in spite of the reduction in mileage. I’m eating pretty well, taking my vitamins, getting lots of rest – I just don’t understand. It seems that all those long and slow miles have made me just that – long and slow. However, the coming week I will get lots and lots of rest for my legs, barely running at all, so maybe that will rejuvenate them and help them find their sproink. And if not, oh well. I’m really looking forward to doing shorter, more intense workouts and speedplay after the marathon stuff is over with. I think speedwork will help me find my sproink again. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Beerger - that was one beautiful progression. Wow! I treated myself to a shopping trip at Sports Authority yesterday. New blue Nike singlet, blue hat and wristbands with a blue Adidas logo (to match my blue Sauconys) for race day. I sorta wanted socks with blue trim, but I'm not going to mess with something as important as socks with no time left to test them on a long run. So I wore my new outfit today on an 8-miler at MP with lots 'o hills. All systems go. My shower caulking project is turning out to be a much bigger deal than I had expected. I'm really not very good at it. Anyone have any tips to make it more even and less messy-looking? How do the pros make it look so nice? I'll finish that off this morning, then some yard work. The mulch we bought from the local high school Band-Boosters was delivered yesterday, and it's sitting there in the driveway mocking me. Don't worry Holly! You're going to be fine.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Holly, I'm kinda with you on this sproikless feeling. I've got it also. And it makes me a little nervous. Having not run a race over 25K, I only have the more experienced folks to listen to. And they all say, trust in the training and it'll happen. So far, not one of these valued experienced marathoners in this forum has said, "I don't think you'll do worth a flip." (at least to my face Big grin ) I have heard that overtraining may leave me a little used up, but trust me that is not the case with me. And I've viewed your log...and I'm not embarrassed to say, I envy your workouts and wish I had your work ethic. Good luck to you (actually luck will have little to do with it) and have a great Boston! So that's what I'm doing....trusting my training. And you guys/gals better be right!! With any luck my next post will be about my run later today.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

My two friends and I ran the Schlotzsky's 5k Bun Run this morning in downtown Austin. It was 47 degrees, so everyone was complaining about the cold! Big grin Some folks were really bundled up, but we Mainers were wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. The race started at the river, ran up Congress Street around the Capitol, and then back down Colorado Street. There were some pretty good up hills the first half of the race, and then a long downhill towards the end. I finished 3.17 miles in 30:38 - a 9:40 pace! I've never run that fast even for one mile. My Austin friend, who's my age, has been running only a few months and not very much each week, and she beat me! I told her that she'd better keep running. The only bad part was the number of people running with dogs. One almost tripped me. I said, "Geez, be careful!" The woman didn't even apologize. I don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate. I'm glad people don't run with dogs as much in Maine. Off to my friend's yacht club to see her race this afternoon. Lots of races today!
                        Teresa - awesome 5K, girl! I was just bringing up the weather report on my log before going out to run, but had to check in to say congratulations. And thanks for inspiring me to check out "my" yacht club's racing schedule. (I'm not a member, but hang around on race days/evening and often get a chance to ride along as "rail meat.") Going to put all of the races and regattas on my calendar. Cool Running a 5K in the morning, at such a smokin' pace, and watching sailboat races in the afternoon - it doesn't get much better than that. How's this for a plan for the final weekend before school's out: sailboat race at the shore Friday evening; run a 5K on the boardwalk Saturday morning; head back to Philly for serious sibling bonding with my big brother at Jimmy Buffet Saturday afternoon and evening; be too happy to even think about suffering one final bout of Sunday night blues before September. That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it. I certainly appreciate any and all good weather and health vibes for June 13-15! Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Hang in there Holly. Evryday...you too! CNYrunner MTA: Way to go Teresa! Nice job throwing down a PR on Hometown turf!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - BregerBill - just Wow!! I was out for 12, but not fast. My goal was to keep my HR under 160 which I succeeded at until the last two miles. So overall - 12 miles, 11:17 Avg. Pace, 156 Avg. Heart rate. 33 miles for the week. Having my mom and DH's dad for dinner today. Grandkids spent the night last night and are still running around. The oldest - 8 - is doing girls on the run, so I might run the 5K with her if the scheduling works out okay. They are my step-daughter's kids - I'm really not old enough. Ha! Wink For some reason I've gotten 2 free issues of Runner's World - it sure was fun reading about Amy!! Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Breger, great run , in fact that is an understatement...awesome run is more like it... evryday and Holly.....I have been there before...During my tapers, my legs never feel refreshed...but come race day things come together.....you will be fine, your training has been right on target... And, I too am always nervous about my training before a big race...I always have to try and tell myself to believe in my training.....it is difficult....so hang in there..... With that in mind.....today out for a east 12 miler that went faster than I would have preferred.....legs are tight and sore and this dang shin keeps talking to me. Broke in my new pair of 2130's...they felt great.... Now off to wash the truck....I need something to keep my mind busy... And, the week before a big marathon, I drop the coffee and concentrate more on water..... It is serious taper time and the madness truly begins NOW!!!!!!
                                3 weeks out from my half so I did 14 miles on a paved trail 37F with light rain at 10 min. pace which was the target. DW ran with a friend for 12 miles. Lookout Pigtown here we come! Roll eyes Tim very nice race yesterday Smile Smile Smile Bill that was a fantastic workout today Cool Teresa congratulation on the PR Big grin Boomers Run the Country !

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.