Masters Running

Tue Jan 15 Runs and Whatnot (Read 856 times)

Good morning. It's been a while since I started the thread, huh? 27F at the start and 27F at the finish, too. No snow here, but looks like it's falling up in the Northeast. Easy 5 this morning -- I think I'm getting slower. Workout: 4.1 miles, AHR 151, 8:39/mi, incl 4x20s striders Overall: 5.1 miles, 44:13 Good runs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hey WRFB, where've you been hiding? 56 degrees this morning, cool and perfect. 8 miles GA at 8:46 min/mile pace. Avg. HR 138. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning Thanks for the start this morning WRFB. I don't buy the idea of you getting slow. We may check with PDR to verify. I ran 3.5 miles last night and things are improving. The black areas of the bruise have turned purple.....the purple areas have turned scarlet.....the scarlet areas have turned green (I kid you not) .....and the green areas have turned yellow. PLUS I could run simply by holding my left arm still against my body. This is a lot better than when I had to hold my hand over my chest, giving passer-by's the thought that this runner coming down the road is having a heart attack. Today is my DD's birthday......with a far bigger number than either she or I would be willing to admit. (Where DID the years go?). So I bought her an MP3 player where I could download pictures from her childhood to reflect on the ?? years. So, I found THIS picture of your's truly visiting Santa for a picture for my last time. How old is your son Holly? I am 2 months short of 9 in this picture. By the way.....prayers for Mary's SIL and all involved. Life is tough sometimes. Thanks for the solution to the snow plow problem.....apparently we have two good suggestions.....simply buy a snow blower (per PDR) or use McSolar's city workers who make the stuff never to appear. Have a great day everyone.
        Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice to see you back out there running Vista! That was a greta idea for your DD's birthday present - so personal and sentimental. That photo of you is priceless too!! Thank you SO much for the HR advise yesterday. This morning I took it all to heart (ha!) and ran as slowly as I could trying to keep it at least around 160 bpm. It was hard to keep it as slow as I did: Mile 1 - 11:29 - 158 bpm Mile 2 - 11:44 - 159 bpm Mile 3 - 12:09 - 158 bpm Mile 4 - 12:32 - 158 bpm Mile 4.5 - 12:23 - 156 bpm Average 12:01 m/m - 157 bpm I think that I may just have a higher heart rate that others - but I also still have a lingering cough so I'll just keep monitoring and eventually do a test to determine my maximum. Thanks to for all the prayers for my sister-in-law. I feel so terribly bad for her and wish there was more I could do. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Folks, Great picture Vista and I am glad you are healing... take it easy. Thanks for starting off WRFB and I can't imagine that you are getting slower. I'll add my support vibes for Mary's sister in law. Beautiful morning here in Western, MA. The snow is so white it appears blue as the skies lighten. I ran 8.7 miles with 2x 12 minutes at 7:24 pace (first one was 7:24 and the second one was 7:18) with a 4 minute rest in between. The whole run took 1:19 at 5:15 AM/26F----not a snow plow in sight! I used my snow crankiness from yesterday to fuel my speed-ups today---it's all good. Big grin Have a great one CNYrunner

Me

Good morning, 4 miles for me this morning in 37:23. We got about a half an inch of snow. It was still coming down when I was out for my run. What a beautiful morning. Cheers Mike
                Glad to see the RR from last weekend are starting to arrive! Keep them coming. Managed to get the week's speedwork done with my TP today. 9.88 miles all in with 4@7:14. Now on to two easy pace days.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jlynne

Morning Boomers - An unenthusiastic 4 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning. No "zip" for some reason. Bill, you are so lucky to be running in 50F weather. The thermometer here is on a downward spiral and we haven't seen the sun for days. I think part of my lethargic leg problem is seasonal distress disorder! Vista - great picture of you and the guy in red! It reminded me of "Leave It to Beaver." For all you people with snowplow problems, you just have to kill the drivers with kindness. When our guy went through last Sunday, I flagged him down and gave him a bottle of water and a few homemade chocolate chip cookies. While he can't avoid pushing the snow back in the end of the driveway, it looks like he's making an effort to leave as little as possible. Imagine what they'd do for a six-pack of beer! Have a great day, everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger – I’m envious of your IRCs – my favorite temp to run in is 53-56. But I know come summer I won’t be envious. Vista – what an adorable picture! And a Happy B-day to your DD. My DS is 10 right now, although he has a birthday coming up soon. Last night I made the reservations to have his party at a local roller skating rink at the end of the month. Deez4boys – that’s quite an adjustment to make... Jlynne – not sure if it's a good idea to give the snow plow driver a 6-pack of beer - he might end up driving across someone’s lawn. Smile Hill workout day: 10.15 easy-paced miles, with 4 trips up and down Big Hill Road, in 19 (feels like 9) degrees. First time since August that I’ve run this far on a workday. I suspect I’ll need a strong cup of coffee about 2pm. CNYrunner – Thursday morning forecast is 23 degrees with light snow, but right now we have only a dusting, so the roads should be clear and dry for a run if you are still coming to town. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Nice photo Vista! Nice start WRFB Hopeful... as we get older our heart rates drop. Your higher HR just means you're not agiing as fast as the rest of us Smile Nice face freezing run today. 13 mi in 1:56:27 (8:57 pace, AHR 147) First 5 mi with Tory. Had to REALLY go so made pit stop then out for 8 more. Really nice part was miles of 8:40's with AHR's 140's. Really frozen face. I could only talk like Steve Martin in The Jerk, reading that good bye letter with the running ink Big grin FS: tights, shorts, tee, LS tee, glove liners, gloves, hat. Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

Vista, you were and are an adorable human being!!! Lou is getting stronger, Lou is getting stronger, yeeepeeeeee. Great speed work in the snow CNYrunner. How can you run that fast in the snow...I would be slipping all over the place. Twocat- great speed work for you too. Holly- 10 miles in a workday, wow,what is the elevation of your favorite hill? 4 predawn miles for me this morning. 15F, the sky was full of bright stars. I decided to run around town today and hit some hilly roads instead of taking off towards the country road, which is flatter. The yak track and the face mask has given me so much freedom to running outside this year.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly- 10 miles in a workday, wow,what is the elevation of your favorite hill?
                          Mari – according to mapmyrun.com, my hill goes up over a ridge 160 ft in .40 mile, then down the other side more gently. Total distance from the start of the ridge, up and over and down to a flat point is about .85 mile. I do this 4 times on my hill workout day. Really the first side is the killer hill (for me), both going up and coming down it, then coming back from the other side it undulates more.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! Hopeful... as we get older our heart rates drop. Your higher HR just means you're not agiing as fast as the rest of us Smile
                            Now THERE is an explanation that I can live with - thanks Perch!! Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Greetings and thanks for the photo--I especially like the etching in the background. TImes were simpler, eh? I'm posting early as I need to get back on the wagon. I had another slip-up this weekend. Roll eyes No more racing for me for at least 30 days, will go to the gym today, this is day one. Good runs, all--greta report, roch. (Did I ever mention my toaster toasts Mickey into the bread and plays the Mickey Mouse theme when it pops?) Zoom! Yah! Yah! Indoor Marathon - Jan 13 - Northfield, MN Two-time defending champion Randy Peterson, 42 of Northfield MN, won the 2008 Zoom! Yah! Yah! Indoor Marathon in 3:06:55. Peterson won for the third conecutive year at the event. 2007 Runner-up Dan Kasper, 49 of Northfield MN, finished second again to Peterson in 3:08:32. David Hartz, 50 of Cold Spring MN, was third in 3:09:15. Amy Yanni, 53 of Rapid City SD, the winner of the 2008 Running From an Angel Marathon, was the first female finisher in 3:37:02. Yanni, who had five marathon victories in 2007, recorded her second of the 2008 season with the win. Cindy Lewandowski, 45 of Sartell MN, who had three top-three finishes in 2007, finished second in 3:42:10. Andrea Gelle, 22 of Lakeview MN, was third in 3:55:21. grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles
                                Beautiful morning here in Western, MA. The snow is so white it appears blue as the skies lighten.
                                CNYrunner, Exactly! It's the same here in eastern Massachusetts. This morning at 6:30 I said to Dark Mare, "Look at the back yard" -- we have tall pine trees there -- "it's a winter wonderland! The snow looks blue!" CARDIO: 3 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 8:51 pace CALISTHENICS: Stretching, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bench dips, hip exercises STRENGTH: 30 lat pulldowns, 30 dumbell curls each arm, 30 squats, 30 leg curls, 100 wrist curls with light barbell What's up with the humongous Santa picture? Scary. No wonder kids cry when they sit in Santa's lap. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.