Masters Running

Tacodaily, 10.10.23 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Happy Birthday, Joe!!

Busy day today, with an early start, so someone else can post the recap today (or not).

I have a meeting today in Concord (state capitol) with a State Representative and folks from the NH Realtors Association and the NH Landlords Association to discuss the Rep's proposed bill to require better flood disclosures for properties in FEMA flood zones that are put on the market. It should be an interesting discussion.

We put in a new thermostat yesterday and it seemed to go well until we turned on the heat and it blew cold air. I ultimately had to call Ecobee Support for help, which I got. There was one setting in the set-up that I didn't have a clue about (O/B Reversing Valve), and guessed wrong about how to set it. We did some testing and changed that setting on the call, and all is good. but I still don't know what that setting means or what it is for.

I got out at J o'clock this morning for 5.5 EZ RW miles in 46° temps under clear skies with lots 'o stars and a slice 'o moon. Then 35 minutes of stretching and core work. The knee was better than yesterday, but I still have a bunch of EZ days ahead of me, and I'm fine with that.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - just be easy on that knee.  Glad you got your heat on.

Our family room downstairs has a fireplace insert with a heater fan, along with a pretty spiffy looking fake fire. On these cold mornings and evenings, it's nice to shut the door and turn it on and get that room nice and toasty while we lounge with the dogs and watch TV. I utilized it this morning while I drank my coffee and watched the news. Love that thing.

I got about 10 minutes into my run this morning when I realized I needed to find a restroom.  Or a bush.  One nice thing about these dark mornings is that option.  I'm just hoping that handful of leaves I grabbed doesn't turn out to be poison ivy.... 

2 miles today in 42 degrees with a bright moon and stars above.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne

Good morning Jay. Thanks for the start, and I'm glad your knee wasn't quite as "vocal" this morning! Good luck with your meeting.

A belated Happy Birthday Joe! 70? You've almost caught up to me 

And also a belated congratulations to Posie on doing such a fine job running the Chicago marathon. Hope you're not too sore for your hard effort.

4.5 run/walk miles this morning. Jay, I'll never figure out how you RW a 10:00 minute mile. If I can get under 12:00 I think I'm doing good. It must be your technique!

Today is the first day in over a week that I feel halfway human. I sure hope that was the only cold I get this season (yeah, right). Off to Candyland. Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. Ah, the old O/B reverse valve switcheroo. Glad you figured it out.

TW--I like Steve's correction.

Not quite 6-miles for me today on a sunny, cool morning. Love that autumn weather.

Oh, and...while my Caps don't play until Friday, hockey's back!!!

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I would never admit it but, though growing up in the coastal rainlands along the Alexander Archipelago has immuned me to rain for fishing, hiking, skiing, most anything outdoors that you can dress for, as far as running goes that not only gets you wet but hypothermically sweaty too, unless it's a marathon, I don't intentionally go out in the rain for the sake of just getting wet, . . . I mean running without any purpose except training for something which, except about 10% of what's recommended for my first marathon in 1977, IM in 1987 and 50 mile first ultra in 2005, I don't do as, not being a competitive runner but just doing it for the enforced exercise and fitness I otherwise wouldn't get, it seems a way of cheating to make me faster than I am but, now that I'm a walker to whom the running-in-the-rain rule doesn't apply, I went out in a steady dose of it this morning under the protective cover of a real rain coat that would have kept me dry in a Bering Sea storm for a two miler down to the cityside park where, having finally after five years gotten a nice new polysomething fill winter jacket at Costco for $29.95, I left the old one plus an extra new t-shirt from the six in the Costco pack and a pair of Medicare's knee high compression socks I'll never wear down at the homeless enclave.  Incidentally, Holly, not saying why but you'd feel right at home down there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Jay.   Jeanne- glad you are feeling better.   Holly- I've been there, including with the poison Ivy.....

8.3 miles over on the path/neighborhoods on a beautiful morning- 50 degrees to start and sunny.  Warmed up nicely.  They are up on our roof putting the solar panels back on, so there's some pounding.   I think I might go get the pneumonia vaccine today.  I'm pretty sure I never got one.  Time to walk Robert Earl, so have a good Tuesday, everyone.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

A belated congrats to Posie. Your enthusiasm and elation came right through your post.

After a fitful night of sleep and a failed nap went out for a 30 minute walk and a Zoom stretch session. Feel much better. Love these early fall temps. Book club tonight with good food and good company.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps Costwalker - this one's for you.

Holly - creaky 2.3 miles but, at 43F

and no time to do it anyway,

passable as government work

of which there was none yesterday.

Dave - SRD getting ready to face off

with Mr. AG 90-94 when he gets back.

Good luck, . . . and hope that, some day,

it's you (and as many of the rest of us as possible).

KSA - 5.6 gloomy ones but at a balmy 51F.

I always though Mary Carpenter was

in Peter, Paul and Mary but, I guess,

that was Karen, . . . or vice versa.

Jay - 5.4 miles still thinking that ibu is the solution to knee problems.

ps Jay - Henry and I know better.

Tammy - keeping her fingers crossed (and ours for you) for a cloudy Saturday to deter the eclipsers from crowding out her and the 50K runners at the fantastic Crater Lake viewpoint.  Good luck, . . . but I doubt it.

Moebo - would rather have to deal with the elipsers than the rain predicted for her Sunday race but, same as the solar glasses Tammy'll need if hers clears up, meobs's ready with the well-proven here in the PNW plastic rain poncho that can be thrown off if the rain ever stops.  I hope so. Good luck.

Tom - maybe because we never forget anything and it never happens to us, sorry you got no help from us for a derogatory name for your forgetting how to do the back exercises you've been doing for the last twenty years.

ps - I'm sure . . . ,. ,. ,. .

it . . . . has nothing . . . . . . . to do with . . . . .

. . . . your prolonged pauses,

but . . . . . . it might start with a "D" . . . . .

. .  . . . . .

. . . . . .or an "A."

anneb - 5K around the 'hood remembering when marathons were so  much fun she was crying at the finish lines

Joe618 - celebrating his new 70-74 AG with another Grand Rapids Marathon up in Gerald Ford country.

Moebo - aiming for a short-sleeve Baystate Marathon wherever it is on Sunday too.  Good luck.

Stumps - still looking a fast fall marathon but, sorry to say, based on me and several others, they don't exist anymore.

Steve - three speedy miles in the middle of the night after DD and GS stopped by work to make sure he wasn't diverting his other duties of the day to more e-mails.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Karen Carpenter was half of the Carpenters.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Jay - thx for the start & listen to your bod not your mind!

Posie - congrats on a super marathon

Joe - happy bday

walked 3 miles with a friend I hadn’t seen in several months so lots of ketchup.

enjoy the day - beautiful here

marj

I took a look at the inspector's report for the house that our DS is buying and realized that I'm just never going to get out of having to maintain two houses. From the time we were married about 40 years ago I did most all the handyman work for my MIL. That ended when she moved into assisted living but now my DS will have a house and he's going to need a lot of help, at least until he learns the ropes. When I was a kid I hung around with my dad and learned a lot from him about how to use various tools, basic carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing repair, etc. My DS never paid much attention to what I was doing when he was younger, but I suppose better late than never...

Went to the gym yesterday afternoon for a general workout with strength equipment. Rode 16.06 miles indoors this morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

having finally after five years gotten a nice new polysomething fill winter jacket at Costco for $29.95, I left the old one plus an extra new t-shirt from the six in the Costco pack and a pair of Medicare's knee high compression socks I'll never wear down at the homeless enclave.  

That is so kind of you!  But not a surprise...

Incidentally, Holly, not saying why but you'd feel right at home down there.

Because they were all wearing $.99 rain ponchos?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Doug - your DS could always hire the work done....or watch a lot of YouTube videos....

anneb

I feel like this is a quality a person either has or does not... not much in between. My H has it... also its a curse now that's he's not doing everything himself anymore, he's super critical of other's work 🙄

My DS never paid much attention to what I was doing when he was younger, but I suppose better late than never...

Tet - for sure

anneb - 5K around the 'hood remembering when marathons were so  much fun she was crying at the finish lines 

I was short on time (and also just can't get up super early in the dark) and fit in 35 minutes of elliptical at the office gym. I did Garmin's interval workout and turned it into something resembling a moderate effort, so there's that.

It's only Tuesday??? Ugh.

Anne

Happy Belated Birthday Joe

Jay - hope that knee just needs a little rest

Holly - been there - many times unfortunately

Moebo - the forecast kind of stinks now, such a bummer!!

I dropped my car off for exterior and interior detailing this morning - can't wait to not have the sap all over it anymore. Next year I will be diligent about covering it in the campground. Might even test drive a Prius or something a little smaller than the Rav4 to make pulling a cover over it easier. I just really need something with AWD to get to work during the winter - a snowstorm is not an acceptable reason to stay home 

Ran 5 miles from the detailer back home with a 30 minute interval run programmed between a 10 min warm-up and a 10 min cool-down. I find if I preload the runs from the Peloton app, it doesn't lose connection out running. Plus I can stack them so they play in the right order. It was a good run and I like knowing I can pick up the pace on the intervals. Did some strength and stretching once home and now have a nice pot of Lentil soup on the stove!!

denise