Masters Running

Thurs - 11/29....time is flying by (Read 382 times)

More new people.  I love it. Welcome.  Holly, congrats on the 2000 miles.  marj, I don't know what to think about the article on older runners as far as being bad for their health.  I do know that this 68 year old doesn't like the idea of runners in their mid 50s being considered old.  Dave, I'm glad to hear your procedure didn't turn up anything worse.  I hope you can get a handle on dealing with the problem.  stealth, good job on the 11 day streak.  I agree, though, that a break sounds better than continuing it.  evan, I can't fathom a temp of -30° and I don't want to learn about it first hand. 

Nice long runs for Mike, baboon (a couple and one with speedwork), and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for CNY.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a little wind.  I got in 5 miles at a 10:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Great looking calves, Tet.  Yessiree, bob.

Today was an hour of core/strength training, and I'm definitely glad it wasn't a run day.  The wind last night and until about 6:00 a.m. was vicious, and now we're having heavy rain.  Flood watches are in effect through the weekend, and the City is supplying sand and sandbags free of charge to anybody in need.  We have a sump pump ready and waiting since in this kind of weather we always end up with standing water under our house due to the slight slope from the alley behind us all the way to the front of our property.  Any trail running Saturday will be dependent up on the winds as I don't need any branches landing on my head!

I'm behind on the bookkeeping here at work since I was gone last week, so today and tomorrow are designated bookkeeping days. . . . . somebody just shoot me, please. Dead

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I am typing this from my phone on a train on my way to a colloquium. Which is a fancy way of saying a meeting with a bunch of people who mistakenly believe anybody cares what they say or think.

In direct disobedience of orders from mariposai I did a TM 1m walk- 2m run - 1m walk this morning. I woke up and my ankle felt fine so I figured I would give it a shot. I will know the results in the morning as that is when the soreness returns if my ankle is unhappy.

Regarding that running distance while old article I need to hunt down the published studies. One of the researchers said his only agenda is his patients' health. Poppycock! An academic's career depends on others accepting his research's conclusions and building on it. No one has a stronger agenda than an academic defending his work. Since it was a "he said, she said" article I suspect the reporter either never read the source material or if he did was unable to understand it. More later when I get my hot little hands on the published papers.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Obviously I missed something.....what is it exactly that happened that brought the influx of folks?  Not that I mind, just curious.....did Active.com move in and take over another forum?

Tet and BerthaSlayer - nice outfits.

Byll - nice to see you!

Twocat - you are my hero when it comes to research....Smile

Today was the first day in recent memory that I called in sick to work.  This crud is wearing me down, and the cough, when gets started, is vicious.  Still, I brought home files in anticipation of this possibility and was able to get a half-day's work done, between napping and coloring my hair....Joking.  Tomorrow I have to go in to work, as I have some Medicaid and VA benefits applications that must go out before the month is done, but I will only work a half day, and hopefully resting over the weekend will do the trick. 

4.5 slow and gentle miles for me on the TM.

I counted back and found that it was mile #24 at the Monkey that was my 2000th mile.  Any Monkey runners remember that mile? At that point, all I could think about was beer and how much my toes hurt, so it was all pretty much a blur....

ETA - Leslie, your avatar scares the carp out of me.....Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I counted back and found that it was mile #24 at the Monkey that was my 2000th mile.  Any Monkey runners remember that mile? At that point, all I could think about was beer and how much my toes hurt, so it was all pretty much a blur....

Yes, I do remember mile 24! I'm pretty sure that's the one where there were two guys sitting in lounge chairs, and we were just coming up a little hill. I opted to walk, so I could eat my little chunk of banana that I had picked up at the last aid station. They thought I was eating a Twinkie! There weren't any garbage cans around and I wanted to get rid of the banana peel, so I reluctantly dropped on the ground. It's biodegradable, but still I felt bad about littering... it was also at that point that I realized that even if I walked the rest of the way, I was going to break 5 hours. For sure I thought I'd be finishing the race in 5.5 if not more... maybe even DFL... wow, talk about empowering, when I realized I could do this!

Oh, I guess I should've written that in the Monkey recap thread, oops....

4.78 easy miles today, with a little hill bump in the middle. All my runs have been easy lately. Feels kinda nice, actually... Smile

Obviously I missed something.....what is it exactly that happened that brought the influx of folks?  Not that I mind, just curious.....did Active.com move in and take over another forum?

RWOL has been taken over by spam. Not just for a day or two,it's ongoing. I personally got sick of posting a thread,then 15 minutes later it's already on page 2 of the forum because of the 25 spam threads that get posted every 5 minutes. 

Seems to be LOTS of trolls there too. I have seen none here so far. I don't have the time.

So I found this place.

..........., so I could eat my little chunk of banana that I had picked up at the last aid station. They thought I was eating a Twinkie!

hey,

we're the 5th Fattest State in the Union,,,,,,,,,,,,,everyone else probably WAS eating a Twinkie......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

delicate flower

RWOL has been taken over by spam. Not just for a day or two,it's ongoing. I personally got sick of posting a thread,then 15 minutes later it's already on page 2 of the forum because of the 25 spam threads that get posted every 5 minutes. 

Seems to be LOTS of trolls there too. I have seen none here so far. I don't have the time.

So I found this place.

What he said.  A couple of the veteran posters here suggested we come here, so it's their fault.  Big grin  THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE.  

Ran 6.7 miles tonight.  

<3

Another new person from RWOL here.  Good afternoon!

I'm just here for the cake and wine.  There is cake, right?

I did post in the welcome thread, but thought I'd add to the dailies too. 

I ran 4 easy miles this morning before work, around Lake Murray.  The weather was just about perfect for me, mid 50's, little wind, slightly misty.

Leslie, are you in Oregon?  My family is in the Portland area.

TammyinGP

I'm going to butt in. Leslie is not far from Oregon, but she's northern Calif - in that forest with really really big trees. I'm in So. Oregon though - just 4 hrs down the 5 from Portland.

Tammy

Tammy, I grew up in Seaside and both sides of my family still live in Oregon.  Most of them are on the coast, but my mom and stepmom are in the Portland area.

Love running up there!

Blue - Like Tammy said, I'm in NorCal, Eureka to be exact.  My husband grew up in St. Helens, just outside of Portland.  His family still lives there half the year, and they winter in AZ.  The parents of my running buddy, Karen, live in Beaverton, her sister lives in Astoria, and our friends who have the 3 Nonjoggers podcast live in Portland.  Do you do any trail running?  There's a great trail run in Feb right outside of Portland - the Hagg Lake 25k and 50k Mud Run.  I've only had the opportunity to run the 50k once.  Had a blast!

Holly - Take care of yourself.  If that bug is anything like what's been going on around here, it takes hold and doesn't let go.

(PS - The avatar shall change when it's official Christmas season - December 1.)

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm going to butt in. Leslie

Okay, you have to be careful about talking about anything related to "butts' with Leslie....

no reason....Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Another new person from RWOL here. 

OK, it's official: we need nametags!

Once again, glad to meet all the new folks. Anyone from up northeast?

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello My Name Is: Mike E (that's my attempt at a name tag)

Anyway--I ran 10.3 miles in 1:18:30, tonight.  I was scheduled for 6 tonight and 10 tomorrow, but tomorrow is Friday and I might want to go out drinking.  I obviously wasn't thinking when I put that schedule together.  I'm glad I figured it out before it was too late. 

I meant to comment on Jay's post the other day about headlamps.  I just started wearing one this year and I've already almost been hit 2 times.  Tonight, somebody just backed right out of her driveway and stopped right in front of me.  I also wear a reflective vest with blinking lights on the back.  I guess whatever you wear, you still have to be careful.

It seems like I was going to say something else...dang-it!  I hate getting being old.  Oh well, I'll think of it later.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!