Masters Running

TGIF 4/24 Master Runs, Rests and Recovery (Read 514 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Masters!! I was out for 6 last night at 10:27 pace in 56° temps. I just tried to keep it easy so I wouldn't bonk like my evening run last week. This morning Brinkley and I were out for a nice little 3 miler at 10:10 pace. About 15 minutes after returning home the rain started. Then a little puppy duty, changing beding, etc. Some of the little rascals are starting to walk fairly steadily already! I think they will start escaping the whelping box fairly soon. Big grin TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Hopeful and other friends. Beautiful day here finally. Supposed to be amazing tomorrow..80's and sunny. Will go out for 8-10k ez today before tomorrow's 38k run with Liz. Body will be tired after yesterday's 26k interval session but only a month till marathon time. Not sure if I told anyone here but this is my "last racing marathon"..then marathons will be for fun (funny thing to say about marathons) and to find out my true potential at 5k, 10k and half marathons. Really want a PR, so sub 2:50 but after all my injuries and sickness this year, less than 3 months of training may not be enough...But having said that my training is coming along great. Enjoy the weekend and continued great recovery for Boston marathoners. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good morning Mary and Tall. It's nice to see that the weather is getting nice for y'all. It was a tough winter out there. This morning I wanted to just get in a few miles at MP. So 6.05 miles in 50 minutes. Progression 9:10 down to 8:04 paces. Felt comfortable and did not push it. I went to my first Praise Team practice last evening. That was a bunch of fun but I have a lot of catching up to do on the learning the songs and my parts. I love singing. It's so much fun. My new Guitar got delivered yesterday too, so I stayed up an extra 1/2 hour to try it out. Beautiful. Now that I have it the easy part is over. Now I gotta figure out how to do this Guitar the justice is deserves. This will take some time. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Bill.....Good Luck......It all comes back. How are the finger tips doing ? I hit the pool this morning. I continue to work on drills. Although I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout in I am seeing results in my 100yd times. I've scheduled myself at the pool 3x / week. Monday and Friday are Drills and Wed is an interval set day. A typical drill workout right now is to open with 800 - 1000 yds warm-up freestyle. I then do 4 lengths of "Catch-Up" then 2 lengths each of side drills. 4 lengths pull bouy. 4 more lengths of "Catch-up" and then I do 250yds of freestyle concentrating on my form.....Swimming on my side and holding that lead hand out in front until my recovery hand is just about to enter the water. I count my strokes on the 3rd lap. Then I repeat this whole thing again ( minus the initial warm up) One thing about swimming......It leaves me hungry ! All day long ! Someone once told me that the water temp jacks up your metabolism. And from recalling the Olympics......you really don't see scrawny swimmers......Including Dana Torres.....skinny...yes, scrawny...no. Most of them look pretty "Healthy". Tonight I run. I have a tempo run planned. I'm thinking 2 x 15min at 10k........Wind advisories are out. Dead
            I am in Austin at a conference now and soon heading off to a local barbecue place with a local friend of mine who swears it is the best in a 100 miles! I can hardly wait. I figure if I skip breakfast . . . Big grin A short tale: "Why Mariposai is Better than Doctor House." The first three things Dr. House thinks you have you do not. The first thing Dr. Mariposai thinks you have you do. The first three cures Dr. House tries will nearly kill you. The first cure Dr. Mariposai suggests will likely work, and if not will not nearly kill you. If the cure from Dr. House does not nearly kill you it will instead leave you bleeding from some place blood normally does not come out of. If the cure Dr. Mariposai does not work you will likely just be bummed out. Once Dr. House figures out what you have a shot cures you instantly. Once Dr. Mariposai figures out what you have, alas, only time using some device or some effort on your part will cure you. Ok, on that last point Dr. Mariposai is not as good as Dr. House. Wink But, really, to avoid the nearly dead and bleeding from my eyes thing it is worth it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

I've scheduled myself at the pool 3x / week. Monday and Friday are Drills and Wed is an interval set day. A typical drill workout right now is to open with 800 - 1000 yds warm-up freestyle. I then do 4 lengths of "Catch-Up" then 2 lengths each of side drills. 4 lengths pull bouy. 4 more lengths of "Catch-up" and then I do 250yds of freestyle concentrating on my form.....Swimming on my side and holding that lead hand out in front until my recovery hand is just about to enter the water. I count my strokes on the 3rd lap. Then I repeat this whole thing again ( minus the initial warm up)
              Well, that's one COMPLICATED variation of a good swim workout...let me show you mine: Swim to the wall - turn around - and swim to the wall...repeat 90 times Tongue Smile....it's no wonder I am a slow swimmer, but don't really care I suppose as I make it up on the bike Smile 4 easy / recovery miles last night...felt good after my track workout Weds night. Sheesh, going to be very warm tomorrow on my 20 miler....need to hydrated very well today, and during my run. TGIF TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

2cat--I think you've nailed the weekly House plot line. It is entertaining to watch at times, though. That, and Bones are about the only network shows I watch at all regularly. Also, I know I'm entering the competition late, and not nearly from the base that you and Timbo had, but my enforced taper lasted 95 days--Jan 4 to April 12. So while it sounds like you'll pass me (sorry to hear that you've got that chance), you're not quite there yet. Smile Out for about 2 miles of running with a little bit of walking interspaced. No time to download yet, so not sure of any details, like whether or not my HRM was actually monitoring Roll eyes Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Twocat - that was hysterical! You certainly nailed the "House" formula, but I'm still addicted to the show. Some pretty hysterical stuff about poop patrols yesterday, too. Bill - only 1/2 hour trying out the new guitar? You're much more disciplined than I am. I was playing Garage Band the other night and two hours flew by without me noticing. A real instrument would have had me up half the night. Dragging today from last night's trip to NYC right after school and not getting in until 1:30. Heading to the podiatrist shortly to find out what's going on with my AT - just a niggling pain at this point, but I don't want to let it get to where I need treatment from House or Dr. Mariposai! Although I do love hearing from the Butterfly Doc. Smile Looking forward to tomorrow's last long run before Broad Street and then the First Kayak Adventure of 2009. Happy almost-weekend, everyone! Eliz CoolCoolCoolCool MTA - SLO re: swimming and eating. I get the same way after kayaking, especially in the beginning of the season. After running 10 miles tomorrow and then paddling, all food on the island will be at risk of my devouring it.

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today, light x-training instead. First, my favorite lower body workout: Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) followed by front raises, dumbbell presses, bench dips, flies, lying hammer curls, one-legged squats, and stability ball crunches. DS is leaving today at 4pm to go to a church middle school retreat for the weekend in another part of the state. No cellphones are allowed. I have only ever spent one weekend without the kids (Boston last year), and I admit to having some mixed feelings about his going away. Time for me to start letting him grow up. Undecided

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bill - only 1/2 hour trying out the new guitar? You're much more disciplined than I am. I was playing Garage Band the other night and two hours flew by without me noticing. A real instrument would have had me up half the night.
                      True Eliz. But even with all these new commitments I've been making, upmost in my mind right now is to not sabotage this great running I've been doing. Gotta get that rest so I can run in the morning. (Dedicated or stoopid. You make the call.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dang, still getting hammered at work, and even tho the thread is short I don't feel I have the time to give it the attention it deserves. Did notice Bill's new guitar -- makes me want to pick mine up again (in my infinite spare time Smile ) FWIW: 5.1 miles, 47:10, 9:19/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mary, what's with all the "bonking" talk? Did you have a recent setback or something? We're finally getting good weather and this isn't the time to slow down. Big grin Bill, congrats on the guitar. Maybe you'll be able to play for us in a few weeks... After a good run on Wednesday and some workout-style biking yesterday (I really need to get my legs in biking shape!), I decided to take today off in favor of a LSD run tomorrow morning. I also decided to switch doctors for my BP care soon. I haven't liked some of the recent side-effects of the meds (should a runner be taking a beta-blocker that slows my heartbeat even more?) and feel that the cardiologist is just randomly flogging around (seems to forget what we've already tried, etc.). My general practitioner is a really good doctor and a runner himself, and besides he's in my medical plan, so it might be time to start over. Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Suddenly I am limping with pain on the top of my right foot ..... I'm hoping I had my shoe tied too tight and it will ease up soon. Undecided Doug - I just had a couple of terrible runs last week. I think it is a good idea to switch doc's if you are not happy. Good luck! I love House ..... nice job TC.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Dang, still getting hammered at work
                              They let you drink at work? I know you like your brew, but just say no, Lou, just say no.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

They let you drink at work? I know you like your brew, but just say no, Lou, just say no.... Big grin
                                Big grin Big grin
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM