Masters Running

Excitement still in the air - Tues Master runs and RR's (Read 529 times)

TammyinGP

Smile good morning everyone. Productivity is calling me today - called me yesterday too, but I was too absorbed with Boston to do much, so need to pull double duty today to make up for it. I have a chiro appt at noon to fix me up. After hours of shoveling on Saturday and a slip/fall on rocks during our hike on Sunday, my low back and butt are a bit sore and out of whack, so I'll have the doc put everything back in its proper place. Today we are supposed to hit 90 and I have 7 miles penciled in. yowzers! running at the hottest point of the day (5 p.m.) will either break me or make me a stronger runner, right?? Confused I'm very proud and excited for all our boston runners! {{erika}} for your sore bum and for being a smart runner and knowing when to call it quits. I'm also real proud of a friend from highschool who ran Boston again this year. He's quite an accomplished runner. He finished in 2:58:18. Amazing to think of what he could have done had he not been on chemo right now and have low white cell counts going into this race. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

Mariposai

wake up guys, it is Tuesday, too early in the week to be all mellow and peaceful Cool CNYrunner, powerful workout today. Injury free now? Sticking to my plan of no running until the body let me know we are ready once again. Walk yesterday, pilates today and massage this afternoon. Boston runners' rock!!!!!!!! wow PDR just quietly showed us the fruit of perseverance...BQing in Boston, how cool is that. Erika is one strong runner...she knows when to push and when not. Butterfly hugs to all. I think I am going to party all week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Just from what I have observed, I think there is a significant difference in how high up the back leg comes between the men and women elites (and regular folk too). The women look more shuffling. The men are practically kicking their butts. I think it has to do with balancing out the men's higher center of gravity. But on top of that, it is interesting to watch all the different arm swings, torso postures etc of the elites... you'd think there would be this one "perfect" form, but there isn't. My daughter like Holly's has perfect form, my son looks really really awkward running, his teacher called it "lumbering". I was very inspired by all you Boston runners yesterday!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I think I am going to party all week.
          I'll be right over! Big grin A big Congratulations on your AG win, speedy lady!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

But on top of that, it is interesting to watch all the different arm swings, torso postures etc of the elites... you'd think there would be this one "perfect" form, but there isn't. I was very inspired by all you Boston runners yesterday! Me Too
            It's funny that Holly brought this up. I was paying attention to the elites forms....not on purpose....just was. Ryan Halls arm position and swing really caught my attention. They make 5:XX look so friggin effortless !
              Great pics, Holly. Form - I have to fight slouching all the time anyway, and it gets even worse when I'm running and tired. My shoulders practically come up to my ears (okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but not much). I'm constantly shrugging and rolling my shoulders in an effort to pull them back down and relax things. Wish I could've watch the race yesterday, but musta been on ESPN, 'cause none of the regular stations we get at work were carrying it. Bummer. Undecided It always amazes me at how fast the elite runners are and how effortless they can make it look. As far as my sorry butt this a.m., I was running (no pun intended) late, late, late. Didn't even get out the door until after 6:00, so I had to push my 5 miles a tad. Couldn't find my Garmin 405, so I had to resort to my old standby. It took forever for that thing to catch a satellite signal. When I got back, spent a couple more minutes looking and found the 405 squeezed between the seat cushion of our oversized chair. Wonder who put it there . . . . Roll eyes Muscles got a bit tight on the backs of my legs behind the knees during the last mile. Never felt that before, so I'm hoping it was just a symptom of still recovering from this past weekend.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Last night, did my yoga, stretching, foam roller and thigh master. Always fun as the kids follow along, which is much better than when they try to attack me. So far today, spent an hour shoveling mulch as my child labor camp is in full swing. Lowes, my partner in this crime, sells a full set of useable child garden tools, including the ever useful child-sized wheelbarrow. I shoveled and weeded, and the kids spread and raked out the mulch. It looks pretty good. Being the softy I am, I just cooked the kids lunch, and they are having strawberries for dessert. In a few minutes though, it's back to the grindstone for all. Am hopeful of getting a run in before dinner. I have something like a 4 or 5 miler scheduled. I am hoping my babysitter can sit, as I'm not in a TM mood today. Hoping to catch up on the pre-Boston race reports (I'm so far behind Blush) and any Boston reports that are out there by tonight!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono ā€“ I bought 2 dandelion tools and told my kids Iā€™d pay $1 for every bucket of dandelions they dig up. Unfortunately the dandelions are more prolific than my kids are greedy. Roll eyes So now it has become my new punishment technique. When they misbehave, instead of a time-out, they get 10 minutes of dandelion pulling. And yet the dandelions are still winning. Angry

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nono ā€“ So now it has become my new punishment technique. When they misbehave, instead of a time-out, they get 10 minutes of dandelion pulling.
                    Now THAT'S a great punishment! Put those little buggers to work doing hard labor! Big grin

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

ok -- where are all the race reports?? from my volunteer point of view: i was far away from the chute this year Cry zone 14 which was down along the family meeting area around letter K - very confusing as it was a sea of people - families and runners mixed together.........unfortunately not as exciting as being along the finish chute so my 2 friends didn't get the high i experienced last year, but i know we helped some people and sent a few to the medical tents who might have been missed had we not been there!! can't wait for the race reports!! out in the rain for me today in my day glo yellow volunteer jacket (also have a red medical team volunteer jacket but passed that on to my 14yr old son) ........6 miles in 58:50 -- not speedy but feeling stronger every run and that's what's important for me right now!! HAPPY TUESDAY!!

denise

dg.

Where Has the day gone?? I'm trying to catch up a little at work today, was alll distracted yesterday. Smile And so I haven't read the daily yet. Still slightly optimistic (or deluded) that I'll get to it later. For now just this morning's run... 5.08 miles, 9:30 average pace, possibly 6:47 for the max but I don't trust it for a second. During the third mile I did 4 100-150 meter surges, paces were in the mid 7's. 10 minutes ellipticalling, then 2 sets of lower body weight machines & 2 sets of stability ball PT type stuff. I think the exercises they gave me are really good... but I'm not doing a good job of fitting them in. Not at all intentional, but still stoopid. Hope you're all well & happy & able to walk. Erika, how's your poor shot butt?
                          So now it has become my new punishment technique. When they misbehave, instead of a time-out, they get 10 minutes of dandelion pulling. Angry
                          Mine had to do 30 minutes in order to watch TV on the weekend. Is that too much?? Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

Well if you could have heard the screaming and crying from my 2 yr old...when I said we had to come home and take a nap. He and his sister worked for a solid hour after lunch shoveling mulch, delivering it to the gardens and spreading it. Then, when I made him go, he screamed and cried the whole drive back (ok, 3 min) and then another 1/2 hour 'till he just conked out now. You would think I was paying them! They both love working outside. I did too. My Mom was a horticulturalist, and while I don't remember her playing with me, I do remember working in the gardens with her. (I'm sure she played with me -- just wasn't memorable). YES, I am going to get to go running at 4:30! YaHOO!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Track workout today because my week is out of whack. I have to shoot a film on Thursday night in a Chicago supermarket bank and we can't do it til the bank closes at 8 p.m. So we're filming from 8:30 pm until about 7 am and then I will get a flight home. Don't even need a hotel. So I got in 11 on the track including 4 x 800 and 1 x 400 (200 recoveries) and on one of my final miles, the school's track coach happened to be watching me as it was gym period and as I went by him I said, "I know Coach. Lift my knees." He just laughed. Riblet had been in his track camp one summer and they did a drill where the coach had put down these wire hoops like croquet wickets and the kids had to high-step over them, a good way to get accustomed to lifting the knees, which in turn will give you that high rear leg kick. We lose flexibility as we age and most older runners do very little sprinting practice, so many people tend to run in a form that keeps the feet close to the ground. You often read here how people stumble and fall down. It's often from not lifting the knees. Try this experiment next time you are running and you feel fatigued. Say to yourself, "lift the knees." And without even being conscious of it, you will speed up. You almost can't help it. It was the last piece of advice I gave mariposai: "When you find yourself getting tired at the end of the race, pick your knees up." As to form, at mile 25 I was pretty sure Kara Goucher was not going to win the race. I think the announcer knew it too but he could not very well say that. Kosgei appeared effortless and Goucher looked a bit ragged. As to Ryan Hall, that is some low arm carriage isn't it? What a strong runner he is. Spareribs
                              Slo

Damn it.......... You guys know that now I have to dig out the video camera and have on of my kids record me as I run by the house. Thanks Holly Tongue MTA: But then if I know I'm being recorded I'll be running with the best form I can muster.......Won't learn a damn thing!