Masters Running

Thurs 4/9 Daily Masters Runs and Fun Stuff (Read 518 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Twocat, all I can say is, I am so sorry you are having such problems....and Confused with the doc's trying to figure it all out. Best of luck to you Buddie....you are in my thoughts! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Way to go, SLO and Maine! Big grin I just don't understand that mentality, whether it's from teenagers or adults, who can be just as bad. Mariposa - I came home to a couple of my tulips in bloom. Nice little surprise. Smile Twocat - Sorry you are continuing to have difficulties . . . . but - Weaver's Bottom - a least it has an interesting name. Wink Completed 5.25 hilly miles this a.m. with a few drops of rain here and there. Even though I felt like I wasn't doing so good, once I looked at the numbers, it wasn't as bad as I thought: Av/Best/HR 1. 9:52/8:32/139 2. 10:14/8:15/151 3. 9:58/8:09/155 4. 10:43/8:16/154 5. 10:43/7:59/156 6. 10:24/8:39/158 (.25 mile) Slept a little bit better last night. Was wide awake at 2:00 instead of 1:00, but I went to bed at 9:00 and crashed almost as soon as I laid down, so I went from 3.5 hours of sleep to 5 hours. Maybe tonight I'll get 7!! I've been reading a sports nutrition book Denise told me about (can't remember the name off the top of my head), and I'm trying to follow a better program of eating. Instead of my usual bagel w/cc and coffee, I'm trying to eat either a bowl of cereal and toast or oatmeal and toast each morning, a good lunch (which I try to do anyway), a small mid morning and mid afternoon snack (or small meal, as she puts it), then a lighter dinner. Hopefully, it'll keep me a bit more energized. Signed up yesterday for my 30k trail run in Oakland May 10. If I can keep my barking AT at bay, I think I'll do halfway decent.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm in and out of here as much as I'm in and out of running these days. What a couple weeks with leg and heart issues. Echocardiogram today and will discuss with Dr Tuesday (should be good). My leg was feeling good enough to walk painfree Sunday so I ran 7 miles slowly on Monday and it hurt just a little. Then I found some stretches that helped so I ran 7 miles Tuesday but the leg started hurting with every foot strike and Wed and today I could not put my weight on it.... major limping. So at the cariologist appt, after the echo, I limp by the Dr and she sees me limping and says oh no, what about Boston? And I say yea and I can't eve take Advil because I'm on the aspirin and Ca-blocker. She says, yes you can, but use Aleve as it interacts less with aspirin. So I then limp into the Sports Med Dr and describe everything and he moves legs, hip etc and I show him how it kills to step up on a stool. He does Xray, pulls out a book showing muscles adn nerves and concludes that bones are ok, muscles are ok, but they have tightened and are grabbing nerves which penetrate the adductor area. He has me do a piriformis type stretch and then I get up and no pain! Prescription: hot bath then stretching and max dose Aleve for 5 days. X-train in morning before taking Aleve and try running next tuesday/wednesday. I'm encouraged that I'll get to the Boston starting line ... now to figure out a way to the finish! My main goal is to be able to walk to the parties (at least the pre-race ones Smile)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I'm encouraged that I'll get to the Boston starting line ... now to figure out a way to the finish! My main goal is to be able to walk to the parties (at least the pre-race ones Smile)
          Here's wishing you the best Perch. {{{Good Vibes}}}
            Training my West Ottawa Speed Group tonight. I have to do a 25k workout including 3X6K at 4 minute per k pace. Hopefully the battered and bruised body can hold up to it... Have a great easter weekend Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

perchcreek that sounds reasonably encouraging! Boston may not be a PR but if all proceeds according to schedule you will line up and do fine. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Just dragged my sorry behind through 3.1 miles. I think I overdid it with the weights last night, 'cause I'm really tired and sore. Allergies are also kicking up - time to get back to the sea air at the shore. Holly - I'm still trying to picture what it must have been like for your DH to clean up a gallon of spilled paint Walt - glad to hear that your DD is on the mend Happy birthday, Henrun!!! Handy Mom - I'm nervous about my upcoming 10-miler in a "what was I thinking" sort of way, too. I love what Wild/Carolyn said about your being guaranteed a PR. SLO - way to give it to those creepy kids. Hope it does make them think twice before they pull something like that again, but in that their frontal lobes don't fully develop until they're in their 20s . . . . who knows? Leslie - welcome back. Heading back to NJ this evening for what one of my church musician colleagues calls the "Holy Marathon," - will pretty much be rehearsing, singing, running, eating, and sleeping until Sunday afternoon - not a bad weekend at all. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

xor

Jack Daniels kicked my ass this morning. Intervals of 5 minutes of "hard" pace, followed by 3 minutes "recovery"... "to total 10k". Okey doke. This worked out to 6 repeats at roughly 6:45-7:00ish pace. I probably could have run them a wee bit harder. That's the trick. Sometimes you don't know until you're done.

Slo

I probably could have run them a wee bit harder. That's the trick. Sometimes you don't know until you're done.
                    SRL I struggle with this too. Finding the right pace for an interval session. Usually I feel like I could have taken it harder "faster" or I went to hard and was unable to complete the targeted sets or walked on my "active recoveries". The more I study, read, listen I gather that the primary objective is to provide "just enough" stimulus. You shouldn't feel like your completely wiped but rather like "I could go one more set". I think what you said said "I probably could have run them a wee bit harder" is a perfect indication that you may have done them just right ! I dunno......
                      Jack Daniels kicked my ass this morning.
                      That's what happens when you drink before noon! Big grin
                      TammyinGP

Hey Tamerilla...did ya hear about what happened???
                        Big grin I didn't hear about it . . . but one thing about me is that dropping some bait doesn't lure or entice me in the least. I guess I'm not like most wimmen in that regard. And I don't like shopping either. Tongue And I own very pairs of shoes Tongue Tongue just returned from closing arguments in a 2 wk murder we've had. interesting but very sad case. probably inherent for just about all murder cases - a level of 'interest' and a huge element of sadness run after work tonight - and it's been a misty light rain all day - it'll feel good to run in the mist.

Tammy

xor

Watch out for gorillas.

SteveP

Your cycling post brought back memories, SLO. Good to see you handymom Jeese Louise TwoCat, hopefully your Dr doesn't have House's bedside manner. DW had to call her corporate office's tech support...It's a few time zones away. She introduced herself to the lady who answered. The support person asked if she knows a Steve P. DW told her I was her husband. The person from corporate said she has a cook book and one of my recipes cracked her up. DW asked if she tried it and the response was "Oh no.". I told DW that, when she has to call back, let the lady know I'll autograph her cook book for only $5.00 and, if she acts now, she can feel my 1,000 mile thighs at no additional change. 1.5 miles with the dog. I don't know what other runners do. My job is pretty physical. As a result, often, when I run, I don't seem to loosen up. It's more like lumbering along. I'm not happy with my mileage. I quit posting for some time because of the set back.

SteveP

Jack Daniels kicked my ass this morning.
                              My main goal is to be able to walk to the parties (at least the pre-race ones Smile)
                              Quotes of the Day. Big grin
                              . . . . if she acts now, she can feel my 1,000 mile thighs at no additional change.
                              And how much would that be if she acts later? $.10? $.25? Just how much are those 1,000 mile thighs worth?

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Steve, do you do any relaxation/stretching stuff? Yoga? (don't laugh...) Pilates? A friend of mine here works at a gold mine, lots of sitting in heavy equipment but also lots of physical work (digging, carrying heavy stuff, etc). He likes to run but felt he was so tight and stiff all the time, he was asking for injury. His wife dragged him to Pilates one Saturday, and he really likes it... and he's running more now, too! Just a thought...