Masters Running

40's, 50's, etc. on the Run - Week ending 8/22 (Read 583 times)

Also . . . I'm not an insurance adjuster and didn't even stay in a Holiday inn express, offer void where prohibited, dealer rebates may apply in certain states, offer good only at participating stores, not valid without coupon, my opinion may not reflect the opinion of myself.

Classic! 

Got out for 8 this a.m.  Didn't feel too bad, but toward the end I started getting a bit tired.  Did a lot of snot-rocketing.  Who knew the body could generate so much! (TMI??)

Came around the last corner to home and oh my!  There's a horse on the side of the road!  Went to the nearest house with a horse trailer and starting banging on the door.  Took 3 or 4 tries before someone cracked it open.  "Do you have a horse?" "Yes."  "It's out." "$hit."  Went back to keep an eye on it until the lady came out and well - there are 2 horses loose!  They were having the time their lives munching away on all the green grass and weeds.  As soon as she came out to them, the horses started down the road and across the street further down - probably a good 3 blocks worth of distance.  I found it interesting that they decided to come munch at the house where their owner lives.

Have a great Wednesday.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey all,

Leslie -- didn't you get the memo?  Treadmill miles count double, yippeee!  MTA - oh wait....I see that you are also a horse wrangler! 

Esther -- I think you are right about the audio books.  My first, and only so far is called At the Appointed Time (author not revealed).  Not the greatest, but the price was right...free.  Great job on the power shopping, and glad that the cutback week is agreeing with you.  Stay away from those fast indians though, OK?

Cindy -- glad you are feeling good (cept for the cold/allergy thing)...that's what counts!  Hey, that house looks about right for a "40's plus on the run" commune Smile.  Waiting for Joe's ship to come in.

Joe -- yep, 90's + humdity = treadmill.  Tried it the other way this morning, and will go scurrying back to the gym next time.  Blech!

Ev -- you're cracking me up...as usual.  The serenading isurance negotiator.

OK, two sucky runs turned to walks in a row.  One on the TM and one outside.  Back tight, and everything just feeling tweaky and off.  I'm past due for new shoes, so gonna do that, and may trade a swim/lift day for a yoga day.

Howdy to everyone else!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy Wednesday! Feels like I've been absent from here for awhile, with all the new semester stuff going on..

my opinion may not reflect the opinion of myself.

Ev - heh

OM - ahh, the cutback week. But, what will you DO with yourself?

Carol - guess we all have days like that - achy for no reason - hope the yoga helps.

Leslie - YOU on the treadmill?!? What's this world coming to? About the car: I would feel like you, why try and fix up a car that's been wrecked pretty well, you might not get to ever be "right" again. Better to have a payment than to take the chance that you'll end up with an unreliable money pit. 

Cindy - can I come live in the 1700 sq-ft "outbuilding"? I would be willing to share with Joe! Thanks!

Joe - that's a cool workout. How do you figure paces for progressive runs? Start at easy and end at tempo?

Jim must be one busy dood, I hope everything's ok.

Still doing the Daniel's plan, with some modification (doing 50 - 80% of the "quality" workouts, just going by feel), and it's going better than expected! Today I did a 2 mi warmup, then 4 x 5 min at about 8 - 8:15 pace, then a 5.25 cooldown - I was very proud of getting through it feeling pretty good! The big lesson I'm learning is that while going fast during a race is fun, pushing yourself on a lonely path is a little harder - not always so much fun! On the other hand, it feels good to tough it out, that's enough reward for now.

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

OMat- funny about your group run. Good job backing off and getting in good runs after. Enjoy your cutback! Remember too, it's still been quite hot and humid here in the Garden State.

Funny disclaimer Ev. Are you sure you don't work for the insurance company? How about the government? You seem to know the language. Nice going logging the miles with The Mrs.

Wild Horses! Some way to start your day Leslie. What did they do, walk out an open gate? Good thing no cars eh?

Carol- off days happen. I'm sure you'll swing right back. Just keep dreaming of that first *60 day.MMmmmm. I'm still waiting on my check, otherwise your shoes would be on their way.

Arla- good going on your workouts and dealing with your heat too. That pushing yourself is a double edge sword eh? Like your analogy of just wanting to quit and lay down on the sidewalk, but when you gut it and finish, well that's what makes us faster. I haven't adopted his plan like I planned, but I have been doing 2 speed and a long per week. To answer your question, on the tm, I just kick the speed (mph) up one tenth a mile at a time. So I started at 6.1mph and finish at 7.0mph or 9:50 - 8:34.

Cindy- good luck up the mountains. I'm sure a lot of runners will be glad that you came!

Real good one tonight on the boardwalk in cloudy and cooler (*81) temps. Warm up of 6 miles then 3m at 8:29. Lastest was the fastest at 6:47. Not only the fastest of the night, but my fastest recorded mile ever. It was also my 2,000th for the year.

Top 'O the World!

Arla ~ Joe's the one buying the house! I'm just his realtor!!   & I'm sure there's plenty of room IN the house - all of the bdrm's are suite style, some w/balconies...  best part is it's right there by my current favorite "kick thy butt" trail.

Carol ~ sounds like a rest day or two is in order.....margaritas & massage!

So, whatcha croonin' Ev?

I wouldn't call it a rest day...but I didn't make it out to run today...ain't gonna neither...this here chair has some mightly strong velcro in the seat....slept in till 5:45 am this am & got up to coffee & a full email box...working on the final arrangements for the massage team, rental vehs, injured runners, & whatnot to sort out....spent cpl hrs on that  & then headed out to mow, trim, bag a few weeds, tidy the garden - weeding, watering & dealing w/ready veggies: bucket of beans & one of cucumbers picked, beans blanched & frozen, made up some pumpkin bread, oatmeal cookies (healthier version), cabbage burgers, fagioli & breakfast burritos made up & packaged for the week - for the guys at the house cause they'll just eat Honey Bunches of Oats all week otherwise!   well, maybe not...maybe they'd be over @ Champp's draining the checkbook.... I'm taking some of the cookies & pumpkin bread with me!

Nite! 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, remember me?

Long story short, my dad has been ill and between taking care of him and working the farm haven't had the desire to post much.

Running- got in 3 20+ mile weeks but backed off this week with tweaky hip and possible race this wknd.

Farm- have got some hail but nothing like the .65 mil loss of last year. (We had insur but always a challenge getting settled and never can cover the loss but least stay around to play again). Wheat crop was just about average to a little above. Price whn we started there was no way it was going to make a profit but a drought in Russia (worst in 120 years) has nearly doubled the price and is helping the corn market also.

I'll keep looking in and hopefully post once in a while. Sounds like Yall are doing great. I'm probably a little late in the party to share part of Joe's good fortune. ;-)

laters

Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

OrangeMat

MM #6177

.... and we're back!

re cutback week: What will I do with myself? Well, lucky for me, I'm injured! Yeah, that universe just lurves me.... Foot was hurting Tuesday night at the group workout, so I'm taking some time to be off of it. Calf is very tight, affecting the achilles, and so the ankle joint feels very stiff. Doesn't feel like it's specifically a foot injury, but symptomatically that's where the pain goes. Plus, DD is coming home from camp today, her sweet 16 BBQ is on Sunday, and DS leaves for college on Wednesday. So I'm just a bit busy with other life stuff. Yeah, lucky me indeed.

OK, I hope to get out for a bike ride this morning before having to go pick up DD from the camp bus. I also hope this post doesn't disappear into the ether!

Cheers, everyone!

jfa

Hey Jim- good to see ya. Hope your Dad's doing ok and glad to hear your wheat harvest was at least on the plus side.

OM- sounds like you need a cutback week from your kids! I guess that part will come after they're back to school.

Cindy- your "rest days" sound exhausting to me!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Turns out no bike ride.... but I did run! The ankle felt like it could handle it, no hobbling at all today, so I managed 3.25 careful miles that were virtually painfree. I plan on doing the same again tomorrow, and no more. This is going to end up being more of a cutback than I planned, but I'm sure I'll get the mileage back up soon enough. All I need is patience, right?

DD is home now, after being away for close to 8 weeks. While it's more work, obviously, to run around shopping, etc. with her, I'm very glad she's home. It's going to be strange once DS is gone at college (UMD, 4+ hours away). But that's how the parenting ride goes, I suppose.

ETA: Hmm, I thought I changed my avatar.... how about now?
                    OrangeMat

MM #6177

Maybe I should keep talking to myself.... YES!

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - Oh THERE you are...sorry to hear that your dad took a downturn, but glad to hear that you're ok. I was noticing what was going on with Russian wheat and wondering if that might help you out. Hope that works out well. Oh and good going on keeping at the running what with everything else!

OM - tweaky achilles and ankle, bummer! Good thing you've got the bike. And...kids heading to college, guess that will be strange. 4 hrs away isn't too bad.

Cindy - wow, lots going on prepping for the runners, and yeehaw harvest time in the yard. Crosstraining yes? My watermelons are ripe, first year I've tried them. And of course I'm drowning in little yellow pear tomatoes and giant zucchini...

Joe - 6:47! Nice! I have not tried a mile time trial since I first started running in 2006...it was around 8:30. Now I can run 6 miles under 8:00. Like you, I'm trying for two speed and one long run per week, but carefully, trying to stay aware of how the ol' legs feel. It doesn't work if you overdo it. And congrats on your 2K miles, see ya at the finish line in December.

Legs a little tired, but not bad, after yesterday's workout. Probably not too smart to be bicycle commuting on top of everything, but it's really fun and not all that far. Going for an easy 5 - 6 later.

Arla

Ex runner

Jim....good to hear from you.  Nice running.  Tell your Dad I said hello.

OM...glad the foot is feeling better....if you're not already, try ice and self massage.  Cutback weeks are great.....remember the universe likes it.  Happy birthday to DD and good luck to DS.  BTW looks like your post didn't disappear into the esther.

nice running.  and a thumbs up on the new avatar.

Arla.......biking to work....very nice indeed. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Just a fly by wave & have a great week to everyone!! I'll be up in The Divide w/abt 350+ crazy friends for the TransRockiesRun...two more days of insanity - you don't even want to know!! - before I can settle in to enjoy the race... 

Our media folks will keep the web site updated daily......Oh, & Kelly's Jack is up here to do Leadville100 - as are several others from various other mssg boards! The two races share a piece of the same trail, a day apart!  4 of my aid station ppl are running Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs  in the am before coming up to Buena Vista tomorrow...a cpl of the Leadville runners have friends running TRR, so they usually come & hang out in our camp for the rest of the week....Lotsa runners up here!  Smile 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Cripes - It's been absolutely nuts since yesterday a.m.  Didn't even have time to pop in here after posting at Predawners.  Am going to send out a general - GOOD JOB GANG! - and hope I don't offend.  Except for Jim and Cindy:

Jim - We missed you.  So sorry to hear your dad's been sick.  Hope things are improving.

Cindy - HAVE A BLAST!!

Okay . . .

Today's an SRD for me, thankfully.  Bonkos was at my house last night and I didn't get to bed 'til 11:00 and laid awake until almost midnight worrying over the car/finances.  On the positive side,The Hub changed his mind about seeing the doc.  She said he probably had a pretty good concussion and whiplash.  Not much to be done, except rest.  She also put him on muscle relaxers and he's to stay off work until Tuesday.  All across his shoulders and up into his neck is as tight as can be, which is why he's having such bad headaches.  Looks like I'll be giving some massages.

Okay - Gotta go.  Have a great weekend, friends.  Stay safe ~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi All,

Glad to be able to see page 2 again...lost it for a while

Arla, sounds like you're doing your speed work the smart way.  Listening but also pushing a bit.

Joe, congrats on your 6:47 mile!  You are living proof that more miles => faster.  Oh, and sorry, but I gave up and bought some new shoes this morning...it's tax free weekend here.

Cindy, the logistics of your weekend sound almost as daunting as the races themselves!  Have fun!

Jim, sorry about your dad.  The emotional side + just taking care of what needs to be is exhausting.  Glad the farm news is a little better than hoped.

Esther, glad your parts are feeling better.  And you and Arla may have inspired me to dust off my bike.

Ev, hope you and LMD are continuing to enjoy the outdoors together, or perhaps the indoors

Leslie, sounds like the hub sustained some body damage too, just less visible.  I know what you mean re: the cars.  Both of ours are paid for and have been for a while and we like it that way!

Hey Stumpy, Jewels, Kelly, anyone else out there??!!!

Let's see, big news is that hubby cashed in our air miles for 2 first class tickets to Hawaii.  Not until May/June next year, but should give me lots of time to savor the idea.  On other fronts, work sucks.  The client I have really poured myself into (as in had to pass on other clients to others so I could work on this one) has a person who has decided to try to make a big splash with her new boss by phasing us out.  We have made huge strides for them, so feel good about that regardless, but it's kind of a slow drip method of kicking us in the teeth.  Who knows how or when it will all play out, so I will continue to do life otherwise and see what comes along.   

Progress Trumps Pefection