Masters Running

Thursday Sunny Runs (Read 505 times)

A tough gruelling hour out there. I ran EZ but the EZ runs after the tough workouts are the tough ones. Hopefully I will recover for Saturday's 10K two weeks in advance of my marathon. It's a fitness test for me to hopefully determine pace. Best of days my friends Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Tall – thanks for starting us out. Thanks for your comments and advice re the funeral yesterday, gang – much appreciated. Debut run in my new neighborhood. I took on my new hill nemesis, what the locals call Stony Hill. Rising straight up from the Great Miami River basin, it makes the hill my house is on look wimpy. With all the trips up and down the stairs carrying boxes in the last 2 days, I hadn’t intended to actually run Stony Hill this morning, I just wanted a look at it. But as I stood at the bottom looking up, I heard it cackling softly at me in the humid early morning light. I took that as a challenge. Small compared to hills many of you run on, it’s still pretty big for this flatlander. I had to walk parts of the DOWNHILL portion, because it was so steep that running down it put too much strain on my knees. There are 2 roads that cross the river and climb Stony Hill, meeting at an angle past the crest. Today I took the more winding road up, and the steeper face down, but I think it would be easier on my knees to reverse that. Once a week, I think, will be enough. 6 miles in 62 degrees and light rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, all! OK - where is everybody this morning??? Tall and Holly - glad that you two are up and around!! Holly - congratulations on conquering the hill! I'm sure you'll get to know each other very well. Work is getting in the way this week - I'll have to go back later and read the rest of yesterday's thread. 6.5 tempo miles this morning - should have been slow, easy miles, but the legs were feeling spoinky. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

Went out for a 2 mi tempo run this morning. Yes, that's how I marked it dow in in my log. Well, it was 7:30 on the way out and 8:30 on the way back, but the wind was WHIPPING from the south, and I ran North first, so I'm still counting this as my goal of 2 mi at an 8 min pace. Clowning around I have 5 more mi scheduled tonight with my babysitter and the dog. BIG news is that finally, finally, finally, I cracked 130 lbs. I almost fainted this morning when I got on the scale. My 6 weeks of no drinking finally cracked a lb or 2 off me! Of course, last night I ended my no drinking by having a margarita, and today, I reached my goal. Contrarian body of mine.... (I should add that I don't diet -- but do try to eat well and in balance, so other than no drinking, it isn't as if I put any real effort into losing the weight. It is a bit of a long-term, slow and steady goal).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

...nonoruns//......you keep losing weight, that 30-miles an hour wind will have you doing 7-min/miles.... nice running ========= ...but I digress... ......waiting to see if the Storm hits before we go hiking.... ....after a Good Run yesterday, a Hike would be perfect today.......and I can hike wet.... .....................good running ruys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dg.

good morning! best of days to you too, Tall. Holly, I hate it when hills cackle. Sue, happy sproink! Thanks so much for the information the other day. I'm behind too. I hate that. morning Nono. morning Renee the dog. congrats. if you fainted, you would have cracked 130 lbs. Wink 30 min. on the arc trainer, & 20 on the recumbant bike. i decided that getting away with running monday (when i'd been sore for days) was probably due to some friendly pro-running faerie that looked at me & said 'poor thing, she doesn't have a clue. let's give her a break'. being very careful, at least my version, for the rest of the week. mta hey tw Smile. happy to read didn't hurt the other day.

King of PhotoShop

The Saint and I are going out for a run in the park as soon as she gets back from taking Riblet to school. Holly, that's good news about that hill. Nothing wrong with walking the downhills either. You will be surprised what running that hill will do for your conditioning. Nono, congrats. Progress there and a nice tempo for you. Thank you everyone for your kind words about the dog. Riblet will name her so we don't have any ideas yet. He doesn't even know. And Vista, just to set the record straight, that is not my house, it's the breeder's. And for those who have offered advice regarding care of the Sheltie, believe me we have done the research and the one big job Riblet will have is a twice a week thorough brushing of that dog! Spareribs
                  I'm with you Tall. After yesterday's tough workout, my EZ effort pace was very very slow. It's tempting to be discouraged by that, but it's probably OK. Running nearly the same pace all the time doesn't improve fitness and speed. 9 miles under drippy skies, 62F.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Thanks for the start there Tall. Your post reminded me of the analogy of our runs compared to snow flakes. Just as there are no two snowflakes exactly alike, there never are two runs that are exactly the same. I would like to declare that from here on...Stoney Hill SHALL be called....."Holly's Hill" (it even has a nice ring to it). Just think of people coming to hike up Holly's hill to find Holly's house during the holidays! Congrats nonoruns on the weight goal level being reached. Of course losing weight slowly and through a good diet and exercise is the wise way to do it. Good for you. TomWhite is certainly is good to see you posting in here. I know I speak for others in saying that we have missed you and are privileged to have your words of wisdom and wit back. dg.....that sounds like a pretty good workout. I enjoy reading of your various workouts and am amazed at how you just keep at it. Spareribs....that puppy just looks like he is going to be a lot of fun and so alert. They are a nice breed of dog and I am sure everyone will greatly enjoy the opportunity. I actually had figured out that the other picture was not at your place since I knew the dog was not with you yet. Well, since rain is coming in today, I decided to get in a little 3.04 mile run this morning. The birds chirping as I ran along the way was nice. I am pretty sure that I am near a crow's nest (albeit probably 40 feet below it) as a crow would "caww" and fly away every time I looped this one large tree. By the way, it is always good to try and go back and read the late evening posters from yesterday. There were a couple of intersting posts last night. Have a great day everyone. Don't be like Sue....having work get in the way of things.
                    Vista
                    btb1490

A warm welcome to Thursday everyone! That Ribs... he's always full of surprises. Twocat- who needs a car when you can run? Think of the gas savings. Mariposai- I hope you found some fun in your busy day. Glad to hear you snuck a run in. WRFB- thanks for checking in. Good luck with work, and with the knee rehab. Holly- you want to take the time to plan things out, and do it right the first time. Rearranging later is good in theory, but how often does that really happen? Wink My condolences to your families loss. Sad Good job taking, and passing the hill challenge this morning. TomS- thanks for the comic! I love Rhymes With Orange, it fits my warped sense of humor perfectly. I guess your aches and pains from the other day are better? Ribs- I'm surprised that you, Mr. Sweet as Sugar, didn't melt in that rain. Regarding brushing of the dog, I've taught Jake to let me vacuum him. He actually looks forward to it now. Bruce- you really are progressing nicely with your running. Keep up the plan, it seems to be working. Regarding Amy, thanks for asking. I haven't heard anything for a couple of days now. I would imagine things are quite hectic at the moment. I'll take no news as good news... enke- I like your foggy avatar picture. Where was that taken? I give it two thumbs up! Wink Don't rush your recovery, and don't base it on how others recover. Your sproink will return when it returns. Cmom- keep this up and soon you'll be the one doing the whooping! Franc59- glad to see you! I think a lot of people will benefit from your posts! Aamos- I'll send you some peepers if you'd like. They go well with cootie bugs. PDR- steady as she goes there. Please be careful when adding speedwork, especially relatively soon after a hard marathon effort, and coming off being sick. Teresa- it's good to hear you are human and have off days now and again. Wink HOpe today is better! JJJ- love the details of you post yesterday! eliz- good job getting the job done yesterday. Did you find the Holy Grail and not tell us? runningindc- maybe you'll hear some peepers on your morning jaunts! Otherwise if you ever make it to Long Island, we'll go peeper peeping together. Great news about the foot!!! Fingers are crossed for you! wildchild- on to better things for you. Best of luck with whatever awaits you. Nice celebratory run you took! halllar- those first few warm runs really do suck it out of you. No worries. divechief- so where was the strange part about your day? Wink PJH- there you are! Glad to hear things are coming around for you since Boston. Thanks for the mentor update, that is such a great thing you are doing. Best of luck this Sunday to you and all your disciples! evanflein- have you been practicing your diaper changing in preparation for your visitors? Sounds like you got your mojo back since Boston! Congrats to your son on his speedy 5k-ish race! To me, superwoman is someone who does whatever duty calls her to do, and you certainly fit that bill. Tallrunner- we already know your pace. FAST! SueT- at least work isn't in the way of your running. Well done this AM. nono- it's the effort that counts, not the time. Have a good run tonight, skinny! tomwhite- sounds like things are feeling good for you today after your run yesterday. dg- those running faeries like cookies, so don't forget your offerings to them to keep them happy. vista- or should we be calling you Mr. Scarecrow? Lotsa rain and wind kept me from walking this morning. Poor excuse I know, but that gave me more time to do some neglected core work, foam rollering and stretching instead. I also did more PPV exercises, adding a few more sets and difficulty from the other day. My ankle really feels great. It's like having a thorn or splinter that's been stuck in you for a long time finally pulled out. Prior to surgery, the PPV exercises bothered the ankle. Today, they didn't bother it one bit. I remain cautiously optimistic that getting this surgery was a good idea. Later on I'll try things out on the elliptical trainer at the gym. All the healing vibes from all of you really helped. Thank you! A special shout out to all our wounded, or recovering, warriors out there. Even if you stop posting, please know that doesn't mean we have stopped thinking of you and wishing you all well. Smile I'll leave you with this Pooh-ism: “"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called”
                      Mariposai

I wanna be one of those people who go to hike up Holly's hill to find Holly's house during the holidays! 4 miles along the orchard roads, under clear sky. I return home with my hands full of wild asparagus...they will taste good with the salmon dinner we are having tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Debut run in my new neighborhood. I took on my new hill nemesis, what the locals call Stony Hill.
                          I wondered about that when you said you'd moved to Miamisburg. I only know it from my many trips back and forth between Michigan and Cincinnati, but from I-75 I know that the Miamisburg exit is really down between two big hills. Not surprising that it's tough to climb out of there! Strength work this morning, with maybe a short run tomorrow depending on the weekend forecast. Good running, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I skipped my pre-dawn run in order to deliver pre-dawn puppies!! 5 boys, 3 girls . . . two still born one of each for a total of 10. I'm exhausted and if there are lots of typos it is because I can't focus. I'lll be back later with more info and some pics! Oh Happy Day . . . . ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Cloudy here....not complaining, just noting. Gym day for me as I went out and ran again after work with my running club. OK, dive, the computer's not really broken, you must be the subject of an investigation! Whadja do?? Stay outta jail so we can see you in August! I'm curious--what does anything think of long slow distance runs? Way to make for a long slow race or do they have their place? grins, A ps: I wrote a piece on Boston and stuck it over in the Boston Marathon forum, for anyone still interested in reading about it. I figure folks here have been so wonderfully supportive and patient, it would have been overkill.
                              Masters 2000 miles
                                ...thanks vista and btb//.......I may be getting the Hang of Double Posting...... ======= .......washed out on hiking.........60min.......the farther we went,,,the HARDER it Rained.... .......our Resident Minnesotean announced ''I'm Going back to the car'' ...............''What would Jessie Ventura do??'' I Challenged... ......................''He's going back WITH me''.... we went back to the car (hey, if it's too tough for Jessie Ventura, who am I to argue??) .................good running to the rest of ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....