Masters Running

2008 WDW Full Marathon Report (Read 414 times)

50 halfs by age 50

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Oh wait, I think that’s been used Big grin. But it’s appropriate in this situation. We drove up Fri morning with no problems as I-4 had reopened from the horrific accident a couple days before. Went straight to the Expo for packet pickup. DH was excited as this was his first Expo as a runner instead of a spectator. It was really crowded so I didn’t get to visit many of the booths but all I really wanted was my marathon pin and a shirt. DH got his and we went off to check-in at the Poly for our first visit there. Got in and got settled in time to head over to Pop for our WISH team meet. This is always one of the highlights of marathon weekend. This was my third year with the team and I was constantly amazed at how much we have grown. We ate then left to go back to the room and start settling in for the night. DH wanted to go back to the Expo so we dropped him off on the way and he rode the bus back. One of the best things about staying at the Poly was watching Wishes from the beach which we did 2 out of 3 of our nights there. Half Marathon Neither of us slept much that night. DH got up about 2:30 and was out the door a little after 3 for his first half. We were both worried about him...he really hadn’t run much in an effort to heal the shin splints and we weren’t sure if his legs were going to handle the race at all. I went back to sleep after he left and got up about 6. Got ready and went to TTC about 6:35...it was packed! I couldn’t get anywhere near the gate so left and went over to the road by the Poly. It was really early so only the elites were going by. They all look so serious...it doesn’t seem like they’re having much fun. I got a 5K update on DH so was encouraged that he was moving along. I didn’t get any updates for awhile and was worried he’d had to pullout due to the leg pain. I finally saw him, but he was on the opposite side of the road. He was running and looked great! I packed up and ran back to the Poly to get the kids up and ready to go to EPCOT. I got his 10K update after they passed me at the Poly so figured the updates were about 2 miles behind. Went to the room, helped get the kids ready and we took off for EPCOT. I was afraid we wouldn’t make it after we got the 15K update while on the monorail to EPCOT. Once we landed, we went straight to the family area. I was afraid DH had already finished but it still took them awhile to get in. He finished in 2:53:35 with no shin pain at all! We took DH back to Poly to eat and rest, then I took the girls to MK for awhile. I was trying not to walk much, but we got to do a few rides, including WT’s new fave, the Haunted Mansion. Full Marathon I actually got some sleep the night before which is really unusual for me. Usually I sleep about 2 hours then just lie awake waiting until a reasonable time to get up and ready for the race. I got out the door at about 2:45 and realized how warm it was. Found out later, 67 degrees with 94% humidity. I went to the monorail. Got to EPCOT and walked to the start. I was really surprised at how quickly they moved us into the corrals. I hadn’t even started my potty ritual yet when they opened the gate. Before I knew it, we were standing up, moving up and getting ready for the start. We started off pretty well. I felt pretty good, but the humidity was brutal and I felt pretty damp by mile 3. We got to MK...hope the castle pictures turned out well! I was feeling pretty hot, wet and sweaty by then. I had packed an extra shirt for DH to have outside the Poly and was looking forward to changing. When we got there, I discovered I’d only packed a long sleeve tech shirt, not a short sleeve or tank...AAARRRGGHH. So, since I’d already taken off my WISH team shirt, I just left it off and carried it...without putting on sunscreen. Oops. I have a wall I always hit between miles 12 and 14 and it was there just like always for me. A lady ahead of us said she thought the next water stop had bananas and oranges, but we got there and only bananas. Really a shame...the oranges sounded so good and I craved one the whole way. My teammate and I kept up some sort of interval until about mile 15, then abandoned all pretense of running. I was pretty firmly in the BMZ by then. We walked the rest of the way, hot sweaty with aches and pains I didn’t remember from training. My ankle started going somewhere in there. It’s weird, it doesn’t hurt until I stop, slow down or the terrain changes, but I can tell when it’s gone. I have to keep going at that point because stopping means it tightens up and doesn’t bend again until it’s good and ready. I think the section between MK and AK was the hardest. Nothing to see, only generators with speakers playing random song snippets. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to stop, check into a medical tent and tell them it just wasn’t worth it. Getting to AK helped...by then we were craving ice cold drinks. There were tons of photographers in AK which I didn’t want to see at that point. We got through and headed out on our way to WWOS and MGM. There were lots of characters along that way which helped. I teared up when DD15 ran up to me outside Boardwalk and walked with me for awhile. DH was there with DD4 and I saw them but was afraid to stop for long. I knew if the forward motion ceased I was a goner. We got to EPCOT and about halfway around WS, saw the big black cloud hanging over Spaceship Earth and heard the thunder crack. I was so afraid WDW would pull us off the course, I think I started going faster. The CM’s kept saying almost there, but it wasn’t nearly almost enough for me. We came around SE and saw the choir, then the chute to the finish. I finally got up enough energy to run and some guy stopped dead in front of me to take a picture of 2 girls crossing the finish line. So my finish photo may show me wiping out some random dude. I made it just under regulation 6:58:09. Got my medal but didn’t stick around for a photo due to the incoming storm. I went to find the fam. DH brought crutches, I took off my shoes (aaaahhhh...such relief) and put on my ankle brace. The wind was kicking up so we packed up the kids and headed to the bus. Driver dropped us at TTC to take the monorail or walk back to Poly. We got to TTC and the rain opened up so we waited until it slacked off to head out. I actually felt okay except the bottom of my feet and ankle hurt. We finally got back to the room. The fam went downstairs to get lunch while I got in the shower. It felt really great until I almost passed out. I had to sit down in the shower, turned off the water and wait it out, thinking I couldn’t walk well enough to get to the phone in the other room and call for help. But it passed eventually. I think it was lack of food...I usually drink chocolate milk and eat right after a LR, but in the race to get out of the storm, only had part of a tangerine. Can’t wait to do it all again next year! Apologies for the length if you’re still reading, bless you! So many things happen on marathon weekend...it’s just amazing!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Cashmason

Congrats on finishing. Marathons Hurt.
        Chimera, congrat's to you and DH on your races! That's a story of true grit. Sounds like an amazing experience. Thanks for your report!
        bap

Congratulations! I heard it was tough out there this year.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Great race report! Thanks so much for sharing it. I love it that you and DH both ran, and that your kids were there to see it!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            coastwalker

Hi Chimera, Congrats to DH for overcoming his risk of shin pain to finish the half, and to you for winning the battle with the weather and your bad ankle in the marathon. Isn't it amazing that we can put ourselves through what other people would consider to be torture, and then we say we can't wait to do it again - we must be crazy!! Almost passing out in the shower (I've been there) is a scary way to be reminded about how important it is to refuel immediately after a race. I'm glad you got past it without too much of a problem. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great report and congratulations! So many things do happen on marathon weekend as you said. That you are already planning for next year speaks volumes for your accomplishment. Happy trails CNYrunner

Top 'O the World!

Congratulations to you both! & Thank You for sharing your experiences!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #957

Chimera – Way to tough it out! Great report, but I have some questions. What is a WISH team? What is the “Wishes” that you watched from the beach? How were you getting updates on your DH during his race? I did get that AK was Animal Kingdom and MK was Magic Kingdom, but I’m a bit lost on some of the others – what is BMZ? WS? CM? SE? WWOS? TTC? I guess I'm a little slow to pick up some of the lingo... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

great job Chimera!! you and your DH definitely have what it takes to keep going!! Nice job!! i was wondering about the Wish Team and Wishes as well ........is that for the Make a Wish foundation or something totally different? i definitely saw a lot of purple shirts for Team in Training - that's a huge group!! also, did you like the location of the Polynesian? i was going to look into the Contemporary next year - i really want to be on the route instead of at the Dolphin altho it is a beautiful hotel

denise

Queen of 3rd Place

Great report! Thanks! You're a tough customer! Did you see the soldiers near Shades of Green? I'm thinking about the Poly as well, since supposedly it's a short walk to the travel center and hence just one monorail ride to the starting area. Let us know how that worked out for you. I'm coming from the west coast, so 3 am rise and shine is like midnight rise and shine for my body - I want to maximize my bed time Smile Arla

Ex runner

pfriese

Way to go chimera! You finished a fun marathon and survived to write up a great RR. Thanks for sharing your day with us. Paul
                            Great race and race report Melissa! I can't even imagine doing 26.2! Congrats to your dh as well........ Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

50 halfs by age 50

Chimera – Way to tough it out! Great report, but I have some questions. What is a WISH team? What is the “Wishes” that you watched from the beach? How were you getting updates on your DH during his race? I did get that AK was Animal Kingdom and MK was Magic Kingdom, but I’m a bit lost on some of the others – what is BMZ? WS? CM? SE? WWOS? TTC? I guess I'm a little slow to pick up some of the lingo... Smile
                              Sorry, my bad...I'm on another board and cut and pasted. I edited most but missed a LOT apparently. Translations: The W.I.S.H. team is an internet group that I've been running with for 3 years now. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109 It stands for we're Inspired to Stay Healthy. Most of us are back of the packers, just in it for the camaraderie, health benefits and the bling! Wishes is the nightly fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. You can see it from the Polynesion and Contemporary hotels without having to be in the parks. BMZ: Bite Me Zone...that unhappy place after you've hit the wall and keep going anyway. WS: World Showcase, the portion of EPCOT that includes all the countries CM: cast member (Disney employee) SE: Spaceship Earth, the big golfball thing at EPCOT WWOS: Wide World of Sports, that's the big complex at Disney where they have spring training, Bucs training camp and all the high school sports TTC: Transportation and Ticket Center for Magic Kingdom Poly was ok, actually we were kinda disappointed. It's great for proximity and traveling along parts of the course since you can watch your runner at the resort then hop the monorail to get to EPCOT for the finish. Also nice for Magic Kingdom access via monorail. The rooms themselves weren't that impressive. I definitely liked being able to ride the monorail to the start rather than taking a bus. I don't remember seeing any soldiers near SOG, but I was looking for my family at that point. We are thinking about the Contemporary instead for next year. Paul...congrats on your Goofy!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Full Marathon I got out the door at about 2:45 some guy stopped dead in front of me to take a picture of 2 girls crossing the finish line. I made it just under regulation 6:58:09. Can’t wait to do it all again next year! So many things happen on marathon weekend...it’s just amazing!
                                Chimeralina - I'm at the wrong end of the continental diagonal to understand it all but your rr shares all the joy and fun I need to know. In particular, as holder of the long-standing boomer marathon PR from CR (7:09:54), I've been dreading losing it to someone else but you had as good a time as I did and, as a life long chimerid lover, it's an honor to congratulate you as the new standard bearer. However, fair warning, I'm goin' back to Mr. 7:09:54 for the first time in two years this coming April so watch out behind you. Smile welcome. ps - I had to leap over a similar stop-to-take-a-photo collision once so hope to see yours in photo too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)