Masters Running

Mate it's the Weekend! Well for me anyway! The Saturday 10/14 Daily (Read 38 times)

This will be my last pre-marathon daily start. You all are on your own day zone for tomorrow. By the way is it Saturday where you are? No? Go away!!! Post in the Friday thread where you belong.

Given the differences in dates and times I am going to post this a few times. If anyone wants to follow me along on my marathon route you can do so via the Melbourne Marathon Festival app. My bib number is 289. The app should work on either an Apple or Android phone. I will also post other links later on that should track me at more than the timing mats once I figure out what they are.The race starts at 7:00am Melbourne time on Sunday (Melbourne Sunday so that will be your Saturday). To give you a better idea of what that means it starts Saturday at 4:00pm in the east coast and 1:00pm on the west coast.

Dave59 hmm, trying to figure out if your post in the Friday thread was within the rules. . . where is a certified daily judge when you need one?

tetsujin209 what, by the way, are you going to do if you find out you like running in dry weather? As for running, the only positive thing I will say is that you do not run with your tongue. But truthfully, the operation took a significant toll on me and my original goal of beating my time in last year's Indianapolis marathon is long shot. We will see what happens. I think I have recovered quite a bit of my running fitness so at least I hope to come in under 4 hours.

RunnerKSA good news, or as good as it gets, on the post fall injury diagnosis.

mrrun great picture. Glad you all had a good time at the meetup.

stumpy77 whenever you come down to CT let me know. Perhaps we can arrange to get together. I have been working on my Australian.

coatwalker congratulations on the sell out! Very nice.

Tramps just keep repeating, much better than winter!

Opus77 I sure hope you find an alternative to a CPAP. People who use one seem to hate it.

catwhoorg 5 shots is pretty tough.

rochrunner you must have pretty narrow feet or like a really, really snug fit. Every time I try Brooks I end up sending them back. My DW too. Just too tight on our feet.

tomwhite RC?

DAW60 I will admit a TM is better than nothing. Not a lot better, but better. You have way more dedication than I can muster if you can run on one regularly.

deez4boyz I hope you get that cough over and done with soon.

Quickadder wow, thanks for the Chicago marathon statistics! Really, really interesting.

I am down to t minus 23 hours as I write this prior to the marathon start. I do not run the day before a target race so today is mostly just sightseeing via modes of transportation I can just sit on. My DW and I will do a 2 hour river cruise. Then a tram tour. After that we will get some throwaway clothes for the start.

For anyone that wishes, it should be easy to track me whenever I hit a timing mat via the Melbourne app, I am going to also try post a Garmin Connect link that should work in real time too. I have an accomplice to help me do that via the lovely mariposai. But, in case something goes wrong with our communication if you are willing to act as backup please let me know and I will be sure to have Garmin Connect send you the link to post in the RA master's daily (which oddly enough will be this one!). Just send me a message either via the RA message system or my email (if you know that). Thank you in advance to anyone that volunteers. Also, please do not post the link to Facebook. Long story for another time that I am happy to explain to anyone in person.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep--I don't know how I'm doing it, but I'm posting, tomorrow, today.  (I don't even understand what I just wrote)  Good luck, Twocat!  Have fun!

coastwalker

Mornin' Twocat, Mike, and everyone.

That’s not fair that Twocat can start the post for Saturday before I finish dinner on Friday!

Friday’s workouts:
        Twocat (5 miles, including a pre-opening tour of the marathon expo)
        RunnerKSA (3.1 miles after a decent night’s sleep)
        Marj (3 reservoir miles in IRC)
        Tramps (20 bike miles in quasi-autumn like weather)
        Rochrunner (4 sproinky miles in new Brooks Ghost 10 GTX shoes)
        Tomwhite (40 min RC on the soccer field in trail boots)
        Daw60 (4 lunchtime TM miles at 9:00 avg. pace)
        Deeze (4.1 hacking afternoon miles)
        Wildchild (22 miles, including 12 with the Friday trail group in 50°, sunny weather)
        StarrRuns (3 mile pre-supper campground trail walk)
        Mike (10.1 miles, including 4.1 with the XC team)
        Evanflein (5.6 Boston miles before heading to VT)

Good luck tomorrow/today, Twocat!

Opus77, I don’t know how anyone can sleep with a CPAP, but I understand there are less enveloping options, so good luck.

Amazing story about your surgeries, Daw60! Congrats on your hard work to recover and get back in shape. I hope you can stave off future surgeries.

Deeze, I very much missed you at the meet-up, but hope you’ll kill the cough before MCM.

RunnerKSA, thanks for the great photo!

Quickadder, I don’t know Size12, but he writes a great race report! Congrats to him on his PR. and thank you for the Chicago AG stats. It’d be interesting to see how they compare to the finishers in the same AGs 5 or 10 years ago.

I’m glad the root canal went well, Starr. Welcome back to the work world, Mr. Starr.

Travel & race well, Evanflein, regardless of the weather. (I was also hoping we'd be done with the humidity, but I guess not.)

I'm off to this morning's racewalking training session. 3 of our goddesses are training for a November half, and their goal is to go 10 miles today. I'll likely go with them (unless I have to coach this morning), and maybe add another few miles if I can.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

.......remind me to have twocat post A Day Late when he gets back.......

ps.......RC= Racing Crutches (from my last hip replacement)

pps.........trailboots=Trail Boots

============

..but I digress.......

40-min PoolRun with letters

about ready

for the surgery,

this hip has been bone on bone since April, and isn't Nearly as much Fun as I expected

.............good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Ran 12 this morning. Pretty slow but at least I didn't feel lightheaded or sick. So a step in the right direction for a half marathon in 3 weeks.

Go get it, Twocat!

10.2 miles this morning- 7 with my daughter which is a treat since she's gotten so much faster than me that we don't run together much.  She took off for her faster stuff after 7 miles.  We went to breakfast afterwards.  I'll share that she is going through a terrible divorce (and she's an Episcopal priest) which was not at all her idea, so we are in some sad and scary times.  We are only 6 weeks into it and it's ugly. It's very much a cliche- doctor starts earning real doctor money and moves on, leaving low earning wife behind.  She might have to move away to find a full time clergy position.  Our diocese is very conservative and her options are limited.  She's had a part-time priest-in-charge position for 5 years, but it isn't enough.... She also just published a controversial book which won't endear her to everyone in this diocese.  BUT- she's strong and smart and well-educated.  Life will be better.  (thanks for listening-   I am considering murder.....)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hello Masters.  Had fun watching a college 8K XC race for the first time in decades.  It was an Invitational in eastern NC, featuring Duke, NC State, Citadel, several UNC campuses, and East Carolina.  Saw some pretty speedy guys and gals. My asst coach (former runner of mine) ran as unattached, hoping for a 26Tight lippedx.  He did well, but back spasms halfway through cut his pace a bit so he missed his goal by 30 seconds.  Still did well IMO.

Nice cool mid-60s morning and DRY!  Took advantage of it with a planned 5 miler that ended up being 5.8, as the weather felt so nice I added a loop.

DAW - glad to see you are back at it and doing well.

Quickadder - thanks for sharing.  Wish I could find George's results.

Twocat - best of luck!  Yes, I am looking at other options instead of CPAP, especially the mouth pieces that adjust your jaw position.  However, those won't do anything for the "central apneas"  which is where the brain stops telling the lungs to breathe.  I had 31 instances of that in one night.  Kind of scary, though they are very brief.  It still stresses the body, so long term health affects can be bad.

RunnerKSA - nice10.2.  I hope things work out for your daughter.

Coastwalker - what do you coach?  Hope your outing went well.  See above comments to Twocat about CPAP.

Lawn needs mowing.  80s in October means that stuff keeps on growing.  No cold temps in sight either.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 easy paced miles.

No reaction at all from the biopsy site.

Lunch and now a full afternoon of yardwork ahead of me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

(thanks for listening-   I am considering murder.....)

Go get 'em...we'll cover your tracks.  Seriously--I'm very sorry your daughter is going through all of that.

I went a total of 10.7 miles this morning.  5 miles before practice, then 5.7 with the team doing different distances of speed work.  Another fun morning!

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Jlynne

about ready

for the surgery,

this hip has been bone on bone since April, and isn't Nearly as much Fun as I expected

My DH had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago. The doc took his PCL and ACL - said they were shot. He's slowly getting back. And let's just say my nursing skills (and patience) leave a lot to be desired. Good luck Tom. You'll be in my prayers.

Good luck Twocat! Break a leg! And I read a while back that this is an old saying wishing someone good luck, and you're not really hoping they will break a leg

Glad your race filled up Jay!

Nice 10 miler this morning Dave. What's that old saying? If you can run 10, you can surely run 13.1!

Sorry about your DD's divorce RunnerKSA. I hope things get easier for her.

Hi Mike! Sounds like you had great fun running with the kids again this morning.

5 miles in overcast skies, 52° and no wind. Then 5 minutes jumping rope and some core stuff. I did a strength and balance class yesterday. Wow! Am I sore today...

Went to farmers market this morning and got 3 different kinds of squash, some Brussels sprouts, leek, green beans, onions and farm fresh eggs. Then I came home to bake a chocolate cake for my grandson Will's 8th birthday. This is the little boy that was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries. He has thrived and grown, and I am very thankful for that.

Now off to play what will hopefully not be the last 18 holes of golf for the season. Have a great weekend everyone!

Mariposai

.My DH and I started tracking twocat via the Malbourne Marathon Festival app. His bib number is 289. Once the app is downloaded it is very easy to track him. It is rather cool.

Go twocat go!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Posai - I have the app and am tracking twocat also.  I have to remember it is in km, not miles.

Jlynne - have a good round of golf.  I have been wondering what went wrong with your cataract surgery. I thought those were pretty routine these days. Keep it in the fareway.

TW - ouch, and double ouch. At least you know that there will be an end to this pain. I admire your dedication to pool-running all this time.

Opus - I don't think I have ever been to a XC race. Glad you could be there to support your asst. coach.

DH needs me to help with his computer, it's been a while since he used it for anything other than email and games.  He needs to get that report out from the inspection yesterday.

I got out the door around 8am for a 5 mile run around the lake. This was my longest in a while and I didn't even stop!  It still hasn't rained as predicted but I'm glad I got that workout done.   I will plant those flower bulbs tomorrow afternoon.  I should get them planned out on paper, or maybe mix them all up and not know what color is where --- not!

Go Twocat, he is past the 5K mark.  Whoo Hoo! I wonder if he will stop to take photos to post with the ReLive route.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Posai - I have the app and am tracking twocat also.  I have to remember it is in km, not miles.

. . .

Go Twocat, he is past the 5K mark.  Whoo Hoo! I wonder if he will stop to take photos to post with the ReLive route.

Thnax. since I'm not watching planned IM coverage, as long as I can keep me posted herein, I’ll stay entertained with coverage of certain events down under.  Thanks 2cat.  Hope you have a good one, especially since there won't be any distractions to chat with anyone along the way, unless you've identified yourself as "USA," "RunningAhead" or something.  What prior event t-shirt are you wearing?   

KSA - maybe you and DD can come out here sometime for a race in Seattle where being anything conservative is about as likely as joining the Whig Party.    
                            15 bike miles today - I’m losing  track, either the third or fourth weekend in a row predicted for rain has been foiled, this time for a glorious fall day resplendent with golden yellows and darker reds enjoyed to the fullest with three hours riding and stopping under and over the fall foliages, around here-and-there into residential nooks and crannies and urban pocket parks heretofore overlooked.  
                            <<<(RANT ON)>>>

(against Fitness Centers, . . . or maybe me, not sure which)
                            pre-rant.
                            I don’t like just running and cycling around for the heck of it without going somewhere but little did I know that cycling eight miles to a nearby fitness center to watch NBC Sports’ live coverage of this year’s Ironman start in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii would result the third rant of my 12-year posting career.

In particular, in addition to vowing to quit running if it ever took more than five hours to run 26.2 miles, if I ever had to resort to walking or walk breaks instead of running all the way, wearing tights, wearing running shoes instead of barefoot or in thongs, etc., I’ve also vowed never to join a fitness center as long as there is still an outside to run in in this wonderful world, . . . even though my MedicareB Advantage coverage now include gratis membership in various local fitness centers.  Well, I break the first two vows every time I go running but never dreamed I’d ever join a fitness center.
                            Nevertheless, in order to watch NBCsports live coverage of the 2017Ironman start this morning and the finish this afternoon thirty years after I got to do it, I joined LA Fitness with the idea of watching the IM while sitting on one of the sit-up pedaling bikes or walking the TM.  Of course, I confirmed they could switch one of their channels to IM coverage.
                            ACTUAL RANT - unfortunately, all they had was football for, try-as-he-might for 15 minutes this morning, the ass’t manager couldn’t get tuned in to NBCSN sports
                            <<<(RANT OFF)>>>
                            As a result, I’ve now joined 24-Hour Fitness too to watch the finish from 5:30 - 7:00 pm PDT.  We’ll see.

. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Quickadder

Opus, I need a few more clues to find George’s result. There are 73 Americans named George listed. Do you remember which AG he will be in, his location, etc? I guess George might not even be his real name.

Managed to run a race this morning. 7.3 mainly road miles but includes a section on trails. Finished in 1:12:15 for 26th OA and 2nd of 5 in the M60+ AG. Longer report in the weekend races thread.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

Marathon Maniac #957

I ran the five mile Princeton (MN) race today and I won it.  My first win since I got to 60 year old.

Sweet!  Way to go!

Love the pictures from today and yesterday - great racing and meetups!

Here's a picture from the Steamtown Marathon last weekend.  Rarely do I get a picture with both feet off the ground.  Almost makes me look fast. If my tongue wasn't hanging out it would look better, though. 

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, text and outdoor

Not much time to run this morning, as we went to look at a car an acquaintance was selling, since DD is about to get her temps and will soon be driving.  This is frankly much too good of a car for the rambunctious child, but it was such a great deal - $5350 for a 2007 Honda Civic with 94,000 miles, extremely clean and well-kept - that we couldn't pass it up.  If DD takes care of it she could have another 10 years on this car.

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor

4.5 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."