Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 7.16.19 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I have too much on my plate, and too little time today to be able to do a recap. So this is just a quick walk-by.

4.7 RW miles this morning in 64° temps with low H, and with the sun coming up midway through. The flies that were a pain on my head a few days ago were, thankfully, nowhere to be seen (or felt) this morning.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

So the flies flew away, Jay??  Good enough solution!!

Travel totally messed up my sleeping and didn't get out to run this morning.    Missing a mere two days of work resulted in a huge backlog this morning, oy! 

Rock your Tuesday, folks!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

dnaff

I am loving the pictures on here.  Holly, the Sunday one on the boat looks so relaxing.  Joe, you have the best times with your family!

We are under triple digit heat advisories all week and this morning was fairly cool in comparison to what is expected.  I was out the door by 5:30 and got just a bit more than 5 miles done.  Feels great to have that out of the way.

Volunteering at the food pantry this afternoon.  Maybe a nap in there somewhere too.   Good Tuesday, all!

anneb

Nice pictures, Joe. San Diego looks beautiful too!

Quick fly by for me - 5.8 warm and muggy forest preserve miles. It was *only* 73, so I didn't carry any water, and boy was I wishing I had some the last mile or 2. I stopped at a pump for a handful or 2, but that water doesn't taste so great! Plus there's the whole pumping with one hand, trying to get a little in your other hand... I'll learn  Or tomorrow, I'll just pick a route where I run by a park.

Anne

TammyinGP

flying in and out here too!  
            no run for me today. DH's bday so taking him out to dinner tonight.  He's less than thrilled about this one. 65. says this one is harder for some reason. I told him to celebrate that he finally has medicare and he has his first cell phone as of a few days ago, I taught him how to text and he had 2 text bday messages this morning!  oh, happy day! 

Tammy

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  No spiders today -- maybe they went after Jay's flies?  Anyway, yoga and biking done.  Our chorus is supposed to do an outdoor sing-out on Saturday, but with the high projected to be 99, we're thinking maybe not.  Luckily this isn't a planned or paid gig, we were just going to show up on the outdoor mall and sing for whoever happened by, so no major repercussions if we bag it.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Quickadder

7.3 hot & steamy post-Barry miles in the pre-dawn darkness this morning. Dew point at 80.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

bioguy

5 miles for me this morning. Puttering and decluttering on tap, plus I am writing postcards toa ll of my AP Biology students from last year as teh scores for the exam have now been posted. The postcards are neat; vintage European science posters. In other words, boring science diagrams with labels in French. Still, they are really neat.

BTW, I'm a big fan of spiders. I keep a tarantula in my classroom. Neither my wife nor I kill the ones that find their way into our house. I generally capture them and release them outside. I always figure they kill the more annoying creatures that find their way in.

Tailwinds!

Dave59

I ran a slow 3 this morning trying to get back into the swing of things. I was going to start eating better and working out more consistently when August came around and all our travels were done, but I was feeling so run down the last couple days that I decided to start getting things straightened out now. I'll dust off the MyFitnessPal app and see how it goes.

I haven't done that well with the transition to age 60 (almost 7 months ago). I keep getting the feeling that a lot of that time was wasted. Should I get to 65 I hope it isn't worse. 

The new wellness challenge at work is to drink 10 8-ounce glasses of water a day. It started yesterday and I didn't make it to 10. Today I have been drinking a lot more but I have also made a dozen trips to the bathroom. I don't like how this thing is starting out.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTY - you’ve got a better feel for the water than most fis    \
                      Holly - what’s the most laps you’ve done (BTY too)
                      Hopes - a couple of times a years, tens of thousands of spiders have one-day webs between ever vertical grating on the entire 1.75 span of the bridge across the lake.  Have no idea of how the get to the middle too and the arachnologist at the UW museum didn’t either.

Joe - great remembrance photo. After retirement my folks live about half way up Pt. Loma so I’d run down to Harbor Island to join dad for his daily swims and run up to the lighthouse as warm-ups for the San Diego Marathon (now Carlsbad) and early years of the R’n’R.  I love the oyster sandwiches at Pt. Loma Seafoods.

Summary - six early morning miles in a pleasantly warm rain (0430-0730) w/5,204 stairs.
                      Narrative (zzzzzzzzzzz) - after yesterday’s hour on the upper 54 stairs and an hour on second-to-uppermost 49 stairs right below that (that both have convenient dog paths alongside for going back down instead of using the stairs again) of the main 305 stair stairway in the nearby Hillside Park, I thought I would do the same this morning plus with a third, wrap-up hour doing all 103 but it was raining so i went to the gym instead, . . . NOT as I’m a PNW runner and have skied, run, hiked, etc. in the rain all my life and, after 76 years of it, I’ve got as many excuses for it as I’ll ever need for doing it, e.g. this morning was a warm drizzle at 66F that reminded me of running in the high seventies during the June rainy season in Japan in those days just like taking a shower.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

''Should I get to 65 I hope it isn't worse''

THE GOOD NEWS-

....you got 5-years to work on it...

I'm 70 next year

(and

now that I can Walk again it has been Wonderful)

as opposed

to NOT being able to Walk again

my thanks

to

Themostocles Gluck-

The earliest recorded attempts at hip replacement were carried out in Germany in 1891 by Themistocles Gluck (1853–1942),[72][73] who used ivory to replace the femoral head (the ball on the femur), attaching it with nickel-plated screws, Plaster of Paris, and glue.[74]

and

The Gluckettes

==========

...but I digress.......

.....90-degrees,

windy,

and yet Oddly Humid...

....65-min RC at soccerfields in heavy boots (3-lb).......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

BTY - you’ve got a better feel for the water than most fis    \
                          Holly - what’s the most laps you’ve done (BTY too)

LOL!    97 laps was my total back on my last swim workout of 2018.    I was shooting for 2.75 miles that day and made it, but had I realized that another 150 yards would have gotten me 100 laps, I no doubt could have found the strength to make it there!   Now I have to kick myself for falling three laps short Smile

I haven't done that well with the transition to age 60 (almost 7 months ago). I keep getting the feeling that a lot of that time was wasted. Should I get to 65 I hope it isn't worse. 

Ummm.....it doesn't get a whole lot better! I keep waiting for my almost 67 year-old brain to slow down and keep up with my almost 67 year-old body. And I hear 'ya about a lot of wasted time. All those years in my 20's and 30's when I was a couch potato and wasted a better (and much easier) level of fitness.

It sounds like it's pretty hot and humid a lot of places today. At least we had a nice breeze to help keep the temps and humidity less oppressive. 3.5 miles at a turtle's pace and 18 holes of golf done so far. Both grandsons have championship baseball games tonight. At the same time. At least they're playing at the same field so I can wander back and forth.

Happy birthday to your DH Tammy.

Thanks for the start Jay. Yay for no flies.

Stay cool folks!

Joe618

Ummm.....it doesn't get a whole lot better! I keep waiting for my almost 67 year-old brain to slow down and keep up with my almost 67 year-old body. And I hear 'ya about a lot of wasted time. All those years in my 20's and 30's when I was a couch potato and wasted a better (and much easier) level of fitness.

. Both grandsons have championship baseball games tonight. At the same time. At least they're playing at the same field so I can wander back and forth.

Good luck to your Grandsons, Lynne! 

Which links the first and the second comment.

I'm 65, almost 66.   No point worrying about what did or didn't happen.   Learn from it, though.   And accept each day.

I umpired baseball for 25+ years and did SO MANY tournaments at this time of year...images of me, soaking wet from sweat, in my plate umpire gear.   And I miss being behind the plate.   When I retire, I go back to both umpiring and refereeing soccer.   Moving ahead.    And if my judgement on a particular pitch is called into question, I can simply say "It sounded like a strike, coach, so I called it a strike."   Done.   Geezer privileges.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Hi from Utica.  Nice 5.2 mile run on the path which was (mainly) by the Mohawk River but veered off after a bit.  It was 63 and nice, but the heat followed me here, and it is now blazing hot outside.  It’s humid, too.   Travel went really well yesterday and we had a good Italian dinner last night.  Did what we had to do the first half of today at our 100,000 square foot distribution center (it is incredible big) and then had lunch at a restaurant by the river (not great).  I’m back at the hotel doing some work between now and the next feeding- um, I mean dinner- with more people who are flying in from Tennessee.    It might be raining in the morning when I want to run.  I hope not.  There are treadmills here but.....would rather be outside.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth