Masters Running

Wed Aug 5 Runs and Workouts (Read 320 times)

Mariposai

Look at what Erika did last night!

Erika000

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Where was Erika's run... on a roller coaster?

4 EZ miles in humid 80F. 2 with dogs at 9:30 pace then 2 at 8:30 pace. Knee feels even better, no issue running.

No wild life sightings but a copperhead snake road kill.... better than a live one!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Bill, good job on averting CL scam.  I have an 'exchange' taking place this afternoon on a CL deal myself. My husband is building a 10x10 two story clubhouse for our son and he wanted to get a piece of linoleum for the flooring to make it easier for sweeping out and just make it look nicer.  On a whim yesterday I put a "wanted" ad up for free or cheap linoleum. The flooring store in town wanted about $90 for a 10 x 10 piece of scrap. Within a couple hrs, I got a response from a guy that has a 12x11 piece of black and white checkered lino.  And since my son is REALLY into car racing and will have it decorated inside with a racing theme, that couldn't have worked out more perfectly for him. Only $25 too.

nice run Erika! That's quite the variety in elevation.

4 miles at the track last night - nuthin' special.

Cooled down to a nice 85 or so by 6:30 p.m. when I headed out there.

question for garmin users: I know wearing a garmin at a track is sort of dumb, but I wore mine last night because I didn't want to count laps. For the first two miles I just had it set on the usual mile splits. My first lap on the track was .26 miles. Pretty accurate. But as laps went on, the distance kept getting off and by the time I was into my last lap to make it two miles, my garmin said I hit 2 miles with still over a half lap around the track to go, which to me seems off by quite a large margin.  For my next two miles I changed my garmin setting so that it marked my 1/4 mile split by position, instead of distance.  I have heard that Garmins don't stay very accurate on distance when using them on a track, but I didn't think it would be off by that much and I don't really understand why they miscalculate distances on a track? anyone know or care to explain?

Tammy

Hi TammyJohnny will tell you that I keep track of laps with dimes!   I keep a bunch in my right pocket (12 right now), and when I finish a lap, I transfer one to my left pocket!  Just keep going. Little old lady solution to counting.      Johnny says he runs a circle on top of a hill on a logging road.  He has measured the loop in the past.  He gathers sticks, puts them in a pile at the starting point, and every time he finishes the circle, he tosses or kicks out one stick.   When the sticks are gone, he knows how far he has gone. 

Glad you survived the heat. 

I'm off to the woods for about 2 miles . 

Have good runs today, everyone.  Woods Lady

Tammy, maybe it thought you were cutting the corners??  I have used it on a track, just for intervals and it always seemed about a yard or two short after 800m.  But half a lap after just two miles sounds extreme.

Btw, congrats on doing the laps by position thingy with your Garmin, I have always wanted to try something like that but I can't seem to find my manual.

Twocat, I am really hoping September 1 is THE day for you.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tammy - which forerunner?  I know the 301 isn't as accurate as the 305.  Also was it very cloudy?  I think the worse the signal is, the worse the accuracy will be.  But other than that, I don't understand it.  It might cut the corners a bit, but as enke said, it shouldn't be that bad.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning!

Tammy - Trying to understand my Garmin is like trying to understand men.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Twocat - Rooting for Sept 1 to be your day!!  In the meantime, good luck with the strength training.  Be sure to send us a pic of your new rippling 6-pack abs.

A Wine Marathon?  That has Napa Valley written all over it.  Although for me, the thought of any kind of alcohol after a run is enough to bring on the dry heaves.

Erika - Nice hill work!

3 steady miles this a.m. that felt really good, followed up by 1.25 hours of core/strength.  My arms, especially, are nice and tired.  It felt like fall out there this a.m., with a clear, dark sky  and a crispness to the air.  Passed a house where the party must've been going since last night.  It's 4:30 a.m. and they're BBQing!  Boy howdy did it smell good.

Am still trying to wrap my mind around having to get up next Wednesday by 3:00/3:30 to get in an 18-mile run before work.  It's either that or try to run at that hour in Palm Springs in 80+ heat.  Ugh!  Yesterday, it was112 down there.  Whose stupid idea was it to have a conference in Palm Springs in August?!?  . . . . . wait a minute.  I think I may have voted for that one . . . . .

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

My garmin is a 305 and it was a perfectly clear day, not a cloud in the sky.  I did expect it to be off a little, but not that much. 

Woodslady - I do remember that you count with dimes. good and simple idea.  I have found, for me, when I run a track, I often get totally lost in thought and sometimes don't even realize I've lapped, so even something like counting laps, dimes or sticks, would probably be an effort in futility - I'd have to pay attention to when I get back to my starting point on the track. The track is the one place I can run and not pay attention to anything about my surroundings - just totally think through my day, my stressors, yell at my husband  and vent, so that's why I thought I would use my garmin this time. I guess as long as I use the "lap by position" option, I can keep accurate account of my distance.

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tammy...

Here is a typical Garmin 305 tracking from lane 1 at the track. I just use it as a time recording of my measured distances.

(and no I wasn't drunk )

As far as counting laps...  the garmin displays lap number when it shows lap time when you hit split so it does all the counting. No need for dimes or bread crumbs. If doing repeats with rest intervals I just add 1 to the lap number and divide by two to confirm how many have been done.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tammy - I don't think  running on the track with the Garmin is dumb - makes it much easier to keep track of the mileage when I am going long - or short for that matter.  Which lane were you in?  If I run in the innermost lane on a regulation track,  my Garmin is almost dead on accurate.  I usually run in the outermost lane, and one loop is longer than a quarter mile, so a whole mile is 3 full laps and a portion of a 4th lap. 

Late lunch core and weight work out for me today so I am not totally sluglike.  Back to work.........

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Twocat, that's such good news but so frustrating at the same time!!   (I just took a deep breath for you)

TomS, ((()))....   I say rest, too.   And hope that takes care of it!

Doug, good call.   That's what I"ve been trying to learn to do.  

thanks Holly!

Denise... I feel the same way about my workout!! You're a lot faster than I am.  I'll post mine, then you can post & smile.  mta... sorry, I couldn't!   You should though. 

My plan was for a mile w/u, 4 X 1K @ 5K pace, w/ 3 min. active recoveries, & 1 mile c/d.  There are markers at the park but they don't fit this, & it's a pain to keep track of this otherwise so I checked & the default interval workout on my polar is just about identical to this.  yippee.  So I started out nicely, stopped by my car to drop off my jacket & forgot to hit start.  I noticed when I thought it was about time for it to beep (wasn't sure if it would).  Oh well.  Just changed to  'free' exercise & started over.   Anyway.  Overall was 6.09 miles, 9:55 pace. ahr 167, max 179.  

Here was the best part.  The intervals were a little faster, but my stride was different, I can't even remember when it felt this way.  I'm not really sure why, a combination of things probably.  I noticed it & thought, how'd that happen??  It's been off for a very long time.   I hope this wasn't a fluke!

evanflein

Thanks, Mariposai. That was a good workout. Not particularly pleasant in the heat and dust, but good. Just the hilly roads behind my house that I should use a lot more than I do. And today, my legs are tired but not sore at all so that's great.

I've never gotten accurate readings from the Garmin on the track. But like Tammy I just can't keep track of how many laps I've done... don't know why it's so hard. And no, I don't think it's a blonde thing.   What is that tracking or marking by position option? Never have tried that. In fact, the Garmin can do so many things and I basically just hit start and stop. Should really take the time to read up on more of the features.

Baby Beer Countdown underway!! That's so exciting!

TammyinGP

suuuuure, perch . . . . 

Sue, the track at my son's elem school is just a dirt track, so no official lanes, but I stay in what would be the inside lane, right alongside the 'curb' that marks the track's inner perimeter. Like I said, that first run around the track gave me a reading of .26 and then it just progressively got longer, even though I ran the same lane.

Erika - it was a fluke that I found that option. After I saw how off it was after only 2 miles, I decided to see if there was a quick way to set it up for a manual lap option, like I would do with my Timex Ironman.  I remember hitting training options and then there must have been an option on that next screen for recording splits and I remember a drop down menu box to record splits by distance or position, so I selected position.  clear as smoke filled skies right? 

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

For the 305 if you go to Training<training options<auto lap

There are options to turn autolap off (which I do for track work) or auto lap by:

- distance (then menu for miles or custom dist) or

- position (position has choices to do a lap when eber you pass the start position or some other "mark" that you set by going to that spot and "marking" it.  Problem is if doing 800's for example you can't tell it to lap every second time you pass start. 

Much simpler to just set it to manual (auto lap off) and push the lap button when you need it.  You can always start a run on auto and then switch to manual while the run is in progress once you get to the track and switch it back after the track work.  Just hit stop and go to the auto lap menu and turn it off or on.  As long as you don't reset by holding the lap button down for the required time or turn the power off, all the run data remains intact as you stop and switch between auto lap and munual.  (I only use auto lap by distance) I wish there was an auto lap by time feature

Lots of cool features!

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/984_OwnersManual.pdf

Ran in the hottest weather for me so far - it was 86 and humid when I finished.  Longest run post-injury at 2.5 miles, interspersed with 3 miles of walking.  Everything feels good, though, so I'm going to keep plugging along every other day, adding slightly to both running and walking, for the rest of the summer.

Finally got to the library today in order to post!  I can read threads on my iPhone, but haven't figured out how to post from there.  I've always said I don't want internet access at the shore house, since that's where I go to unwind, but given all of the time I spend online via the IPhone, that's not much of an argument any more.   

I do love having the excuse to come to this wonderful library, though. Only bad thing is that it's downstairs from the arts center where an aerobics class is currently going on.  The music is obscenely loud and the instructor screaming.  Much, much worse than running in 86-degree heat, I think.  If that were the only way to get in shape, I'd still be a couch potato.

Off to the beach for a nature walk soon.  Hoping we don't get thunderstormed out again this week.  Last night's walk was magical - lots of skimmers were out showing off for us and we finished just as the full moon rose over the ocean. 

Happy Hump Day!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com