Masters Running

Tuesday 1/29/18 (Read 45 times)

SteveP

STEVE! Good grief my legs are telling me that summary isn't right. The first third of my run was steep downhill, but then I did 10 more! So 15.3 for the day.

Sorry....

Also, apologies for the lack of a recap. I slept through the alarm. I moved a good deal of snow. I cleared the drive for 1.6 miles in the AM with the snow blower. Shoveled the mid calf deep loading dock at work around noon. That was simply fun. It wasn't possible to tell that our driveway had ever been done when we got home as the snow was over our knees. There were a number of spots where the snow was over the shroud of our our machine. It was a very nice work out. Our governor has declared a weather related state of emergency. I'm not sure why though.

Two Cat, I'm sorry about the student's participation. or lack of.

I was actually more stubborn about the Strava/Lululemon challenge.  Smile

Fixed it for you.

SteveP

LOL.   Stubborn/stupid-  I'll own them both!    Good morning, Steve and those to come.  Stay warm and safe, all of you in the cold and snow areas.  It's just unbelievable up there in the northern plains.

3.1 treadmill miles for me this morning-  adjusting back to it after my outside running in Florida.  Good to be home, although work is going to require some sorting out of crisis.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Morning all,

Deep snow up your way, Steve.   Call it "cross training"...Yikes.

Welcome home Karen.   Smile your way through your crisis at work today.

We're in the votexian grip as well.   Intended to do 6x800m intervals on the work treadmill this morning.   I could not get the legs to turnover.   Just felt awful.    After some very good outdoor running, despite the cold, Friday through Monday, today's treadmill just wasn't going to happen.   So, I did about 4 easy miles and decided to simply accept it.

Such a first world problem.

Rock your Tuesdays, even with frozen Tacos.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Be safe out there, those of you in the extreme temps.

When I was in grad school, working constantly, TriBee would often go solo hiking in the White Mountains. She planned one winter multi-day hut-to-hut trip beginning with a relatively easy 3-mile snowshoe into Zealand Falls hut. She slept in the unheated bunkhouse there (in her down bag inside my down bag). Turned out it got down to -30F that night. Next morning, when she got ready for the next leg of her trip, metal buckles on both her snowshoes snapped from the cold. Trip over. She wasn't able to rig anything, so she had to post-hole out the 3 miles back. Lesson learned.

Anyhoo....10K brisk-walk for me in balmy 30F weather. Rain/ice/snow coming later.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

That's a lot of shoveling/snow-blowing Steve! I'm glad it was a "nice" workout.

Welcome home, KSA, and good luck with the crisis sorting. Sorry you're back on the TM.

KSA is right - please be careful in that frigid, windy weather!

Good workout adjustment, Joe, and good to deal with it and move on.

Scary trip for Tribee, Tramps. Good walk in the 'balmy' weather for you today.

My right ankle was sore after yesterday's workout, and the inside of the ankle was still swollen as I headed to bed last night. It had calmed down by morning, so I went out for a J o'clock workout, with my ankle brace on. 5.4 RW miles in 10° temps which was rather bracing with a headwind (but not near as much as you folks in the Midwest are dealing with), but not bad at all when the wind was behind me. The ankle complained a little bit, but not as much as yesterday. I'm a little worried that this ankle thing is not going to go away without some serious intervention. The orthotics I got last Fall are helping, but clearly the issue is still there. There may be a chat with an orthopedist somewhere in my future. Meanwhile, I'll just keep going and see what happens.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I admire running streaks.  People who can keep a streak going were placed on this earth to show the rest of us that there really is no excuse not to run.

But speaking of excuses....  I haven't been feeling well since the Sunday before last.  Nothing real bad but more tired/weak than usual, my stomach feels like I have another case of gastritis, and my back is super tight and sore. I had been trying to ignore everything and continue with runs and gym workouts but yesterday I decided to give up.  So, I'm taking a week or two or whatever is needed until I feel better.  After my walk/jog on Saturday I was wiped out for 2 days and my back was screaming at me.

I plan to do some foam rolling and stretching that a chiropractor had me doing to help my back, but that is about all I have planned. Except, I'll probably take some strolls around the condo loop so I don't go stir crazy.

Henrun

(((All those in the path of the polar vortex and all the owies)))

Just returned from a 2 mile walk. Temp 54F and sunny. 65 expected this afternoon.

Saw “Stan & Ollie” yesterday. A bittersweet movie for Laurel & Hardy fans. Meeting friends from home this evening for a Peruvian dinner and concert by Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell and Fabian- golden oldies.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When I was in grad school, working constantly, TriBee would often go solo hiking in the White Mountains. She planned one winter multi-day hut-to-hut trip beginning with a relatively easy 3-mile snowshoe into Zealand Falls hut. She slept in the unheated bunkhouse there (in her down bag inside my down bag). Turned out it got down to -30F that night. Next morning, when she got ready for the next leg of her trip, metal buckles on both her snowshoes snapped from the cold. Trip over. She wasn't able to rig anything, so she had to post-hole out the 3 miles back. Lesson learned.

This is downright scary.

Did she have to get cabin reservations or something so couldn't change the date especially in pre-cell phone days and since it doesn't sound like there was anyone else out on the trail in case of something more serious.  Three unpacked miles out can be a lifetime.

wish I could send some of some of the continuing springtime weather in the PNW into the low fifties around for everyone else.

However, I really miss shoveling snow, even two-or-three times a day when required but i'd have to take a lot of back breaks if I was still in snow country nowadays. I especially liked making igloos and big piles with tunnels for the kids that would remain into early April after all the other snow had melted.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...Floors are Nice Places to sleep.........

===========

.....60-min x-bike

with moderate resistance

(one reason I still have this thing is Back Problems)

...........since the pain in on the Belt Line,

the x-bike moves things I need to have moved

..........more Importantly

is twocat keeping with the Re-Hab..........just don't Rush It

you know how you get

...................Good Running to Ya............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Question-  Did something change or am I just mis-remembering?  I thought the RA log automatically put the time from the time zone you are in when you do your run (imported from Garmin Connect)?   My last 2 trips it is entering it as Central Time even though I wasn't in Central Time.  I don't see a setting on RA for this.  Did Garmin Connect change something?   (First World Problems)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Just read something about the long-term damage to national parks during the shutdown. Trash mess can be fixed, but apparently there was vandalism ranging from driving off-road in restricted area and tearing up the terrain to cutting down trees in Joshua Tree NP for firewood or something. Who does that? Some sort of misguided "statement?" General purpose a-holes?

My DW and I are sorry that we listened to the hyperventilating weather people here and expected a bitter cold shut-in day. Instead it's now 24F and the sun is out. If we'd known, we would have probably gotten the snowshoes out this morning and gone out to a local park for a rare winter outing. Too late now to go through all the set-up.

Anyway, I went to the gym this morning, did a brisk walk on the TM, followed by an unhurried full round of weight machines. Tomorrow's a shut-in day for sure so I'll be down on the bike for a while.

Finally, I'll leave you with this video of a local school's Snow Day announcement this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoxREYRJM8&feature=youtu.be

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

bioguy

Twocat- only a few studetns in your class did homework???? Welcome to my daily world.

My AP biology students are generally pretty good. But in regular education classes homework is an unknown.

In our high school, homework is now officially called "home practice" and cannot be used as part of a student's grade. Really.

Henrun

Roch-fantastic announcers-should go viral.

Got out for 2 sunny 60F running miles. No snow day for us🏃🏻‍♂️

Dave59

Twocat- only a few studetns in your class did homework???? Welcome to my daily world.

My AP biology students are generally pretty good. But in regular education classes homework is an unknown.

In our high school, homework is now officially called "home practice" and cannot be used as part of a student's grade. Really.

What do you think of the things being tried at some schools where the teaching portion is recorded and students watch it on-line from home (or wherever) and then classroom time is for homework?  They call it "flipping the classroom".

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/what-does-a-flipped-classroom-look-like-2

I was reading a book, "Great at Work" by Morten T. Hansen and the story was one of his examples of "redesigning your work.

anneb

Hey, masters!

I once had a streak that went 442 days. It ended because I was tired of it, so I used a winter cold (really wasn't that bad) to stop. Now, it's easy to NOT streak because I don't think I would ever want one that long, so why even bother? hahaha

In other news... blah blah blah cold blah blah treadmill blah blah polar vortex. I haven't run outside since January 18th! I'm dyin' over here. I will get out this weekend, even if my neighborhood is a still a mess I should be able to drive over the lakefront to run. It's always plowed and salted (unlike the Cook County Forest Preserve paths).

I'm at work today, but will work from home tomorrow and possibly Thursday. The office is basically closed tomorrow. You can't be out there commuting when the windchill is -50.

Karen, I know who you are talking about I think. It's beyond me how someone could continue on running with those issues/pain. And I'm not saying that in a good way.

Anne