Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.12.16 (Read 33 times)

Interesting forum today.

Tom - I was sorry to read of your mother's passing. Taking care of grandkids is probably the perfect way to help get through these days. They will keep your mind on other things!

Legalized marijuana. Hmmm. DD#1 lives in Seattle and DD#2 in Denver. I think they both have plants growing in their yards, and not for medical purposes. You read horror stories that marijuana can lead to addiction to harder drugs, and you read stories about how it can help people who really do need it for medical purposes. And living in a state where the rate of alcoholism is really high, I have mixed emotions.

Sounds like a great lunch get-together coming up. Make sure somebody takes pictures!

Sure is nice to see Enke so happy

Steve - I hope you know what a kind, caring person you are!

I've been fighting off a scratchy throat the last few days, which for me is usually the warning signs of a cold coming on. Yesterday I was at the dermatologist for two hours while they removed some cancer spots, then sutured them closed. I had such a carpy run this morning(which the doctor told me NOT to do) and thought it was just because of the surgery. Sure enough - the cold has come on with a vengeance and I feel like I've been run over by a truck. The good news is it's this weekend and not next weekend!

DIL is headed to NYC this afternoon with her mother and four sisters, coming home next Monday. DS#1 will have 3 little boys to entertain and feed while she's gone. He's already asked me if I'm up for the movies and helping him get them to Tball and all of their other activities this weekend. Guess there won't be time to be sick...

wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like a great lunch get-together coming up. Make sure somebody takes pictures!

Sure is nice to see Enke so happy

Agree with both of these thoughts!

Sounds like Jlynne and Tselbs are getting some good grandson time in.  I guess that probably counts as cross training?

I walked for 1.5 miles with Ladybug (Tazzie lay on the porch and waited for us), then did an easy 4 mile run.  Gorgeous day here, high 50s and sunny.  My knee feels fine when I'm running, but hurts afterward, so I'm icing and taking ibuprofen now.   Not sure if this is just pain I need to deal with if I want to start training again, or if it means I should take more time off?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Florida has corn dogs growing wild. I'll bring some.

Before the trip down, wrote (typed) some very specific instructions. Emailed them as well as delivered hard copies. I did that off the clock and from home. The bottom of the page said, "If you have any questions, please see me by the end of the day.". My phone number was included at the end of the note. Forty minutes before the deadline, DW called me. A coworker had a panic and called DW to have her call me so I could call them......... When I interviewed I said that I did not want to be the stable one in the company.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Marijuana - I’m the same about marijuana as I am about men wearing running tights: never have, never will, don’t care what anyone else does, and if I ever did, it would be in black long johns. Maybe that’s because, based on dozens of friends and acquaintances who have done it, in fact, every single one, I don’t believe marijuana is addictive as is alcohol, pain-killers, etc.
          However, whatever Steve has looks pretty good.
          Hiking - though one-and-a-half hours from 4:30 am - 6:00 am of sweeping every single pebble and piece of gravel on the three-fourths mile of sidewalks between GS’s house and his grade school before today’s meeting was supposed to be the main execise for the day, meeting got cancelled so took advantage of another sunny day to head up the four mile trail up to the face of the glacier, ice caves, etc. but, because of record-setting temperatures up here too, global warming, or whatever, the glacier’s receded another two miles so that it can’t even been seen through the trees at the mile three viewpoint that used to be barren rock right up and close to the ice in those days.
          The rest of the way was over a mile long peninsula of sharp rock, ledges, cliffs, overhangs and such precarious footing that I could only get back down by using a staff to rest on while lowering my weight down to a dangling leg trying to touch something.  It was so rugged that both soles on the old hiking shoes I’ve already worn without any problem for five regular hikes on various of the 90-plus maintained trails in the area delaminated and I had to bind the soles to the uppers with the little excess shoe lace that was available and some rusted wire on an old trail sign that no longer exists. 
          ps - lynne, glad the spots were only cancer. 
          Huh?  What?  Are you okay?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)