Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 11.1.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (5 morning miles in 36° with a bit ‘o wind)
    RunnerKSA (5.7 miles, including 4.1 darkness morning miles + 1.5 pre-T or T TM miles)
    Quickadder (5@5 with DD + 1.2 hard for 6.2 total in 55° temps)
    Fatozzig (30 min/ 2.45 miles + core work)
    Tom1961 (lifting work)
    Opus77 (6 miles a 9m/m pace for best month since 5/16)
    Catwhoorg (4 lunchtime miles + walking for candy with the kids)
    Henrun (6 miles - 2 year record distance)
    Holly (4 pre-work TM miles)
    Dave59 (morning gym workout)
    Spacityrunner (2.3 miles on boring flats at 11 m/m pace)

Surly Bill (5.25 miles at 8:12 pace)

Falconfixer (6.5 lunchtime miles + post-work spin teaching)

Tammy (3.1 evening miles in shorts)

Evanflein (6.3 late afternoon, icy miles in 32° with sleety snow, and with spikes on)

Jlynne, our house is well-insulated, and didn't get below low 60s with the power out. No showers on Monday...

Good recap of the emotional/motivational part of your marathon, Metal. With the shape you're in, should you be looking for a half about 2-4 weeks our to run?

Hi, Tom1961 - welcome to the party! Post early, post often...

Gotta love that doc who is working with Cindy, Fatozzig. I hope it continues to go well for her.

We had a total of 2 kids come to our door last night - half of what we expected. So I brought the left-over candy to the office.

Interesting development with my half from Sunday: The walkers and runners who needed extra time started early, at 8:30. There weren’t a lot of us - maybe 30 total. I got out quick (10:13 pace), and saw about 4-5 runners in front of me, but no walkers. Never got passed by a walker. Turns out someone else registered as a walker and turned in a time 3+ min faster than me. When I saw that posted, I told the RD that I never saw any other walker in front of me. He couldn’t find the other guy, and so he assumed that the guy registered as a walker but ran. After the race, he sent an email, and the guy’s wife said he walked the race. He was 3rd last year, with a time that was 40 min slower than me. The RD said his wife said he lost 20 lbs before this year’s race. Is that enough to make up a 40 min differential - I dunno. (I've seen walkers finish a half in under 2:00, so that kind of speed is certainly possible with adequate training.) So the RD decided the other guy won, and asked me (as I had offered to do) to send my trophy to the other guy. I’m skeptical, but I appreciate the difficult position the RD is in, and I won’t give him any grief. It’s just a race, not life/death, so I’m not going to lose any sleep over this. But it has been interesting to watch this all unfold.

Meanwhile, 6.2 RW miles at 4 this morning in 37° temps, under clear skies.

Have a greta Thursday and November!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay- you are more gracious than I would be.  That guy did NOT beat you.  I would bet anything on that.  I bet he did a walk/run and not a true walk.  I hope you get the postage covered for sending the trophy.

3.1 treadmill miles this morning because, well, the Rule.  It's raining (or might have been) outside.  2.5 more miles after work.  5.6 for the day.

I have eaten too much candy....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--that is odd.  It's hard to believe these things come up in local races but they do.  Our local timing company uses a video camera at a couple of spots along race routes to help out with any situations like that.

Read through yesterday thread but no time to post today...

Exercises + 3-mile run.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Rainy morning here so I went to the gym and ran 3 on the treadmill.

Sunday morning forecast is all over the board depending on which web site or local news channel you check.  They all agree it is going to be 60° in the morning, but the chance of rain is anywhere from 15% - 80%..

This half will most likely be another personal worst for me. I haven't been running very much but I still want to do it.  A few things make me hold out hope to not be as slow as I was in February down in Tallahassee.

- I've dropped 10 pounds (a third of what I would like to lose)

- This course is flat and Tallahassee was a killer (at least for me) with half mile up & half mile down every mile.

- I only have to drive 6 miles to the start instead of 12 hours

- I won't be up late messing around with grandkids the 2 nights before the race.

mrrun

Jay - that stinks.  I wonder if he's 'walked' any other local races and you have times for him.  Is he signed up for Sunday?

Ran 4 yesterday and today off to biking and 2 lectures (one art, one politics).  we had one kid and the only left over are lots of quarters to feed the parking meters.

happy november!

marj

Jlynne

Good morning folks. Let me add to your post about giving your 1st AG award to someone you never saw for the entire race. I'm thinking run/walk too. You're being very gracious Jay. And if this guy didn't truly race walk the entire half, he has to live with himself every time he looks at that trophy. I just don't get it...

Nice job on the weight loss Dave!

We got around 75-80 kids yesterday evening. I have a lot of unopened bags of candy left over. There's a dentist here that will take it, package it up and send it to our troops serving overseas. I think that's really neat.

I'm so sorry about your crappy weather Erika. This just seems way too early - even for you.

Good luck to your friend Cindy, Leslie. I hope she gets in the study. And wouldn't it be nice if there were more doctors like that?

4+ miles with the Y girls this morning. It was 28° but no wind. Even with warm mittens, my hands were frozen stiff by the time we got back. My circulation is really horrible. Anyone have suggestions on some type of glove/mitten that works with Raynaud's?

metalmancpa

Good recap of the emotional/motivational part of your marathon, Metal. With the shape you're in, should you be looking for a half about 2-4 weeks our to run?

Thank you. I have not given any thought of any future racing, and have none in the books. There is a local one in Dec, one which I PR'd my HM (1:38:09) last Dec. But right now just not sure if I want to race. All year the training was for a marathon which slowed me down a bit. With winter and tax season coming, I may look at a half next spring to early summer. I personally do not want to enter a HM knowing I haven't trained properly for it because it's my favorite distance. As I previously stated, it's the training I enjoy anyways, and the racing is just, well, a race.

Henrun

Good luck to your friend Cindy, Leslie. I hope she gets in the study. And wouldn't it be nice if there were more doctors like that?

There are many doctors like that and I like to think I was one of them before I retired.

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Masters!!  I just wanted to drop in and wish you all Happy World Vegan Day!!  I could never be vegan, because CHOCOLATE!!  and CHEESE!!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Quick fly-by as I have to report for jury duty.

Am starting back up with core/ST videos.  Today's was a Runner's World video that just about kicked my butt.  It has a bunch of super sets, and suffice to say I was not able to do all the super sets.  There was some fast-forwarding done to get to the next set of super set exercises that I clearly was going to struggle with.

That being said, my arms and legs are nicely exhausted and I will definitely be feeling things tomorrow. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Good Morning all.

Jay, like Marj mentioned, I'd also be curious about some other local races he may have entered and his times.  But like you said, it's not life/death, probably not a huge deal in the overall scheme of life, but still . . . 

Won't be able to run on this first day of a new month. Meeting after work.

Tammy

Good morning Masters.  Sitting here waiting for a conference call about the state XC meet to begin....and the litany of people asking questions which have already been answered!

Rest day for me, even though I really felt like I could go run.  I don't want to ramp up mileage to quickly.  I've already been on the aggressive side this month.

Coastwalker - that sucks about the guy probably not walking the race.  You were very gracious in not calling him out.  Nice 10K RW.

RunnerKSA - well done on adhering to the rule.  Are there other rules around here we noobs should be aware of?

Dave59 - where are you racing?

Jlynne - that's a lot of kids!  In our county they limit T or T to between 6 and 8 PM.  That's not a lot of time for kids to hit all of the neighborhoods, IMO, so we max out at around 30-35 kids usually.

Metalman - you have nothing but time!

HopesMom - me either!  But I'd probably not battle weight so much if I converted...

Have a great day Masters!

Dave59

Dave59 - where are you racing?

I am doing the local Marshall half marathon in Huntington WV.  (There is also a marathon.)  I think it is the biggest race of the year in this area and I was an unofficial volunteer last year.  (I was at a corner where many runners were confused which direction to go so I stood there and pointed for a couple hours.)

We moved here a couple years ago so my wife could help her parents get around. I am still trying to get interested in Marshall sports and activities so I can be a good citizen. I went to a few football games last year, but I haven't made any this year.

pfriese

I started off November with a nice easy paced 12 mile run today.

Paul

Jay - Makes me wonder, too, if he was a walker/runner but walks more so considers himself a walker.  Hmmmm . . . any investigators out there?

Henry - Of course you were!  We wouldn't have expected anything less.

Becoming a Vegan - No, no, and well, no.  I could definitely lean toward vegetarian if I didn't have The Hub (I'd also probably have a dog), but not vegan.  And I'm not sure how I'd survive if I became lactose intolerant.  I love dairy!!

Rudely enough, I was dismissed from jury duty without so much as a crack at the courtroom.  And I look so professional today!  Since I told them I could change tomorrow's doc appt,, I figure it's one of two things (1) someone who saw my name and place of work decided against me (I work for a law office and my boss is the brother of one of the judges) or (2) it's a criminal case, the defendant is being represented by the PD's office, and I did transcription on the case.  At least those are the options I'm going with as opposed to they made a snap judgment against me. 

I'm kinda bummed.  Even though I'm overwhelmed with work at the moment, I enjoyed my two other jury duty stints (years ago) and was looking forward to the possibility of getting on another one.  Oh well.  . . . .  I dare say the sting of rejection shall stay with me for awhile.  

My morning workout is starting to catch up with me.  Oy!

PS - I tried caramel M&M's last night.  You.Have.Got.To.Be.KIDDING ME!  Pure evil in a pretty blue package.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance