Masters Running

Saturday 16 January runs, etc. (Read 456 times)

Wakey-wakey! Where is everybody? No doubt, trying to figure out what Ribs must have smoked yesterday before he posted his harrangue(s). Who let that guy out of Kick anyway?

5 easy before getting the girls. Snow tubing today. Tiredness tonight.

Walt

I planned to run 12 miles easy this morning.  But I was meeting the local running club so I figured "easy" might be in some jeopardy.

Yep.

I got talking to a local lovely who is running Boston and she's trying to decide whether to run this year or next.  Not many locals signed up this year.  I told her I knew many people who would be running her pace (3:30 to 3:40 probably).  Before I knew it she had me running 8:30s.  I tried to ease up a little but still ran the middle miles in the 8:40's.  I finally got myself slowed up for the last 5+ miles at 9 or slightly over.

13.3 miles at 8:51 average pace.  Too quick for the plan but I felt good throughout and the HR stayed in the good range.  We'll see what Tinman has to say when he sees this one!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Workin' on 2 hrs sleep Walt.  Figured trying to go 5 mi. half-dead wasn't the best idea with an ankle sprain.  So, I wait for sleep....and then I hope to be out there!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good Morning,

5 easy for DW & I this morning with 4 loops of the neighborhood

Snow tubing fun for Walt   I used to love taking the kids tubing and sleding, I hope I still have the energy for the Grand kids in 10 years  

34F this morning 2nd straight day above freezing  Nice break after 18 straight days below freezing w/snow on 17 days  I'm glad a mild winter was predicted

After seeing Holly comment about Colorado being further North than Ohio, I checked it out & discovered that

Denver & Cincinnati are the same latitude and NE OHio is 2 degrees further North 

Colorado has a longer Winter because of their higher attitude altitude

Have a Great Weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Does Tinman know you are now using the local lovely ladies training plan Bill? Works well! 

Nice thaw weather going here in MA. 16.2 miles this morning and so happy to be home. I was on the road all week and there's nothing like one's own bed. I may have to nap later just to show gratitude.

Have fun Walt! There's not enough snow here for skiing or tubing which means we'll get nailed in February and March of course!

Lots to catch up on everywhere...gotta scoot.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll... your friend is deciding?  Let's see.. a) she's paid for 2010 and will forfeit the entry fee, or b) she's got some club pass or is not getting in.  This makes little sense? Watch out for those fast wimmen Smile

nono.. smart

Sarge. nice 5

CNY.. another ho,hum 16 miler Smile

This couch potato is off drugs and able to shower today.. yeah!

oh.. and 16 one legged pushups

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Perch/Steve, A.  She's already registered for 2010, but is qualified for 2011.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

I stole a training page from Deez4boyz today.

1800 yds in the pool followed by a core and upper body work out and then out for an easy 8.

Now I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot coco.......Mmmmmm....So good.

About the 8 miler......I wasn't planning on doing 8 but I have had absolutely no pain this week so I'm feeling comfortable with increasing my distance....tomorrow will be an exceptionally easy day.

Tramps

Wow, Ribs really packed a lot into a single day’s posting.  He ought to drop by more often.  (I miss Dark Horse…sometimes.)

Aamos is gonna kick you-know-what, though.

Glad Perch is off the couch and showering again; I was beginning to wonder what that smell was around here.

CNY—got you beat already today.  Not the running; the napping.

18.7 @ 8:13 for me in IRC 30F at the start.  No real goal for this run; just run comfortably.  After two weeks of my Hillypalooza route, this was my mostly flat route so the pace was more zippy.  This also doesn’t include untimed stops to refill my water bottle and two stops to fix my sock/shoe, something which rarely bothers me but which was bugging me today for some reason.  Managed to avoid a blister, though.  Immediately followed up with a big brunch and a nap.  Rain’s coming tomorrow morning and I’ll be sleeping in.

from Walt:

Remember how you once had to save your allowance and go to the record store so that you could buy an album/ 8-track tape? Then wait until your parents weren't home so you could blast it on your house's only stereo, provided that it didn't need a new needle?

Ain't itunes sumtin'?

Yup, although my brother and I shared our own stereo (much to my parents chagrin) and I never owned 8-tracks, I definitely remember the saving up and spending on music and I’m still hauling some of the vinyl around to prove it!  In fact, I’m in the midst of a big transfer job, turning some of my nearly 40-year-old vinyl into WAV files and cleaning up some of the pops and clicks along the way.  It’s a trip down memory lane, to say the least!  While I buy new CDs, I just don’t like that sharp, glassy sound they create on what I’ve come to know and love as warm, full-sounding vinyl. 

I know; I’m old.

[edited to fix about 12 typos ]

Be safe. Be kind.

Great runs everyone!

How I wish we had enough snow here to go tubing, or sledding, or get out of school.....

{{{{{{{{nono}}}}}}}}

Can't complain about the weather this week.  Did 9.1 this morning in 40 degrees, followed by a mile swim.

Happy Long weekend if you get Monday off (I do) 

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon!

Walt – snow tubing – cool!  We’re thinking of taking the kids this year in a few weeks, never been, but there’s a place about an hour away.

Breger – nice run!

Nono – ankle sprain – darn!  I thought your ankle was good the other day.

Sarge – definitely nice having the temperature break.

CNYrunner – enjoy your nap - you deserve one.

Perch – we’re so glad you can shower today.  We had been meaning to speak to you about that.

Slo – no pain – yay!

Tramps – nice speedy 18 today!

Leslie - is that Second Skin anything like Moleskin?

I woke up this morning to find that tomorrow’s LR forecast has changed to 34° and steady rain.  Oh goodie (the woman whines), my least favorite running weather, cold rain.  But I was unprepared to suddenly switch out my LR for today, not having eaten right last night and not mentally prepared anyway, so tomorrow I will get a chance to try out my freezing rain marathon plan.  Certainly I’ll get one of those at some point anyway.

6.6 easy paced (ave 10:10) miles in a foggy 35°.

16 push-ups

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Can Go The Distance

16 miles for me today in IRC 59F and sunny. My time was a bit slower than usual today, 2:48:54 (10:34/mi). I ran along the trails that go down toward the Redondo Beach Pier. The path is very uneven in some parts and there is the usual loose dirt and roots. There is also alot of up and down running. So all that slowed the pace. There is also a very steep hill over the last 1.5 miles, which I think I have mentioned before. Next week I think I will run on the street again where the footing is better and see if my time improves.

Bill: Women! Even at our age they make us do the strangest things!

Sarge: Did you mean to imply that in ten years you will be old? I resemble that remark.

CNY: I should have run another .2 miles I guess. How about those UCONN Women! Off to another great start and what should be another national championship. Did you see how they just destroyed North Carolina last week?

Perch: Glad to see you are up around already. 16 pushups for me today too. Pushups could be another reason I ran slower today. I did 120 yesterday to catch up (not all at one time of course.)

Walt and Tramps: Yes, I remember those days. I was in Jr. High School when the Beatles first came to the USA and appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show (I know, I am old). That Christmas I got my own phonograph record player and some records. I was hooked! I would save up my allowance each week and go the the local record shop and for $1.00 buy a record. After you had bought so many (I don't remember how many) you got one free. I still have most of them in my garage. Tramps, since I am old and technologically challenged, could you explain to me how I go about transfering vinyl to WAV files. It would be really "bitchin," as we used to say, to have them to listen to while I run. I wonder how far and fast I could run listening to Inagodadavida?

Holly: Big time rain heading for SOCAL this week so I may have to run twice a day to get in my mileage. Fortunately I love to run in the rain, but not cold rain like you have.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

After complaining to my DH yesterday that I was almost run down by a car twice, once at a pedestrian crossing and the other at a major intersection, he said, you know, it is so dark during the day you should really just pretend it is nighttime.  He suggested I wear my reflective vest.  I didn't, but I did see 3 out of 4 runners today wearing full length ALL NEON YELLOW running jackets.  I think he's onto something.

5.3 miles easy (long run for the week!) with toes getting sore towards the end.  I'm glad I had my headband and tights (40F) as a chilly fog rolled in half way through the run.

I was practising running and looking to my left or right because I seem to have some problem tracking like that.  I usually see nothing specific but a lot of up and down jumble.  This would be residual nerve damage from the inner ear infection, that I haven't compensated for yet.

Nice of Ribs to drop by.

What's this about Nono running a sub 4 marathon??  What a star!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

Nono – ankle sprain – darn!  I thought your ankle was good the other day.

Oh it is good -- but didn't think running on 2 hrs sleep with it recovering would be good -- too easy being tired to mis-step and blow the whole thing. I've only had 1 other hour sleep though, so here I lie on the couch, watching wrestling (my kids!).  I see a treadmill in my future...

Enke, Spareribs is 17 seconds off -- I ran my marathon in 4:00:16...but I didn't want to break his heart and tell him that.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Tramps, since I am old and technologically challenged, could you explain to me how I go about transfering vinyl to WAV files. It would be really "bitchin," as we used to say, to have them to listen to while I run. I wonder how far and fast I could run listening to Inagodadavida?

Bruce, here's a simple overview of how I'm doing it (and I use the free software he mentions).  Now, if you're a real audiophile, you can spend a fortune on record-cleaning machines, vinyl cleaning solutions, etc.  But I'm really just looking to get my old vinyl into a format that I'm much more likely to use, so this works fine for me.  I bought a big spindle of blank CD's and a case of CD cases (another old-guy trait: I like the old-school thick CD cases).  I find saving as a WAV file (not MP3) really does make a significant difference.   MP3 files are much smaller and therefore well-suited suited for sending over the Internet; WAV files are much bigger but they retain much more of the sound data.  Record something both ways and you'll see the difference.  Have fun!

Be safe. Be kind.