Masters Running

Think you know your running? Here's a tough quiz for you. Win a pair of socks too! (Read 357 times)

King of PhotoShop

In an effort to get more page views than my co-writer on the Dallas Morning News running blog, this week I'm featuring a running quiz with a free pair of socks giveaway.  Take a look and see how you do!  Spareribs

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/think-you-know-running-take-spareribs-quiz-and-win-a-pair-of-socks.html/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For some reason, I couldn’t figure out the questions on training and just when I was wishing some of the others had multiple choice, I got to wishing that the ones that did, didn’t. . . .. just the way I like it.   I bet aamos could get them all though.  Good thing I don't need/use socks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

You're a good sport Tet.  Thanks for playing. You did pretty well actually.   Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

So many people did so poorly that I am now opening it up to Google and any resource you like.  I have a couple of people who came close, but just not close enough.  Go for it!   Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Here are the answers to the first 3 questions.  I'll post the rest on Thursday:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/spareribs-running-quiz-heres-the-winner-and-the-answers.html/

King of PhotoShop

Dave59

I have never understood what people mean by striking the mid-foot first.  Doesn't the shape of the foot prevent that?  You can hit with your heel first, or you can hit with your toes first, but if you try to land on the middle of your foot, you are going to be hitting your heel at the exact same moment.  I don't see anyway around that unless your foot has a very odd shape.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Dave.  First off, I was careful to eliminate sprinters, as they often get right up on the forefoot, not the toes, but the very front of the foot.  The midfoot strike is different from heel to toe in that the landing, while appearing to be simultaneous from the forefoot to the heel, actually takes the pressure at the front part of the foot, and has come to be called the "midfoot strike."  How you land on your foot is intentional and can be changed with practice.  When I changed i pictured landing such that if someone had his finger on the ground right where my heel landed he wouldn't feel like I had stomped on him.  All the weight is on the front of the foot.  Does that help?  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

This wraps up the trivia quiz answers.  Thanks all who played, especially Tet.  Spareribs

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/abebe-bikila-the-barefoot-ethiopian-and-other-fun-stuff.html/