Masters Running

The Wednesday Daily, 3.21.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tooseday’s terrific workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.6 before-work miles in 59° temps - nice)
    Tramps (8.7 miles with hillage)
    Deeze (1 hr swim, 1 hr. computerizing, 1.5 TM miles, with PT in the afternoon)
    Catwhoorg (5 shaded miles, getting ready for summer heat)
    Stumpy (4 lakeside miles, with a little ice, feeling fastish)
    Tomwhite (1.5 hours fly casting, 40 min pool run)
    Holly (4.3 morning TM miles)
    BerthaSlayer (6 miles with 4 sets of Little Bertha/Chenard Loop combos [?])
    C-R (streak-preserving mileage in DC)
    Mike (post-chiropractor weights workout)
    Spacityrunner (3.3 sunset miles in pollen-filled, lung-hurting air)
    Mariposai (6.87 miles [it is what it is] with butterfly wings)
    Tet (5 dry miles after threatening the skies)

I’m glad you all are still giddy over the ‘happiness” issue! Tomwhite, that Abe Lincoln quote sounds suspiciously like what Enke said. And there sure are some ‘famous runners’ who have some interesting quotes…

Thanks for the cake, Tramps - would'a been a tasty breakfast! Great Blue Herons sure are majestic, aren’t they? It pretty much sucks that H&R Block and Intuit are blocking making tax prep easier so they can preserve their profits and bonuses. I understand it is a business decision, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it, or that the government should do what is best for these businesses instead of what is best for tax payers. Separately, I also thought that Al G. started the internet, but I guess Abe L. beat him to it…

I hope day 3 of feeling bad is the last of it, Dave.

Good luck with that MRI, Deeze.

Sorry, Jlynne, but it sounds like you may have gone back to work too quickly. And just thinking about getting a shot in the bottom of my foot makes me wince. Yowsa!

Sorry about more Eric drama, Mike. Keep kicking’.

I hope the achilles feels better today, Twocat. Remind me again in September about those lobster rolls for Rosie’s team members.

Doc wants me to get a cat scan because of a fall I had in late January, but the cost (not to me, because I’m covered with Medicare + supplemental, but it is still a cost) is $3,000-$5,000, plus the radiologist = a lot of bucks just to rule something out. I’ve been fine since that fall, so I’m inclined to pass on the test and maybe do it if something else happens. DW has other thoughts on this issue, so a final decision hasn't been made.

6.4 RW miles at J o'clock this morning under about a 3/8 moon and clear skies with 34° temps and ramping-up winds. The temps are going to drop all day today as the winds increase, and the WC will be below 0 again tonight. So much for Spring...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.7 early treadmill miles before flight to sunny Florida.  Hope to do a little more when I get there.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Good morning.

Jay--I'm with you on the CAT scan, unless there's lingering ongoing issues that warrant it.

CR--it's gonna be breezy out there today.  Also, my understanding is that cherry blossoms were a bit of a bust this year.  Early budding followed by hard frost killed off about half of them.  Quite a sight to see when they're in full bloom though; I like around sunset.  Running on the Mall and the Tidal Basin is my favorite urban run but, like Spa said, not when the tourists are here for the cherry blossoms. (Not my picture, BTW.)

Mike--sorry to hear about more drama.  You deserve some calm.

EZ 6 with sun and a cool breeze.  Runs have been rather listless lately; not sure what's up.  Meh.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

In the low 20's this morning didn't really feel like spring, but we had so many warm days in February, I can't complain.

DD's lacrosse team got soundly beaten at last night's game, but it was fun to watch DD as a fierce defender.  She loves this sport so much, she says she has found her niche with it, and begged me to come to all her games, if possible.  Some of those games are pretty far away - tomorrow's game is 40 minutes south of our house when I work 40 minutes north, but if I take off work a little early I should be able to get to those by the 6pm start.

No run for me today.  DD had an 8:30 ortho appt. and when DH asked me if that meant I was sleeping in, I suddenly couldn't resist.  20 minutes of weights and core instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

One of my favorite quotes from a famous runner is:

“IN WINE THERE IS WISDOM, IN BEER THERE IS FREEDOM, IN WATER THERE IS BACTERIA.” — BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

The odd thing is that the word bacteria wasn't really hatched until many years after Benjamin Franklin so I am not sure how he came up with it.

I'm still a bit congested and I'm coughing here and there, but  I went to the gym and worked out on the ARC trainer and then with some weights.  I didn't cough while there and I wiped the machines down pretty good when I was done so hopefully I didn't spread anything. I would hate to be known as "patient zero" of the great WV epidemic of 2017.

Mike E

MM #5615

DW has other thoughts on this issue, so a final decision hasn't been made.

It sounds to me like there HAS been a final decision made...let us know how the cat scan results turn out...

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..mornin' guys.......

50s here but no wind

40-min at CityPark with 2-lb TrailBoots and 4-lb HikingStick

talked to

My CrazyBrother last night, we're both getting ready to Walk The Other One Down

........ah, families..........

....................god running to ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad to see you two aren't competitive

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - good luck on the cat scan you don't need.

tomw - are you going to Coeur d'Alene?

Five dry morning miles under threatening skies

making for yesterday's 5 + plus Sunday's 13.1

= 23.1 miles without a drop.  Maybe I could get

used to that First Rule of Running after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

4 tm miles. I had little motivation to get this one done but did it anyway.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

What Mike E wrote. coastwalker I hope the MRI comes up empty.

The over/under on my run today went to the under. The tendons into my ankle are still not 100%. I have two (I hope!) marathons coming up this spring and I do not want to do anything that will risk jeopardizing them. No running until I am sure all is well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

3 slow miles, mostly on the school dirt track...but at least my knee was ok.  Strange weather, it spiked to 61 F this afternoon, shortly after what was a downpour.  March comes in like a lion...

Jlynne - sorry to hear you still feel awful.

Mike - sorry about the drama, hang in there.

I want to get into hiking shape - I've got a few big hikes I'd like to do this summer, and if I attempted them right now, it'd be a disaster with 30 pounds on my back.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

spacityrunner

It sounds to me like there HAS been a final decision made...let us know how the cat scan results turn out...

+1  

What a difference a day makes...no pollen, no bugs just 61f and 61% humidity...4.1 speedy miles up and down the hills around the workplace.  I feel very fortunate that I 1) can run at lunch and 2) have someplace fairly traffic free to run.  It may not be the prettiest area of Hot Springs, but it gets the job done!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 and change on my hilly route

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18