Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

spacityrunner

Hiya Opus  i get the lurking part.. Most of us are refugees from Coolrunning so we get it!  jump into our other threads 40/40 and the intrepid racers, and watch for milktrucks Monthly mileage thread.   And a big welcome to you all!!!!

Looking forward to lurking for a bit, as I feel like a bit of an intruder at this point, lol.  Would like to start posting on the dailies soon.

Thanks!

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yeah--once you start posting, you're no longer an intruder, just one of the regulars.  Welcome all--guess I missed a large segment of this.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Welcome to the recent folks....Tom, Darkwave, Opus.

"RWOL" is.....?  (Runner's World something something, I'm guessing.)

Be safe. Be kind.

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi Friends! I'm also a former RW Masters 10 years. Just passed my 10 year running anniversary. Started running because I had a goal of marking my 50th birthday with a 5 mile run. Did that then started racing. I have way, way too many finisher and place medals to count. I've enjoyed all distances. I have a husband of 21 years, 5 children, 5 grandchildren, 2 great grandchildren and 1 on the way. I started young. I live in North Central Kansas. Thank you for letting me tag along here. My RW Masters were like family to me!! Love them all and wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Hi OPUS! So glad I found you.

Blessing to your all! Spunky

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Forgot to mention... I'm the one in the pink

Quickadder

Another RW refugee checking in. Glad to see Opus & Spunky here and several of the other RW Old Masters on the 60+ forum.

I'm an Englishman residing in SW Louisiana so have had to learn to cope with both climactic and cultural shocks. Never considered myself athletic and didn't make any sports teams at school though I did end up running in the Senior Mile on my final sports day - think I didn't step back quick enough when they asked for volunteers - and got lapped but finished in 6:34. After that my most energetic sports activity was steel-tip darts for many years.

I work for a CPA and in 2015 the end of tax season coincided with my stepdaughter signing up for a 4 mile race on the 4th of July. Having been sat at my desk for many hours for the previous 3 months I thought it might be an idea to try and run that race with her. I thought I'd better do some training ahead of the race and tried to run laps around the yard, initially doing more walking than running. Entered my first 5K the last week of June 2015 and broke 30 minutes and that is probably when I was hooked, though that could have been finishing ahead of DD in the 4 miler or winning the 60+ AG in an evening 5K a few weeks later (the fast old guys didn't turn out for a race where it was 90F at the start).

Ran my first 10K in November 2015 and my first HM four weeks after that. Joined RW forums about that time and benefited greatly from the advice of more experienced runners there. Started hitting the local trails on a regular basis and learned the hard way that tree roots can be a hazard. Joined the local running club and an informal running group that had several members training for marathons. Ran my own first marathon March 2017 at age 62 and in a time of 4:32:09. More to come, I hope.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

Anzlo

Yet another RW refugee looking for place to listen for advice and experiences as well as to share my own.

Like a couple others that shared earlier this thread I come over from a group of 60+ runners.  I have been running regularly for the last seven years mostly for fitness and health but I do select a couple target events for time each year where I push myself hard for a race time.  I have not run a 5K for time, but each year I try to get a 10K time and a HM time.  I have participated in about two dozen HM's. I have participated in five marathons, three for fun and spousal support (my wife runs as well), and two for time.  I have under performed at the marathon distance on the two time attempts; the first attempt I injured my right foot coming off a curb and hobbled in the last eight miles and the second was in 80 degree temps.  My marathon time is soft and I believe I can improve on that next year.  I have some health issues that limit my mileage some and I have no choice but to use run/walk for the marathons, but run 10K's and HM's.

At the moment I am coming off a bad stretch of two months with nutrition and injury issues (not running related).  This is the first real week of being cleared for some regular but low mileage running for me in awhile.  I was disappointed this year when I missed my chance for another sub-2 HM because of injury after doing that the last five years.

I look forward to listening to what you folks have to share 

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

metalmancpa

Hello All.

Yet another Runners World refugee. I just found the Facebook platform a lousy place to migrate to.

I'm Jonathan, 57 y.o, I've been running full time for about two years now, and have my first marathon a little over 3 weeks away. My goal is a sub-4, although predictors have me closer to 3:35-3:40 (which I don't believe is feasible). I feel I have done fairly well for a self-taught, lone wolf runner who enjoys training more than racing. I'm consistent, and for me that's all I strive for. I am not super detailed in my training, utilizing a typical 1 long run, 1 speed, and the rest easy runs per week. As a CPA who analyzes and grinds numbers daily, it's the last thing I want to do with my running.

Metal - glad you followed us.  Need to get a few more refugees over here!  This is a very welcoming group and feels a lot like "home."

Liney

Hello Masters,

I'm another former RWOL person migrating here. I'm missing the running community. Have been a runner since 1980 with a few hm's under my belt so not much of a long distance runner. Trail running has become my obsession.  I am 60 and live in southwest Indiana, married with 4 "kids" and 2 beautiful granddaughters. I work in the schools as a speech/language pathologist.  At this point in time I'm pretty much only a runnier in my mind so may be more of a lurker than a poster. Dealing with weird injuries that won't go away for the past 2 years. Chronic bursitis is part of the equation along with autoimmune stuff that may be contributing. So my usual "run" is a 4 mile route of walk/run and I try to hit the trails by hiking as often as possible. But I am not ready to give up on running or my virtual running group. Happy running all!

Hi Liney!  Glad you came over too.  Hopefully more follow, as this is a good group over here.

elizabethnyc

Hi all,

Another runner migrating over from the RW online forums.  I'm early 50s, been running off and on for 17 or 18 years now.  I've had an Achilles/heel problem off and on for 5 years now, and consequently am a low mileage and slow pace runner at the moment.  But I still enjoy it and still call myself a runner.

Looking forward to getting to know folks!

Elizabeth

<form>

Upcoming races:

14October:  Shelburne Farms 5k

25November:  Jingle Jog 5k

9December:  NYRR Ted Corbitt 15k

</form>

Don Patrol

Don Patrol (aka Darrel) here.  Though I've had an account on RA for several years, I've been more active on the RW forums until recently.  I'm in the Greensboro, NC, area, and have been running since the mid-90s.  I'm an EARLY morning runner - hence the screen name!  My DW runs, also, and we travel to some races where I'll run the full marathon and she'll run the half.  I was injured in 2016 and have been slowly getting back up to speed - figuratively and literally.  I've run 14 marathons, Boston 2017 the most recent, and I'm working on a plan to run six marathons in six months in 2017-2018.  I'm also a cyclist and sometime swimmer, so I'm a big fan of the F.I.R.S.T. / Run Less Run Faster training system: run 3 days/wk, ride 3 days/wk, and do some strength training and yoga.  Since I started the RLRF training a few years ago, all of my aches and pains have abated, mostly.

I probably won't be a regular "dailies" poster, as I started back to full-time employment about a year ago, and don't have as much time as I used to.  But, I enjoy seeing what others are up to and getting good tips and advice as well as offering my opinions and advice, too; they’re always well-reasoned and insightful, I assure you! Smile

Happy running!

Marathon Maniac since 3/2016. Marathon PR: 3:29:25 - Richmond 2015.  Back to Boston in 2019!!

Don Patrol

Don Patrol (aka Darrel) here.  Though I've had an account on RA for several years, I've been more active on the RW forums until recently.  I'm in the Greensboro, NC, area, and have been running since the mid-90s.  I'm an EARLY morning runner - hence the screen name.  My DW runs, also, and we travel to some races where I'll run the full marathon and she'll run the half.  I was injured in 2016 and have been slowly getting back up to speed - figuratively and literally.  I've run 14 marathons, Boston 2017 the most recent, and I'm working on a plan to run six marathons in six months in 2017-2018.  I'm also a cyclist and sometime swimmer, so I'm a big fan of the F.I.R.S.T. / Run Less Run Faster training system: run 3 days/wk, ride 3 days/wk, and do some strength training and yoga.  Since I started the RLRF training a few years ago, all of my aches and pains have abated, mostly.

I probably won't be a regular "dailies" poster, as I started back to full-time employment about a year ago, and don't have as much time as I used to.  But, I enjoy seeing what others are up to and getting good tips and advice as well as offering my opinions and advice, too; they’re always well-reasoned and insightful, I assure you! Smile

Happy running!

Marathon Maniac since 3/2016. Marathon PR: 3:29:25 - Richmond 2015.  Back to Boston in 2019!!

I'm yet ANOTHER RWOL refugee!

Hey all, glad to see so many familiar names!

Short story for the uninitiated: I'm a former U of Oregon 800/1500/steeple runner from the mid 80's (never suited up, that's another story). Currently running for the fun of it and doing the typical midlife crisis thing of contemplating ultramarathons. I haven't raced since the mid 90's, but my current fitness level a few months from my 55th birthday is 11:35 3k, 2:56 trail 20 mile. Hoping to heal my bum achilles enough so that I can do speedwork and hit a decent 1500m next summer. I'm a horrible distance runner, I belong on the track.

I'm an active and opinionated shoe and gear critic, currently having a love affair with Skechers as my jilted Hokas glare from the shelf. My experience with, and interest in, industrial design will make reading my reviews and opinions tedious, so don't read them.

Living in fabulous Richmond, CA, but have yet to be shot at or robbed. Lovingly entangled with a life accomplice of several years and her two now high school age kids. Also a 16 year old Rat Terrier named Pickles, and equally elderly cat and a year old siamese that we were conned into taking last summer ("you want a free kitten?") YES says the girl. Now I feed it, and it walks on ME in the middle of the night. I do whatever for a living, I define myself by my interests and not my revenue stream.

Looking forward to continuing our discussions from RWOL and entering new ones!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying