Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ on the Run - w/e 01/02 (Read 547 times)

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man (and woman).  ~Benjamin Franklin

Joe - 15 miles on a treadmill?  I've never been able to get past 7.  Nice job!

Ev - Christmas blow - nice!

Cindy - Glad you got to be home, and that everyone behaved.  You are a strong woman to deal with that gang of yours.

Freezer clean out this a.m.  (there was some nasty, totally unidentifiable stuff in there), and later will make dinner for my Pops.  Other than that, nothing on the schedule.  It did feel good to sleep in this a.m., even with the zoo flying in and out of the bedroom half the morning.

Have a good one -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Thanks for the quote Leslie, he sure was a smart guy.

Hi Everyone....

All our snow's gone. Back outside today for a nice 5er in sunshine and 48*. Officially putting a fork in the NYG's season. Oh well, there's always next year. 

Got back from my run today to see the half-time score, Joe.  Sorry for the way this one turned out. 

I'll be taking a nap so I can stay awake for this evening's game. 

Leslie.....I see you're still alive!  What a weekend of running for you.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

I did an easy 6 in not quite as cold and windy of conditions as we have had, but cold enough to run in my backcountry ski clothes. They worked pretty well as the softshells break the wind but still breathe.  I got some new under armor run gloves for Christmas that worked pretty good this morning. Toe hurt for the first 1/2 mile then seemed to just go away and feels ok now. The shoulder I crashed on is still pretty sore, might have to have that one looked at. Thats the third time its been tweaked but its not Dessa Lou's fault. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Leslie you are scaring me a bit there, glad you got a nice sleep in morning.

Joe 15 on the TM Holy Crap!!! Sorry bout the NYG, yup always next yr. Thanks for the congrats on the planter. Kinda hard to be without in my biz and this one is gonna be nice, don't think I'd want to ride on it, even tho it cost as much as a new Vette.

Cindy glad there wasn't too much drama at your house and you got Christmas at home. Bet you are glad you guys didn't have to commute to Hastings this yr. Hope the foot comes around for ya.

Carol sounds like quite the house full, were the dogs and cat from different households, You just have Katy dog?

Ev, a good run, a Sunday afternoon nap and football, "a purty good day"!

'Spose Arla's still on the road? Hiya to Kevin and anyone else out there.

Lazily (is that a word?) doing a little home improvment project, adding some closet shelving, probably just fill it up with run stuff! Next week will be a busy one with year end but for today I'm gonna just take it as it comes!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Quiet in here today!  No run for me.  After two days of total sluggishness, tomorrow it's back to the merry-go-round.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Shsssh, you'll wake us all up .

Crisp and somewhat speedy 10.3 tonight @ 9:03 in 30* and clear. Oh btw, logged mile # 3,001 for 2009. What a year. Celebrating with a cold one!

Oh btw, logged mile # 3,001 for 2009. What a year. Celebrating with a cold one!

Very nice!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Verrry kewl Joe!! Btw Ev - there's no such thing as a "lazy home improvement project" Wink. 90 mins in the fitness room again this am..5readmill was busy so, 30 mins stationary bike, 100 sit-ups, light yoga & a cpl wgt sets...will have to do for now Smile Cheers!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Oh btw, logged mile # 3,001 for 2009. What a year. Celebrating with a cold one!

"Oh, btw"?!?!?  Like it's not a big deal?!?  Geesh!   Holy Crap and Congratulations! 

30 min of cycling for me this a.m., followed by 30 min of TRX-ing.  I need to up some of my stuff on the TRX.  Not really feeling it today.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Btw Ev - there's no such thing as a "lazy home improvement project" Wink.  

Couldn't agree with you more!  I don't think there's such a thing as a lazy anything! 

Nice work out, btw, mtn......   I gotta do me some of that xtraining someday.  I'd like to try the yoga thing too.  There appears to be something very satisfying about yoga.....mind and body.

Congrats Joe!!! But...ummm...I'm thinking that $3K calls for at least 3 cold ones! 

Jim, nope, you and lazy don't belong in the same sentence.  Just THINKING about home improvement projects makes me tired.

Ev, got snow today?  Made a bold prediction last night that the Boys are going to the superbowl...of course, that was after a glass of pinot grigio, so we'll see.

Cindy, way to make do with what you have!

Leslie, thanks for starting us off Smile.  Loved your zoo comment.  Can definitely relate!

To answer Jim's critter question....we actually have 4 dogs and 1 cat who allow us to live with them, and my mom brings her Lhasa to make it a full house on holidays.  I mainly talk about Katy here because she is a bundle of energy, the best runner, and the biggest troublemaker challenge. In addition to Katy, we have: Squirt - 12 year old small terrier mix, Scooter - 7ish year old stocky lhasa/terrier mix, Cooper - 11 year old spaniel/cocker type mix, and Baloo - the pretty cat with me in my picture, probably persian/russian blue mix.

We've toured 5 retirement homes/apartements in the last couple of days, and found 3 that were really nice and look like good possibilities for my father-in-law.  2 of them are within a couple of miles of our house, which would be great!

As for runs, I've been back out with Katy on our 3 mile park route 3 of the last 4 days.  Running some, walking some, peeing some (katy), etc.  Have been feeling kind of bad about my (lack of) progress / accomplishments on the running front lately.  Then it hit me that in 2009, I did my first 1/2 marathon, 1st triathlon, and learned to swim.  Maybe not so bad after all if I take a little longer view, and looking forward to more in 2010. 

Progress Trumps Pefection
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I agree with Carol--3K is worth more than just 1.  almost 60 MPW??  

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Hi Guys,

thanks for the well wishes and once again your advice is right on the money. Three beers are defiantly a great idea,I'm just waiting a bit .New Year's Eve sounds like a fine time to celebrate one milestone in what has turned out to be a less than memorable year. I tend to look at the bright side of things,but this year has been a doozy in a lot of ways!

Speaking of critters,it's nice that yours let you stay there with you Carol. We have the same arrangement in our house but only with Buddy and Lucky. Below is a recent picture that furthers my suspicion that Lucky the "cat" is really the devil incarnate and is secretly and diabolically planning our demise, and perhaps total world domination !!!!!

Ha!  What a perfect description of a great picture, Joe!

Made a vet run this a.m. with 2 of my 6 4-legged hairy creatures.  Our old guy was dehydrated, but that was a given,but also has an upper respiratory infection.  The vet keeps trying to talk us into giving him fluids every other day, but we all hate it - especially Fatso - so we're sticking with the every 3rd day thing.  Cripes, the old guy is almost 20, and although we keep expecting him to go "soon," I have a feeling we only have him around for a few more months.  I want to torture him as little as possible.  Vet said he's one of the oldest cats they're working with right now.

The other guy, Chico (one of our new ones), has a weird chin infection, as well as an upper respiratory infection (which is contagious  amongst cats).  PLUS, he needed his vaccine booster.  PLUS, he needed to be wormed.  PLUS, I needed to get wormer for everyone else.  PLUS, I needed to get more fluids for Fats.  Suffice to say, it was a very expensive morning.

That aside - I had to shorten my strides run this a.m. to 8 instead of the usual 10 as I was short on time.  Had a great run with an average of 9:34, which included some hill work, but I feel like I'm fighting a stomach issue.  A couple of people in our office have been a little ill in that regard, so who knows.  So far (knock on wood), everything else has missed our household.

Have a good one, friends.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all! Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy New Year! Just a quick hi, been a busy holiday season, lots of family stuff and all. Got sorta caught up skimming over everyone's adventures and usual insanity...congrats Joe on the 3K, Carol, Ev and Kevin on still hanging in with running, Cindy and Jim for maintaining sanity, and Leslie for yet another successful back-to-back long run weekend! Wow!!

Back on the road the last couple days, had a nice run on the beach today, just about to get into taper mode, which is too bad since I have done some serious overeating the last few weeks!

Arla

Ex runner