Masters Running

Saturday 2.25.17 (Read 41 times)

Tramps

Alright, I'm jumping in to get us started.  This is all Jay's fault.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I've worn glasses since I was 12 years old and I have never sat on them.  That's gotta count for something, right? It may simply be because they're the first thing I put on the morning and that last thing I take off at night; I'm pretty well blind without them.

Mike and Leslie--neither of you whine. Now quit whining about whining.

Personally, I think you are better off 100% in stocks all the time until you die and then your heirs should be 100% in stocks. It would take to long to explain why here, but if you want a clue look up something called the equity premium puzzle.

Accessible explanation. (Spoiler alert: "puzzle" makes it sound more fun than it actually is.)

Twocat--I sort of get the overly-risk-averse point but shouldn't that be tempered by timing?  I thought folks looking at retirement in the very near term were especially vulnerable to 2008-style crashes (or even the likely drop from our current bubble)? Or, even there, are you just better riding it out?

3-miles to stretch the legs.  60's again this morning but front's coming through later to bring cooler temps.

I have three days to run 25 miles for 200 in February.  Totally doable.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' tramps//...........after getting glasses in the 5th Grade, this was the First time I ever sat on them........

even

if you never did it before,

it's one of those

'' Oh Crappe'' Moments...........and you know EXACTLY what you just did

===========

...but I digress......

Big Storm

pushed thru last nite,

Big Pile of Hail from our house's eaves but no apparent damage

....40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

probably

picking up sticks later today,

temps went from 80s yesterday to 20s tonite

....................good Running to ya........

ETA-

thanks to twocat, Good Advise on retirement,

I actually

had my Broker Congratulate me on Losing LESS money that his other clients in the 2008 Crash

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

5.85 miles in the park this morning.  Heavy rain last night and a couple loud crashes of thunder.  Even hours after the rain stopped the runoff coming down the hills at the park was flowing fast.

Any forum encounters going on this fall?  I was thinking of coming up with something to do in the fall if I decided to do more than local runs.

Tramps, you must have a different definition of "accessible" than I do!

TW, that's one reason why I never set my glasses on my bedspread. It has a pattern that really hides them and I came close to sitting on them a couple of times. Also that's one less place for me to check when I've "lost" them.

Well, back to winter this morning, running in the 30s with snow flurries. And talk about windy! I always use the flag at the parking lot as my wind gauge, and at the start of the 6-mile loop it was straight out with a 15mph breeze. As we made our way around, it switched from a strong headwind to become a nice tailwind for a while, then a long sheltered section before heading back into it near the end. By this time the temperature had dropped and the wind changed from flag-straightening to flag-snapping: 20mph+. The last half mile was brutal, but it was after all the last half mile and hot coffee was waiting in the warming shelter.

So 6 for the day once again!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

1:41 and change for my half this morning.

Time wasn't where I wanted it to be but ....

Hard to argue with being the fastest male.

(Fastest female did beat me but I still WON. Look it says right there)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

1:41 and change for my half this morning.

Time wasn't where I wanted it to be but ....

Hard to argue with being the fastest male.

(Fastest female did beat me but I still WON. Look it says right there)

Nice!

catwhoorg you do not have to beat everyone. Just those that show up! Congratulations.

Tramps risk is proportional to time. If you invest for 2 years you have twice the chance of investing during a crash than when you invest just 1 year. When you write down a simple savings-consumption model for retirement out pops the rule that you should decide how much risk you are willing to live with when you start your career (way back when you are 20). Based on that pick a ratio of debt to equity investments and then maintain that ratio the rest of your life. The equity premium puzzle says that unless you are spectacularly risk averse, then that ratio should be 100% in equities. The 100 minus your age rule for equities comes out of pretty much thin air.

I ran 19 miles this morning in pea soup thick fog. I do mean pea soup thick. It never broke either. Fortunately, I met up with the local Joggers Club and ran 10 miles with a couple of 2016 Rosie Ruiz Fan Club members. Hilly route. My calves are complaining up a storm.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks tramps.

incidentally, I'm keeping the fish slapping image

for future reference for GS one of these days.

Did not intend anything this weekend but with the rains predicted to return tomorrow,

enjoyed the sun and some emerging yellow daffodils, ruby-red plum blossoms, etc.

along a variation of the typical weekday five-miler.  I'm not much of a believer of running

in the winter so, at 29o, it was my coldest run ever ever since Econo's redemption

Christmas Marathon a dozen years ago at the same race where Leslie's friend,

Dr. Kate, qualified for MM-dom.

Leslie -speaking of long recoveries, is Kate still on the DL?

I thought it would bolster some resolve to check out how many degrees below zero

it was up in Erika-land.  Must be a mistake but the weather charts show 31o up there,

two degrees warmer than here in Seattle. Maybe they got mixed up with Erika being in Phoenix.

ps tom - I've stepped on a lot, a very lot, but the most memorable

was more than 50 years ago trying to make a good impression

on a canoe date when I was more interested in trying to identify

the minnows swimming alongside the canoe than in my date, . . .

and we got to watch my glasses sashay out of sight into the depths.

A year, did the same up on a wilderness lake in Erika-land but sine date.

Don't have to worry now, though, as my eyesight is so much better than ever

on the upside of the bell curve of Fuch's Dystrophy that, for the first time

in my life, I passed the driver license renewal exam sine glasses.

Unfortunately, if's headed for the downside now.

ps twocat - after my parents' fear of the stock market,

we focused on real estate. Now my kids are focusing on neither.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

catwhoorg--Congrats!  Great custom trophy, too.

Doug--for the rest of us (the story):

Good-sized hail storm came through with the front.  Thankfully, brief. Cooler temps tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Congratulations catwhoorg on your win.

Today hubby and i took part in a fatass race called Malden Death Race put on by some friends training for Georgia Death Race. I finished 20 miles and 30 Big Berthas (not to be confused with her sister Little Bertha). 30 ups and downs got you iron. My glutes are going to hate me in the morning.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Why reporters should be banned from writing about finance or economics. The target date fund advice is simply awful! We have lots of data and studies showing they charge a lot for doing basically nothing. Most people wind up with much lower returns than simply rebalancing on their own would produce. The rest of the post card is okay.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Interesting advice Twocat, as I guess I have some money (very little) in one of those target date funds.  Next job I get, I will look into different options.

Congratulations BerthaSlayer and Catwhoorg!

Yesterday I went out for 4 miles, and right near the end, my dang knee sent me a few distress signals in the form of sharp pain.  This is different than the general tendon soreness/tightness I get on the inside of that knee.  This is in the joint, and I haven't had this in about a year.  So I was pretty bummed out.  I plan to take Gigi out for a short inaugural ride of the year today....got to get my butt used to the bike seat again, and build up some muscle around that stupid knee.

I think we all wish we were in Phoenix this weekend!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Neat hardware for folks today.  And there's a couple from AZ that haven't even shown up yet!

Summertime in February around my neck of the woods.  59 when I went out and 62 when I got back.  4 miles around the lake that felt hard, but turned out to be a bit speedier than it felt.  probably aided by what must have been a pretty decent tailwind on the last mile and a half.  pace dropped by almost a minute/mile.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spacityrunner

A sweet little 4.1 mile slog around the hood in IRC.  50f sunny and a slight breeze.  Of course I was overdressed   It's been a tough week for me both running and pet wise, but we'll get through it.  For those of you that don't do FB, my 13 yo delightful Gabbi cat was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  She began rapidly losing weight which prompted the trip to the vet and the diagnoses.  There are several options, none of them perfect, and the one I am leaning towards (radioactive iodine treatment) requires a trip to memphis and lots of money   So, its one more call to my vet on Monday with a whole host of questions and we will make the decision that is best for her, me and the rest of the animal kingdom in my home.  If any of you have experience with this please share your thoughts.  I have had a ton of support on FB, but in situations like this it never ever hurts to get as much feedback as possible.

Twocat and tramps thanks for the advice.  I am sharing with a young co worker who is looking for such advice.

I love running.

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations catwhoorg on your win.

Today hubby and i took part in a fatass race called Malden Death Race put on by some friends training for Georgia Death Race. I finished 20 miles and 30 Big Berthas (not to be confused with her sister Little Bertha). 30 ups and downs got you iron. My glutes are going to hate me in the morning.

It looks like you nailed it!  Very cool!