Masters Running

2023 Charleston Distance Run Post Mortem (Read 32 times)

Dave59

(I do not expect anyone to read all this, but I'm sitting here recovering with nothing better to do than write a short story. Nowhere near as entertaining as most, if not all, the other race reports on the forum.)

I lived in Charleston WV after I graduated from college in 1981 until we left for Houston in 1999. I was dating a woman from WV at the end of my college years so rather than move back to Buffalo, I went to WV to find try and find work. One summer evening, I got a visit from a guy who was dating the same girl and he wondered where she was going so often so he followed her. That ended up being the end of our relationship but I eventually met Cindy and things ended up good. And that's how I ended up in WV.

The Charleston Distance Run was big back then so one year I decided to run it. In 1989 I entered, trained, and ran it in 2:13:31. In those days I did not realize people ran all the time so I would pick an event, do some training, and then go run it.

For the last 34 years I thought about doing the race again but never go around to it until today.

I started “training” 15 weeks ago. I took a Higdon half marathon plan and added a couple weeks to it. The schedule got interrupted by family issues, then Canadian wildfire smoke, and lastly by Covid just a few weeks ago.

But here I was at the race anyway.  I got to the race an hour early and sat on some steps next to the Kanawha River. It was a beautiful morning with the sun rising off to my left. I heard a quiet splashing noise and then saw something I have never seen before. Someone was swimming up the Kanawha River. I watched the steady stroke for at least 20 minutes as they went against the current, passed in front of me and eventually went far enough where I could not see them.

In my training I was doing my long runs with a run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute technique. At the starting line today, I was feeling good and I thought to myself, “I bet I could just run this thing from start to finish.”  I was smart enough to know that was a silly idea, so I decided to start with run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute technique and see how it went.  We started in front of the WV State Capitol building. 41 years ago, I was in the Capitol building programming a court docket system for the State Supreme Court. Converting the court off a paper system.

The first 3.75 miles were mostly flat except for going over the Kanawha River on the South Side Bridge. I was doing better than planned.

Mile 1 - 11:26

Mile 2 - 11:23

Mile 3 - 11:12

At that point we started going up Capitol Punishment Hill. There is a sign at the start of the hill. That's how I know its name. It was a mile to the top where you make a left and keep going up some more.

Mile 4 - 12:31

Mile 5 - 15:26 (all walking)

The next couple miles were rolling hills, some worse than others.

Mile 6 - 12:50

Mile 7 - 12:37

Then a steep downhill.

Mile 8 - 10:26

Walking up hills and running down hills took a lot more out of me than expected. We came back across the South Side Bridge and I was staring at 7 more miles in the sun and I was feeling exhausted. The temperature at the beginning was low 60s but it warmed up. I do not know how much but my guess is that it was 75 or more by then.

I could not do the 5/1 technique so I tried 4/2, but I could not manage 4 straight minutes of running. I then tried 3/3 and that worked. I did not know how long it would work but it seemed ok for most the rest of the way. I did not have any real goals, but I did want to do better than a 13-minute pace for the race.

I don't remember much about these miles except that it was hot and sunny.

Mile 9 - 12:22

Mile 10 - 12:45

Mile 11 - 13:27

Mile 12 - 13:05

Mile 13 - 13:07

Mile 14 - 12:46

Mile 15 - 13:45

Garmin Stats:

Distance 15.06

Time 3:09:54

Pace 12:36

Total Ascent 778 feet

I am sorer all over than I have ever been.

Now I can return to my 5ks!

Official Finish Line Photo:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/372005035_730729252397614_7272346073420793226_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=813123&_nc_ohc=x0-JLxoifmMAX--8b2p&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfAp1M27w5_3QTb-mnYQ78QtA4K7TkXJP-H_yRGG3qvdqQ&oe=64F85D3E

Joe618

Excellent write up, Dave and a terrific 15 miler!!    Hills and heat are a tough combo.   Cool to see the history associated with this event for you...even with an awkward conversation with another guy. 

The run/walk method is a huge help.    I use it all the time.    4/1 is a dandy ratio for distance.    FWIW, I've had good luck keeping my walk breaks at one minute and then dialing up or back the run length.

Rest up and let those muscles get un-sore!!  Way to go!!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

TammyinGP

Excellent Dave!!  Thanks for writing up your story. I read every word 
        I think that's a darn fine time for a 15 miler with heat and some hills and I like how you made adjustments to your run/walk ratio to figure out what was working for you.

Nicely done!!  Now you do some walking/stretching tomorrow to work that acid out of your muscles!

Tammy

moebo

I hope you're feeling better today, Dave. Congratulations on finishing at a pace well under your goal!

I actually found that at least as entertaining as most, if not all , the other race reports I've read here.

I read it all and it’s a great report.  Except you forgot the best part- meeting ME!   From my experience, we should be especially proud of finishing the races that go really badly and are death marches.  You finished!   Those last 7 miles were very tough.   Enjoy the 5Ks!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Davle - nice finale to your long distance running history, especially since it was the first one too. Did you run 5K's in 1989 and before, if they even had that many in those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations, Dave!  Yeah… I was concerned about you, after you suffered through COVID just a couple weeks ago.   I’m not surprised you toughed it out , though.  Great report and great finishing picture.

(Someone was swimming up the Kanawha River. I watched the steady stroke for at least 20 minutes as they went against the current, passed in front of me and eventually went far enough where I could not see them.

BTY maybe?

A hugh congratulations, Dave, on toughing out a tough course under tough conditions! Your run/walk strategy was the right way to go but, as you discovered, even that can be hard to maintain when the weather is against you like that. By the way, you are certainly buffer looking in that photo than when I met you up in Charlevoix back in 2015 (was it really that long ago??). 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

I beg to differ with you Dave, but that was a very entertaining and informative RR!

Congrats on a good finish, and on adjusting on the fly as the temps rose and the hills apparently did too. You certainly earned that rest day, and I'm glad you took advantage of it.

It's a little (maybe a lot) weird that the guy dating the same girl showed up on your doorstep. I hope she didn't stick with him after your relationship with her ended.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

That was a good read, Dave!   Very much like this whole forum, it was interesting because it wasn't all about running - it included how you got to WV and the story about your old girlfriend!

Congrats on toughing out a hot run.  I hate those!  I like longer races precisely because you don't have to run the whole thing, and more hills mean you can take more walk breaks!   Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do next!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

I was smart enough to know that was a silly idea, 

Someone is going to have to explain this.

Good on ya for starting, let alone finishing in the hills and heat.

SteveP

Tramps

Congrats, Dave! Especially with all those interruptions in your training and the warm day, you did well.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I was dating a woman from WV at the end of my college years so rather than move back to Buffalo, I went to WV to find try and find work. One summer evening, I got a visit from a guy who was dating the same girl and he wondered where she was going so often so he followed her. That ended up being the end of our relationship 

Wow!  Did she keep seeing that guy?  Glad you found Cindy....  Sounds like a tough race - glad you survived it, in spite of the heat!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Wow!  Did she keep seeing that guy?  Glad you found Cindy....  Sounds like a tough race - glad you survived it, in spite of the heat!

She married him.

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, I say good riddance!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."