Masters Running

Saturday, June 21st Daily (Read 371 times)

Dave59

I finished the run with a sub-8 half mile, feeling very good.
    I think even I could do that! Smile (I'm pretty sure I know what you really meant.) Wink

Dave59

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy running as much as ever but a combination of stuff just makes the long runs tough. But I want to do them and try to get ready for a ten mile run in August and a half marathon in October. Sore back, messed up sleep patterns (because of the back and from having a baby around the house), trying to do a long run that is too far for what my weekly mileage would support, work is a killer, etc. Nothing too terrible (except the back issues) but they all add up to some tough runs when I go any longer than 4-5 miles.

I ran 6 miles on the treadmill in 51 minutes (8:30 m/m) as a progression run. Started out at 6.3 mph and clicked it up 4 or 5 times till I ran mile 5 at 8.0 mph (7:30 m/m). After that I worked out on the weights for 1/2 hour or so, concentrating on legs and the mid section. If I am motivated tomorrow morning, I may run 12 or so which would put me just over 40 for the week. But I may bail on it too. We'll see what happens ... I wanna run long and fast like CNYrunner! Are you really going to run all those 5 of those Fall marathons??? Or is that spread around among you and the J's? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

6.5 miles with the running group and Coach...7:53 pace...nice and steady...now to convince myself I want to run long tomorrow... Nice running SpareRibs...you're getting stronger
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            Way to go Spareribs and welcome back to 40 miles! Breger, the five marathons I mentioned represent the spread for the 4 Js and myself. Sometimes we all run the same one and for various reasons we are all doing different ones this time. I am so grateful to have the Js. We cover the 40-49 age group and our marathon times range from 3:26-3:49. It's all good. The kiddo's team won their game just now so we are still chasing the championship. More baseball tomorrow. Back to weeding.... CNYrunner

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Any pictures of the J's?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Whew! Back from another bike ride down to the river with the kids. That's more of a workout than I had intended for today, but the weather was so lovely I couldn't say no. I realized that maybe it seems harder because I'm pulling the trailer bike with 48-lb DD up these hills....she needs to start pedalling.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good Afternoon everyone. Thanks for the advice Vista Wink I had a nice long run this a.m. I slept far too long (about 9 hrs - which is 2 hrs more than normal for me), so felt very sluggish and slow to get moving this a.m. Figured this would be a tough run for me, but I was too lazy yesterday and skipped my 3 mi lunch hour run, so knew I needed to get out there. The first few miles are always the toughest for me and I often wonder during that first 20 min or so, how I'll ever make it. But per usual, by the time I hit 4 miles, I feel great. I no longer can even hear myself breathe and my mind starts to wander and the running feels almost effortless. I thought of a number of people on my run today. I was wondering how Bob (BTB) is doing and then got me thinking about his little friend Amy. I check out her website periodically, but haven't done it lately. Then I started thinking about Mariposai and her breath of fresh airness that she brings to her posts. And I started thinking about her son in Japan and the relationships he's forming over there. I'm sure he's a wonderful light - just like his mom and dad. And then I started thinking about Tet and trying to remember if he was running in something this weekend or not. and then before I knew it my 1:50:00 min was up and I had finished a 10.5 mile run. I took a couple stretching breaks - lately my low back seems to tighten up, so I need to stretch it out periodically, which slowed my overall pace. But my running pace stayed consistently right around 9:50 min/miles - except for a couple long hills at the end. that slowed me down too. And now I'm home alone - DS went to a friends' house for a few hrs and DH ran some errands. So, I'm enjoying the silence. And when my son comes home, he'll likely tell me he has a headache and enjoy the silence too - his friend has a younger brother and sister (ages 3 and 5) and can be quite rambunctious. My only child is not used to so much commotion, so he always comes back from this particular friends' house, telling me how glad he is that he is an only child and has no younger siblings.

Tammy

8 miles, 4 outside in the muggy heat (about 70F, but I'm a wuss!) and 4 inside on the TM, in the muggy gym. I couldn't run away from the humidity today. Last two miles were at 7.0mph. It is a good thing for the training log here, because I thought I had to run 6 miles tomorrow to hit my target, but actually I only need 5 more. All those bits and pieces of miles recorded on my Garmin must have added up to another mile without my knowing it, bonus! Smile Sorry Mariposai, we are going to the coast. Wenatchee in July though.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Joey for the great start off. Kinda short on time, but wanted to post my run this morning. Plan was for a long run with 3 at MP and 3 at 1/2 M pace. I got up early and went outside and it was already very warm and humid out. I drank 40 ounces of water (not all at once) and headed out for my run. I brought my fuel belt with water and gels with me too, and had a few places I could stop for water too. In short: I had to cut 2 of my 1/2 M pace miles back to M pace, and really suffered at the end of my run...but made it OK. My 1/2 M pace right now is 7:30, with my M pace being 8:00...it was a tough run that wasn't supposed to be. Even though I drank what I thought was PLENTY, I still lost 8 pounds of fluids on this run...what's a person to do when they drink plenty, but it's not even close to being enough? At the end my Hr was super high, which was either heat related, or dehydration. Overall: 15 miles 4 miles at 8:00 pace 2 miles at 7:30 pace. After a two hour nap and hydrating, I feel good again. I want to say congrats to Mr Ribs for his patience, and getting his mileage to 40 miles this week....great job... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Greetings Boomer/Masters! Home from Honolulu this morning early... DS2 went to bed as soon as we got home and slept hard for 5 hours! DS1 stayed up on prowled the computer for awhile, and is now snoring away mid-afternoon. DH came home at 2 (different flights) and is now napping in the back. I bet nobody will be able to sleep tonight! I took a 2-hour nap but couldn't relax longer so was up unpacking and doing laundry. Everything is getting a wash... I'm not looking forward to tonight's race. My legs feel tired and sore from the trip. Long flights do that to me now... seems like it takes me a day or two to recover from all those hours on the plane. I keep telling myself I don't need to push it, I'm way ahead of anyone else in point standings for end of year stuff... and my real goal races are in late July/early August (a 16.5 mile trail race and HM, respectively) and those are the ones I want to PR this year. Then the Equinox in September (I really want that 4:15 this year!!). So, this 10k is not a biggie, but I'm always a little hard on myself to do better than last year. Roll eyes Sounds like some of us are getting the idea of a real recovery run down. Thanks, 'Ribs, but I sure wish I was one of them. I really tried yesterday to tone it down, and my mind starts wandering very much like Tammy's did today and my legs get into mischief. It got up to 84F this afternoon before some thunderstorms blew in with gusty winds and dropped the temp down 10 degrees in a matter of minutes. Always fun to see that happen. It's currently 75F and 40% humidity.... I hope all that high(er) H&H running I did last week helps me feel peppy tonight in these cooler conditions...

Marathon Maniac #3309

Funny Erika, I was wondering how your 10K race went while I was running, then remembered it's not till 10:00 tonight. Good luck....I know you will "go for it" Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

No running for me today as I might race tomorrow or run long tomorrow. Not sure. L was second masters woman and won $500 in the 5K race yesterday, her track team was second so she won another $200. So $700 to race a 5K, I have to find myself some of those races that I can be competitive in. Better drop at least another minute and a half (-: Saw my girls at their recital today. As I sat there I realized my oldest is a young woman at 12. She sang beautifully and made me very proud. My youngest played beautiful piano. I am so blessed. Take care eveyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome home, Erika! We're looking forward to your RR. Nice runs for many of you today. Tall, sounds like Liz did well - congrats to her! Tammy, I've been wondering how Bob is too, and Amy. I got out for a quick 3 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug this evening while the lasagna was in the oven. Tomorrow I have to drive DD to Colorado State University in Ft Collins for a week long summer science camp. She's studying robotics and artificial intelligence. I'll run early before we have to hit the road. The wildflowers are beautiful right now - I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it tomorrow. Good night, sleep tight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

And then I started thinking about Tet and trying to remember if he was running in something this weekend or not.
                                tammy, thanks. my plans for a 10 miler fizzled getting distracted by that annual solstice parade. are you sure you weren't up here? ps - post the hot tub incident here; nobody reads the closed thread.Smile I'll try for 10 tomorrow before tapering to get ready for 50 miles again in July 26 White River vista - I was havin' those kind of dreams/hallucinations sleep-walking in last week's first all-nighter except it was me fallin off the trail into gaping pits, being attacked by giant armadillos, etc. I wonder how poor jim's first 24 hour experiment is goin' in that 100 degrees they're havin' in SoCal? erika - happy solstice where you really notice it up in the super-northland. is tonight's solstice run through those beautiful summer green birch tree trails? Sunrise - 2:59 am AkDT Sunset - 12:48 am AkDT Amount of daylight (hr/min) - 21:49

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)