Masters Running

Monday, May 3rd Runs and fun (Read 570 times)

Good morning each one !!!

Four miles done in a warm run last evening.   The highlight of my run? ....    

A lady had about 10 small children in a group that I would assume was a birthday party.  These were all very small kids probably 4 to 6 years old.  They were sitting in a group on a picturesque bridge that is on the running and biking path that cuts through our city.    She had them all cutely arranged for the video that she was doing.    She had left a small path for a runner to get through  but basically they had filled the width of the bridge.  I was coming up from behind the kids so that they didn't see me coming.  The timing of my arrival was perfect as she was just taking the video exactly at that time.  On the spur of the moment I decided that rather than running through the gap, I would be a part of the video by hurdling over the group.   I picked the smallest of the little girls as my target point and jumped over them.   The mother's eyes said it all as she lowered the camera,  looked at me and started laughing.   The kids were too surprised to understand what had happened and I just kept running.

It was fun but I made sure that I cleared their heads by a good 24 inches just in case one "stood up" at the moment I jumped

A few minutes later after my "turn around" on the path, I met the same group now walking down the trail towards me.  When the kids saw me coming they all started shouting and then immediately sat down across my path.    Each one shouted that they wanted me to jump over them.    So again without changing my pace, I jumped back over them and kept running to shouts of glee and several "thank you's".

I am not sure who got a bigger kick out of the experience.....me or the kids.....

What is life if you can't have fun and let others share in it huh?

Have a great day !!!

Vista

That's just one of the many reasons why we run!

Nicely done, Vista.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Good morning gentlemen. Nice start today, Joey. I'll bet that video ends up on YouTube.  I think you made those kids' day.

IRC here this morning. 52° at 4:45 and for the first time in about a week, no WIND. 5.75 miles, 9:27 pace, then some rope jumping and ab work.

I need some help here, people. Registered yesterday for my first marathon. Spareribs has been such an inspiration to me, and I  want to go to Minneapolis and watch him receive his award. So I decided as long as I'm there, I might ast well run the marathon. I'm scared and I'm not sure I can do this, but I looked at their web site and I have 6 hours to finish before they close the course down.   This is something that's been on my "bucket list" for a long time. I've got a lot of half marathons under my belt, first attempt at a full. Suggestions? Ideas?  Lord, what have I gotten myself into now....

Dave59

4.5 miles for me this morning.  Nice hurdling Vista.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great story Joey!!    I can just invision the whole event.

JLynne - I know that feeling after signing up for the 1st one!!   I recommend the Hal Higdon marathon training - you can look at the different levels and see what would work for you.   I think I did the Intermediate I and it had two 20 milers and nothing over 8 miles mid-week.    I think you just want to concentrate on finishing and enjoying it rather than your time.   You'll do GRETA!!

Nice run Dave.

Rest day for me today.   I did go out for a 4 mile bike ride with DD last night.   This week I have motorcyle class, so next week I can offically start riding my scooter ..... if I pass that is! 

Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Vaulting Vista!

JLynne! Awesome news and Mary's suggestion is a great one. Hal Higdon's plan is super and I believe many here have used that or something similar for their first marathons. You can do it and we'll be right here for you.

3.4 miles at 5:30 this morning in the steamy rain for me---almost 70º, curly haired run for sure! I was a bit stiff but felt okay all considering. Easy running without a watch for me for the next weeks. Good thing since I am on the road for most of the next two weeks.

I was interviewed at the end of yesterday's race----final 30 seconds of the attached  video clip. You can even see me stumble in the chute. The volunteer who is interviewed at the start of this clip talks about how the course is mostly flat for the first  23 miles---WTH??? hello? Maybe go see it dude...we start and finish on a Mountain for Pete's sake! Oy...

anyway.....http://videos.masslive.com/republican/2010/05/holyoke_marathon.html

lamerunner

Good  morning!  Great race yesterday karin, so soon after Boston!  Tough to deal with the heat, especially so soon after snow!

Yesterday  I ran about 12 miles on the Massabesic rali trail, ash and stones. Humid but not yet too hot. Did not make it out today, at least not yet, and it may be swimming. I feel reasonably recovered now from Boston but I am trying to be cautious.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Awesome video Karin!   You look great -as usual!!

Nice 12 miler lamerunner.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Vista, what fun!

Jlynne, a BIG Woohoo!  Ask lots of questions and we'll help you do this!

CNY, very nice run on a tough course and only 12 days after Boston ?!?!  You are amazing.  You do look a bit shaky there in the chute.  That's how I always look!

3.5 slow, easy miles at 10:05 pace this morning.  75° at 6 AM.  The H&H acclimation begins.  I needed a recovery run today from yesterday's sweatfest.  I went to MapMyRun.com and charted the run I did yesterday on the very hilly UF campus.  Turns out I ran 15.25 miles at exactly 9 minute mile pace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

That is just a lovely thought to start the week with – thank you, Joey.

Jlynne – deep breaths, deep breaths...

WRFB – Happy Belated Birthday!

Sarge – nice racing yesterday for you and your DW, even if you didn’t quite make your goals.

Great job to Divechief, Francesca and Tet at the Tacoma Marathon yesterday!

Rest day for me today.  Both mental and physical, I guess.  I puttered around the house doing chores this morning instead.  I might do some weights tonight.  Maybe not.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Good Morning !

Trent....I checked out the pics on your Facebook page.....That looks terrible. I hope everyone is alright. Keep a positive light shining for your family!

Jlynne.....That's awesome news. This bunch has a way of rubbing off on a person. You'll do great.

CNY....I can't wait to see the video but that'll have to wiat until I get home. Very nice marathon.....A huge CONGRATS !

My digestive system is shot this morning. We went to a cookout at the in-laws last night.....I rarely eat fried food and last night I over did it on Onion Rings and fried cauliflower.....plus brauts, beer and super rich deserts...Blah. No workout of any type for this morning.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks.  I just got back from a very emotionally tough run run, trying to clear my head.  Headed home, I hope, later today.  Then to clean up.  What a mess.

Marathon Maniac #957

Trent - what happened?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Good morning gentlemen. Nice start today, Joey. I'll bet that video ends up on YouTube.  I think you made those kids' day.

IRC here this morning. 52° at 4:45 and for the first time in about a week, no WIND. 5.75 miles, 9:27 pace, then some rope jumping and ab work.

I need some help here, people. Registered yesterday for my first marathon. Spareribs has been such an inspiration to me, and I  want to go to Minneapolis and watch him receive his award. So I decided as long as I'm there, I might ast well run the marathon. I'm scared and I'm not sure I can do this, but I looked at their web site and I have 6 hours to finish before they close the course down.   This is something that's been on my "bucket list" for a long time. I've got a lot of half marathons under my belt, first attempt at a full. Suggestions? Ideas?  Lord, what have I gotten myself into now....

Big grinBig grinBig grin

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh, man, Trent, I just saw your photos in the "Off the  beaten path" forum, and I'm so sorry about your poor house!  Anything we can do to help? 

You have cured me from feeling sorry about the winter weather at my house.  Snow is no big deal (well, it can be, but we only got 3" yesterday so I have nothing to complain about.)  Good luck to you and your family and your neighbors.

Karin, wow, a huge congrats on 1st place yesterday!  You looked so fresh in that interview - had you just stopped running, or was that after you'd had something to eat and drink? 

Congrats also to Sarge and his DW for their half marathon yesterday, even if it wasn't a PR.  Also to WRFB and PDR for their half.  And to SteveP, Tag, and Mary for their 8K race.

Jeanne, congrats for signing up for that marathon!  I'd like to do one someday, too, and it would be fun to see Ribs  honored as a medtronic hero.  I don't think I want to do a big crowded race as my first one, but  I'm sure there'll be a cool RA party there.  Good luck!

Joey, I'd love to see that video. 

No run yesterday - I wussed out.  I'm planning on a RAL.  It's supposed to hit 60° at work today, and the sun is shining.  I looked like an idiot yet again coming in to work in Sorels and a parka.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.