Masters Running

Saturday 1/19/19 Wintry Runs (Read 40 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Looks like today's 5-8 inches of snow will just be rain, turning to wintry mix in the late afternoon, then 7 inches of snow tonight as the arctic temps show up, along with 20-30 mph winds.  Joy.

While I had hoped to avoid the store today, looks like I will be taking DD to the Little Clinic when she drags herself out of bed.  She has a really bad cough and the cough meds are not doing much for it.

3.5 recovery-paced miles on the TM for me.

Only 6 more weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, so after driving about 45 miles to Elkmont there was a distinct lack of activity.  Checked It's Your Race and the organizers had postponed the race yesterday (I hadn't signed up so wasn't notified...but it would have made sense for me to check before driving over) until June 1.  I've never been one, but am very sympathetic to what RD's have to go through.  Tough call.  Forecast was for rain (and possibly thunderstorms) along with winds.  Plus temps will be dropping from the low to mid 60s to the 20s this afternoon/evening.  Once I was there I almost ran part of the course anyway but instead drove home.  Will get something later that also gives me my "flights of stairs" count.

Henrun

Another beautiful morning before snowmegadon comes ( they’ve downgraded it to 4 inches here followed by a freezing rain). Great morning for the Boston runners. I ran 2.2 miles.

Have a good weekend all.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Holly. I hope your DD gets better quickly.

Bummer about the postponed race, Falconfixer. Most often, a race canceled because of weather is not rescheduled because of the challenges of getting all the people/suppliers lined up again.

Interesting discussion about lights yesterday. Thanks for the light insights, SurlyBill. I do wear a headlamp when I head out but, like Joe, I wear it more to be seen than to see. Especially when there is some moon light, I'd just as soon go lightless and see by the natural light.

I went 10.4 RW miles at 4:24 this morning in 26° temps with a breeze from the NW. My first 3 miles were on the slow side, but then I picked it up a bit and had a good rest of the workout. My pace ranged from 12:20 to 11:14. We're supposed to get 6-10" of snow overnight, with another 3-5" of snow/sleet/ice tomorrow, so my workout tomorrow may be limited to snow-clearing cross-training.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Masters!!

Holly - hope your DD feels better. I have found some homeopathic type treatments help with a cough but if she has bronchitis she may also need an inhaler or even a steroid. For home treatments I like all of these: rub Vicks or any menthol type rub on the soles of your feet and cover with warm socks, tea made with boiled lemon water with cayenne peper/honey/cinnamon, or just tea with honey and lemon, I love the cold care and throat care teas, also oil of oregano diluted in water. To boost the immune system I like elderberry and zinc. Hope this helps a little.

10.2 total for me today - 3.8 pre-Fudgcicle, 3.13 Fudgcicle, 3.3 post-Fudgcicle - with various friends along the way then a delicious breakfast with 3 of them after!! Love these kind of Saturday mornings!!

Hope all the weather forecasters are wrong and we get the very lowest amount of snow predicted!! I have to work 12 hours shifts the next 3 days in a row and not looking forward to the drives to Boston in bad weather and I really want to be home to watch the Pats game with dh tomorrow night!!

denise

spacityrunner

The cold front came through while I was out running this morning. Driving rain, wind, sleet, hail and thunder...all within an hour. It was epic. Then the temps dropped 20 degrees (55 to 35f) after I was soaked. Mother Nature was not nice to me today...but the run was fun!!!

Trails Rock!

Quickadder, the marathon expos around here in cold weather sell things like throwaway jackets and gloves. I used to always save an old jacket of some sort for that purpose. And I remember toward the end of a Detroit Marathon one November, as I was into the last miles, there was a local person pushing a grocery card down the sidewalk that was heaped with items thrown away by the runners!

Denise, I thought of you when they ran a story here about the pediatrics (or maybe obstetrics) department of one of our large hospitals where they have 12 nurses who are all pregnant and due within the next two months or so!

Montana, you're the only one I've seen who could wax so poetically about a new treadmill . But I do hope you enjoy it and really would like to see a picture. Our old unit is getting pretty beat up and it might be easy to talk my DW into a new one that might be easier for me to run on.

So far our big snow event hasn't materialized: we've had maybe 1-2" at most and just flurries right now. 

My bike trainer goal today was time instead of distance and I made my one-hour goal with about 13.7 miles on the Garmin (which -- tada -- is a 13.7mph average).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Interesting points regarding lights yesterday. I was usually a no-light runner (for all the reasons cited and I didn't need to worry about traffic) but I make sure my bike is highly visible with bright blinky lights front and back; totally different ballgame.

Holly--hope DD feels better and doesn't share what she's got with the rest of you.

Falcon--Jan 19 to June 1 is a helluva postponement!

Jay--since I've been "brisk-walking" I have a greater appreciation for how fast you RW!

Deez--Vicks on the soles of your feet? That's a new--and counterintuitive--one to me.  (Go Pats!)

Spa--that sounds epic!

Two days ago there was still 6 inches of sloppy snow on parts of my trail route (and mud elsewhere), so I opted for hiking boots again today for my 10K walk. Much to my surprise, the mild temps and rain have cleared the trails of all the snow. I could have easily worn much more comfortable running shoes.

Dark, gray, but mild 38F this morning and the incoming storm today/tomorrow should be all rain for us.  Good luck to those of you getting walloped.

P.S. I'm not panicking about the Caps' death spiral. Yet. Last night's 0-2 loss to the team headed by our former coach (Islanders), though, certainly has a lot of folks wondering if letting him go wasn't a big mistake.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Re: lights - as someone who recently acquired a nasty bone bruise in my knee from tripping over a buckled part off the sidewalk, I find I am paranoid about tripping while running in the dark, so I carry a small (but bright) flashlight to shine on the road in the darkest patches.

Deez - I did try the Vicks on the feet treatment, but I can't get DD to drink tea.  She has now decided she feels a bit better, and no longer wants to go to the doctor....

Quickadder - I always have a thrift store throwaway jacket or sweatshirt for non-summer races - I hate to be cold.  Generally I will keep it until the first aid station and drop it there, when I am fully warmed up, although in one race it stayed cold for so long that I kept the throwaway jacket until mile 18.

I just drove to the Y to swim, only to find a swim meet in progress and the pool closed.  I should have guessed by the almost-completely-full parking lot.  Now, if only I can get the motivation to drive back at 2:30....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I use a headlamp whenever I run in the dark.  My night vision is not good and I fall easily, as we know!   I have a pretty good headlamp, but I still try to run in the light if at all possible.

5 treadmill miles catching up on some TV that I missed this week.  It was boring but I got it done.  Pretty tired from the travel day yesterday.  It's raining and nasty outside, but no snow.  We might get some tomorrow or so (barely).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I run with the brightest headlamp I can get. I Cannot fathom how you can run at night without a lamp. There are tons of things to trip on out there. Plus I wear the full set of Reach the Beach Relay regalia, blinking lights front and back plus relative gear. Around my town I have been run off the road in broad daylight.

This morning I got up. Went out to look for monkeys, walking about 3 miles on my quest. Then I did a set of rehab intevals. After that it was packing and a trip to the airport. I may have to kill myself when the cold air hits me on our return. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I got in 5.something after having coffee with friends but before the day long rain started.

I have a couple headlamps but I've been looking at brighter ones tho try. I don't believe anyone's vision in the dark is good enough to see sticks and rocks that can trip you or twist an ankle. Not even in my younger days would I run without light.

A friend in Michigan had a vest with so many lights on it a whole group could run with him and not need their own light. If I ran more inn the dark than I do I'd get one of those vests myself. You could see him from a mile away. (And once in a nighttime half marathon I experienced that first-hand. It was an out and back and I could see him on his way back from a long way off.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Predicted weekend rains staved off long enough to see the full moon before the clouds started coming in probably to obliterate tomorrows’ lunar eclipse too.  Maybe someone else somewhere else’ll have better luck but it doesn’t sound like it.

3-miles w/800 stairs + 50 minutes spinning.

After a two-or-three-month absence, did a 50-minute spinning class on the new stationary bikes over at 24HourFitness but not before stopping on the way over for one-and-a-half miles on the hillside trails up-and-down 400 stairs, . . . and doing the same on the way back.

ps falcon – thanks for the 45 mile laugh.

My PR for missed races is only 15 miles.

pps falcon – what’s that flight of stairs challenge?

ppps - deezie – even though I don’t have a cold,

I may try the feet part of your home remedies for colds anyway.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

anneb

Hello masters!

We did wake up to about 6” of snow, and temps dropping through the 20’s along with winds over 25mph. I ran 6 on the treadmill while the H did snow removal. It seemed to go by so slowly! I have run long on the mill in the past but honestly can’t fathom it now. Lucky, I don’t need to run long right now 😄 We have a neighborhood association that plows (takes forever to get the City over to our side streets), but I think with the cold temps I’m going to be spending a lot of time on the treadmill.

I always use a headlamp for my AM dark runs! It’s mostly for me (tripping) but also so cars can see me.

Anne

SteveP

I did it again. I wrote out a recap and forgot to post it. Every word was brilliant. I promise.

I went to Houghton Lake for their Tip-Up celebration. I left nearly J O’c So I could get some trail running in some old stomping grounds. 4.36 miles.

SteveP