Masters Running

Race Reports for the 3/2&3 weekend (Read 15 times)

Mariposai

Wishing a lot of fun and great results to our weekend racers. According to the Intrepid Racers thread we have Opie doing a half marathon. Any other master racing this weekend?

03/02 Opie - Sierra Vista Trail Half Marathon, Las Cruces, NM

Go racers go!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Very challenging trail with friends & a good time was had by all!  Fell a couple of times.  Good lesson on form: pick up your feet.  This terrain is unforgiving!  Pictures of scraped up hand on FB.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job, Opie.

Glad you're venturing out.
        Makes we wish I were a Facebooker, after all.

Joan Benoit Samuelson - in case you’re ready for another venture up to the PNW, there’s rumors that Olympia’s Marathon Park where Joan Benoit Samuelson won the first Women’s Olympic Marathon trials in 1984 (and we ran by in the 2006 Capital City Marathon too) may be re-named “Joan Benoit Samuelson Marathon Park” and she might come out again for the dedication on May 19 this year.  Maybe your Olympia sources might have an update.  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Picture Perfect Seattle Hot Chocolate 5K (3/3/2019)
          sunny/clear (30oF) 3.1 miles / 36:42 - 11:49m;m
          O/A -  1,830/5,824
          Men -  679/1,417
          AG - 4/17
          Although the Seattle Hot Chocolate 15K in 2014 (i think) offered a rare chance to get together with beloved Enkie and with Divechief from Boomers-and-Beyond days, the several thousand runners were way too many for the confined start/finish at the Seattle Center so I don’t think they’ve done any since then, either.    

However, instead of the run-of-the-mill, ordinary pull-over we got in 2014, this year’s swagger wear was a lightweight, full zipper, hooded sweatshirt with zipper pockets and extended sleeves with thumb slits so nifty that I early registered for the sole purpose of getting matching sweatshirts for DW and me.  Since they were available for pick them up at the Expo on Friday or Saturday, I didn’t even need to run and did not intend to do so..

However, Father Time’s changed a lot in the intervening years and, with a 6:45 am start, I wouldn’t be wasting an entire morning for the 5K of exercise as is usually the case.  In fact, it’d entail even more exercise as, with the car still in the shop over the weekend awaiting a part, I’d need to cycle the 7-mile RT to-and-from the Seattle Center same I used to do for even greater distances as enforced cross-training I wouldn’t otherwise take time to do in IM days.
          Therefore, I didn’t mind a bit having to slalom in-and-out of the the 5,823 other runners (1,416men/4,407women) or even the need to put on the brakes and hold up progress when trying to pass so many who were walking with friends, pushing strollers, piggy-backing kids, holding hands with little kids and friends/partners, etc.  See bustling event photo below taken a little past mile one.

Besides, DW not only liked our matching sweat shirts but she didn’t seem to mind any of the excessive chocolate hand-outs I brought back from the finish line, either.
          ps - not that I minded one bit but has anyone else ever run in a regular fun run with as many 75% of the finishers from the fairer gender. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet, my Olympia source has been here in southern NM & I got to see her.  Now she's living in AZ.  I won't be in Seattle/Olympia in May but I'm planning on a running a little race out in the sticks, the B&O Half Marathon, Buckley, WA to Orting in July.  Looks like a nice area in the foothills, just under an hour drive from our daughter's place in Burien.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

neat update.

No wonder we miss her around here.

Have fun.