Masters Running

40s On the Run - Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste (Wk of 04/06/08) (Read 499 times)

flatland mountaineer

oops I double posted my previous entry, don't ask me how????? Blush Anyway will use this one to log todays slow easy 3.1 in damp and dreary conditions, winter storm watch tonite.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

r2farm...Wow, 88! Country folks seem to out live city folks. Less stress maybe? Although farming can be stressful too I'm sure. It's your way of life! Nice LR you had the other day! Have a great day all......Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Farmer Jim - You're dad sounds like a great guy. 88 and walks a mile every day. Maybe he can talk to my dad. Joe - Hmmm - Thanks for answering re the photo, but when I pull it up I still see me and hub standing behind the bar but with the captioning for the trail run. Is this a mental thing? Holy cow - I think I'm losing it . . . Dead 4:30 this morning there's this loud crash in the kitchen. I'm PO'd, even though I'm suppose to be up anyway. A teacup that sits in my kitchen window has been upended into a bowl in the sink. Fish it and the needles (I give my cat fluids) outta the sink. Suddenly, one of my "kittens" freaks out, hits the wood floor, and crashes into the slider. I look to see what's freaked him out, and two of my adult cats are hunched over a bird on the otherside of the kitchen island. How'd the bird get in the house? I had gotten up a little bit before and cracked the slider so they could go in and out, but what in the world is a bird doing awake at dark a.m.?!?!? I picked him up and put him on a table outside. At some point, he must've tried to fly away but didn't make it. Zig was having a second breakfast when we got up this morning. Roll eyes In between all this I get all dressed for my run and can't find my Garmin anywhere. And since I was suppose to do 5 miles w/hill repeats, I need that sucker to keep track of how many miles I've gone. If it was just a straight run, I could've guesstimated it. But, since I couldn't find it, figured it was as good an excuse as any to crawl back into bed and doze for the next 1 1/2 hours. Boy, did that feel good! I'll make up for the lack of hill work at PT tonight. I did find my Garmin right before I left for work. What it was doing there,I'm sure I don't know. Wink

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie.....A bird in the house, the missing garmin, hmmmmm.....are you SURE you still the Prague pic? Something odd is going on around your neck of the woods! Maybe it was Col. Mustard in the dining room with the knife or maybe it was Scarlet in the kitchen with the rope! Too funny........Jewels
            Leslie....Something odd is going on around your neck of the woods! Jewels
            I know!! Confused Confused

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good morning, ladies and gents ~ 3 easy miles jog/run with a 10:51 average pace and best pace of 9:31, plus 30 minutes upper body strength and core training. 1.5 hours of PT last night. The PT is definitely getting easier. It's amazing how things can change in just two short weeks. I was given 2 more exercises on the BOSU, which entail jumping on and off the thing: Jumping onto it forwards then back off, trying to land lightly, 20 times. Then go to the side and jump onto it from the side and then off the opposite side, then back over, 20 sets. Of course, as usually, he gives me the new ones at the end when I'm pooped, but I did much better than I thought I would. My balance has greatly improved. I think the next exercise is going to be to stand on the BOSU and jump straight up while rotating in the air and landing back on the BOSU. Confused That may actually be the exercise that causes a fatal injury. We will be sure to be far away from any sharp or hard objects. I think that's an exercise that would best be done on the grass. Smile I tell ya, if I could afford it, I'd keep working with this guy for a long time. He's really good. Hope everyone's week is going well. Take care!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It's awfully quiet in here . . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I don't talk much on this string, but as of yesterday this will be my last year participate 49 and all. Got good new last week cholesterol was down to 160 hdl of 75 yes!!! I did run my 10th marathon Sunday, I finished that's about all I did. Have got almost 9 miles for the week so far and plan to run later depending on weather. Just thought I say hello Marathon Derrick
                    Hello Marathon Derrick.....gettin' close to the ole 50th! Congrats on your last marathon and the 9 previous ones. That's terrific! It is quiet as Leslie said. Wow, your getting quite a workout on the BOSU. I wasn't quite sure what it was so I googled it. Looks like a great leg and torturous workout. You WILL have strong legs after a few weeks with that thing. Went to a concert last night. Me, hub, daughter, lil sis/her husband and my older sis. Left home at 4:30 to head down to Pt. St. Lucie, about an hrs. drive to the Mojo room. 3 hard rock bands. I couldn't have been any happier. Got the VIP passes for back stage. Hung out with LJ before and after the show. Security surrounding him after the show as all the fans are wanting hugs, pictures, signings. Got home at 2:45 this morning and was up at 6:30 to go to work. I'm sooooooo tired. The DRESS came in and we went up there this afternoon to try it on. Fits her beautifully and she loves it so.... Jewels
                      Welcome, MD. Even if you are leavin' the 40s soon, we'd love to have you keep hangin' around. Jewels - You will sleep very well tonight! Sleepy I'm glad the dress worked out. You still should contact the Better Business Bureau on that chick. Serves her right! The more I work out on the BOSU, the more I like it. I've actually been sitting here at work today thinking, "Hmmm . . . think I'll go home and do my PT again tonight." If anyone decides to give one a try, be sure to stay away from the Sport model. Although it's less expensive, it's smaller and you are somewhat restricted with what you can do. And just because it's driving me absolutely nuts - what color shirt am I wearing in the photo of my profile???? It's not that I don't believe you guys that the picture changed, but . . . . . . . .

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sky blue MD - welcome aboard, congrats on your recent marathon and especially the cholesterol! Jewels - doncha just KNOW we're all eagerly awaiting the next installment of The Dress Saga Easy week for me, but it's making me kind of antsy. Maybe I'll do some core work tonight to blow off some steam. Next week I'll start my push to 40 mpw, a new milestone! Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - sky blue
                          Okay, I believe you now. But still - interesting, veeeeery interesting.
                          Easy week for me, but it's making me kind of antsy. Maybe I'll do some core work tonight to blow off some steam. Next week I'll start my push to 40 mpw, a new milestone! Arla
                          40 mpw - you go, girl!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Winter storm here 6- 8 inches of snow and blowing snow with rain preceding, we are definitely out of the field until at least next week. The race in CO is doable if we choose to, thinking about trying to make a fun weekend because its going to be our last chance before the planting campaign. Leslie .......blue???? its showing up orange on my screen Evil grin just teasing its red uh I mean blue!! glad the pt is working out, did you have to get a dr's scrip to get to see him? Jewels thank goodness the dress worked! sounds like a good concert!! MD congrats on finishing another marathon Smile stop in here anytime!! Arla good luck on the ramp up in mileage, 40 mpw is a great accomplishment, I will be tickled when I can hit 20 but it finally seems possible. Joe way to run smart and just do the one loop, hang in there that knee will be up to snuff in no time. You'll have to bring Buddy out here and run some pasture trails, you wouldn't even need a "doggie bag". Joe I loved the keep right avatar. Our county road dept in an effort to keep farmers from farming the county rite of way in the ditches had a bunch of signs printed up "County Right Away Keep off" I guess they meant right now!! Cindy I assume you are getting this snow on the front range?? Carol I am the fourth generation on the orignial place, about the only way these days to farm is to be born in it or marry it. I got out of college with an ag degree in 1981 and wanted to see if I could make it in pro-rodeo but that was smack dab in the middle of the "farm crisis" so couldn't do too much more than be a weekend warrier. Probably just as well as I doubt I had the size and athletic ability to compete in the bigs. I entered one pro rodeo as a local and won a second so it would have been fun to try. As a good rancher friend of mine said, "those that never let their farms and ranches interfere with their rodeoing didn't have that problem for long!" (they lost them). A funny story, the roper in the story is a friend of mine, the town is a small city of about 28,000. http://www.northplattebulletin.com/index.asp?show=news&action=readStory&storyID=14294&pageID=3

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey Farm - that's Really funny!! It's amazing to us "big city" folks that this stuff goes on! Hey but A'int that America! And thanks for the invite,those trails sure do sound nice!That's very interesting about your farming history. Jewels-Way to Rock! Good way to keep young!Great that the dress saga worked out for your DD. Arla- Nice mileage goal for you.I'll be trying to keep up,that is if my parts hold up. Leslie- I was eyeballing a BOSU in the bigmegaboxsparwlmart store the other day.Hmmmm... MDerrick- Good to have ya dude! That's some track record you have there.Don't let it get around,but I'm 48.5 and soon looking at that decade change myself.I don't think that they card anyone here,so we should be ok! Some interval speedwork out at the school track has this old fart feeling pretty quick! C ya's later ~

Great story, Farmer Jim. The writer did a really good job of making you feel like you were there. Re the physical therapy - yes, I asked my doctor to refer me. We had already discussed it when I first went to her about my knee hurting. I then remembered that I'd worked with Galen when I tore up my ankle, and I asked her to refer me back to him. I'm going to be changing my insurance at the end of the month, which is going to make my coverage suck but more affordable, and which also means I'll have to pay 100% of any PT I continue. Otherwise, I'd try to keep going to him for as long as possible. He'd be a really great conditioning coach. Joe - I think this BOSU is going to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. You think you have really great balance - until you try to do exercises on the thing. Just standing on one foot for a minute, you realize how unstable your lower half really is. If you end up getting one, I'll pass on my PT exercises to you. Just remember - they've been given to me keeping in mind that my main goal is trail running. Well, I need to get to bed. 1 1/2 hour run tomorrow before work, so it'll be a very early morning, although I've been OK'd to go into work around 9:00 on Fridays for awhile. 'Nite all!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance