Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.23.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.6 miles in Dallas)
    Opus77 (4 miles at 8:50 pace to work off ice cream + dog walking)
    Stumpy (3.8 round-the-lake miles in gorgeous Fall weather)
    Henrun (4.3 miles along Boston’s Charles River)
    Fatozzig (2.5 morning running/walking miles in 33 min)
    Mike (6 miles)
    Holly (10.8 miles in DD’s lacrosse game breaks)
    Spacityrunner (3 recovery miles ‘round the neighborhood in 60° temps)
    Tramps (57 biking miles near VA’s Blue Ridge mountains in perfect weather)
    Catwhoorg (7+ EZ, pre-taper miles)
    Surly Bill (10.5 hard miles with hillage)
    Quickadder (5.3 sunset miles in the neighborhood)
    Falconfixer (5 EZ early miles before a day at the base)
    Evanflein (10.4 mostly EZ miles in falling snow to sunshine)
    Metalmancpa (7.2 tempo miles at 8:08 pace)
    Mariposai (14 confidence-building miles)

Opus77 - isn’t ice cream one of the key food groups?

Evanflein, it was PBJ who was looking forward to eating at The Pig before MCM, not running it. Your out-and-backs on Saturday made me almost as dizzy as my cul-de-sac tour that same day.

Don’t Henrun and Marj have the life??

Good observance of rule #1, Quickadder.

Fatozzig, I really like my Garmin 220. Even though yours is 3 years old, I’d complain to Garmin; what have you got to lose?

Last time we were in the Blue Ridge Mtns, Tramps, we were completely fogged in and could barely see the road, and forget about any scenery. I'm glad you had better weather for your ride.

Nice hill run, Surly Bill. I used to have relatives not too far from you, in San Anselmo.

Welcome back to the church of the long run, Mariposai.

The fall foliage is gorgeous in our neck of the woods also, which is strange because we usually hit peak color around Columbus Day, and it is is usually in serious fade mode by now.

I had a dream last night that I was RD of a race, but couldn't remember the name of it when making announcements at the start. We had registered hundreds, but only a few dozen showed up to race. And I didn't know it, but someone had moved the finish line a few blocks away from where it was supposed to be. Yikes! Do you think the dream had anything to do with the fact that I really am the RD of a 5K this Saturday?

I usually take Mondays as my SRD (Scheduled Rest Day), and did so this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Jay--RD anxiety dreams!  Funny....well not for you.

Falcon—congrats on that race.

Liz—sounds like you had a great time!  Glad to hear it.

Mike—nice job on the last long run. Now you can start monitoring weather forecasts.

Mari—this was actually several hours away from where we live.  And, wow!, I didn’t realize you’d done 40+ marathons in that short of a time.  That’s impressive. It was time for a break.

Rest day + catch up on work.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Jay, Tramps and all to follow. Looks like it was a busy racing weekend for a lot of folks. Congrats to the AG winners and everyone for getting out there.

It's funny how you have dreams like that before a big event, right Jay? I always have the one where you can't find your running shoes, bib, can't find the starting line, etc. Knowing you, that race will go off without a hitch!

Your weekend ride(s) sounded beautiful Tramps. How's the running coming along?

Foggy and 42° here at 5:00 this morning. 6 miles and some change with lots of blinky lights to keep oncoming cars away, then 15 minutes of weights. The weather is supposed to clear later this morning. No work today so I may take advantage of the warmer temps and walk 18 holes of golf. DH is still on the disabled list after his total knee replacement, but that doesn't mean I can't play, right?

I'm taking a pre-Halloween survey this morning. Knowing that y'all are runners and probably don't eat the stuff, but what is your "preferred" trick or treat candy?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm taking a pre-Halloween survey this morning. Knowing that y'all are runners and probably don't eat the stuff, but what is your "preferred" trick or treat candy?

Nope, never, ever.  but the best candy bar in the world is 100 Grand.  But also partial to chewy stuff--Twizzlers, dots, etc.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rees’s PB Cups are my favorite.  Also Snickers.

Good morning all.  I do love the bright blue sky in Texas-  the traffic, not so much.  I relocate today to a hotel that is captive in the DFW airport with no options for outside running, so tomorrow morning will have to be treadmill.  I’m ready to go home.

Good running and racing this weekend, all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Sorry,Jlynne-I’m not much of a candy lover, but love anything lemony and the wonderful pistachio cookies that Marj brings home from Boston’s. North End (Italian).

My back has been acting up the last few days and I slept with a heat pad all night. Felt better this morning and race walked the 2.7 reservoir loop. It didn’t jar my back fortunately.

mrrun

DIL just brought back some chocolates filled with cognac from France, but I'm not sharing!  As we get very few kids in condo, I tend to give out quarters and then don't get stuck with Reese's PB which I love

Ran 5 along Charles with fog burning off.

happy trails!

marj

mta: jay our fun life includes 2 doctor appts tomorrow!

TammyinGP

Liz - so proud of you and your trail HM this weekend. I admit I was wondering how you'd fare with that one since you weren't really feeling all that great after our 8ish mile run on West Mtn that day so am real pleased you ran a consistent trail run AND had it in you to get out the next day for another run!  nice work!

I ran a local 10K on Saturday. nothing spectacular. 1:00:30. a fun race but only good enough for 4/6 AG. While I was hoping for at least 3rd, when I saw complete times, I posted, a 3rd AG was too far out of reach. Top 3 in my AG were between 47 and 55 min. My PR is on this course though at 52:05, but that was long ago - like 6 or 7 yrs maybe.  But what I was happy about is that with about 3/4 mile to go, I was slowly gaining on a couple in front of me. I decided to see if I could pass them and I did with about 300 meters to go. then in the final 100 m I heard them right behind me. I think they were trying to sneak up on me and pass me in the chute. Well, I gave it everything I had to not let them pass me.

I finished in 1:00:30.702 and she finished in 1:00:31.233. And I later found out she was in my AG at age 51. Whew! 

Went out for 2.4 miles on Sunday in the misty rain. It was cool out, low 50's, but humidity was in the 90's . 

This is looking like our last week of perfect fall weather - most of the week should be sunny, mid 70's. Will try to run as much as I can to take advantage of not having to layer up for runs. Districts for XC is tomorrow and then the season is over already!

Tammy

No workouts today.  Figured I need to maintain my new mantra of "Don't Be Stupid!!' - exclamation points and all.

Candy - Snickers, Snickers, and then Snickers again.  But the original Snickers, not these new and unimproved renditions they keep coming out with.  Oh - and refrigerated, too.

Halloween - It's the one time of the year I can absolutely get The Hub to go to the movies with  me.  We live on a very quiet road that rarely gets trick or treaters, but guaranteed someone would show up if we stayed home and didn't have any candy on hand.  Our church does a big Halloween carnival every year at the local fair grounds that draws in 2,000+ people each year. There are two buildings set up with games, free popcorn and hotdogs, crafts, etc., with one building for 5 yo and under.  We volunteered one year at the bean bag toss.  It was the first year after The Hub became the new and improved Hub and he was willing to do anything to stay in good graces.  Let's just say that part of "staying in good graces" has not happened since. A thousand+ screaming kids when you don't have kids, are never around kids, and aren't used to them doesn't make for a fun evening. 

Okay - Back to work ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

It's a very rainy day here today, but I got in 4 miles before it started.

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups more than anything else in this world. Once or twice a year I will get an email from Hershey where they are running a special to ship them straight from the factory and I have done that a few times.  If it is summer, you can get them cold-shipped which I have also done.

When it comes to trick or treaters I usually get a variety and then let them pick. The Peanut Butter Snickers always went the fastest of any thing else.

We now live where trick or treaters aren't allowed, so not much candy around here anymore in October.

Nuts in candy? Ugh! I can't imagine anything worse except for maybe raisins in cookies.

evanflein

I love raisin oatmeal cookies!!! And nuts in candy, absolutely. I'm with Leslie on the Snickers vote. Best. Candybar. Ever! Oh, and Almond M&Ms are amazing, too. We don't get trick or treaters much, maybe have had 5 in the 25 years we've been in our house, and they were all family.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

What kind of party poopers built a place where there's not trick or treat?   Does the fact that i take halloween off every year to decorate give you any idea of how much we like it?  We live in a three street dead end neighborhood with a few other dedicated decorators and usually get 50+ kids every year.  One year when our kids were still TOTing, we had to have them go through their bags and give us what they didn't like, so we'd have enough to give out for the rest of the night

One year when our kids were still TOTing, we had to have them go through their bags and give us what they didn't like, so we'd have enough to give out for the rest of the night

Or at least that's the excuse you gave at the time . . . .

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

50 ToTers ?

Only ?

Big neighborhood with lots of young families, we get a couple of hundred at least, before the porch lights go off and the kids get put to bed. On the Neighborhood facebook group, it was described to a couple of people who had moved in as ToT like it was lifted from a lifetime made for TV movie.Just a solid mass of kids roaming in costume.

The teens miss out on our treats as they are too cool to be out that early...

Favorite candy, would be dark chocolate, preferable a dark chocolate fruit and nut. Which funnily enough never seems to surface in peoples consciousness.

This year, the plan is DD to dress up as Owlette (from PJ Masks  on Disney Jr). DS gets to be Batman.

If I have time I will dress up the stroller as a bit batmobile(ish).

DW is going as Catwoman, and as for myself, well what young Master Wayne would be complete with out an Alfred to guide him round ?

(So dressed in a dinner suit carrying baby boy as Batman)

Running wise Silly heavy rain at lunchtime, and then working late makes for a rest day.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

This year, the plan is DD to dress up as Owlette (from PJ Masks  on Disney Jr). DS gets to be Batman.

If I have time I will dress up the stroller as a bit batmobile(ish).

DW is going as Catwoman, and as for myself, well what young Master Wayne would be complete with out an Alfred to guide him round ?

(So dressed in a dinner suit carrying baby boy as Batman)

Running wise Silly heavy rain at lunchtime, and then working late makes for a rest day.

If there's a picture of that, it might be enough to drag SteveP back out of lurkdom!