Masters Running

Tuesday May 13 Daily (Read 555 times)

Look at that all I had to do was catch a 10 hour plane flight to Israel and now I get to start the daily for the first time ever since joining CR and now RA! Big grin Today was a 6.26 mile recovery run. Well sort of. It is so nice here, warm and dry that after getting started I decided to pick up the pace a bit so it was a bit of a fast "recovery" run. Felt soooo good though. I still hope to catch up with yesterday's thread later on today. A pipe dream I suspect given my schedule today but we will see. Oh yes, for all those thinking wow that must be great to be able to travel overseas on business let me tell you just how exciting it has been! The conference hotel is really nice. The taxi to the conference site was also really interesting. Then if you have not been in a conference center ... well let me tell you they are all just about the SAME! Yep, you get to see the same thing pretty much everywhere. Exciting no? Then at day's end you get to go back to the conference hotel and see it again! All while jet lagged to the point of collapse. No you have no idea what kind of excitement you are missing! I can hardly wait to get home . . . Tongue Good runs everybody. Enjoy the day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Cashmason

Good job Twocat. Nono, don't worry about your heart rate too much. The chart is an average number for millions of people that age. Your own individual max heart rate may be up to 30 beats higher or lower than the average. My max heart rate is 22 beats higher than what the chart says. Sounds like you run on the high end. High or low max heart rate means nothing good or bad. Your resting heart rate is more important.
      evanflein

Wow... Twocat starts a daily and Cashmason is the second poster...! The only thing more amazing is to have an Alaskan go third! Hi Twocat! Enjoy your trip! DH and I used to travel overseas a lot when he worked for a company that offered reward trips. My favorites were running trails in New Zealand, and through the Brandenburg Gate (and closeby parks, etc) in Berlin... Hi Cash!! Got in some yard work cross training tonight (oops, Monday night). Trimmed willows and wild roses ("prickle bushes") around the perimeter and cleared a trail so DS2 and his friend could push the wheelbarrow full of leaves and birch branches out to the powerline. I'm tired of having piles of leaves and grass pile up on the lawn edges... it's just not warm enough here for it to compost real well. We do still have a red ant problem in the old wood pile... Embarrassed DH got the rototiller going and tilled the garden, and DS2 mowed the entire front lawn and picked up all the old dead leaves and birch branches. Cool!!! Our birch is in full swing with the pollen shed, and we're all fighting off allergy symptoms. DS2 is on ClaritinD, I'm on Nasocort and Xyzal, DH is doing fine thanks to his 5 years of allergy shots done a couple years ago, and DS1 is fine (did I mention this kid is perfect??). So, we're all battling the seasonal birch allergies, but modern meds make it much better. I'm heading for bed soon.. (11:08 now) and will try to get up early to run tomorrow a.m.... Vendor dinner tomorrow so no run after work.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hi (waving) Twocat! I know what you mean about travel. Once, on a business trip, I got driven through the Alps from Switzerland to Italy and it was so foggy all I saw was the lines on the road. Speaking of foggy. I'm on business too. Staying in Ripley (believe it or not) West Virginia. Needless to say I got some hill work today. Found a nice country road in the dim morning in the fog for 7 miles GA in 1:01:33 (8:43 pace, AHR 160). My GA pace is usually a minute faster but the elevation profile slowed it down a bit: That run I think will make me rule out Grandfather Mountain Marathon. Them there hills were HARD! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Perch! Those look like killer "hills". What some people won't do to start the thread . . . . good job TwoCat!! Out for 4 miles this morning with Brinkley. Neighbor's house was looking pretty dark, so she either forgot to set her alarm, or just decided not to get up. 9:35 avg. pace - 164 avg. HR. Garmin said my High HR was 197, but I find that very hard to believe today!! Haven't had much time to read lately - hope that everyone is doing well. Is today the day that Ribs picks up his new puppy? Happy 2's-day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy Tuesday all Smile Thanks for the start off Twocat...hope you make the best of your trip!...nice run too. Hi there Cash Erika...sounds like a long run would have been easier than all that yard work Big grin. I actually miss doing that stuff when I was married and owned a house. Nice "hill" run Perch....hope you make the best of your trip too, and arrive back home safely! I felt about 100% last night before my run after being sick, so I planned on a hard tempo run. As I started, my legs felt super good so I just went for it on my 10 mile run....I love 10 milers. My first 5K was at 21:58 and thought "cool" that's pretty good. My 10K time was 44:01 and I then thought a 10 mile PR was within my grasp. Mile 9 and 10 were super tough, and had to run mile 10 at 6:30 pace, and when I hit the stop button on my Garmin it read 1:12:55 - 7:18 pace....I thought cool, a new 10 mile PR on a "training run". My quickest 10 miler before was 1:14:24 in a race last Dec. I wonder why there are not many 10 mile races anywhere??? We have one locally here every Dec, but normally I am base building and haven't done that much speed work yet. After my run I did some much needed spring cleaning on my bathroom....fun fun, but happy I almost got it done. Have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, Nice start Twocat! I used to do a great deal of international travel and the running helped break up the sameness of the generic conference feeling---hermetically sealed in a hotel banquet room with no windows and then busting out into the French countryside or all around Edinburgh or an up close view of Table Mountain....I hope you can get out for a good run. Erika---serious yard work there. I need to do the same and it looks like I finally have a good window of time this weekend to get the garden in shape. Mr. CNYrunner has been nurturing acorns we gathered on various hikes last year and we'll plant our 20 new little oaklings this weekend. Of course I need my granny's genes if I want to see them as real trees. Nice hills Perch. Tim....being sick didn't sap all your speed. Isn't 10 miles just perfect. My happy distance. Good running Mary---recovering well from the 25k. Yeesh, I haven't even gone running yet and I am chatty. I am actually running this evening since I'll incorporate a local 5k into my workout. There's a Tuesday night 5k series (from April to October at 6:30 PM) just 3.5 miles from my house. The races are a part of the Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club offerings and the real speedsters as well as the long time club leaders are there most weeks. The course starts in the Community Gardens and includes a portion of the course I raced on in college---classic cross country-- trails, woods, over ditches and up a short but intensely steep hill. Good forced speed in the midst of a longish run. Okay, today I HAVE to get more work done. Wildness yesterday. CNYrunner
                  I don't like traveling, international or otherwise. Of course, most of my international traveling has been to Delhi. No offense to anyone from there, but for me it is an awful place to go -- unbelievable traffic and terrible pollution. I haven't gone there since I've been running, but I would go for the treadmill I think if I have to go again. This makes me curious what Praveen thought of Steve's Boston run. I don't believe you ran those hills (or maybe I do). Still on the DL, but plan to test drive the knee tomorrow or Thursday. It's not sore now, but it wasn't sore the last test drive so I'm giving it more days to recover. I have an ortho appointment Friday, so if it hurts on Thursday I'll run again on Friday to make sure he can find something Tongue . Otherwise, I'll just cancel. Tim - your story was a sad one yesterday. PDR got me a bird feeder for my birthday, and there's been a lot of activity there. Those birds are voracious. If we keep it filled, we'll have to do that twice a week. We're getting mostly finches and sparrows. I think we need different feed for different types of birds.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning, all! Yeah Twocat - nice kickoff this morning! Tim - unsolicited hugs are what family is all about. So glad you're part of the masters running family. You do a tough run and then clean your bathroom - and you think I need medication???? nono - I second Cash's opinion. 176 isn't bad considering the ambient temp - 90 degrees is seriously bad. Mary - any updated puppy pics? Wind was blowing seriously this morning, and I just couldn't make myself go outside (I hate the wind). So 7 easy miles on the treadmill (yes, Amy, 7 miles can be easy on the treadmill ;-). Yoga scheduled for my lunch hour -can hardly wait for the corpse pose. My right achilles has been twinging and telling me I haven't been regular enough with the yoga lately. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning all, ...a lot of traveling out there today. Nice hills Steve. 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace on a perfect running morning ( 51F and sunny ). I was going to jump into the pool afterwards but I barely broke a sweat today and it wasn't all that warm this morning anyway....maybe tomorrow Smile Good running everyone

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Renee the dog

5 mi this morning in a fairly chilly FL. Felt great to be out. WRFB -- I like your AHA site much better! Big grin Thanks for the feedback on the 176 hr -- I've never paid much attention to it before, and it just seems high. I didn't feel bad, but then I'm not 20 anymore ('cept in my head!). Good runs to all today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

seemomgo

Hi everybody!How perfect that TwoCat started our Twosday! Yeah, those conference centers are great huh? What a difference a day makes! Yesterday we were in the 80's with sunshine and now it is starting to snow! I bet Wildchild is already covered as she lives at a higher elevation than me.... Lots of travels, hills and good runs already today! Upper body again today followed by 3 miles on the treadmill. Perch - nice hills! Tim - I too love the 10 mile races. We have a couple of them here. I wish there were a few more!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning, I had to finish yesterday’s thread before posting. Enk – why do you need an 8-week plan for a fall marathon? You have a lot more weeks than that until fall. PJ – that is a wonderful story about your foster daughter. You should be proud of the fact that you to have helped her grow into that fine young woman. Henrun – a bike tour sounds like so much fun, although it might be tough on one’s backside. How many miles per day did you ride? Perch – yikes! Tough hills! CNYrunner – I hope you can run slow enough for me on Thursday...I think all my fast-twitch fibers may be dead or hibernating.... Undecided 8 mile run for me today in 44 degrees, with miles 3-6 as a “tempo sandwich” – 1 mile MP, 1 mile tempo, 1 mile MP (8:44, 8:15, 8:45). Ave. pace for the run was 9:25. So much left to unpack, but today’s forecast of a sunny 72 begs for an after-dinner bike ride with the kids.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - any updated puppy pics?
                              Well, since you asked! Big grin Here are a couple of photo's to make you smile: Can you see the two hearts on her side? When she holds her tail just right that spot becomes a heart too. They are now 5 days old. One of them seems to be missing a head - I just love the way they lay on top of one another like that. You can tell they are full, warm, and content. There are many more and a short video clip at www.rawleypointkennel.com ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mary-Very nice puppies... nono-When I ran my 10K,my HR got up to 205 Shocked 8 easy miles this morning,ran with "The Gazelle" for the middle 3 miles,she has such a beautiful stride... Have a good one...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip