Masters Running

Friday in vondelpark (Read 52 times)

Ribs, I asked my kids that ball and bat question last night.  To my shock, DD10 answered it correctly in about 2 or 3 seconds (from her head).  Guess this explains why she is in enrichment, I always wondered how she got in...

Stumpy!!  Can't give up enjoying food now!  Isn't that why we run?

My car is not sounding too good.  Not sure where the money is going to come from for a new one in a few years.  I hate loans, they keep poor people poor and make rich people richer.

Rest day I guess.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

In no way giving up food.  I love to see the 2000 calories burned (regardless of accuracy) after my recent long runs. Just have to make sure the refill is at least a LITTLE healthy. Wink

It was DW's birthday--I've got a few months left before mine.

And yes, Tramps, it was definitely worth it.  Big grin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Well-fendered bikes are an obsession unique to Victoria, thanks to our wet, mild winters.  We can ride all winter, which is more than most of Canada can say, but it takes a little thought.  Stock bike fenders need careful tuning or they will drive you crazy, and while they are long enough to keep the rider dry, they will fill your shoes with water and soak someone who is following closely.  People with inadequate fenders are exiled to the back of the pack.  Recent arrivals wonder at the loving care we put into installing them, decorating them, (one of the guys has managed to cut reflective material into an argyle pattern that echoes the club's colours), and making long flaps  to keep road spray to a minimum.  Some people use cut-down water bottles, others cut strips from heavy vinyl mats, others include Guinness cans in the fabrication.  My own rig, tuned after a few winters, keeps me and the person on my wheel relatively dry.  (Mine is made, in part, from a San Pellegrino can.)

I'm such a nut.

dear nut -

thank you for taking the time to share the world of bicycle fenders in Victoria.  Who'da thought?  However, I know the obscession well from all the youthful time, energy and strategizing we'd put into the technical aspects waxing, making new mixes in chemistry class, sharpening edges, etc. in ski racing days to fashioning my own prototype areobars from broom stick handles and pvc piping when the real ones were only available to the elites when they first came out in 1987.

A lot of people take tri's too seriously so, now that mine are fading into memoryland.,  I'm glad they are giving the same kind of fun to you, especially since you are you are the rare combination of a nut and an international elite. Congratulations.

ps - you can tell them you know another nut who does all three legs barefoot.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

MS - that is so cool.  I would love see pictures of those.

Jlynne - you and me both.

Yay for baby happy sounds. Smile

We're sitting having coffee and oatmeal, getting ready to head out in a bit to the race.  Sadly, I forgot my camera....Undecided

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."