Masters Running

My First Boston 2009 (Read 365 times)

Hill Runner

Sorry....this is long but lots of photos. :-) This was a multi-purpose trip for me. Besides going to Boston, I decided to also visit my Mom who lives in NY while I was in the northeast. On Tuesday I rented a car and drove down to NY and returned to NC in the wee hours on Friday morning. Expectations: I really wanted to have fun & enjoy myself and most of all complete Boston and get my medal. My ultimate goal would have been to BQ in Boston but since I'm already qualified for 2010, I really didn't have anything to gain other than bragging rights. As it turned out, it was not my day. Meetings & Greetings: One of the highlights of my Boston experience was Robin's Party on Sunday. It was a blast to finally meet everyone! You guys are all so nice....just as I expected you would be. I also enjoyed meeting some RW people at Beerworks on Saturday night...especially Footloose & Harry who traveled on the bus with me in the morning and started with me in corral 17 and of course Tim from the the R2B marathon. Pre-Race Diner: I was fortunate to have been invited a a pasta diner at Tim's brother's place. I met Tim when we both BQ'd in Morganton this past October. Tim's brother had an incredible townhouse on Commonwealth just 2 blocks north of the Convention center. A lot of the folks there were pretty hardcore runners...one guy was running his 25th Boston Marathon. Morning Pre-Race: Breakfast at about 5:00AM consisted of a small bowl of oatmeal, a banana and orage juice. I was staying at a Comfort Inn out in Revere and I had to take the shuttle bus to the "T" which brought me to the Boston Commons area where the buses were loading for Hopkinton. I didn't see anyone from KR or RA. I met Harry, a buddy from RW (Runners World) and we traveled to Hopkinton together on the school bus. While in Hopkinton I met another RW buddy and I also met Henry and Marj from RA/KR. We wished each other luck and went down to the Start. Fashion Report: I wore a blue/yellow Adidas Boston Marathon T-shirt, black Adidas shorts & green/silver Saucony Hurricane X's shoes. I completed the outfit with a white Boston Marathon Adidas cap and the white giveaway gloves that were handed out at Athletes village. Strategy: To go out fast and bank time. So I had decided to try these new E-Gels that contained a lot more nutrients than regular GU packs. They were considerably larger and I estimated that I would need 3 of these to get me through the whole race. I had planned on taking E-Gels at 10, 16 & 21 miles with water and then some Gatorade when I was thristy. The Race: 0-10 miles: The weather was ideal...mid 40's & cloudy. Harry & I started out together but I lost him after the first mile somewhere. I was running a quicker pace than I should have but I felt pretty good so I went with it. These miles were very easy & uneventful. At mile 10 I took my first e-Gel with some water. This was a whole new experience for me as I'm not used to running with all the crowd support. I have never run a "big" marathon. It was a little overwhelming and personally I prefer a small race without all the cheering although I did appreciate the enthusiasm of the crowd. 10-16 miles: I saw Erika at one point pulling over to the side and I assumed that she was getting some water. I didn't know that she was having problems. I also saw someone running barefoot and took a chance that it was "Barafoot Rick". I pulled alongside him and asked...we shook hands and went on our way. The Wesley Girls Scream Tunnel was incredible...LOL. I was feeling pretty good and I took another e-Gel with some water at mile 16, just before the Newton hills. 16-21 miles: I'm used to running hills and these hills weren't too bad but I have to admit that Heartbreak hill was a seemingly long hill to get up after the previous three hills. I had to walk up part of it. My pace was slower as expected, but still what I anticipated I would be running here on these hills...between an 8:30 & 10:30 pace. Miles 21-Finish: I neglected to take my last gel at 21 as I had planned. I just didn't feel like ingesting any more gel. I thought that some Gatorade would be enough to get me through the rest of the race....that was my big mistake! I was struggling to the end of the race and even walking on the downhills. Nothing was hurting but I just had no energy left. I was feeling pretty worn out but as I made the left turn onto Boyleston I heard a shout-out & felt a tap on my shoulder...it was my buddy Tim who I hadn't seen all day. He picked up my spirits & motivated me to make a last ditch effort run to the finish. As we were coming in, he noticed that Bill Rogers came in just ahead of us. As we crossed over the mat we made a "U" turn under the finish Line and came back to see him. I shook his hand and congratulated him for his achievements. I gave my buddy Tim a big hug at the finish and thanked him for pulling me in with him. My mood completely changed again at that point. I realized that here I am, running only 3 1/2 years at almost 58 years old, and I'm shaking Bill Rogers hand upon completing my first Boston Marathon! Life was good & it was a very good day! BUT, I'm coming back in 2010 to get this right! Official Chip Time: 4:05:03 My Splits: I always forget to stop my Garmin at the finish. ....No fuel at mile 21 the start of my downward spiral, "Houston, we have a problem." I had an incorrect shutter setting so most of the photos did not come out. Most of the photos that I took at the party did not come out...My apologies. The Start in Hopkinton (Taken with my iPhone) Athletes Village Taken somewhere along the course.... Me & my good buddy Tim Karin at the Expo. KR (John) & his DW Julie, Robin & Kate (MS) Joe ( SR's nephew ) Joe (PBJ) and me. Lou (WRFB), Steve (Perchcreek), Craig (The Pro) GGP's husband, Marj, Kerry (GGP), Kevin (Stumpy) Kate (MS) & Henry (Henrun) Here I am with my Mom ( she just turned 94 in April ) & Joe, the unofficial "Mayor" of my old neighborhood in New York. Don't mess with Joe... I hope ya'll enjoyed the Report!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo! I was wondering when we'd get to read your RR! It was worth waiting for, and complete with pictures. It's so cool that you got to shake hands with Bill Rogers at the finish. I think PDR must have finished near you, as she mentioned lots of cheering at the finish and realized she was right behind him. What an amazing accomplishment for someone who has only been running for 3 1/2 years! That's about how long I've been running, too, but I'm not fast enough to qualify for Boston. So thanks for letting me experience it through you!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

awesome race report Peter!! you ran a great race and it was fun meeting you at Robin's!!

denise

What an experience you had, Peter - A good race at Boston, running friends, visit with your mother, and Bill Rodgers. I sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Thanks for a great report, complete with pictures. TomS

Renee the dog

Inspirational! Peter, I understand about how loud and overwhelming a big race can be -- it is a whole 'nother ballgame I think, v. a small race. It sounds to me like you handled almost everything perfectly. The fuel issue you'll get right next time. I appreciate you taking the time to write this report as I learned a lot from it. Well done!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

So cool that you got to shake hands with Bill Rogers. Pacing a marathon is like trying to balance on a knife edge. It's pretty easy to come off on the wrong side, especially at Boston. I tried some gatorade late in the race, too, but only took a sip -- yuck! I'm so glad we finally got a chance to meet and chat a bit, at Robin's (thanks again to Robin -- that was so nice of her). All in all a successful race -- you did take home that medal, right? Thanks for the report. Your mom looks great, by the way.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

It was great to meet you, Peter. We actually finished very close to one another, but I guess it's hard to spot people in the crowd , especially when brain activity is already compromised by all that effort. Also, I was too shy to shake Bill Rodgers hand -it's cool that you got to do that. Even though the finish was a struggle for you, it sounds like you lapped up all the excitement that is Boston, and it's an added benefit that you were able to visit with your Mom. See you next year!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Henrun

Peter, good report and a good run for you. Marj and I were glad to meet you at Robin's and in Hopkinton. We hope to see you next year in Boston.
                  SteveP

Peter, everything about your RR rocks! It sounds like a great time. The photos rock. Thanks

SteveP

Tramps

I totally hear you about liking smaller races! You managed this one pretty well with a healthy attitude to keep it all in perspective. And those pictures are great! Thanks. Maybe we'll get to meet up in Boston next year. Congratulations on your finish

Be safe. Be kind.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. Sounds like you had a great time.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The Jogger

Well, this report was worth popping back in for. I remember reading your first marathon report, that was brill this is also brill. You did excellent, gu or no gu Smile next time take the planned gu's. Well done Peter thanks for sharing and the pics are excellent. Roy
                            Wow finding that reply button was not easy! Great report. I am glad you had such a good time running the race. That finish sounds like it will be particularly memorable for years to come!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It was great to meet you Peter and I am so glad you found me in the registration area. Good job even with the tough patches---your joy at being there and just experiencing it all comes through in your race report and in all your smiles in the photos. Your mother is gorgeous. Recover well now and I'll see you there in 2010! Congratulations! Karin
                                The pictured looked fine to me Peter! Everyone looks so healthy and happy. Congratulations on finishing your 1st Boston. It will not be your last. That's kewl that you got to finish near Bill Rogers and shook his hand. A legend! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong