Masters Running

My First Boston 2009 (Read 365 times)

Sorry to read about that late race bonk, but everything else that happened all weekend sounded pretty cool. Thanks so much for posting the pictures, now I know you Boston folk are not just making up all this stuff about a party etc etc. and that you guys really do exist! Great accomplishment after only 3.5 years running!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Congrats on your first Boston. Thanks for sharing the RR. So great that you got to visit your mom - she looks like a super lady! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Mariposai

Wow...Peter...you did it old man..Wink at age 58 and running Boston, shaking Rodger's hands and making mama so proud. I so love the picture of mama and mayor Joe...yeah.....I know from the heart whom HE represents in your worldTongue Great job my friend. I am so proud of you.... I would be posting that bellydancer if I knew how...you did terrific!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I was wondering how you did after all. Glad to hear you had fun, and shaking hands with the legend afterwards, wow now there's something you'll remember! And yes, while the crowd support is nice at times, I prefer the smaller events, too. I was glad to see you, but wished we could've run together a bit. It was great meeting you and I'm debating next year, so we may get to cross trails again!
          coastwalker

Hi Peter, With you primary expectation in Boston seeming to be to have a good time, I'd say that you did quite well! It may not have been your best race, but you had fun the day before with the crew at Robin's, and seemed to soak up the best of Boston along the way to a good finish and a handshake with Boston Billy! How nice of you to also spend some time with your mom (who, I agree, looks great) on the way back home. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Peter, Congrats on your first Boston Marathon! Next time you will be even faster! So cool that you could meet so many of the RA & RW people, too. Great pictures - thanks for the report!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Peter, Congratulations on reaching a pinnacle of running, The Boston Marathon! You finished with style running in with your friend and shaking hands with one of running's greats. That must be a moment you'll replay over and over forever! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Peter Awesome report and what a way to finish your first BM ! Great read.....Thanks!
                  busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations Peter! Most of us runners doing Boston the first time have been thrown off their game by the crowds, hills, and other conditions. I'm glad you got to soak it in and enjoy it. Nice report and pictures! Btw, it was nice meeting you at Robin's party.
                    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                    also on Twitter
                      Way to go Peter! It sounds like a perfect Boston to me . Meeting Bill Rogers and sharing the experiance with good friends. Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

I realized that here I am, running only 3 1/2 years at almost 58 years old, and I'm shaking Bill Rogers hand upon completing my first Boston Marathon! Life was good & it was a very good day!
                        Yes, indeed! Great report, Peter, and I love the pictures! Congratulations on completing your first Boston Marathon and I hope to see you there next year (when I, too, hope to have a better running day than the first one). Btw, how do you know all those RW people?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great job! Only running 3 1/2 years and did Boston. Big grin Thanks for the report and pics. It's nice to be able to faces to names.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Congratulations Peter! What an experience! Very nice RR and great pictures. BTW....you look great in the blue and yellow race shirt.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Thanks, Peter, for the good report, and also for the photos of some of the people in the forum. I enjoyed seeing them. Also, being the mother of another one of the RA Marathoners, I know how proud your Mother was of you. Congratulations! MaEcono, aka Woods Lady.
                                I LOVE reading these RR's of Boston and yours was exciting! You should be so proud of yourself. I do not enjoy big races either, yet I keep doing them! Maybe someday I'll get to see the BM, if not run in it! Thanks for the great pix!