Masters Running

Tue May 12 Runs and Workouts (Read 521 times)

biketm what I am beginning to suspect is that you are a lot faster than you think and that your "MP" pace is really something much slower. If you read about the training top athletes do they will say things like, "On an easy day I go 6 miles with my friends at a conversational pace of say a 6:30 minute mile." For me that is close to my flat out 5k race pace! But for them it is an easy jog. Of course if an elite athlete came here without detailing their history to us and then they said "I ran 18 miles at MP pace" and reported it at a 7:00 minute mile people would all respond with "what are you crazy!" Quite rightly as few can run 18 MP miles and keep up their training. But, in fact they were not running anywhere close to their MP, so the next day of course they felt fine. Your reports seem to have a lot of this tone to me. All of which is to say, if you avoid getting hurt prior to your race I strongly suspect you will blow through your finish time expectations. So here is hoping you line up fine and that I am right! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

biketm what I am beginning to suspect is that you are a lot faster than you think and that your "MP" pace is really something much slower.
      I think what you mean is that his true MP may be much faster. I've heard it said that if you can knock out 18-20 miles at MP, you might not have set your goal for MP fast enough. But Tim will have a better idea what he is capable of after he gets the first marathon out of the way (in which I have no doubt he will be smokin' fast). Then he can focus on an even better time in his target fall marathon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

nonoruns if you get a chance can you post or send me the cites in Pfitz's book on fueling or not on a long run. I spent quite a bit of time once looking for research papers on the topic without any success and would like to see what is out there. Anyway if you get a chance thanks, if not no sweat now that I know they exist I can give it another whack.
        Twocat, it was Matt Fitzgerald, and I emailed him late last night to see if he can steer us towards what he read. I'll let you know if I get any info back. Some of his stuff is off of the Accelerade studies, but this sounded different, and wasn't cited. I'll comb back through the book when I get a minute, too, to see if it was referenced earlier (instead of obsessively reading and re-reading every word of the 24 week marathon plans in the back Big grin). Did a yoga session today on my 8th wedding anniversary. I can't believe we've only been married 8 years. We've packed a whole lot of living into these years. I'm very fortunate Bayside puts up with me. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Interesting topic on today's thread, so I can't resist on weighing in. I think the most important thing Tim said is that he hasn't felt like he has overtaxed his body. If he is keeping an eye on his resting heart rate in the morning and it isn't sending him any signals, I suspect his training is fine. Tim and I could be given identical training plans, and even if we were at the same fitness level to start, we would probably not finish at the same place. Everyone adapts to the stresses of training plans differently. That's what makes this whole process so interesting. Tim, if it's working stick with it, only one way to find out, that will be the start line, finish line, and all the miles in between. As far as people chastising you Tim, that is the beauty of putting what you do out there for the world to see. That is the great thing about posting in an open forum. Every time any of us hits that post button we take that risk that some will disagree with what we say. Healthy debate, without taking cheap shots, challenges us to critically think about what we do or say. After this critical analysis, if we are still happy with ourselves, we are that much better for making the examination and taking that risk to begin with. Craneium the philosopher
            nonoruns thanks for looking this up. Holly well my wording was right but reading it I can see it was a bit too clever. Black eye The words "your 'MP'" were supposed to mean, "the MP pace biketm claims to be his MP pace is a lot slower than his true MP pace." Anyway, thank you for translating my obtuse writing into English!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

Twocat, Here's part of the response: There are of course zillions of studies showing the performance benefits of consuming carbohydrate during prolonged exercise. The literature on the benefits of intentionally under-fueling is more sparse. Bente Pedersen of Sweden has done some research on the cytokine interleukin-6 that suggests withholding carbohydrate in some workouts may be beneficial. http://daily-erg-workout.blogspot.com/2006/08/rowing-nutrition-train-low-compete.html I think the "zillions" was a nod to the whole sports supplement industry. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg - Another AG win? Boy, soon people are gonna wanna race against you 'cause they'll know your a tuff nut to beat. Big grin Congratulations! No workout, but was up transcribing at 5:00 a.m. You'd think that since this interview is so important they'd put the recorder closer to their suspect, but noooooo. Geesh - I can hardly hear the guy. The rest of this week will be iffy with workouts. Have to get up at 3:00 a.m. tomorrow to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight to Long Beach w/three other folks for conference the rest of the week and weekend. Am glad I'm in recovery mode the rest of the week. Tammy and Holly will appreciate this - Got my documents all copies, stuffed in envelopes to mail, ready to take to court to file . . . and realized I forgot to put the court date on everything. Grrrrrr! A coupla words flew out of my mouth just as one of my bosses walked into the copy room. He started laughing at me and walked away real quick before I threw the stapler at him. Wink

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

WRFB That Pil's ought to be 'bout half way right ?
                      That Pil's ought to be 'bout half way right ?
                      No there's still quite a bit left, we haven't had half of it yet Smile Seriously, it's been about 6 weeks and tastes pretty good now. I had to get it ready for serving a bit early (after 4 weeks) for a local tasting. Thanks for asking!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Up early to sit by the rive bank and enjoy some quiet time. Will RAW today. Great reading about fuel yesterday and today. The way I look at it is this: I would never expect my car to run faster or run at all without any gas in the gast tank...neither would I ask that of my body.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

(instead of obsessively reading and re-reading every word of the 24 week marathon plans in the back Big grin). Did a yoga session today on my 8th wedding anniversary. I can't believe we've only been married 8 years. We've packed a whole lot of living into these years. I'm very fortunate Bayside puts up with me. Smile
                          Big grin very happy anniversary to you & Bayside!!!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Did a yoga session today on my 8th wedding anniversary. I can't believe we've only been married 8 years. We've packed a whole lot of living into these years. I'm very fortunate Bayside puts up with me. Smile
                            I missed this the first time - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Very very short on time right now....super busy at work. But I wanted to at least comment on one thing (or two)...my MP is not faster than 7:50 pace that I know for sure. (if I understood that right Twocat) Somewhere down the line maybe, but I doubt it with this 50 year old body (that feels great and much younger though) Big grin Maybe Ribs could comment also that 7:50 ish pace is my MP...he knows from coaching me last year, and I am basically using the same plan. Craneium, funny you mentioned resting HR's. Like I have said before, oddly I know, that my resting HR is always lowest in the late afternoon or night. Like last Friday night before Sat's 23 miler, my resting HR was 42 bpm watching TV at 9:00pm... Sat morning I get up and it's 63 bpm. My body is out of whack concerning this and my Doctor told me everything is fine and my biorhythms are just different than most people. That is why I don't like morning running, but love night time running. Kinda sucks for me though because most all races are in the mornings. I wonder sometimes since I run mostly at night, if that is why I am this way...prolly not I suppose. OK, back to work... Thanks everyone...you all rock Ya know Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Barely time to run. Little time to read. Almost no time to post. 5 miles, 50:25, 10:05/mile. But I would like to say that I quite enjoyed the recent mother's day photos.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason