Masters Running

Wednesday Dec 30 Runs and Rests (Read 481 times)

dg.

deegeebi -

It's pretty easy to have a year-end let-down,

especially at the end of a momentous marathon debut year,

and if 2010's goal events are still to be targeted.

Maybe join me in a well-deserved rest-of-the-year taper

and start anew on January 1, . . . or later.

- high fivin' your great year.

Tetaluna, thanks!  You are a dear.   Okay here's the plan.   I'll try to feel less like a slug.  And , well, I am in week 7 of an only 18 week training plan for a marathon in March, so I wasn't sure if I should taper more after last week's slugfest.  But you know, tired is tired.  And I'm making up this plan as I go along anyway.   So maybe I'll do a modified taper, there're only 2 more days (just ask Slo! ;-) )  Oh, just noticed the 'or later'.   This could be good, I have 16 scheduled for Saturday.     This morning I told my self I was tapering with you, so I just viewed my run as play.  -).           What are your tips for weather related let-downs??

this leads right to Nono.... thanks for the picture, it's additional motivation.   I'll get to meet her!  Smile

Mary I was thinking about you this morning and all of your cold runs lately.  Nice job this morning! 

Sue, in case you're looking in, I've also been thinking about you & your DH.   This must have been a tough holiday season... you've had too many losses.   I'm so sorry.  (((( ))))

Carolyn, how cool you got to do that flight simulator!  Has your DD found another school?

Nice runs everybody. 

better get back to work... so 7.24 miles (indoor track), 10:03 av. pace, 7:18 max. ahr 159, max 178.  I didn't keep it as low as I meant to today.  

TammyinGP

Aamos, Econo-son is visiting Econo-mom in China. She's been working there since around October maybe? She has approximately another month to go. I'm glad Econo-son was able to be with her for Christmas and spend some time there. What a great experience for them both!

I do like Tacos, but the not fastfood variety. My preferred taco is flank steak, marinated in chili/lime, grilled and then chopped up, fresh onions, cilantro, tomato, or whatever other toppings I have, on corn tortillas. mmmmm. Now I've got a hankering for tacos!

After a bit of snow accumulation last night, today is just a drizzly soupy cold mess. I would like to get in a 4ish mile run at lunch time, but not if it's still drizzly out. Nothing more miserable than sitting in my office the remainder of the day feeling all damp and chilled.

Tammy

Tammy, thanks for the info--how'd I miss Econo in China?  That's great for her.  I have a friend from grade school who is a Professor of Asian Studies at UVA and speaks Chinese--she goes to China periodically too.   Always enjoy hearing about her trips.

Hope E and DS had a super holiday.

Masters 2000 miles
        wildchild

Carolyn

Deb, my DD is applying to 5 other schools - applications are due on Jan 1st so she's been busy finishing up her essays.  She's applying to Cornell, U. of Rochester, Brown, Northwestern, and Colorado State University as her backup.  Each application costs $50-70 so I've been shelling out some money too, but not as much as Kevin and Mary for fixing cars!  Luckily DD doesn't have a car, or even a driver's license yet.

It's funny how many of us are figuring out how many miles to run today and tomorrow to hit a nice round number for the year!  I'm trying to hit 100 miles for the month, which only requires 12.3 miles in 2 days.  I need 20.1 more miles to hit 1400 for the year, but I don't think I'm gonna run that far in 2 days.  BUT - if I run my 12.3 miles, I'll end the year at 1392.2 miles.   

Bill, we liked Star Trek, too.  We saw it in the theater when it came out, and DD got it on DVD for Christmas.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - hope your owies are gone for good.  Not sure of an answer to your "how long to wait" question.  I'm never very good at waiting.  

Tammy - what's in your chili/lime marinade?  I do a marinade with olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, cumin and garlic for chicken, which I grill, dice, and serve in soft tortillas with various toppings, but I've never tried it with flank steak, and I'm always looking for a new twist.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

holly, I honestly don't know. My DH is a master of 'made up marinades". He just works with whatever we've got in the fridge. I do know he puts in olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice and then a handful of other stuff, which I'm guessing maybe includes some chili paste or finely chopped up chili peppers to give it some zip.

Tammy

dg.

Carolyn I hope this works out for her!  Fully expect that it will of course.    It sounds like a really stressful time.

I've been looking at my numbers too, but am going to try & buck the trend.    No way can I hit an even 100# for the year,   & I wouldn't have even if I hadn't missed part of last week...     I could round out the month a little, but ran 7 yesterday & 7 today, did striders yesterday, & have sore parts.   Soooooo, isn't starting out the year with healed 'tender spots' more important than a number which is sort of arbitrary anyway?  we could switch to binary & then thnk how easy it would be.    Aaaamos?????  

Marathon Maniac #957

isn't starting out the year with healed 'tender spots' more important than a number which is sort of arbitrary anyway? 

In a word, YES!

And start getting some more sleep, missy, or I'll have to come up there and duct tape you to something to make you rest.......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Holly!   Do you have long-distance binocuolars?   I keep putting my head down on my desk.   I was hoping no one would notice! 
                    Mariposai

Home for lunch, I am enjoying so far this walking to work business.

Can someone make sure that Timbo sees the sound advice that Twocat gave to him yesterday??? I think he did a great job in explaining a complex idea to be understood by peasize brains like mind

NOno, great picture yesterday. It warmed my heart to meet your cute DD.

Tramps, thanks for the bucket list. I wrote it in my list for future viewing.

Aaaammmmmmmmmmooos,,,, wait!!!!

BcMorant, 2400 miles .

Busy week for me. I have my cousin and her DD visiting us this week from Sommerville, NJ. We are having way too much fun eating paraguayan food and staying up late chatting about by-gone years.

Yesterday: 5 easy miles.

I was worried about my ability to fit in my MLR with this inflexible job schedule I  have for now. I was very excited this morning when I found out that I can get up at 4:45, get ready for a run, run for 10 miles, get back home to get ready for work, eat breakfast, walk to work  and still be ready for my first client at 8am. (but I have to sandwich a few hurry up miles in the mile of the MLR's to make this possible) so...

Today: 10 miles with 2x2miles at MP (I was aiming at HMP, but we got another 3 inches of snow overnight, which made it impossible to keep a fast pace and still be safe).

Is baby Nate back home?

Dg, great running lately dearest one.

Holly, how is your DD liking her new bike?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, how is your DD liking her new bike?

She loves it, although it's a bit cold for much bike-riding at the moment.  Mostly she rides back and forth to our next-door neighbor's house.   

Nice MLR, btw - I am amazed that you can even get to MP with snow on the ground.  I am stuck in a 10Tight lippedx rut or slower when there is snow.  You make me want to try harder.  

How are you liking your new job?   How far is it from your home again?  I had thought you said 4 miles, but that would make it tough to walk home for lunch.

All this talk about food!  I am starving!  TammyinGP sounds like your DH is pretty creative to be able to improvise a marinade on an ad hoc basis like that.  Holly S. if you find a good flank steak marinade let me know.  Every now and then I go to a Mexican restaurant and they have used some sort of marinade on what I am sure is flank steak and it is simply phenomenal.  I keep seeing if I can recreate it but no dice yet.

wildchild good luck getting through the college application season!  I hope DD gets in to someplace that she ends up loving!  My grades were so poor in high school that the "top" private schools bounced my application so fast I think it landed in Europe someplace.    He who laughs last, laughs best!

dg. no I think hitting an arbitrary number is way more important.  I think I am going to shoot for zero.  Nice round number that it is. 

Aamos I am tempted to say wait about 10 months, but while cute probably not helpful.  My rule has generally been if it hurt enough to stop you from running then it is not better enough until it pretty much stops hurting.  If after you return to running you find the pain post run flares up at all it means you are not ready to run yet.

evanflein I just want to say you are out of your cotton picking mind!  Stop to rub ice off your eyelashes!  Have you thought of moving somewhere warm?  Like say North Dakota?  Or heck even Florida? 

Off today to see my various in-laws for dinner in NYC.  Good day to travel.  Totally freezing out.  Bomb scare in mid-town.

Good runs all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I think she said 4 blocks.  Boy howdy, that would be awesome to live so close to work. Except that I kinda like living in the middle of nowhere...

When I run in the snow in the mountains, my paces are more like 11Tight lippedx or 12Tight lippedx. But it's a good workout so I don't worry about pace. In fact sometimes I just leave the Garmin at home so I don't see how pathetically slow I am!  I guess a good description of pace would be glacial.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

dg. no I think hitting an arbitrary number is way more important.  I think I am going to shoot for zero.  Nice round number that it is. 

OK, that made me snort out loud.

No running for me today as I'm baking up a storm.  Making Pear Bread again and yes, I still need to post the recipe.  I made a wee change today.  If I like it, then I know which version of my recipe to post.   Also making a Browine Mix in a Christmas tree form for the kids for tomorrow night.  And I have to make my new favorite Garlic/Slivered Almond/String Bean salad (yep, served cold).  Running out of time before Whiskey's swim practice...

Thanks for indulging me with posting her photo in yesterday's daily.  It's rare to be able to capture her essence on film.  Bayside nailed it with that shot.  Oh, and she's walking around talking like Jackie Mason because she's imitating the Aardvark from the Pink Panther cartoon series.

I officially signed up for my second marathon next year. It's a week after the Shamrock.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Also making a Browine Mix in a Christmas tree form for the kids for tomorrow night.  

I officially signed up for my second marathon next year. It's a week after the Shamrock.

Hey, we do that with brownie mix, too - Christmas tree cookie cutter, green icing, and miniature M&Ms - yummy!

Now tell us more about the marathon......