Masters Running

Saturdaily, 2.10.24 (Read 40 times)

Dave59

Dave, Holly, KSA - I'd say it's too bad they don't register in the nonbinary gender option now given for all the races I know about from Boston to the four 5K's I just registered for but, since I'm not only from Seattle but on Capitol Hill where anything and everything goes, I better not.

Maybe an "open" category is needed in races?

my current opinion on genetic men competing as women is to have an asterisk noting that the person is a genetic male (XY, XXY, even XXXY). Everyone who wants to participate and compete should be allowed to, but people who are genetic males that emotionally identify as women have unfair biological advantages in many physical activities. When you get to "serious" competitions like the Olympics, I don't think there is a good solution that would be inclusive of everyone. The Rio Olympics saw all medalists of the women's 800m with a Y chromosome. Their solution of testosterone levels in middle distance events isn't that good, since women with no Y chromosome can have higher testosterone levels than many men.

I really can't think of any way to reconcile this issue that everyone would agree with, or at least tolerate. Intersex people like Castor Semenya would count as "male" with a DNA test looking for a Y chromosome, but they were visibly female "down below" as a child, and raised as a girl. 1:55 is world class for a woman, but just an OK time for a High School boy. She wouldn't be able to compete if she had to race against men.

No winners.

This is the women's 800m world record holder, Jarmila Kratochvilova, 1:53.28

May be an image of 1 person, track and field and text

This is Steve Scott, same era, 1:45.05

1980 Olympic profile: Steve Scott – Orange County Register

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Interesting perspective, Surly Bill. Dave59, you too. Such a difficult topic to embark. What is fair to all concern? Yo no se.

Tammy, sending you much love my dear sister. I wish I was closer so that I can stop by for a hug and prayers.

Holly and Denise, keep having fun!

Tetsujin, it looks like you are ready for super bowl Sunday, party food and all.

Twocat, glad to hear that the snow is great for you guys.

Today was a great day for my longest run this marathon cycle. I had a 20 miler in mind, but I felt good, so I decided to make it 21 (the power of one more). Everything felt good. It was a dress rehearsal day for me. The only issue was that I tripped on the sidewalk literally 1 block from my house, my knees will be barking at me for a few days...but I got the run done. Next week is 15, then a 12, the marathon. Taper time baby!

Posie

I felt like howling like a coyote after my 21 miler  lol

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Hi all! I've skimmed the last few days and I sure appreciate all the thoughts being sent my way for the loss of my dad. I've been busy helping my mom navigate a few things that my dad primarily took care of and getting some bills switched over as auto pays from my dads account to her account. For the most part she has a good handle on things. She's super organized and is tackling just a few things a day so as not to feel overwhelmed. and she's had a lot of friends from their church stopping by to help or bring meals so that's been nice for her also. 

I did get out for a 10 mile trail run today that felt good, even if it was soooo slow!

Tammy

I would vote for XX and open as the two and only categories. Period.

Last conference day. Then afternoon of skiing. It was good day weather wise until the last run. Then clouds came in. Fogged up my goggles and I spent the last run alternately skiing with and without them. No fun. It is supposed sunny tomorrow. My DW and I will ski in the morning, and then leave for our airport hotel. The next day we fly home.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The last long run before the Tokyo marathon was 15 miles. Tempo run for the first 7 miles. 1:25:03 which is 3 seconds over the cutoff. Our 15 miles were around Stone Mountain. The course elevation is in the name. Miles 5 & 6 were recovery miles. Did mile 7 at a 5k pace on a steady uphill.

My Garmin 35 stopped uploading to runningahead about  8 months ago from my Chromebook. I decide to get a Windows PC. The next run was uploaded from the Windows PC. The PC was running too slowly so I returned it. I get the Chromebook to manually put in my miles and notice the icon for uploading shows a 3. Yes, it was uploaded. I will go out today for a recovery run. Hopefully, it will be still uploading the runs. The new PC should arrive this week. It will stay in the box until the last return day if the Chromebook continues to upload workouts.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

SteveP

BTY - I love "Night to Shine".

Tetsujin209 - Honeydew melons are fantastic.

Dave59 - IMHO, if anyone is proud of being nonbinary, give them the nonbinary option at check in.  I don't care if someone identifies as a blueberry.  Call yourself a blueberry when you register.

Steve- that is a good picture, but if she IS going on a job interview, I would recommend shoes.  Just saying....

This is a nine-year-old who dressed herself for school and takes her shoes off in the house.  Just saying.

Hiya Runnerclay.

DW and I went to breakfast, and we decided to ask 16-year-old GS (Noah) if he wanted us to pick him up and get some driving time in. I did frequently check him on his speed. Getting a ticket while having a learner's permit would probably not set well.  We picked up his GF.  She's moving across the state by the end of the month.

The kids wanted to go to the mall, so we went.  On the way we got a call from MIL, her furnace stopped working. So, we detoured.  It only took an hour, but Mom has heat again.  For now.  I told her she's going to need a new one very soon. She'll likely drag her feet.

We got to the mall and the kids disappeared from our lives. DW went bargain shopping, I went to the sporting goods store.  The smoker I've been eyeballing was 30% off.  Now I have it.  We got home at 5:30. I made dinner.  An Asian stir-fry in deference to the Chinese New Year. Cleaned the bathroom.  Then put the new smoker together.  It's a Pitt Boss.  It's seeming to be the most solid one I've own today.  As opposed to a painted box of thin steel, this one has a heavier body with a powder coated frame and body.  I'm excited to season it and take it for a spin.  The picture doesn't do it justice.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Hi all! I've skimmed the last few days and I sure appreciate all the thoughts being sent my way for the loss of my dad. I've been busy helping my mom navigate a few things that my dad primarily took care of and getting some bills switched over as auto pays from my dads account to her account. For the most part she has a good handle on things. She's super organized and is tackling just a few things a day so as not to feel overwhelmed. and she's had a lot of friends from their church stopping by to help or bring meals so that's been nice for her also. 

I did get out for a 10 mile trail run today that felt good, even if it was soooo slow!

I was actually thinking about you and your mom as I lay awake in my insomnia state in the wee hours. Prayers for you to get through this rough time as well as you can.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."