Masters Running

Tuesday, October 13 Runs and Tapers (Read 541 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Everyone!!!  Big grin

I finally feel like I WANT to run again..... and I look forward to the next morning, the next run ....  did I say Finally!!!?? Didn't get much sleep last night, so I got up a little late but still had enough time for a 3 miler.  10:13 / 9:53 / 9:45 and my heart rate is slowing down a little too.   Good way to start the day.

Happy Twos-Day!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary,   5 mile easy taper run for me a little later this morning.  Already went out for coffee & haircut.

Yard work & packing for Maine trip this afternoon.  Driving to Farmington, Ct. tomorrow then on to Maine Thursday after a 4 mile MP run on the bike trail.

The weather report in Bar Harbor is identical to the one here in NE Ohio, cool & wet Fri-Sat looking good for Sunday race day so far (sunny 40-50). 

Enjoy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Okay, I'm officially excited now.  The weather forecast is looking perfect for Sunday and I had probably the best run in 3 or 4 months this morning.  The taper is working its magic.

A Glycogen-depletion run this morning.  8 miles atogether at 8:48 pace with 3 x 1 mile at 10K pace (7:40ish), 2 minutes jog recovery.  I decided to run the mile repeats solidly but not overly hard (just in case) and they came in at 7:53, 7:46, and 7:53.  Each 2 minute recovery was faster than the one before.  Felt great.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Mary - excellent - great when you get back the urge to run again, isn't it?

Sarge and breeger - hope you have good weather for your races Sunday - best of luck!

Tom - thanks for the title and publishing info!

6.5 easy miles on the TM this morning @ 10:16 and 139 AHR.  The taper twinges are bothersome but not serious ( I hope).  Right hamstring and calf started hurting close to the end of the long run Sunday and continued into yesterday's run.  I contemplated skipping the run this morning, but the hamstring felt better, and the calf didn't kick in till the 5th mile.  I think the pigeon pose ala yoga is the culprit - that pose has caused me problems in the past.  You'd think I'd learn to skip it.....

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Okay, I'm officially excited now.  

Excellent and that's the way Bill! Now trust the training and enjoy the ride.

Rainy 9.7 miles for me this morning---2 wu/5@7:30 pace and the rest--2.7 cd---felt good.

Yippee Mary! Good news for you too.

Safe travels Sarge and I'll do my best to hold the weather forecast for Sunday right there.

Careful Sue and hope the twinges stay at twinge or sub-twinge level. Strong running even so.

Tselbs---forgot to say how much I enjoyed/was inspired by your post the other day. The book sounds great. My husband is a WWII buff and I'll add this to his library if I can.

Enjoy the day all

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill – I am excited for you!

5.2 miles for me today with 5 or 6 x 100m striders in a breezy 55°, ave pace 9:52.  The FIRST plan called for 6 x 400m, but I didn’t want to push my iffy knee.  Maybe I was just lazy and that seemed like a good excuse.

Unfortunately, my run today was at the opposite spectrum from Bill’s.  My legs were, for no reason I can fathom, stiff and sluggish.  My right knee aches a bit.  Even on the striders I could barely speed up with what felt like great effort.  I can hardly fathom keeping goal pace for Sunday’s race for any length of time. 

And somehow I managed to gain 3 lbs over the weekend, in spite of what I thought was “holding back” at our dinner party.  How the heck did THAT happen?  I feel like a huge bloated cow.  (sigh)

And what Breger calls perfect weather is too cold for me.  My best running temps range is 48-55°.  Sunday’s forecast of 34° at the start is long-pants weather for me – those temps make my bare legs and knees ache.  But we’ve already discussed the fact that if the weather is cold enough for long pants, I am unable to run fast.  I don’t know why, but once the temp drops into the 30’s my perceived effort goes up and my speed goes down.  Spareribs says, “dress to the finish,” and the finish Sunday will probably be around 48°, which is nice, but I’ll have two hours of running before it even gets out of the 30’s.

So, basically, I’m feeling kind of low and short on confidence.  Typical taper for me, though, so I'm trying not to take it seriously.

Maybe I’ll go to Dick’s tonight and see if I can find some Capri’s. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly----try and think of this as the day (today that is) when you got all the yucky stuff out of the way so that Sunday will be great. The marathon is 100% physical and 100% mental....yeah, yeah, I know the math doesn't work.

YOU ARE STRONG, YOU ARE FIT (the weight is just a number---NOT a gauge of fitness), YOU CAN DO THIS.

Hang in there, get some Capris (what size are your feet?---I'll send you my pink shoes---okay, I know, nothing new), exhale now and get that pace groove on Sunday. 

Good morning good people. Lots of people checking in early today.

Bill - you are SO ready for Sunday. Can't wait to read your RR about your new PR!

Mary - how was your weather this morning? 26° and ICE in some areas on the street here. Glad you've got your mojo back. We missed you!

Sarge - have a safe trip. I've never been to Maine but I bet it's beautiful at this time of the year. Did you get your haircut "high and tight?"

Sue - never liked the pigeon pose in yoga. I think that's the source of your problem. Good luck with your taper.

Karin - I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your new picture. Love the pink shoes!

Holly - don't push the panic button. You've done everything right for this race. Tomorrow when you get on the scale you'll probably be 5 pounds lighter. BTW, I ran outside in 26° temps this morning with capris, a long-sleeved shirt and vest, gloves and headband and was toasty warm. I love this weather (when there's no wind). I don't know how Bill and our other RA people who run in H&H all year do it. Once it gets above 60, I'm done for.

7.5 miles this morning in clear blue skies, 9:15 pace. The trees are peaking right now and it's absolutely beautiful. This was the first morning since last winter that there were slippery spots on the road so it was tricky going early on. DS and DIL are headed to Milwaukee this afternoon to settle in for the big day tomorrow. Grandma is going nuts!

Have a great day everyone.

And what Breger calls perfect weather is too cold for me.  My best running temps range is 48-55°.  Sunday’s forecast of 34° at the start

Well, I'm sure that will feel really cold to me too.  (50s probably would also.)  I was major cold before NYC 2007 and it was in the 30s.  But right now, with the weather I train in, anything less that 75 I'm treating as IRC.  (100% Mental as CNY says.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Indy calls for 31° (low) and 51° (high) and rain.

Yippee! This is going to be a blast!  I'm not wearing pants.  But I will wear long sleeves. 

Ran 6 miles with Ralph through the swamp and felt great.  Walked Veta to the river and that was nice.

NOW.

I have a ton of work at work to get to and the house needs cleaned and the laundry done.  

SO.

I will see you all NEXT WEEK!

Enjoy each moment.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yippee! This is going to be a blast!  I'm not wearing pants.  But I will wear long sleeves. 

RCG--I envision a large crowd following you at Indy   Sure hope there's pictures.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG--I envision a large crowd following you at Indy   Sure hope there's pictures.

I was just waiting for one of you guys to jump all over that quote!

deez, nice 5K, Tammy, congrats to your son and his football team.  Also, congrats to you on your 10K PR.  ribs, you have every right to be proud of riblet and to let us know about it.  deez, that's special that you ran a 10K with your sister and her friend (their first). 

Nice long runs for dg and sue.  Good job on the speedwork for breger.

This morning, it was about 40° and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles in something under 1:19 for a 9:49 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Rose, Bill, Holly, you will all have good races, no worries.  Hope that knee is just twingey Holly and will feel better toward end of week.  Just a tapering thing I bet.

3.5 slow and pleasant miles on Riblet's school track in the rain, then changed in my car so I could go to mass there as he was altar boy today.

Now I'm packed and off to Chicago for a day.

I don't think I shared this story with you, but last Monday I spent the day with a new client and without mentioning names (and I ask that you not do so either) they are in the quick service restaurant industry and sell primarily donuts, coffee and many flavors of ice cream. So I go to lunch with them in the company cafeteria and after we pay for our food there is this enormous wall that has all the donuts and bagels they offer, plus all their coffee and a big ice cream bar, and you can have all you want for free. So I say to my client, "Gee, I would love to have a wall like this in my house." And then this VERY LARGE woman overheard me and said, "When I first came to work here 11 years ago, I was as skinny as you."  Spareribs

noaa.gov says (for Newport), 40 at the start, 50 at the finish, 15-18 mph winds, 30% chance of rain. 

Those temps are fine, and hopefully the rain will stay away.  We chose a New England marathon for proximity to Boston and invited baby Nate and his parents to join us for the weekend.  Goal #1 is to get some quality baby time.  Goal #2 is to run the marathon. 

GL to Sarge, Beerger, Holly and Barb!

Gentle hugs to baby Leo as he makes his way into the world tomorrow.

Oh - and I ran 5 miles this morning at 9:38/ mi.  

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason