Masters Running

July 13th Runs & Anything that takes your fancy (Read 408 times)

evanflein

Hi Craig! Nice to see you roaming the RA halls... I'm a cross-poster, myself! More kudos to Steve for his amazing run, and I'm with Lou on the NUTS comment. But then again... the recovery run does have it's place. But you should rest tomorrow (but probably won't, hence the NUTS comment sticks). Hi Roy! I agree... I'd go crazy after 12 days. Hopefully a longer trip than Sarge needs... Holly! Can't tell you how relieved I am to see you taking a step back. Kudos to you, I know it's hard... but believe me I think you'll be fine. You have an amazing base and will come back strong. Nono, I remember one time my oldest and I took a nap together. Well, I must've been pretty tired cuz he got up and was busying himself around the house when DH got home. I think he was about the same age as your son. We have a local bagel shop on the other side of town that's really good but I don't get there often. I took Friday off work, so drove DS1 to work at 7, and had some time before my 7:30 haircut so visited Lu Lu's. Yum... Having the last cinnamon raisin bagel toasted and smeared with peanut butter and homemade currant jelly.... I had the same thing before yesterday's great hilly trail run I figured why mess with success? I'll be heading out in about an hour... but it just started raining! Hmmmm, sun was shining just minutes ago!

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for sticking your toe in the pool Pro. And I have to say that since DickyG has joined us, the daily has been a great deal of fun. Not only is he a terrific all-around athlete, but he has a positive upbeat way about him and is funny as hell to boot. And it doesn't hurt that he's an older fellow like me, so I at least have someone here who understands my jokes about 50's music, old TV and so on. I just finished reading Perch's report; how awesome is that. Aamos probably finished dead last, so you know she is too embarrassed to post anything. I'm going over to Kick to see if JJJ posted his yet. Nice muggy run Lou. The Saint and I walked 4 at about 9 a.m. so it was a bit warm, but we made up for it by going slow, about 62 minutes. Lazy day today. Spareribs
      dg.

Hi all.. Roy, thanks for starting. Glad you're back. Holly, I'm sorry. good call. ! Perch, you are my hero. Nono, that was great. good ol renee the dog. TPFD! Hi. Smile. Careful on that bike. I'll try to help enhance your non productivity. If you were going to order whatever day you could possibly want, this would be it. unless you're weird & prefer winter. Wink. enough excess greatness that i'll even share if it's needed. I ran by the river this morning. I wished I had a video camera stuck on my head. sort of. I'm just saying, it was very pretty today. And there were baby bunnies all over the place. I might have pushed it a little too much but I really didn't care. Run was 5.3 miles, average pace 10:37, max 8:31. Probably wouldn't have passed Ribs & the Saint. HR high. By supreme effort of will I stopped before the really fun downhill into the shade part, because my foot was hurting a lot. But it's ok now. After 2 weeks off this week has been Sun., 200 meters, Wed, 1 mile. Fri. 2 miles, then 5 today. I don't know how fast it's ok to come back after that brief a layoff. Last night I dreamed I ran a marathon. sort of inadvertently. started out just to see what I could do (thinking about today with high hopes, I think) & before I knew it I made it to the end. Just before they packed up the tents. I'd had to stop midway for a podiatrist appt., & a pit stop, which of course set me back. Wink.
          I've been too busy to post or read. I hate that. But better to take time to run, than to read/write about running if I can't fit it all in. Hope you're all well. 17 miles in 3:01:36. The heat and humidity was almost bearable, and I feel much better than last weekend when I was suffering post-Mexico distress. Hi Pro. I'm sure all the wimmen are glad to see you, and the men aren't feeling too threatened (yet), what with your recovering knee and all. You'll soon be as fast as ever, and they'll get all grumpy.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hi Pro... Nice walkin' Ribs... 14 mile lope this morning around the town at an 8:30 pace,going to meet a high school buddy for lunch... I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday... 2 people I'd really love to run with...SpareRibs and Tom White...at the same time would be real fun...the third guy would have to be Bregger...and of course I can't forget about WRFB...but he's much too fast for me... I'm thinking of getting another tattoo...this one on my kankle...26.2 with some sort of design...any ideas...
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
              Happy 13th, all! Roy - glad you are back in the running again - hope you are feeling better, and congrats on the new position. 20 miles @10:33 pace on the trail for me today. Around 70 degrees with 87% humidity at the start - around 7:00AM. We definitely need to get an earlier start with the high H&H. It actually felt decent after the 100% humidity we've been having. DH and I watched the fireworks display at Sailfest in New London last night - very awesome display. I've never seen fireworks with hearts and smiley faces before - what wil they think of next. We had a good laugh when the fireworks kicked off and scared the pants off the seagulls - there were hundreds of them flying over our heads screaming "run for your lives" (in seagull). ;-) Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Hi Sue! I meant to get back to you the other day... thanks for your kind encouragement. The feet did survive. The heart rate is something other than H & H (although that definitely doesn't help) but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks for asking. The doggie camp sounds great...focus & attention would apply in so many ways. ( I wish I'd done something like that.) I'd had this image of the 2 of you in your sleeping bags in tent... Wink. Very nice trail run today. That sounds H & H to me, even with the 'lower' 87%. Pants off the seagulls. Big grin.
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday to all. Special Hi to the Pro. Sorry to hear you've been on the DL--here's hoping you're back at it soon. There's a nice little race in September (is La T running it again?) that would be fun to run in again. I had a nice little 5K for my run today. Nothing spectacular, so I'm going to cheat and sneak it into the daily. This was the 9th Take the Lake race around scenic Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield, MA. This is my usual training route, so very familiar and also this was my first race 2 years ago after starting to run in March of that year. The starting line is about a 1/2 mile walk from my house so I walked over to get my packet, walked back to drop it off (no storage problems Smile ) and trotted back for warmup. it was already 75 shortly after 8 this morning, so I wasn't expecting great things. Splits were 8:20 (about what I hoped for), 16:50 (strong headwind), 25:20 (there goes the PR Tongue ) and 26:29 finish for an 8:33 pace. Since I'm only a month and a half back into rebuilding base after a month and a half of shin splint recovery, and an incredibly crappy run on Friday, I'm not displeased. it actually felt like I had less left than when I did run my PR, although not yet to the "embrace the puke" level that someone who I can't credit once quoted. I think getting out of my comfort zone is as important to me as increased training for improved times. Running harder than I like in hotter weather is a good start. I had the usual placing problems with the fast old guys (50-59) 15/36 AG but a somewhat better OA-- 201/636. Wore my favorite boutique Tarjay racing outfit--black shorts, red top, and GTS7's. oh, and an old Nova Scotia hat that's become a favorite running hat. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dicky - people sometimes attribute me to being a Kenyan when they look at my bare feet at the starts of various events. Doesn't happen much when they see me running though. Smile good morning pro - are you gunna be able to do any tri's this year? You, econo, and tim are our IM candidates someday now so keep us up-to-date. tim/tim/tim - though your run didn't turn out as planned yesterday, it's probably going to be the best training run you will ever have, especially if you have full or half IM distances in mind. . . and is proof that you have the constitution and fortitude to do one. It is not uncommon to lose seven - nine pounds in those things when they happen for real but you were lucky to be able to replicate it in a much shorter undertaking and have a chance to try to figure out needed countermeasures without having to have it ruin the real event. In particular, you learned an important lesson about hydration (which, with nutrition, is responsible for virtually all IM DNF’s) as surely the source of all your concerns about high HR, disastrous unhydrating, cramps, etc. In this regard, in many events, even up to marathon, it's okay to try to prehydrate enough not to have to un it until the end. However, though 20 ounces of liquid (bottle-and-a-half) and 40 grams of carbos (energy bar, two gels, five clifshots, etc.) are standard recommendations, my 45-time Ironman mentor takes one energy bar and one bottle every HALF hour. It works for him as he's won his IMH AG 12 times in the last 22 years. For me, though I can still run an whole marathon without pit stops, if I'm not stopping (well, it's not always necessary actually to stop) at least once an hour in a 50 miler (and usually more), I'm probably not going to make the cutoff, if at all. However, though you've got to figure out these things on your own, there's no excuse at all for a six hour delay after finishing. Skipping replenishing hydration after it's all over is a good way to ensure the ruination of your kidneys, if not yourself. you had a great discovery run so be happy, be very happy, . . . and lucky. Enke/enke/enke - with stomach cramps, headache, sleeplessness, to say nothing of so many impressive long runs this week with no tapering and then encountering the steepest ascents Cougar Mountain has to offer, you can be sure that with all the exhaustion, walking, whining, scary, and nearly DNF’ing, you learned a powerful lesson that such challenges are the best way to make you an even better runner than you are. However, there is a big difference between regular road running, trail runs and mountain runs. The Cougar Mountain 5 and 7-milers in May and June are trail runs; the 10 and 13-milers in July and August are mountain runs with steep ascents and screaming descents nothing at all like the first two and it is not only okay but necessary to walk up steep climbs that would have hard enough to hike. I’ll try not to get lost on the way over next time and look forward to a good 13 mile hike with you in August.Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

13 miles in sunny and lower humidity conditions. About a 9:50 pace and 2 hours and 8 minutes on the roads. Looks like the RRs are coming in so I can't wait to read all of them. Tim, Hey don't panic buddy. I had a miserable run yesterday and today's went great so it was definitely the weather effect. I have learned to back off on such days "there's always tomorrow" and the next and the next.. you get the point. Tongue Holly, Good call. I hope it helps in a short time. You are in such great shape You will be fine. My same advice for you as Tim. "there's always tomorrow" and the next day and the next..... Well I am off to read some RRs Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

CRAIG! Or should I say caiGr! Odd that you should pop in today, because I was JUST NOW looking at your photo, as I edited my collection of Boston photos and family photos from spring finally (!), and sending off for prints. Great to see you! Here’s one with Craig and PDR: And I have to add a cute shot from a lovely day in April when DD learned to ride a 2-wheeler. Notice the for-sale sign in our yard?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CRAIG! Or should I say caiGr! Odd that you should pop in today, because I was JUST NOW looking at your photo, as I edited my collection of Boston photos and family photos from spring finally (!), and sending off for prints. Great to see you! Here’s one with Craig and PDR:
                          That's my left hand in the picture, holding the other camera!
                          And I have to add a cute shot from a lovely day in April when DD learned to ride a 2-wheeler. Notice the for-sale sign in our yard?
                          Very cute

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks for your encouragement Tet / tet / tet! And Holly and everyone else. Garmin said 5144 feet of ascent over 10.2 miles. But the RD said it was about 2100 of total climb. I am going to dig out my contour map of Cougar Moutain so that I can re-live the run from the comfort of my couch. Smile When I told my husband I was not going to run the 13-miler trail race in August, he said I have to do it. Funny how he has changed his outlook on my "hobby" and is pushing me more than myself. Maybe he enjoys seeing me suffer? A slave to the numbers, I ran 6.3 miles today so that I could log 40 for the week. If you add in one more day from last week, I've run 56 miles in the past 8 days. This might explain my dead-leg-itis. It was a bit too warm and humid today, so I cut my outdoor run to 4 miles and finished up 2.3 on the treadmill at the gym, which in the first time I can remember, felt refreshingly cool and comfortable. It's all relative. Hi Pro! Cute picture Holly!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Wow, Lots going on today. Congrats Roy! Welcome ahh back Pro (we miss u). Holly great pics..ddi is so cute. Scrapped the race this morning as I was out till 1 am and did not feel like getting up at 6 to race and have to pay $75 for a probably mediocre performance. This lady and I had a delightful 4.5 hour dinner...............she's a CEO, smart as a whip but much nicer Tongue 2X10K today...crazy hot First one out in 46 minutes, second one in 43...feel like crap..not sure why. Take care everyone. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

evanflein

13 miles today... one more than the 12 I had on the plan. I've figured out I can run a little farther on the "out" part of my run so my "back" can end before the road home gets too steep. Cheating? Maybe a little, but I did walk the last 1.5 miles vs. calling for a ride. Felt really humid out (well, to me) but weather site said 61F and 65%... I was pretty drippy though. Legs felt good considering yesterday's run and other stuff. Minor shin soreness, ditto right foot. Mile splits: 8:28, 8:12, 8:13, 8:26, 8:25, 8:29, 8:15, 8:18, 8:14, 8:04 (mile 10, worked for this one!), 8:21, 8:22, 8:36 for last mile starting back up road to home. Legs were stiff enough that I filled up my trash can with icy cold well water and had a 15 minute soak while reading parts of the Sunday paper and drinking water and coffee. Need to get some ice... but at least I've finally cleaned the thing out and filled it up so I'll use it more now. Not feeling 100% confident in next Sunday's Gold Discovery Race, but we'll see what happens! Tallrunner... out for a 4.5 hour dinner, up till 1 or so... Feel like crap and you wonder why? Wink Sounds like you had a lovely evening and that's worth a crappy run in my book. Holly, your daughter resembles you in more than just looks!