Masters Running

Thu July 16 Runs and Workouts (Read 501 times)

Good morning, everyone.

I've been absent a bit -- things are pretty busy at work so I have no time to read, but Bill poked me on FB so I thought I'd check in this morning.  I had taken a few weeks off due to an inflamed nerve in my back (I think I've mentioned that), but have been trying to build endurance back for a couple of weeks now.

This morning I set out for 10 but like I said the endurance isn't there yet.  

9.1 miles, 1:15:02, 8:12/mi, AHR 164 (84% MHR)

Last weekend we went to the Catskills (NY state), camping with some of the old coolrunning boomer crowd: theprofromdover, la tortuga, egret (and her grrls), hally, nighthawk.  If you're interested, here are a few pictures http://www.pbase.com/lking/catskills09

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Glad you’re on the mend, Lou.  Great pics, too!  For some reason, I wouldn’t have pegged you for a camping guy.  Was there a keg involved?  (I see lots of plastic cups!)

Denise—awful news about your son; I hope things improve quickly.

dg—alphabetical order!

Twocat—I’ve decided I hate gyms. This just adds to it.

Erika—hope all that smoke dissipates soon.  Yuck.

Walt—yup, small pota-toes indeed.  (Isn’t that how Dan Quayle spelled it?)

Thanks for the “welcome back” comments yesterday.  You’re sweet.

My self-made marathon-training plan had called for a 12-miler today with 5 @ MP.

I ran 3.6 @ 9:08. 

Hey, it’s something!

Be safe. Be kind.

<peek>

New job going great...just running when I can...running Ragnar in a week and a half...miss you all

Gordon

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Glad to see Lou, Tramps, and Gordon all posting.  Lou, I hope your work and injuries ease up.

3.5 recovery paced miles (9:56) this morning.  Have a great day!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Lou - nice to see you as the headliner today!!  Great photo collage - thanks for sharing!

Tramps - excellent run under the circumstances. 

dg - I'll have to work on the photo thing.  Jesse adores DH, and she completely loses her mind when she sees him anywhere near the agility field.  I'll have to have him hide behind a tree and use a telephoto lens.  I've already informed him that he can't be anywhere near the competition field when she eventually starts trialing. 

The humidity is indeed back, but it wasn't too bad this morning.  65 degrees and storm clouds rolling in.  7.5 hilly miles @ 10:23 average pace and 156 AHR.  I found a map for the running portion of the biathlon I'm going to run next month.  This was my first run incorporating the 3 mile course into my usual daily run.  It's a net uphill for the first half and blessedly downhill for the second half.

I'm off for a thyroid scan - oh goody!

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good Morning Lou,  Sorry to read about {{{Denise & DS}}}

Craneium I give blood too on a regular basis & get that all the time  

Happy belated B-Day to  Mariposai, Teresa & Wildchild

Run last evening run w/some young ladies who are really fast but trying to carefully increase their long runs from 6 to 12.  After a one mile warm-up we ran 7 miles at 8:45 pace, easy for them not so easy for me. The hills & 86F temp were kickin my old butt.  These girls can run a 17:20 5k one has another year of high school & the other will running freshman  in college.    A friend of mine is their training coach, It will be fun to watch them this fall after they have some serious training behind them, so far they have just kickin butt with their genetics. 

5 easy miles this beautiful morning

Big baseball tournament in town, off to the games.   

Have a great day!!!

My bad on the girls times... More like 18:20 cross country & a little under 18:00 for a road race. Still fast!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Steve! Still laughing and I am not sure I want to recover completely since I ran faster after my handsome man sighting (the one at home is better though )  I hope the remote curls and leg lifts didn’t leave you too sore!  Surely a therapeutic cape would go well with the tights.

Fabulous photos WRFB---and clearly displayed joyful friendships. Excellent. You all look great.

Hi Lyndenrunner!   Hi Sarge and the fast ladies!

Speedy Walt! Nice back to back 5ks there. How is Ellie doing by the way?

Hope the thyroid scan is fine Sue.

Ran 8 miles with Iron J at 7:00 am---easy run as she pushed the jog stroller with her daughter. 9:15 pace even though SeoMae remembered my lesson: “Faster Ladies, Faster! Sounded like” Fawster Wadies, Fawster!

{{{{{Denise}}}}}

Good morning everyone. Great to see Lou back. What's brewing these days???

Nice to see a post from Gordon as well. You've been missed!

((( Deez ))) As the mother of a 21 year old son with some of the same problems, my heart goes out to you. Good luck to you and your family.

We haven't had any significant rain here in over a month. But it's been great for running. 59° this morning, low humidity and a nice breeze and the forecast is more of the same for the weekend. I'm doing a 5K called "Race with the Flamingos" on Saturday. Last year we got a lime green t-shirt with a big pink flamingo on it. It's one of my favorites. Can't wait to see what they come up with this year.

7.5 miles at a 9:41 pace (Bill's EASY pace ) followed with core and leg work.

Have a great day everyone.

ETA Just went back and read Steve's post from yesterday. The picture of you laying on the couch with the remote in one hand and your anti-itch ointment in the other made me laugh!! You're so brave...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It is like old home week here with Lou starting us off, followed by Tramps and then a fly by from Gordon!   Greta news on the job there Gordon - we miss you too.    Belated Happy Birthdays to all the lovely ladies this week .... I feel so behind on everything. 

Sue, I hope your thyroid scan goes okay.

I went out for 2 miles this morning, but managed to push myself for 3.   Lucky I didn't try to go any further though.  I was happy to see negative splits when I downloaded the run.  10:14 / 10:08 / 9:58    Brinkley was more than happy to join me too.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Great Pictures Lou !......No food taste as good as anything cooked and eaten outdoors.....Looks like a great time !  It's good to hear from you.

Last night I was scheduled for a 6 miler at recovery pace.....I did 5.97 at 8:21....That is NOT recovery pace. My hardest efforts...mentally.....is that recovery pace.

This morning I was out in a cool but humid 58 deg. 10.85 miles, 8:42 pace.....a little better but could have been slower. I'm sure tomorrow when I'm coming up on the final mile or so of my Tempo run and I'm falling off my goal pace I'll appreciate these easier efforts more.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Lou – good to see you back.

Gordon – why didn’t we see you in Seattle?  Weren’t you on the list of those running?

CNYrunner – therapeutic cape, I love it....

Eliz – not surprising for you to have some additional sore spots show up after a bad fall like that.  Take it easy.

Unlike yesterday’s cool temps, today it was 73° with 93% H at 5:20am, a low-lying mist covering the river trail, air so thick it felt harder to breathe.  In spite of a long drink at a water fountain at mile #7, I lost 3 lbs during today’s run, which is a lot for me.

Tempo day today, with the FIRST plan calling for a 7-mile run with 5 @ 8:14.  I’m not comfortable reducing my mileage as much as the plan calls for, so, while I’m keeping my recovery days short, I’m adding extra mileage to the key workout days.

Workout:

1.9 mile WU, then 5 miles at

8:15

8:12

8:15

8:12

8:09

plus 3.1 mile CD makes 10 miles total.

The last mile was that fast only because I was DYING out there (Good Grief!! Will this workout ever end?) and I knew there was a water fountain at the end.  This is the first time I’ve run 5 consecutive miles this fast since November of 2007.    (I really didn't know, setting out, if I would be able to do it).    This plan is a harsh taskmaster, though.  Next week it wants me to run 4 @ 7:59.  I hope I can keep up with the plan as it increases, since I feel like I'm barely holding on now....

I got home and wolfed down a couple of handfuls of fresh, cold, blueberries that were in the fridge (ohhh so refreshing), followed by a bunch of Rainier cherries on the counter - is the fruit awesome right now, or what?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

My hardest efforts...mentally.....is that recovery pace.

The hard one for me is not recovery pace, but recovery distance.  It's VERY hard for me to go out running for only 3-4 miles.  But this time I'm really going to try to make my recovery days true recovery days, in pace as well as distance, because I'm making my key workout days real killers....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Was there a keg involved?  (I see lots of plastic cups!)

But of course!  India Pale Ale.  Kicked the keg the last evening, but no dispair, there was wine and plenty of other beer available.

Sorry to see about your toe, but glad you're back.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tempo day today, with the FIRST plan calling for a 7-mile run with 5 @ 8:14.  I’m not comfortable reducing my mileage as much as the plan calls for, so, while I’m keeping my recovery days short, I’m adding extra mileage to the key workout days.

Holly,

That's smart of you to keep the mileage up, while keeping the recoveries short and slow.  Another thing you might want to think about is, on the hard workout days, move the Tempos and/or Intervals till later in your overall mileage.  For example, using today's run as a a sample, warm up for 4 miles or so, run your tempo miles, leaving 1 mile for cool down.

This way you are getting a workout when you're a bit more tired and gain some stamina.  You're also assured you're fully warmed up.

And a comment on your recovery days.  Keep them short.  Don't turn them into a mini-workout day.  Keep it slow and easy.  As soon as you feel like you're warmed up, stop.  You want to get the blood flowing only.

My 2 cents only.

Bill

PS:  You're right about the FIRST program.  As written they prescribe only three days of running.  But those three days are Bears!  Don't worry too much about pace - it's the effort that counts.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sarge - wow, HS girls running a 5k in 17:20?!?  I'll have to tell my son about that!  There was a 14-year-old freshman girl this year who got her mile time down to 4:54, faster than he was at that age.  That freaked him out!  Of course, she's a phenom.  That time is now the state record for a Maine HS girl.

I ran an easy 3 miles with my running partner yesterday.  I'm taking today off, and then will run easy tomorrow before my 5-mile race on Saturday.  It may be rainy then, which would be good.

I'm having a fun visit with my family from Texas.  My 14-year-old nephew is working on the organic farm that my two boys have been this summer.  He's a major bookworm, and tiny for his age, so this is challenging for him.  He seems to enjoy it, though.  The three kids came home happy and chattering after work yesterday.

A week from Monday I'll be taking DS17 down to meet the Amherst track coach, Eric Nedeau.  Eric was one of the first guys from Maine to break a 4:00 mile, and we heard from another coach that he's interested in my son.  We'll see!  We have our list of schools down to 8 - Rice, Texas, Susquehanna, University of Rochester, Emory, Rhodes, Amherst, and Muhlenberg.  We may add one more lower-tier school that would give him more money to use as a negotiating tool with the other schools.  What a game of politics!  Sure didn't used to be this way.

MTA:  Did any of you attend any of those schools or have any thoughts about them?  We still feel overwhelmed.