Masters Running

Wed 14th April Runs etc (Read 513 times)

Joigger

Morning Gang

Me and my Woody out for a 3 miler on the trail.  Grey and cool here but not on RA.

Jogger 

Me and my Woody out for a 3 miler on the trail.

What a great visual to start the daily!

Twocat - gotta agree with your post yesterday about running wearing down hips, knees, etc. When my DH and I first started dating about 15 years ago, we used to run together 2 or 3 times a week. He stopped right after we got married and now seems to have too many problems with sore ankles, knees etc. This is a guy who ran a couple of marathons and now is on too many meds. We all have injury issues every now and then, but with proper care and rest (are you listening here, DeeGee??), they usually resolve themselves. I'd rather feel achy and sore because of a good workout than not doing anything.

Mary - check in and let us know how your doctor's appt went yesterday. We're worried about you.

Cross training day for me - 6 miles on the eliptical, free weights for upper body and some leg machines. It's the annual service day for our high school, and everyone is scattered about town doing "chores" for businesses, hospitals and charity organizations. I'm supervising 20 kids doing a cleanup of one of our business districts. Looks like the weather is going to be great and it's always nice to give back, doncha think?

How are all our taper crazies doing today?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back!!  It's been quite a while and it's a great pleasure to see that there is running invovled.  (And a woody, too)  Hope everything has been going well.  Max says "Woof" to his British cousin.

Out for 3.1 miles this morning with the same temperature as Erika, just no snow.  Gorgeous, calm sunny day.  Back to tights this morning, but it felt nice most of the way.  Strectching on the porch when I finished, I realized I had a whole body steam going.  Guess it's been a short summer around here. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - Roy and Woody are back!!   I am happier already.  Big grin

I'm fine Jlynne - it is eczema as I suspected and the magic cream is working already.   I took Avenger Doggie's warning seriously and really tried not to scratch it last night.   I had blood work done for my thyroid and iron too, and hopefully will get the results later today.   Thanks for asking!!   You do a lot to give back within your community JLynne - you are an inspiration!

All this Boston talk makes me sekretly wish that I could participate too - other than all the prep work that goes into it though!  Wink

No run this morning as Hailey was acting kind of strange, she probably has just had enough of her "kids" and needed a little break.  I did do crunches and pushups though, which are much needed.   I'll be back on the road tomorrow as I already promised Brinkley.   I'm sure glad he doesn't have an RA account.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Hello Gang !

Up and out the door for a 10 miler this morning.....after an unplanned rest day yesterday......again I felt way good and just fell into a comfortably hard pace. Wrapped up 10 miles @ a 7:55 pace.......nice ! Tomorrow I must take it easy....Tomorrow I must take it easy....Tomorrow I must take it easy...........

I have a planned bike ride tonight after work with a co-worker so I decided to commute on the Roadie bike today. Since this is my go fast bike it's not built to hop curbs and jump pot holes like my daily rider......So this means I must ride a narrow section of busy road.

When I hit this spot I hunkered down and got busy.....cars won't pass me...they can't....well, they shouldn't, so I try to ride as close to the speed limit as possible which is 30 mph. I was doing about 27 when a car decided to squeeze me, (pass me with an oncoming car) Just as there is a long narrow pot hole surronded by chucks of concrete and no where to go. I tried to bunny hop it but ended up catching a chuck of concrete.......the next thing I heard was hiss hiss hiss with each revolution the wheel made.  This section of road is only about 200 feet before it opens up again. I was able to ride the flat to my turn.. From here it's roughly 3/4's of mile to work so I hoofed it from there. I have everything I need to change the flat.....guess I know what I'll be doing over lunch !

We found a very very nice house in our price range.....now I need to decide how aggressive I want to be selling ours and if I'm willing to risk making an offer with out the condition of ours being sold.

Ok....enough of my crap......Had to give you taper crazies something to read today !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I would guess that hiss, hiss is much preferred to "OH #%^&*, CRASSSSH"   Glad you stayed away from road rash and beyond.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mustang Sally sent me a message on FB last night.  She had a devil of a time finding Bongler1, but eventually figured it out. 

DW got up super early today and was out the door walking at 4:15 AM.  I was stunned.  I was planning to get up at 4:30 AM for my run and she was already gone.  5:30 AM maybe she'll get up but never 4:15 AM.  Turns out she couldn't sleep and decided to get up so she could do some Boston packing before work.

Today was a bit of a risk but I decided I was going to go ahead and give the Tinman-prescribed mile repeats a go, just to make sure the fast twitch muscles don't go into hibernation.  I've been doing so many slow miles the past week or two that it was starting to feel "normal".  Can't have that right now.

The plan was for 10 miles with 3 x 1 mile at 10K pace, 2 minute jog recovery.  After running 4+ miles I took a turn and there were two runners from my running club ahead of me.  I started my first mile repeat and caught up with them.  These two are very good runners so they decided to speed up and stay with me.  Predictably, I ran this mile repeat much too fast (7:16).  I settled in on the 2nd one at 7:36 (that's more like it).  They turned off at this point and I decided "enough risk" and eased off and ran the last mile repeat at 8:16 pace - somewhere between HMP and MP.

The other guys were much too comfortable.  The hamstring didn't seem to mind the repeats too much so mission accomplished.  10.1 miles at 8:40 pace overall.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

lamerunner

Good morning. 5 miles easy this morning. Beautiful morning; should be mild later. Shorts and gloves; that is April in New England!

DH is headed off to NYC for business so a few days of solo parenting coming up, including DD's Junior semiformal dance and preparations. He is leaving his car here too so I will have to monitor its use.... yikes.  Usually we have both cars pretty well tied up. 

She had her first track meet of the season yesterday; large strong  team.  She ran just the 800, along with many of her teammates. Ran 2:34, which is a PR and pretty respectable for early season. 4th overall and 3d for her team.  She did not run over the winter and has been battling some shin splints lately as a result.... teenagers  do not learn fast.   Plenty of talent; hope she says diligent.

Good runs and tapers everyone!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Slo-- so glad you didn't get car whacked!  Now I see why it's good to spend the money on a light bike. So you can easily carry it 3/4 mile to work Smile

Byll...glad that's done.  You really like peering over the edge of the cliff don't you.  You are so ready now!

Lame.. congrats on your DD's 800 PR.  That's fast!

Just like Boston predicted weather this morning: cloudy, breezy and 52°. Dress rehearsal in shorts and singlet.

7 miles in 1:05:37 (9:22 pace) with miles 4 and 5 at 8:54 and 8:52.  All good except the piriformis (a little sore but best at faster pace). All short and slow from here on out!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Yay!!!   Hi Roy!     HI Woody!   You know, neither of the email addresses I have for you still work.    I tried.   So glad you posted.        And it's just in time,    you can come over here & help Holly & me ... dandelions are back.  Smile

ok a quick post then more in a bit.    Gym this morning.... only ellipticalled.   set out for 60, stopped at 40.  I'm learning!  It's still funny though, at least I think so.  At 38:00 that weird diffuse pain was back, so I thought , "*@&!!.  Ok,  I'll do 45:00"  Where does that logic come from?  (Oh, thanks Twocat.  bad brain!  ;-) ).    Then, because I read about this yesterday, I walked 10 min. backward on the TM , good for hammies they say.  Then calf lifts & calf stretches & that is all.

Avenger Doggie thanks for the advice!     & no, I didn't have ice cream.   But I will.  oh boy.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roy – hiya!

Slo – aggravating, but I ‘m glad your bunny hop didn’t end up with a wipe-out.

Breger – speedy – wow!

Lamerunner – speedy DD you have there!

6.6 miles for me today in 49°, with the middle 3 miles at (8:39, 8:31, 8:41).

I had a 10:30 soccer game scheduled for DD this Saturday morning (I coach her team), and have to head to the airport at 12:30, so I was thinking I might have to fly to Boston in my coaching duds, but managed to talk the league director into switching our game to the 9am time slot.  Whew!  I’ll have time for a shower after all, and a quick lunch with my family before I head out.  DD is already giving me lots of drama about leaving....

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wishing swift feet to the "RA" cousins running Boston.   Hope you exceed your expectations.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Good to see you back, Roy.

Slo, I hate riding on those kind of roads and will do anything to avoid them. Hope you didn't bend a rim.

Mary, my DS uses some stuff called Eledil (sp?) that really works, but is expensive as all get out. He gets a little of that eczema on his hands as a side-effect of having taken Accutane as a teenager (still well worth it, though!).

Take it easy there, Byll... And you too, Holly and dg.

Today's run was as good as yesterday's was bad. Left hammy had some residual soreness, but gone in a mile or so. Maybe being back in shorts this morning had something to do with it? I held it to 5.3 miles since I'd like to take the bike out this afternoon for some laps.

On my run, just where the trail enters the Rochester city limits, I noticed some trees between the trail and the river that had obviously been gnawed by beavers, and there was one smaller tree that had actually been felled. I'll bet there are people living within a quarter mile of this spot that think beavers are just animals that you see pictures of in books. Wonder what wildlife will make a comeback next?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning, Roy and Woody!  Although I know it's not still morning there...

Slo, when you got to the  part about bunny  hopping the pothole I thought you were about to crash - so glad it was just a flat tire!  I crashed at a pothole riding home from work many  years ago and your report brought back memories.  It was on a rural road with dirt shoulders and I was riding on the white line.  I got to a big pothole and a van was next to me so I couldn't stay on the pavement, and when I dropped down to the dirt, I crashed.  Luckily it was a small town, and the guy in the van stopped to help, and then a co-worker of mine stopped too, and it turned out the co-worker knew the van driver.  My front wheel was a pretzel, so the van guy gave me and my bike a ride home. I still have a scar on my palm from that fall.

Mary, I wish my dogs had RA accounts!  Then maybe I could figure out which of them got into the kitchen trash last night, as they might be bragging about it to Tag and Brinkley.

Jeanne, that's great that your school does a service day - thank you to you and the kids! 

Lame, congrats to your DD and her team.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

! Tomorrow I must take it easy....Tomorrow I must take it easy....Tomorrow I must take it easy...........

and my wings will be watching you like a hawk!!!!

Glad to hear that you found a house that you like. Not an expert in housing market, but I wish you the best.

Mary, good luck with the eczema. I hope the meds do work like magic for you.

Stumpy, how is DW doing with her job search?

Bregarcito, you did it!!!! I was holding my breath for you since you told us yesterday that you would have a hard w/o today so closed to marathon day.

Lamerunner, your DD is very fast. 800m in 2:34 . I hope she has fun at her proam this weekend.

Hump day is finding me at home today...yeah!!!! I needed to comp my time since I traveled on the weekend for my training. Anyway, I think this day of total laziness will help me a lot.

Here I thought I had a head cold, then someone opened my eyes with the possibility of being allergy induced illness..funny I am normally pretty observant when it comes to other people's symptoms, but not for my own.Thanks goodness someone else was watching out for me. Head is still pounding, but I am taking meds for it now and I cross my finger that come Sat. all will be well.

What I really want is to be at Boston having a slumber party with Holly and Erika.

Dievechief, are you ready for Wenatchee??? The weather supposed to be glorious for our victory lap.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard