Masters Running

Friday 2/2/24 My Run Went Swimmingly Today (Read 36 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run for me today, swimming laps instead - 40 times across the pool (1,000 yards) with a 5-10 second rest at each end of the pool.  Then at home I did 60 lunges on each leg and 30 Bulgarian split squats on each leg.

I brought an extra half-sandwich to work to stave off those post-workout hunger cravings.  

I continue to believe that BTY is the most fit person I know - swimming is a great workout!

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good morning!

I ran 3 miles yesterday. Right at the time I was leaving to meet a friend after work to run, the rain came pouring down, the winds got crazy, so we opted for her work's gym to run the TM's. that's why I only got in 3 miles. that was enough. I can't even fathom how I have done 15-20 miles on a TM before. And then right when I was done on the TM and went out to my car, there was no rain, peeks of blue sky. 

Will head out for a run later this afternoon after work. Probably going to leave about 3 pm. Hopefully the weather will be in my favor so I can get in a longer run outside.

Tammy

dnaff

Nice job in the pool Holly.

February arrived on a warm note.  I got out for a walk run (no dog, much nicer) and then came home and raked leaves.  A week ago there was 12” of snow on the ground.  Yesterday we were close to 60 degrees.  I have an oak tree that holds its leaves until January and once they start falling it gets too challenging to find the dog poop

today we’re back to windchill so it’s a yoga day coupled with end of the month bookkeeping for the food pantry.  I’m ready for the weekend that is promised to be springlike.

Thanks, Holly.  That's so strange about the unexplained weight loss for your husband, but I guess it's good!  As long as he feels ok! 

My weekend running might be limited.  We have our church women's retreat and the trails are....trails...at the state park and I am unfamiliar with them.  I'll need to be out early with my headlamp, so it might be laps around the parking lot or something.  We do have a hike and another woman and I are leading a "run"/hike beginners' class.

Went over to the path for 10K, so the Strava 10K is done for February.  I felt pretty sluggish.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Hello. 23-ish miles riding for me today.

My knee's not been cooperating lately, so I haven't been running at all; just some hikes to keep moving on non-riding days. As a result, my focus has been on other things, but I do try to check in on occasion to see what you all are up to.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

How-Do, Folks

4 predawn miles, which started in barely a drizzle, but got worse as the run went along.  That's fine.  I just can't start a predawn run in a downpour.

The Hub is slowly losing his mind, he's so bored.  Me, I would gladly stay home for a few days . . . weeks . . . if I could.  I'd find lots to fill my time.  We most definitely are not programmed the same.

Okay - a ton to do and not enough time in which to do it.

Happy Friday ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

The Hub is slowly losing his mind, he's so bored.  Me, I would gladly stay home for a few days . . . weeks . . . if I could.  I'd find lots to fill my time. 

Same here.  DH's work is like that sometimes.  This week, for whatever reason, the crews he oversees (as the county inspector) are not working, which means he sits in his county truck all day playing on his phone.  My job is NEVER like that.  And he makes half again what I make, AND has all the benefits.  Darn government jobs.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Last day before travel day!!

Holly - nice pool workout

Twocat - I am actually not worried just trying to be somewhat cautious. I would have felt terrible going to the gala last night if I woke up sick this morning and dh wouldn't be happy if 3 days after the gala I became really sick on vacation. Just felt like a prudent decision and honestly I didn't mind the extra rest last night.

KSA - good job getting your Feb 10k done. It was so dark and cold last weekend when I was on retreat I just couldn't bring myself out for a solo run.

Tramps hope your knee stops being cranky

Leslile - I would love a few days with nothing to do but I don't see that happening for a very long time except for vacation time

Steve - hope you have your sneakers back

Sometimes on the rare occasion we have a slow day at work I feel a little bad sitting around considering what we get paid esp if it's a holiday at time and a half, but then I think about all those crazy days where we don't even get a lunch break, don't get to the bathroom or we are saving Moms and babies who are trying to go to the other side but we don't let them and I realize those slow days are a gift!!

2 hours on the Peloton doing a variety of classes followed by some stretching and a bunch of strength classes. Figure tomorrow will be hard to get much in with traveling and leaving our house at 3:45am so I did extra today!!

Oh and I saw Norm on a ride - hi Norm!!

denise

Leslile - I would love a few days with nothing to do but I don't see that happening for a very long time except for vacation time

This morning, for whatever reason, I thought back to my hamstring surgery in 2018 when I was off for a month and realized since I was 18 that that was the longest time I hadn't worked.  Even when I was in college, I was working.  Our 3-week trip to Africa 10 years ago was the only other time I've had off more than 10 work days.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Thanks for the start, Holly, and good work in the pool and back home. I had to look up "Bulgarian split squats." Maybe I'll give them a try.

We're going out to dinner with some neighbors tonight. Last night, we got a call from a nephew who is looking for a new home in NH or Maine. He has some places to look a this weekend, so wanted to know if he can stay with us tonight and tomorrow night. He's coming up from NY, and we think we'll be back from dinner before he arrives. But we'll leave a back door unlocked just in case he arrives first. We have an almost all-day town meeting tomorrow, but he'll be out looking at houses, so we'll meet up again in the late afternoon, and will learn about what he saw over dinner. This sure changed our weekend plans, but it'll be great to see the nephew again, so it's all good.

I had a fairly-aggressive (for me) workout on the roads yesterday, and I didn't want to repeat that today. So I stayed in this morning for 95 minutes of core and knee exercises, weights, and some foam rolling and stretching. After a shower and breakfast, I walked into town for a meeting, and then back home for 5.5 miles. I got back here to A) find the geothermal repair guy here early (when does that ever happen??), and B) just in time to jump onto a Zoom meeting. So, it has been a bit of a busy day. I sure am looking forward to dinner with the neighbors tonight - and to seeing the nephew.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Our 3-week trip to Africa 10 years ago was the only other time I've had off more than 10 work days.

I had time off when I lost my job, but I was so depressed that I could barely function during that time.  Then of course I had 6 weeks off when I gave birth to each of my kids, but anyone with a newborn to take care of will tell you that is NOT time off.

I took a break when my daughter was born and didn't go back until she was 6 and my son was 4.  There were not good childcare options and the job market was very soft (real estate crash of 1985-89 or so), especially in Dallas where we lived.  I had another year off for a job search after the company I worked for at the time was sold- 2005 - and then we moved to TN in 2006 for my next job.  I was off August 2011 (layoff) until November 2011, but was so stressed about finding a job....   Now I've been off almost 2 1/2 years and it's wonderful.

Dave59

I had a very nice drive to Michigan. No delays anywhere along the way.

I got here too early to check in to the hotel so I did some shopping at the Burch Run Outlet Stores. Eddie Bauer is my favorite but they were slim pickings on my size today. That is the one disadvantage of outlet store shopping. I got a couple long sleeve t-shirts and a new medium weight running top. I plan to wear the running top tomorrow. Some years it is around 0 and icy for this run, but there is no snow this year and it should be close to 30 tomorrow morning.

I also got a pair of jeans from the Levi's store and some snacks from Pepperidge Farms (nothing too bad I think.)

I'm checked in now, I'm going to walk around Frankenmuth and then pickup my packet at 5:00 for run tomorrow. It will be nice to hang out in the hotel until the last minute and then walk over the the race. No need to look for the port-o-potties.

Not expecting much except a fun outing.  The hotel gave me a noon checkout so I won't have to rush after the run. It (8k) starts at 10:00 and I am slow, so I need the extra time.

BTY

Holly, I was so happy to see you did that 1,000 yards in the pool!   That's great!    And I was glad to read that you have delusions that I'm very fit, too.   

I did a strength workout this morning and then a 1,300 yard pool workout. I'd made plans to meet an old friend for breakfast at 8:00 and had just enough time to get up and feed the dogs, take care of the cats, grab my bags, get out the door, get the workouts in, shower and shave, and meet him at our favorite local diner.   One of the dogs decided he didn't really want to come back inside, when I wanted to leave for the day, so I had to entice him back into the house before I could leave.

My strength workout was chest presses on a machine, overhead presses on a machine, hip adduction and hip abduction on machines, and internal and external shoulder rotations on a cable apparatus.   I almost skipped the hip exercises because I strained that right hamstring yesterday during my afternoon walk, and I feared that strength training muscles in that area would be risking injury;  I started very slowly and cautiously and was able to do both exercises without bothering the hammy.   When I got into the office this morning, after breakfast, I called the chiropractor and scheduled an appointment for Monday morning.  It was just one of those things that felt like a misalignment caused the injury.

My swim workout was broken up a little from what I usually do for a warmup, main set, and cool down.   I did some 25-yard sprints into the pre-set reps after the warmup but before the main set.  The main set was a single 400-yard freestyle aiming for 6:00 even.   I got as close as you can get - a 5:59.  After the main set I did a cool down of 2 x 100 yard freestyle at an easy pace.  Now the interesting thing is that the 400 free was at an average pace of 1:30, and the cool down 100's were both in 1:26.   I rested for 34 seconds after the first 1:26.  When I did the 400, I did the first 100 in 1:25, the second one in 1:30, and then the next 200 yards in 3:04.   I'm of the belief that the cool down should have been slower, but darned if I can learn how to do that.

Have a good race, Dave!