Masters Running

Wednesday, December 2nd runs and other things (Read 469 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning everyone,

Just on a coffee brak from training.  Did a 4 mile run along the rail trail again this morning.  It was warmer than yesterday by 5 degrees, and there was a glorious fog illuminated by my headlamp.  If only I had the time or the ankles to run further.

Had a pumpkin themed dinner last night.  Pumpkin soup and pumpkin risotto.  I skipped the pumpkin cheesecake.  It was fun to watch Manchester United play while in a UK pub with a couple Italians

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning.    Nice dinner last night PBJ - are you feeling orange today?

Out for 4 miles with Brinkley this morning.   Legs were tired after tone zone last night, but I could not resist the full moon and sadly to say, the last "mild" day of running for a while.   Snow and wind is supposed to start tonight.  Sad

Thanks to all that have voted on my animal thread!    Dottie is now in 2nd place and gaining.  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good morning all!

I haven't been active here for a while, but thought of you all recently.  On Thanksgiving I ran the 100th Run for the Diamonds 9-miler.  The hilly race was a blast, but I was more excited to find myself at the starting line next to Ed Whitlock.  He gave me some helpful advice about the course and inspired me to push it (got 3rd in AG!).  

For those who haven't heard of Ed Whitlock, he holds many age group records including a 2:54 at age 73!  At 78 he was looking as fast as ever but was also very humble (I hung out with him and his team post race).  While he is obviously exceptional, I love the notion that age/speed limits aren't written in stone.

Enjoy your day!

Craig

-2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
        also on Twitter

Morning PBJ and all!

PBJ - pumpkin soup is yummy.  With all that beta carotene on board, you should have been able to see without your headlamp this morning ;-).

Mary - glad you and Brinkley could get in a good run before the foul weather returns.  I'll go back and vote for Dottie again today.

Craig - congrats on the age group placement - very nice!  Great that you got to meet Ed Whitlock - I've followed his running career with great interest.

Walt - thanks for the photo - very kewl.  How about a photo of the rest of your workshop??  I'm totally jealous. 

Slo - sorry about the "big brother is watching" scenario at work.  I worry about that where I work too, but it hasn't reached a critial point yet.

Easy treadmill run this morning - 6.75 miles @ 10:28 and 144 AHR.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Walt--beautiful!  (I'll bet that maple doesn't come cheap.)  Thanks for posting...and life-size too!

Craig--great to hear from you.  I love Ed Whitlock and his many exploits.

EZ 5.2 @ 8:32.  

During yesterday's tempo run my HRM recorded my HR as declining over time and just 34 in the last mile. Obviously that can't be right, so I got a new battery.  Today's HR?  Zero.  Apparently, either I or my HRM has died.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

PBJ, how coincidental!  I made Pumpkin Soup for the first time ever last night.  We liked it!

Renee and I ran 5 miles at a basic pace this morning. I changed out to lighter gear for running this morning, and I was still so hot I felt like I was running in a sauna.  So it goes for me from now until it is hot again. I just can NOT figure out how to dress in our weather and be comfortable.

(dg, if you are trying to follow along, no this isn't how I laid out this week's training. Also, I finally realized I was a week short in my plan, which you subtly tried to point out to me previously   )

Gotta get going -- doing a little wallpapering before the school day starts.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

My favorite is Pumpkin Pancakes.  Yummers!

Last night's festivities went really well.  There was the usual overflow crowd and everyone seemed to be enjoying the evening.  The fake snow blowing off the roof was a nice touch.  (How does it snow when the temp. is 74°?)  After a quick lubricant for the vocal chords, we went on stage at 9PM.  The crowd seemed to enjoy our singing, their applause and cheering got louder each song we did.

We're singing all three services on Sunday (every Sunday thru Xmas actually), then singing for an hour at a local shopping mall.  T'is the season ...

3.5 recovery paced miles at 10:15 pace.  This was just right, since after a short night's sleep, I was feeling tired.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bill I think I would like to see 74degree snow at least once. I'm glad the evening was a success. Pumpkin pancakes sound good. This time of year I like Bruegger's baked apple bagels with pumpkin cream cheese.

Four miles this morning on the paved loop behind our school with the fifth graders. Our race is on Saturday, should be interesting as the forecast is for measureable lake effect snow. One of the girls in our group came in this morning and told me she ran a five mile race with her mom on Sunday and ran it in 47 minutes. Her smile as she told me was priceless!

I am trying to make some more connections in my life, so last night signed up for a winter warrior program through our local fleet feet to do some group runs over the winter. Actually did a five mile hill run with that group last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ – no pumpkin cheesecake?  I would have gone for that first.

Busiman – hello again!

Dg – the links wouldn’t open for me either...

Breger – nice Tinman article yesterday.  However, isn’t Tinman the one who originated the Long Run Wave Run?  If so, yesterday’s article sort of contradicts that, doesn’t it?  BTW, there are no fines for overposting at RA. 

Slo – how did DD’s concert go?

Eliz –

Walt – very nice!

Tammy – nice run yesterday!

6.25 easy-paced miles (ave 10:16) for me in a breezy 38° today.  Rain and a cool front are heading our way, so I may stay on the TM for tomorrow’s run.  I’m still being a cold/wet weather wimp.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

I wish I live close to BQByll so I could go to listen them sing.

Craig, it is great seeing you around here. I too like to know that age/speed limits aren't written in stone.

Tramps, I sure hope that your battery is the only problem. We love you too much around here to have you be dead on us now.

Craneium, cool about your new group. How is life in the home front?

It was 22F this morning when I woke up, I was very tempted to not go for a run, but then I decided not to be a sissy, I "erika-up" and went out for a 4 easy miles. WAS the moon ever so big and write this early morning.

Now I will holly-up and put her char sieu pork roast in the crock-pot for dinner tonight. After that I will do some zamba dancing as a XT, then a little hike in the woods to do some writing. The nice thing about being self-eployeed now I is that can prepare for my workshops pretty much anywhere.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Come on down Mariposai!  You can hear us sing and we can go for a great run along the ocean.

DG, here is another good Tinman article on a similar vein to what we were discussing yesterday.

Tinman: "Marathon Training"

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bill pumpkin anything is generally pretty good!  What else makes a good soup flavor, goes well with risotto, and tastes great as an ice cream flavor!

I scanned many of the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot mini-reports.  Congratulations to the many of you that attempted to run off more calories than your mouth could take in.  Yea, good luck with that!    My DW did a 5 mile "race" which was so crowded it is better described as a 3 mile walk followed by a 2 mile race.  She still finished with a pretty good overall time though.

As to yet more on the food front I discovered this Thanksgiving that if you smoke a turkey it is way better than if you cook it in an oven!  I used hickory wood.  The end result was super!  I normally find turkey rather tasteless and thus requiring hot sauce, gravy or something else to give it any flavor.  But after smoking it, nothing else was needed!  The flavor from the smoke was so good you did not want to hide it.  A big success at my house and I highly recommend trying it if you can.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

good morning! 

too busy again at work.    so I haven't read the dialy yet, but saw Twocat appear so had to pop in.  

and saw Byll's post...thanks!

quick post so I can still say good morning...   29F, I think it was, but not too windy.  Today I wore my HRM strap but left my Polar at home.  didn't want to get into a rut.  .   But it's a route I know...and so, 5.3 miles with 11 fartleks that felt an awful lot like striders.  I will call it a 9:50 pace because I pushed a little overall to make up for yesterday. ;-).    Then a brisk walk/run thing with Sadie after I got home.  left all the wet stuff on & just threw a big coat over it.  I froze a little less than I usually do.    Haven't checked the distance yet, not long at all but good considering the time we had.  (ate breakfast in the car on the way to work...)   She's doing really well, she just booked right along.   Smile

Happy Wednesday folks!

I voted for Dottie again and headed out for a 12 mile run at 8 am---still 27º, but starting to get warmer now. It's supposed to be in the 60s with thunder and lightning tomorrow and then snow and down in the teens over the weekend. New England fun.

The run felt good and I picked up the middle miles as I hit a cycle of uptempo music. All good.

Very cool that you got to meet Ed Whitlock Busiman. Good to see you. Craneium, I love the story of 47 minute 5 mile smile. Priceless I am sure.

Beautiful craftsmanship Walt.

Some of my best presentation planning is done while I am running. You sound happy Maraposai and it's well deserved.

TammyinGP

I voted for Dottie again this morning and sent the link on to some other friends to also get in their daily vote! Sure would love to see Mary win that bed for her charity!

I bet that sounded beautiful Bill. Any chance it'll be youtubed?

Thanks for the comments on my track run last night. As cold as it was and as much as I wanted to bag it half way through, I'm glad I stuck it out and got it done.

today will be a rest day though. DH finally got the boxes of Christmas decor down from the attic, so we are decorating the house tonight. As beautiful as those 7 pine cones are on my Christmas tree, it's time to put up a few other things too.

have a good day everyone!

Tammy