Masters Running

Tues 7- 8 Daily (Read 681 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. I agree, after I lost the weight and got to a good running weight, DW said I look like a jockey.. don't think it was flattery Big grin Breger... very nice in the H&H! Easy 6.4 miles with 2 miles at MP effort on hills (HR around 150-155). Since the dewpoint was 70F with the temperature 72F, I sweated at a rate (4 lbs/hr) much higher than the fluid absorption rate (1.8 lbs/hr). I've never run a marathon in July so I'm hoping the mountains and a dry front coming in will enable hydration. It will be interesting. 10 oz per aid station should do it Smile. Also, Spareribs is right on with his speed work advice!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

A 40 minute run. It is so hot out there I was running under my own sweat shower the whole way...gross...Wow. I was supposed to do intervals but when it's this hot, I have learnt to just run what is comfortable... Off somewhere cool with the girsl for the day. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

Tim, you are an awesome dude....just be patient, the right goddess for you is just around the corner. I love the "by feel" run Bill had today. I also went out for a by feel run this morning, but I was not as successful in being accurate as his. 8 miles the last 4 miles at marathon pace. It was interesting to see that my HR was around 145, but my legs could not go any faster than 9:30 pace. I am having so much fun having my son back from Vienna. We sat in our balcony last night until the wee hours, just chatting and enjoying the stories from his trip. It is so great to have an young adult in the house... like last night he mowed the lawn, did the dishes and pulled weeds from the garden without being asked.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

like last night he mowed the lawn, did the dishes and pulled weeds from the garden without being asked.
          (falls into a dead faint....) Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

(falls into a dead faint....) Big grin
            falling here as well!! Wink wishing one of the young adults living in my house would get so motivated!! no running today for me --- getting ready for a little surprise birthday party for my youngest son today - 14 years old today!! woohooo!! where have the years gone!! happy birthday baby!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Mariposai, are you taking him to the doctor today? Spareribs
                Vista, I hope you are lurking and will at least post occasionally if not return to regular posting. biketm, I guess I don't need to add anything to the other comments other than "ditto". As someone who got married later than most of my peers (age 33), I always felt it was because I was backwards, shy, and nerdy. Maybe it was because I was, and still am, skinny. I ended up doing ok, though. ribs, I'm anxious to hear what the cardiologist finds and has to say. deez, happy birthday to your son. mariposai, if my son was not grown up and was still living at home, I'd offer to trade. Nice long runs for hallar, PDR, enke, busi, evan, sue, craneium, WRFB, and peter. This morning it was in the low 70s with a light wind, overcast, and humid. I got in 8 miles for the first time in almost a month and that was my routine distance for a long time. I hope I can get back to that. At any rate, it took me a bit over 1:19 for a 9:54 pace and didn't feel too bad. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                  DickyG - wheeew! - sure glad you explained that photo! I was afraid you were going to say that was you crossing the finish line. Still chuckling. Twocat - good luck with the Missoula marathon this weekend. If the humidity is inversely related to your presence in CT, how much do I have to pay you to keep traveling??? Holly - ouch - $250 is a bit of a shock when you are just expecting a $10 co-pay! HandyMom - way to go - running in the rain isn't too bad unless it is torrential and accompanied by lightning ;-). Mariposai - I have weeds, dishes and an unmown lawn if your son needs anything else to keep him occupied... Sounds like a keeper to me.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning All 6 miles for me today in 56:15 for a 9:23 pace. The pace felt nice and easy. I ran with one of my running partners this morning and we talked the whole way, so I know it was an easy pace. Have a great day everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

Mariposai, are you taking him to the doctor today? Spareribs
                      I guess those three days in Vienna being a bum did teach him a thing or two about hospitality, food and shelter Wink. And yes, he is a keeper! Love that kid. He is not just a son to me, but also a friend. Tim, your training last week looks great, but no Rest? hum...how can a body hundle that much stress with no rest at all? Just wondering.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Renee the dog

Three glorious sun-soaked miles on the boardwalk with the tourists all having the time of their lives! 27:35 in 84 degree (89 "real feel") which is so false advertising! It was so darn comfy out there -- high, cool winds coming off the ocean -- can't believe it is July! Usually in July I'm willing to get up at 5 a.m. to beat the heat. This was simply marvelous! Kids did well at first day of swim lessons. No pics 'cause both my husband and I were in the water with them...very cute 1/2 hour. On Thurs., I'll have them by myself. Should be interesting!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, your training last week looks great, but no Rest? hum...how can a body handle that much stress with no rest at all? Just wondering.
                          I know, but that is what the recovery runs are for. I actually feel better and less fatigued now, then when I was running similar mileage on my own. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

hi everybody, I'm behind again. Just skimmed through today's daily, see lots of references I have to go back & read. e.g., TW in the swamp. Perch, you've really had some tough ones lately. I hope it goes well during your marathon. SR, I hope it goes well. I really appreciate you keeping us posted on this. Let us know how it goes. Nono, too bad about the pictures. Would love to see some sometime. Your kids are adorable. I've thought something was "off" with one of my hip flexors for a month or two, knee drives feel like i'm using the wrong muscles. Probably have done a little too much on the equipment at the gym, the bike, esp. seems to irritate it but you keep going because you "Have To" (see, Holly? Wink ) do at least what you've decided. Anyway. This morning I wanted to lift my knee in bed (on my back) & had to use my hands to help it. Sigh. Skipped the gym. The podiatrist has recommended surgery for my foot & i'm not ready for that, so I thought I'd do some of Pete Egoscue's exercises for the feet. Couldn't do them because of the hip flexors. Decided to test to see which flexors are off, but couldn't do some of the tests because of my foot. I said "Fine!" & sat & watched the weather channel on 'mute' & drank coffee. When it got lighter Sadie & I just putzed around in the yard. It was fun. I deadheaded the Cosmos. Which means I'm very tall. Big grin
                              Tim- she sounds shallow and misguided. Doesn't she realize bald men are HAWT! Mariposai - he sounds like a wonderful son, glad you have him back. I slept in. Had plans to get up at 5am to fit in a MLR. But I was awake at 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep until about 4:50 so of course at that point I was too tired. I should have just gotten up at the dark:30 and gone and run, then come back for a snooze. I wish I had some discipline. Now I have to run at 7pm in the 77F temps.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Boy it’s really tough for me to keep up with the daily threads especially since I do most of my weekly runs during the late afternoon because of my work schedule. And boy has a lot happened since last week, I think I’ll keep my opinions to myself…(which really isn’t at all like me)! Big grin Tim – You are really running well (not sure about that coach though) and you are most certainly better off without that “10 cat chick”…keep the faith, there is someone out there just waiting for you! Lou – Nice run all things considered – now have a cold one for me too will ya? Dave – Rest days are great aren’t they? Well sometimes anyways, and I too can’t wait for the Olympics to start. Nonoruns – First day of swimming lessons, now that ought to be interesting and fun!! Bill - That’s a great workout, just don’t let Ribs influence rub off on you too much…he’ll ruin you for sure! Wink Sue – Nice little tempo run in these conditions…I’ll be facing temps in the mid 80’s and very humid conditions later this afternoon. I think we’ll do an abbreviated interval session and a few more warm up and cool down miles. Dick – Keep plugging away at it, those times will come down eventually. So you mean to tell me that Mr. 534x didn’t finish with those other runners? Hmmm he had me fooled, kind of like Rosie Ruiz don’t you think? Peter – Now that’s a great feeling isn’t it…to be able to jump into a nice refreshing pool, lake or river etc after a long run like that. I’ll be looking forward to jumping off my dock into the Saco River after my run this afternoon. Twocat – Great job on that run today – isn’t that a 3:20 pace give or take … that is my goal this fall…good luck Sunday. Ribs – Hmmmm you old curmudgeon … nuff said! (Hope all goes well at the cardiologist’s). Big grin Holly – Holy Carp – from a $10 co-pay to $250 deductible Shocked good thing you checked. Hope this th ing heals up for you real soon. HandyMom – Way to be hardcore…running in the rain…it shows that you are really a runner now congrats on finishing your first year of running. Perch – What can I say another one following Ribs advice…oh brother! Nice run anyways. Tall – Nice run and probably smart too…and I wouldn’t mind being off somewhere nice and cool with my girls for the day…(that would be my wife, daughters and granddaughters)! Mariposai – Nice run considering your legs wouldn’t let you go any faster…sounds like my 10K on the 4th. It’s nice having your grown kids around isn’t it…makes all those years of work all worth it! Denise – A birthday party…cool…I love cake and ice cream, I just don’t eat it very often!! I'll be off on my run in a couple of hours...great runs all.