Masters Running

Sunday March 28th Runs, RACES and all the rest.... (Read 464 times)

dg.

Well, somebody has to start a thread to wish good luck to today's racers.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Deb - how you feelin'?

Out for 3 miserable miles today and 1/2 mile walk of shame home.   My legs are just plain tired - so I knew the planned 7 or 8 slow just wasn't going to happen.  

Carolyn - I thought about using the "House" characters, but I just picked names I liked instead. 

Good Luck Racers!!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yes, anxious to read RR's!  Good luck all!

Mary, I feel your pain. I've done that many times on Sunday after thinking I could do 2 long runs in a row.

My excuse today, however, is that I had PLANNED to go around 5 or so, but at mile two, out jumped a strange

dog from the creek I run by.   He was probably more scared than me, but I am just plain freaked out by any dogs, so around I turned and hightailed it back to my hood, where it then began to rain.  Now most of you dedicated overachievers out there would not have been deterred by a little spring shower, but I just didn't feel like slogging around in front of possible curtain peekers, yep, that's my excuse, and I went home, where I then prepared sausage, biscuits, eggs, and gravy.  

Oink oink.

MTA:

Went back to read Sarge's story.  It's a good one!  Thanks for sharing it, Sarge.  (Why do I always think of Beetle Bailey when I read "Sarge"?  I don't think I will now that I read that story!)

buehrle   I'm glad to hear you didn't think of Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heores

Must be a lot of racers today,  GOOD LUCK!!!

6.2 miles easy pace 1:01:50 W/DW

Jlynne it's OK to be crabby on RA that's one of the reasons we're here

Have a Great Day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Thanks Deb. How was the play?

Not your morning for running, eh, Mary? And on the mistaken identity thing, I was also once mistaken at a race by an RAer for Tselbs, although that's actually not that much of a stretch: all us 60+ runners start to look alike after a while.

Running in the rain in August can be fun; in March, not so much. So I stayed in and did 5 on the TM. Hoping for more mileage this week, but since my new bike just came in at the shop I'll probably have that as a major distraction if the weather warms up.

Now how are those racers doing today??

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hope all our racers are having a wonderful morning!!

slo - thanks for the message about your rosary miles!

tim - keeping your friends in my prayers

mary - puppy pictures are great!!

i know there's more to say, but i  am soooooooo tired!!  my husband threw me the best, most fun party ever last night!!

if you have a chance, check out the pics on facebook.........i will have someone help me transfer them since you all know how bad i am with that stuff!!  i danced the entire night!!!

have a great Sunday friends......off to florida tomorrow!!

denise

evanflein

That's ok, Fussy, I don't like running in the rain either... March or August!

{{Mary's tired legs}} Hey, you get to play with puppies instead, right?

Wondering how our racers are doing today. Go Ribs!

For us the rain stayed away until after the run.  It helped that we had to meet a bunch of people really early.

Ended up running 20 running with the Frederick Steeplechasers, who were marshaling for many visiting runners on this, the last sponsored training run for the Frederick Marathon (May 2).

It was fun to run with others for a change, and they pushed my pace a bit -- I ended up with 8:47/mi average pace, when I'd planned on more like 9 or 9:15.

One of the women in the small group I was running with was so strong on the hills -- she's going to do great in the marathon.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm going to sneak in and cheat with  small RR in the daily.  But this was a last minute decision, as in "If I wake up and my hamstring doesn't feel TOO tight, I think I might go down to Cambridge and run this race"  This was the Cambridge City Run for 5 miles.  When I saw late yesterday that Henry and Marj were going , that pretty much made up my mind.

There were well over a 1000 runners and walkers, so I didn't hold out great hopes of finding Henry and Marj without a pre-arranged meeting, but as I was walking out with my bib, Henry was coming in.  It is always so delightful to have a chance to chat with them.  As an added bonus, Mary T (who I think used to post here) stopped by to say Hi.  I felt almost like Tselbs at his races, although I think the percentages of people that he knows at his races is JUST a bit higher. 

I ended up at the very back of the pack by stopping to chat with a couple of ladies with a Golden.  As we were ambling towards the line, the gun went off, so it actually worked out nicely, as the initial crush had dissipated and I could run right from the start.  The actual starting line wasn't marked so I think I miss by just a hair, as Garmin had me at 4.99 miles at the finish.  Don't think I ran the tangents that efficiently.

I had only two goals for this--I wanted to go 5 miles without anything hurting and stay under 10 minutes for the whole thing.  I managed both amazingly enough--with no sore hammy OR shin, and a Garmin finish time of 49:17.  So even if I cheated a little on the distance, I think I would still have made it.  Gun time was about 50:30, so I was a little behind at the start.  It is sort of fun to run from the back, though--you get to pass more people that way.

An unexpected benefit was a woman giving free 10 minute massages afterwards.  I had her work on my tight hamstring and it feels REALLY good at the moment.  But she made me almost levitate off the table when she found a couple of the tight spots.

I channeled my inner Ribs while dressing for this race.  My usual ensembles look like an explosion in a laundry basket.  Today was gold hat and long sleeve shirt and black shorts to go with my gold and black Brooks.  Now that I can dress like a real runner, I may have to start running like one.

A very pleasant way to spend the morning.  Hope everyone else's races and runs are as nice.

Kevin

PS:  both Henry and Marj were pleased with their runs, but I'll let them tell more.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kevin - excellent racing, and meeting both goals - well done!

9.7 miles today in light steady rain and 44°.  That makes 30.25 miles for the weekend – a lot for me.

I had a last-minute panic attack about the grout DH had picked out for our tile project.  The tiles are ceramic, but made to look like slate tiles, and so are variegated, and as I looked through the boxes of tile, it seemed that the color wasn’t really going to match the majority of the tiles.  Back to Lowe’s we went, and I am SO RELEIVED we did, because the grout we picked out is a much better match – whew!

Now we’re off to DS’s soccer game, to be followed by an evening of painting trim, which, after a glass of wine, can be quite fun. 

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Denise - I saw the pictures.  It makes me smile to see you having sooo much fun.   You look fabulous in a purple boa!

Mary - some days are just like that.

I was also quite speedy running with the Frederick Marathon training group, while performing my duties as an on-course marshal this morning.  I felt very important clutching my turn-by-turn directions and wearing an ill-fitting orange vest.

20 miles at 9:47/mi pace. 

I checked my log and I've never run a long training run that fast before. I should do group runs more often.

We followed up with a nice breakfast at a local restaurant in downtown Frederick.  It was marred somewhat by the middle-aged couple at the next table discussing (loudly) the guy's infidelity and how she was going to "make him pay", meanwhile begging him to tell her the name of the woman he'd cheated with (and she was going to hate forever).  And on and on (and on).  Didn't really need to hear all that.  We decided that they were probably more annoying than we were (sitting there in our stinky running clothes).

Anyhow - let the taper begin.  Boston is 3 weeks from tomorrow!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Stumpy, great RR and loved the color coordinated outfit. So important.

Holly, WTG on the mileage this weekend, and in the rain too!  You never cease to amaze me.  I'm also impressed that you pay attention to group colors....something I would have overlooked.

Predawnrunner...who knew you'd be having breakfast w/ a desperate housewife?

Go Stumpy! I am glad you got to race today and sometimes the last minute plan is best. No pressure and you just race!

Great miles there Beers and sounds like fun with the group. Dr. B and Dr J went into Boston today to run 23 on the course and I am sure I'll hear tales about all the people they saw.

Good day for me and 19 miles total with a good portion of it in race mode at the Oleksak Lumber/Boys and Girls Club half-marathon in Westfield, MA. This course and I seem to like each other as my past experiences have been good ones too. I was gunning for a 1:35 or steady 7:15 pacing per mile (at least those are the splits I wrote on my arm and memorized). The hills are mostly in the first 4 miles---short steep one at mile 2 and long climbing quad-buster at mile 3. Nice and sweet downhill at mile 5. I am really, really happy that I was able to hold pace and run under 7:15s without a taper. There was a pretty stiff headwind most of the way and I was mostly by myself---no tall guy wind guards! First mile was 7:10, hit mile 5 at 36:20, mile 8 at 57:13, mile 10 at 1:11:23 (faster than the Jones 10 miler in February), mile 12 at 1:26 and then the finish at 1:33:56----my wristwatch and the race clock had the same times. No chip timing here but I lined up fairly close to the starting line and lost maybe 4 seconds there, so no biggie. I was 43rd overall and first masters woman (5th woman overall). They have a huge feed after the race---bagels, bananas, oranges, pasta, meatballs, cookies and more. I could only handle a bagel and some water but everything looked great. Cool wooden medals too---a lumber company after all! I saw lots of the local speedsters and had a blast. Warm-up mile and cool down miles out on the course made 19 for the day.

http://greystoneracing.net/pages/Race%20Results%202010/Westfield%20Half%203.28.10.txt

On to the week ahead----nice running Holly. I'll be tired when I see you for our Ohio run, but happy to have a friend to run with during a long week on the road.

Denise---I loved your photos on FB---you know how to turn 50 the right way and looking fabulous too. Happy (early) Birthday and I hope you keep celebrating.

Henrun

Guess I'll have to give a RR since Stumpy blew our cover.                                                                             

Actually it was great seeing Kevin and the few other people we knew. And Marj and I really enjoyed the race. We both ended up with hardware (huge, ugly trophies), Marj for a 2nd and me for a 3rd.

Since it was a cold morning we weren't sure how to dress. Marj ended up wearing her running jacket which she quickly doffed in the first half mile and running pants. I had wanted to run in shorts but ended up putting running pants over them and a heavier long sleeve running shirt. Despite the cold it was sunny and the course was generally flat with a few small hills. Miles 2 to 4 went through Fresh Pond reservoir.

I had run it 4 years ago and was 6 minutes faster than today (how the years have slowed me down). But, nevertheless, it was my fastest 5 miler in the last 2 years (by over a minute). Marj was close to a p.r. as she continues to get faster and faster.

We're doing another 5 miler in 2 weeks as we prepare for our next half marathon the first week of May.

Renee the dog

Wow!  What a daily! Packed with good stuff!

I completed my second marathon in 2 weeks -- 4;44:20 unofficial.   Buehrle and Rocket Scientist are awesome! 

I'm showered, on the couch for the duration, and not completely lucid (Pretty much like any day, just earlier!   )

RR will follow, once I remember what happened out there!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!