Masters Running

Tuesday, Nov 22 (Read 29 times)

mrrun

Two more days until Thursday (Henrun verified the day and date)

(((to so many - Posai, Deez, Holly, Jlynne and others keeping it to themselves))

I couldn't deal with yesterday's cold and wind so did the one-way run into Boston and took the T home - and yes had to dig out the warm hat from the basement.  Not the cold that Erika gets, but our first freeze.

If you're still working, enjoy the short week.  If you're retired, enjoy the extra time and that you can choose to run when the weather is better.  As to slowing times, we're out there doing it and having fun.

marj

Head Procrastinator

Thanks for starting us Marge

Yes, vibes to everyone here dealing with their loved ones issues! Denise, men can be so stubborn, glad you had more sense .

I couldn't take the wind yesterday either, so elliptical and resistance training. Then drove to Mom's for the week in DE. Windy here too.

Still windy,, I have to shop for Thursday, going to get in a nice hike I think first.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
      coastwalker

Mornin' Marj and everyone to come.

I'm glad you got in a good run, despite the cold, Marj. It sure was a quick change 'o weather, wasn't it?

Pretty scary, Deeze! So glad that you trusted your instincts and got DH to the hospital when you did. I hope everything goes well from here forward.

Dave, it's kind of good that your back lets you know when you are not exercising it enough. I think we all get those cues from our bodies, but it is up to us to be aware of them, and to do something about them.

Nice run on the TM yesterday, Evanflein, and good luck on your outdoor, freezing run this morning.

Holly, I'm also very glad that DD likes the counselor and is going to see her again. I hope that continues, and that it helps.

Marj, I'm semi-retired, but still at the office most days. I'll probably take half of tomorrow off because DW and I have a bit of cooking to do for Thursday. The menu, so far, includes a fried turkey (never done that before, so it'll be interesting); two-way stuffing with mushrooms and bacon; cauliflower gratin with goat cheese topping; roasted baby potatoes with rosemary; roasted carrots with parsley and thyme; a tomato, fresh fig and blue cheese salad; fiery sweet potatoes; and hashed brussels sprouts with lemon. (Almost all recipes are from NY Times Cooking.) We'll also have pumpkin pie, coconut custard pie, chocolate whiskey cake, and maybe a sweet potato cheese cake if I have time to make it.

I'm really pissed at myself for overdoing it on my workout on Sunday, and thus setting myself back by at least a week. No Thanksgiving day races for me, and the Hot Chocolate Run with CNY ant LaT (and Hally?) is in serious jeopardy. The other worst part of this is that I don't know exactly what I'm dealing with, and so don't know the best way to deal with it, whether with rest, stretching, rolling, or all of the above or none of the above or something else. I'm trying not to be a whiner, so I'll just say that this too will pass, and I'll find other interesting and productive things to do with my early morning time (no, not sleep) in the interim.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - hope its a late dinner so we can stop by on our way home from kittery.  We'll bring the left over drunken cranberries from twocat

heal quickly!

Marathon Maniac #957

The menu, so far, includes a fried turkey (never done that before, so it'll be interesting); two-way stuffing with mushrooms and bacon; cauliflower gratin with goat cheese topping; roasted baby potatoes with rosemary; roasted carrots with parsley and thyme; a tomato, fresh fig and blue cheese salad; fiery sweet potatoes; and hashed brussels sprouts with lemon. (Almost all recipes are from NY Times Cooking.) We'll also have pumpkin pie, coconut custard pie, chocolate whiskey cake, and maybe a sweet potato cheese cake if I have time to make it.

Okay, I am officially drooling on my keyboard......

4.3 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

This was a gym morning.  ARC trainer and some weights,  Work has been relatively quiet today which is nice.  Reminds me of a time when I really liked my job. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Really bad to read that while waiting for lunch. Also drooling.

3.1 miles this morning before a drive to ct as practice for tomorrow when we head off to Rochester along with several hundred of our new friends.

Okay, I am officially drooling on my keyboard......

4.3 miles for me today on the TM.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Beautiful morning today, albeit a full 40 degrees colder than this time last week. But at least easy to dress for since it was sunny with little wind, and I ran a very good 5 miles on the local unpaved rail-trail (wish I'd felt that good on that 10K a couple weeks ago). It's always nice to get some last runs in on the trails, since once we have a good snow or two, they're pretty much unrunnable until Spring (either frozen and slippery or thawing and mushy).

Last year's Thanksgiving weekend was a real whirlwind since my DS was changing jobs and moving down here from upstate on that weekend, so we were busy renting a U-Haul, lining up movers for the heavy stuff, trying to find out if his apartment would be ready, arranging to sign the rental agreement, etc. My DW simply didn't have time to do the usual dinner prep, so we bought a complete prepared meal from a local grocery/produce store: a whole turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce, etc. It just needed to be reheated in the stove and we ate it around the kitchen table.

Well, this year things are 100% calmed down and even better than the old normal (DS just lives 15 minutes away now), but my wife enjoyed not having all that work to do (for just four people, after all) so we're doing the same thing this year except we'll eat in the dining room this time. Could be a trend here, at least for one of the big holiday dinners every year!

Good running to all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Hi All! 

my pants feel tighter already just reading of yummy Thanksgiving food!

I'll be hosting the day at our house, but with only 7 of us, it's not a huge affair anyways.  Will run a Turkey Trot in the morning and will see Johnny there also Smile 

After today I'm off the rest of the week, so hoping weather cooperates so I can get in some decent runs.

Tammy

Sounds like some folks are going through some trying times.  You all are in my heart and prayers.

Yesterday after work it was an hour of core/ST - at the end of which I was able to balance on my stability ball on knees for 10 seconds with only touching the wall a couple of times.  Woot Woot!!

This a.m., in wonderfully chilly, clear conditions it was 4 EZ miles while finishing up listening to the 2-part/2-hr podcast interview of Mike Rowe on "The School of Greatness."  Fantastic interview.  Wish it was longer.

We're supposed to get a storm system coming in this afternoon through the weekend.  Should make the rest of my running this week less than desirable. 

Thanksgiving - Since it's just the two of us, it's hard to justify cooking a big meal.  But we did find a turkey at the bottom of our freezer, so we'll at least be cooking that and freezing 90% of it for later use.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...hi guys//.......still Shell-Shocked after getting back from knoxville, usually lasts 24-hours

=========

two 20-min X-Bike Standing work-Outs today

also

weights

getting ready

for Pickles to retire at the end of the year,,,,,,

after

working for the last 40+ years, it's gonna be a Little Weird around here I think for both of us

she says

she wants to PoolRun,

so we'll see what happens

off to Clarksville Thurs,

then

BACK to knoxville the following weekend.......ugh 60-days+ of this

..................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

5.6 miles at a pretty easy pace (I guess) leaving at 4 pm and -5°. I say "I guess" on distance because my Garmin, for the first time ever, messed up my starting point and initial first few tenths of a mile. Had me starting way off from where I really started, and cutting a corner and going down a steep bank through the snow. Um... no, that didn't happen. Figured the run was about a tenth of a mile short, but it was still a really good run. But I will say, glad I wasn't out there much longer! Wore my headlamp for the first time this fall, but didn't need my spikes, which was really nice.

SteveP

Hi All! 

my pants feel tighter already just reading of yummy Thanksgiving food!

We're hosting as well. It may be less than 20 of us. I've been brining a turkey in peach juice, amaretto, sage a thyme since Sunday. Up at Jay O'clock Thursday and tossing the bird in a smoker.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

We're hosting as well. It may be less than 20 of us. I've been brining a turkey in peach juice, amaretto, sage a thyme since Sunday. Up at Jay O'clock Thursday and tossing the bird in a smoker.

Wow that sounds good!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."