Masters Running

Sunday beautiful day runs & other natural wonders (Read 364 times)

2 mile warm up then 8 mile club run for 10 total.  Got to see a bald eagle, I stopped & took a photo with my cell phone.  DD my tech support is out of town, I will see if I can get the photo out of the phone & on the computer later.    Also saw several deer, heard woodpeckers  and of course many songbirds.  It was just of those wonderful mornings. 

Enjoy! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Dove and Erika mentioned that not many of the local runners know much about them.  I'm sorta in that same camp.  I am fairly quiet and reserved in person which leads to this in my local running club.  But that's okay.  That's who I am.

4 miles of a rather poorly executed recovery run.  10:57, 10:01, 9:14, and 9:01.  Clearly too fast on the last 2 miles to serve as recovery.  This is why I like to run recoveries short as well as slow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hey Sarge.......thanks for getting us going this morning.    Looks like a lot of people are either still at church, sleeping in, or maybe even out running.

I got in 10 miles this morning as well.    That must be the number of the day.  The sun is hot and the temperature is 86 (and rising) with humidity.    I probably would have done better if I had left to run an hour earlier.   The last two miles are climbing a hill with no shade to utilize.   I had to concentrate to stay with it and finish.

Anyway, as someone in here said the other day.....(maybe it was Breger or maybe it was Dave59)........"give me an hour and a shower"  and I will be alright.   

Have a nice day everyone.

Joey

Vista

...lookin' good guys........

...........25min 4/1 HH run.....70s when I started, 80s when I stopped.

haven't run The Track in a while,

met

a backpacker in full gear,

a Gemanic PowerWalker

and

a VERY confused college runner watching an old guy with HandWeights and a Folding Cane joining the lanes.

he may have thought The Circus was in town this week.

.........nonetheless, broke a sweat and got in a WorkOut......

......Life is Good.......

..........................good running guys.................Break Some Sweat...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey--we're up and running again. I couldn't access RA this AM.

10.25 in about 1.5 hours....it was cooler out this morning.

Walt

Busy weekend for me.

Friday was a wonderful 8 hour kayak trip down the Huron River. Not any big water but a few litlle drops to make it fun. Lots of wildlife and beautiful waters. Later that night a art opening and dinner with a gorgeous woman who happens to be my wife.

Saturday was graduation party day for my nephew. My BIL brews the best beer! My favorite yesterday was an american wheat but I tried them all. To much beer and to much party food but it was for a good cause.

Sunday has started out with a 10.25 mile run in about 1:41:00 and now recovering to mow grass that I have ignored for to long. The heat has slowed it down but the weeds are knee high.  

Hope everybody enjoys these nice summer days.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Henrun

Yes, it must have been 10day. Marj and I wanted a route near the water on this continuing humid spell, so we subwayed down to the Charles, ran along Boston Harbor and subwayed home. Marj got in 10 and I was close to it. On the Charles a woman about Marj's age (Marj was running ahead of me at that time) stopped to say hello Henry. Turned out that she was from D.C. and in Boston at a convention, and was running with Marj for about 10 minutes. And Marj says I'm the "social butterfly".     

It was a good but tiring run for both of us. Later this afternoon, we hope to do a short bike ride into Cambridge for an outdoor poetry reading by a well known poet. We do need our culture as well as our exercise!

Dove, way to go in the  5K with masters win.

Nice long runs for Aamos, lame, evan, sarge, vista, Walt, haller (topping off a great weekend), henrun, and marj.

This morning, it was in the low 60s, almost calm, and with some humidity.  I got in 5 miles in about 49:30 for a 9:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Over the Hedge - July 11, 2010

For those of you who aren't "Over the Hedge"fans" --- the natural progression of barefoot running?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

stoopid IE, just lost my looong post.   I won't repeat it right now.  Will just say 12.8 sucky miles, ... I tried so hard to do everything right yesterday!    But for some reason it was really hard.   Wanted to stop after 4!   I do think it's more humid by the river (Henrun, part of my post was asking about your running by the water when it's humid...)  but it was just as bad last week, after very little sleep, & I was ok.  oh well.  plan was for 14.  hamstrings started barking for the last 3 miles, & I knew that doing another 2 was begging for another injury.    Overall running pace was 9:53, but stopped 75 million times.  Ok, 8.   so that doesn't really count.  AHR was 170, max 179.

happy Sunday!

...dg//........the Tough Ones count double.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Dove – nice 5k Masters win!

Erika – while I’d love to come visit Alaska, it’s just not financially feasible for us anytime soon.

No run today, although I feel like I’m white-knuckling it a bit.   Even a bad run is better than no run at all.  It definitely takes more discipline NOT to run than it does to run.  Especially when your weight is on the  uncomfortably high end of the range. 

Instead I played 9 holes of golf with DH this morning, trying out the new golf clubs that my SIL sent me  - Cleveland Blooms.  Wow!  For you golfers out there, have you tried the hybrids?  I have never hit with my 3 iron like I can now.  Amazing clubs….they make me look good….

Then a couple hours at the pool with the kids, where I tried pool running for 45 minutes, holding a swim noodle around my waist in lieu of a flotation belt.  This doesn’t seem like much of a calorie burner, though.  I’m hoping I won’t need to depend on that for my workouts….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

Erika:  take care of that burn,  they are the worst.

I would consider Alaska for 2011,  I probably won't pick off all 50 states until I retire, but I try to get one or 2 new ones each year. 

17 slow miles for me today,  finally cooled down a bit.  running was easier than my 10 a couple days ago.  I need to start  working on hills one of these days.

Dave

Henrun

dg-running by the Charles river and the harbor didn't seem more humid. Maybe the slight breeze helped. Regardless, weather forecasts say it's not get any better this week.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

first trail race since my knee got old and uncooperative on me last year.

half up/half down. had to walk most of the up. 

Not as many birds as sarge but  beautiful scenery in  forest natheless..
                                Giant hot tub afterwards.

So many shirtless guys it somehow reminded me of your cartoon stumpy.

=========================

Dove - don't do humpy's.  It was called Earthquake Marathon when I did it in those days but is all in downtown Anchorage and can't even seen the remnants of Earthquake Park anymore.  Mayor's Marathon is half on old army tank trail with occasional moose, bear or wolves. Second half is on bike path pretty much mercifully cut off from city views to end on track at West High.  Best part about Mayor's  is the summer solstice timing as sun goes down about 11:45pm and barely creases under the horizon for a three hour sunset/rise until 3am.

however, for running, Erika's  Equinox Marathon would be the Boston Marathon if it wasn't for the fact that there already was a Boston Marathon.  It was started by some x-c ski friends in the sixties who wanted to find the  hardest possible 26.2 mile run they could do from the University of Fairbanks campus to get in shape for winter ski races. They did. It was Erika's first marathon and she does it every year (50K too)  so she thinks it's normal  but there are few marathons giving such a sense of accomplishment no matter what the clock says. they now have a Team-in-Training walking slow  division so I'd go back in a heartbeat too. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)