Pickens County Y Race Team

what's next for you?? (Read 12 times)

tweisner

I'm thinking of doing the Richmond Marathon in Richmond, Virginia.  It would be my first marathon.  It is dubbed "America's Friendliest Marathon".  It made Runner's World top list of Fall Marathons back in '09.  When I did a google search for Fall Marathons it was listed in the top 15 at this website.

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/best-marathons-fall/

It's within driving distance.  I wanted an established marathon that was out of town with a good crowd but not 30,000 people and not 500 people.  I wanted a long sleeve t-shirt.  I wanted it to be a Boston Qualifier.  Not that I will do that but my friend, Beth, really wants to try for that.  She is doing it also.  And it was on the BQ list on the Boston website.  Its November 15.  Training starts June 28.

- itri - 

tweisner

Well, I registered for my first marathon.

- itri - 

Very exciting!!!!!  now just stay healthy and don't over-do it in training!!!!

Well, I registered for my first marathon.

tweisner

Very exciting!!!!!  now just stay healthy and don't over-do it in training!!!!

LOL  I just saw Becker this week for something regarding a hamstring ligament.  But after this, yes I will stay healthy and not over do it.

- itri - 

tweisner

How did it go in the Powerlifting Competition this weekend, Haley?

Also, I didn't see anybody there my age this morning.  What is the oldest age category there today?  I was thinking I might could have signed up and won my age group.

- itri - 

Just sayin' - I know you probably dont believe in taping but it definitely helped my turf toe!  This KT tape works wonders.  Good Luck!

I would be a lot more excited if I didn't develop a shin splint on my left leg. I have really cut my running miles to get it to feel better. I am starting to get really nervous about the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICBWe-UbTo

Lori

tweisner

LOL  I just saw Becker this week for something regarding a hamstring ligament.  But after this, yes I will stay healthy and not over do it.

Well after a second visit to the Magical Dr. Becker, he backed off the hamstring thought and says it is my piriformis, again, that is giving me trouble.

Anyone ever heard of Chi Running?  I'm thinking of taking a workshop on how to run effortless and injury free.

- itri - 

Well after a second visit to the Magical Dr. Becker, he backed off the hamstring thought and says it is my piriformis, again, that is giving me trouble.

Anyone ever heard of Chi Running?  I'm thinking of taking a workshop on how to run effortless and injury free.

One thing that I've been doing a lot of that seems to help is running on grass as often as possible.

pschriver

The Y has offered Chi Running classes several times. I'm not sure who teaches it but I bet is a Y team member. FWIW, my shin is fine but my bike is now my biggest issue.

tweisner

I think you are thinking of the Tai Chi class.  I took that once.  Oh my....it is a little hard for me to wrap my mind around that stuff.  Talk about hocus pocus or Chinese yoga or something...

- itri - 

pschriver

I think you are thinking of the Tai Chi class.  I took that once.  Oh my....it is a little hard for me to wrap my mind around that stuff.  Talk about hocus pocus or Chinese yoga or something...

No it was definitely a Chi Running presentation. I was really struggling with my run and almost went. I had just started my Evolution in Running   sessions (Not the Barefeet version) at that time and didn't want to start 2 different programs at the same time. Tiffany may remember who did the presentation. I also think the girl from Fleet Feet (Sheila?) teaches Chi running but I could be wrong.

Has anyone done beach to battleship half?  Its in October.  I just hate not to do an IM "branded" event if I'm going to do one.  Augusta is sold out except charity.  Maybe Miami or Cozumel would be ok but not sure which to do.

Lori

Has anyone done beach to battleship half?  Its in October.  I just hate not to do an IM "branded" event if I'm going to do one.  Augusta is sold out except charity.  Maybe Miami or Cozumel would be ok but not sure which to do.

Haley Gann and Randy Parks and Eric Stone have done the half.  not sure who else.  I did the full and Nikki McCollum has done the full 2 or 3 times.  I would recommend doing it.  B2B was voted in the top 10 triathlons in the U.S. by triathlete magazine one year.  the half and full are on the same day, so there are tons of athletes in town, so you get that big race feeling that you get from IM.  Augusta has better crowd support for sure, but B2B is still a great race.  swim is wetsuit with the current in the intercoastal.  bike is flat. run is mostly flat but has a big bridge.

So I got talked into doing a tri in St. Pete this coming sunday.  It's huge!

here is the pro list: http://satriathlon.com/media/392437/2014_professional_-participant-list.pdf

and look how many people have signed up (as of last week i think):http://satriathlon.com/media/392440/2014-_olympic_participant-list.pdf

crazy!  i've heard a lot of studs do this race, so i'm going to get destroyed!

tweisner

That's very exciting.  You'll do great.  The awesome thing about that is seeing exactly how you do in a crowd like that.  You'll be so pumped you'll do better than you even expect.  Have fun and enjoy the whole experience.

- itri -